Start by marking “A Glitch in the World” as Want to Read:
A Glitch in the World

A Glitch in the World

Living on the colony world of Janus and faced with the pressures of college enrollment, Stuart Fergesson turns to his friend Dwayne for help in coping with his depression and anxiety. Dwayne's solution? Drugs. The hard kind. After the trip, Stuart finds the world no different than before, except for the feeling that something is wrong, a glitch in the world around him. Whi ...more
Published April 13th 2018 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Glitch in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glitch in the World

Leftjab
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 3.5. Curse you Goodreads for not giving half stars. Will figure out the rating when I finish this.

When I was growing up, there was a student in our high school several years older than me who committed suicide by jumping off a bridge. I didn’t know him at all, but knew who he was – he was very popular (I think class president even!) and well-liked – the type of person who accumulated endearing nicknames and about whom ill was not spoken. After high school, apparently he took
Leo McBride
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to sum up A Glitch In The World without straying too much into spoiler territory - for there is so much about this novel that is wrapped up in questions of identity, the uncertain nature of reality and issues of mental illness that it is difficult to say too much about it without giving the game away.

Let's start at the beginning. Stuart is a school student on a distant world, a colony that is wrestling with its own identity separate from Earth. Issues of politics swirl in the air arou
Rob Campbell
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart lives with his family on the planet Janus, an earth colony in the 23rd century, and is struggling with many of the same problems experienced by everyday teenagers the world over: the lack of friends, the self-loathing, the pressure of selecting his future education options and worst of all, a mental illness. Things go from bad to worse for Stuart when he and his only friend experiment with drugs, with unforeseen consequences. Then there’s Alissa, the girl that is suddenly paying him some ...more
Eve Jolly
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of disappointing

I was really interested about where the story was going but I was disappointed by where it went. Without spoiling it, it over explained some pretty basic concepts multiple times. It’s worth the read but feels incomplete.
Toby
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this a 3.5. There are definitely shades of P K Dick in A Glitch in the World, with a creative and slightly dark sci-fi story that deals more with the human element than the technology. I found the style easy to read, with some engaging moments.

I think if Drozd were to revisit this after more experience, especially with the help of a good editor, he could get a solid 4.5. The writing just needs to be refined a bit. Areas for improvement include:
-Characterisation - n
Peter Greenwell
More of a 2.5 out of 5, but a) the author was nice enough to give me a free advance copy and b) the whole thing is written with a fervent enthusiasm that propels you past some of the more deficient features of the novel. I could definitely see the influences of Philip K. Dick in this novel but the author either lacks Dick's cynicism or chose not to put it on display.

There's a few great ideas present here but they're mired in some unfortunate elements. The biggest minus for me was the dialogue.
Scott
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also appeared at my blog: https://steemit.com/review/@naquoya/n...

In my search for new science fiction novels, I stumbled upon Alex Drozd's recent novel called A Glitch In The World. Its premise and artwork seemed suitably dark, and the author calls himself a writer of philosophical science fiction, which immediately had me thinking about Philip K. Dick, which as a point of reference for me is a good one.

Whilst not in the calibre of most of PKD's material, A Glitch in the World is a still an enjoyable read, and an
Justin Bauer
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read ‘A Glitch in the World’ on a whim. Alex Drozd offers questions regarding the human condition through the scope of science fiction, and on the surface his vision of the future feels incredibly real.
Debate is used in ways that reflect upon contemporary issues with a futuristic spin. One of my favorites centered on the topic of music production. Computers and AI produce music, as there’s no human element in the popular songwriting process. One character prefers this, while another exp
Zack
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fairly interesting little science fiction adventure with a few problems:

Pros:
-Interesting plot dynamics
-Dark, pretty unexpected twist at the end
-Some interesting world-building aspects to it

Cons:
-The hero is just too whiny, too depressed, too stereotypically "lame" to really care about; he's just annoying at certain points
-The plot doesn't really feel like it gets going until 2/3 of the way through the book, which is disappointing a
Susan Chamberlain
Marianne Reese
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read about a teen in another world, who is a social outcast and hates everything. He struggles with mental illness, depression, strained family relationships, and the tribulations of adolescence. An experiment with drugs causes a glitch that has serious impacts on his existence.
Sean Randall
I always thought the phrase was convenience store, rather than convenient store. But maybe I'm wrong, not a big issue. Not a very gripping story, perhaps interesting on a philosophical level but the threads were a little tenuous for my liking. Not badly written, but nor particularly well-told.
Happy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I liked the hard science. Did not like all the nonessential chit chat.
Daniel Norrish
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic glimpse into a future that’s terrifying and far too possible. If you enjoy existential drama and sci-fi mystery, you’ll love this.
Lou Kinsey
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Makes you think

Short but engaging - coming of age meets reality of everything.
Shudders your spine as it makes you ask “am I real?”
Ian MacDonald
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow,

Contemporary scifi needs more authors like Drozd.

"A Glitch in the World" is a heavy hitting, yet digestible piece of philosophical hard science-fiction. Its unpretentious, yet still manages to deliver on themes of existentialism, fatalism, and hard-science.
The depressed attitude of the protagonist is both relatable and funny. I could go on, but my point is simple: you should probably just do yourself a favor and read it.

Reminiscent of Philip K. Dick
Marc Diepstraten
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite like it. Reminiscent of PKD. A nice idea with regards to matter and antimatter. Certain turns in the book are rather abrupt, and with the sometimes little information provided leaves things Nd events to guessing and imagination. I think due to the fact that the writer has it in his head where the story goes, however hasn't really written it down as such. Recommended however and it be interesting to see future work.
Kieran McAndrew
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart is finishing his basic education on the colony world of Janus and is pushed by his parents to begin his advanced studies in Programming. Stuart struggles with events in his life as he begins to transit from childhood into the adult universe.

The novel has some interesting science fiction ideas and resolutely captures the timeless pathological fears of all teenagers. With some elements of wry humour, a healthy dose of paranoia, and a tone which echoes Philip K. Dick, this book m
Erica Courtemanche
I was asked to be an ARC reader for this book, and to be honest I didn’t think I’d like sci-fi novels. After reading this I have happily been proven wrong.
Roy Oswald
Mar 11, 2018
Dave
Jan 06, 2018
Tom Kranz
Dark story of teenage angst and paranoia set in a 23rd century off-Earth colony. Interesting sci Fi elements take a backseat to relentless doomsday themes as the teenage protagonist attempts to separate reality from drug-induced fantasy.
Michael Nash