Start by marking “The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)” as Want to Read:
The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)

The Judge

(Paul Madriani #4)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  4,917 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
When Judge Armando Acosta is indicted on charges of soliciting a prostitute, attorney Paul Madriani is forced to take up the case. But when new developments lead to the death of Acosta's arresting officer, Madriani wonders if the judge is involved. Has he unwittingly pick up a client who may send him to an early grave? The Judge is all-out thrilling entertainment.
Published May 1st 2001 by Jove (first published January 3rd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Judge, please sign up.
Rebecca Burke I’m listening to the audiobook The Judge. It is my opinion that the reader is excellent and adds to the suspense.

Diane
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent read! thriller,plot twist of a storyline...good to the very last page (paperback!)
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Stephen
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Armando Acosta is a judge disliked by nearly everyone-- especially the corrupt police officers who are the subject of a grand jury investigation conducted by Acosta. Acosta is arrested on a phony charge of solicitation and is suspended from the bench. However, when the decoy in the arrest turns up dead, it looks as though Acosta will be vacating the bench permanently.

Acosta enlists the help of one of his least favorite attorneys, Paul Madriani, to help him beat the murder charge. In defending t
Tom Swift
Good courtroom drama. I have enjoyed this series.
Jill Manske
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even though this book was written 20 years ago, it still feels fresh and current. Paul Madriani is brought in to defend an unpopular judge accused of murdering a woman who was a witness against him in a prostitution sting. The plot also includes dirty cops and overly ambitious attorneys aspiring to public office. "The Judge" is very well-written with unforgettable characters. It's an early Madriani, who is still evolving into the crusader defense attorney we recognize from later books. You're ne ...more
Amanda Patterson

Much weaker
Than the flesh.
Connie
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like courtroom drama, then this series is for you. I find the back and forth between lawyer and witnesses so interesting and love how things fall together. I especially loved the ending in this one with payback being a b****!

This was published in 1995, so the introduction of cell phones as regular business does not seem to be a factor here. In fact I don't even think they were mentioned. Refreshing!

I am giving this 5 out of 5 stars and can't wait to see what happens next in this series.
Jan
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book, good story, written this review twice, and it went to never never land.
Lawyer Paul Madriani takes on a crooked union, a crooked police department and defends a Judge he dislikes. Along the way, the police department try and get him jailed and disbarred, and will stoop to nothing to stop him from finding out the truth. Twists and turns.
Dale
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong plot + annoying writing habits = 4 stars

The Judge is my second Martini book (the first as an audiobook) and I am almost embarrassed to say that I really liked it. I didn't realize that I was such a literary elitist (especially if you looked at the stuff I've reviewed) but deep-down inside I guess that there are just some books that I want to hate simply because everyone else likes them.

Well, there's a reason why Martini's books have been perennial best-sellers - they're entertaining le
Charissa Wilkinson
Overview: Paul has gotten the kind of client that causes him to question his beliefs as a defense attorney. A judge, that he personally cannot stand, is caught up in a prostitution sting. The case mutates into a murder charge when the star witness, the decoy, is found dead of decidedly unnatural causes. Paul is willing to let his newest law partner take the reins of the case, until the prosecutor pulls a dirty trick. Now all that stands between Judge Acosta and a jail sentence is Paul Madriani a ...more
Cathy DuPont
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Duh to me. I read this last year and forgot to enter it, I guess. That put me one book closer to reaching my goal. All I need to do is find a couple of more I forgot to enter and I get the big award for meeting my goal. Big Award. I want my big award.
Robert Laviano
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good Martini, right to the last drop. Good story, familiar characters and suspenseful right to the end.
Crystal Davis-coan
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From my previous list- audiobook
Nolan
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nls-audio
It's rare when life manages to touch the seemingly untouchable, but that's the scenario Martini describes so well in this book. One day, Armando Costa is an arrogant judge who has condescended without discrimination to lawyers who must practice in front of him. Then suddenly his life is overturned when an undercover female officer is murdered and the seemingly untouchable judge is arrested for the killing.

Madriani is asked to defend the judge, and this is the tense page-turning story of that def
Colette Hinton
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by Steve Martini and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot was generally well planned out (there were a few loose ends that I would like to have had tidied up, but nothing that interfered with the story-line.) Characters were well fleshed out, in fact they were so well fleshed out, that the main female protagonist irritated me an immense amount. I have always loved court room dramas and this one did not disappoint.
BEV
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

As was true in Martini's previous 3 novels, this one starts out slow and a little prodding, but then it suddenly grabs you and takes you on an enjoyable ride. The story isn't really even about the judge, it's all about Madriani and his dogged pursuit of the truth. On to the next one.
Emily Higgins
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Attorney Paul Madriani has an adverse risk relationship with Judge Acosta. However, when Judge Acosta is accused of murder, Paul finds himself reluctantly agreeing to defend the judge.
Connie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF. This was just another lawyer in trouble getting a big case, blah, blah, blah. I thought the story was too slow and it seemed to me that a lot of the dialogue was immature and sophomoric.
Jdias
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Better than a 3 but just not a 4.
Martha
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Great story where I loved and hated the same people.
Elizabeth m
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Didn’t like the bad guy at all. Loved Paul, of course!
Lilly Beharry
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Donn Lorber
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
As the lawyers wrangle the intrigue grows.. spoiler alert the good guys win
Chad
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This was my first Steve Martini book, I have to admit, it was a little difficult to get past the stupid name of the author. It feels too much like a gimmick. Of course, now I'm hoping that Martini is a pen name and not the author's real name.

Anyway, the book is good, but not great. I was reading a Michael Connelly Lincoln Lawyer book at the same time and it was easy to see who the better author (Connelly, in case you've never read his stuff). But this book was good and although I had determined
Chris
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: guilt/GR
Shelves: steve-martini, ill
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Plot synopsis:

Shenanigans in the police union have attracted the attention of an abrasive judge. He is leading a grand jury investigation into the union's finances when he is arrested for prostitution and later murder.

Paul Madriani is dragged into the case as the judge's defense attorney as a favor to a friend a
Marilyn
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Paul Madriani doesn't lose any sleep over judge Armando Acosta until the judge finds himself arrested for prostitution and then murder. As much as he dislikes Acosta, Madriani can't believe the charges against him. In a circuitous route, Madriani ends up defending the judge. Because of the sensitivity of the issue, all judges have recused themselves and a judge from Washington state comes, with his boots & cowboy hat, to oversee. The battle of the brains becomes a chuckling dual, but truth a ...more
John
Sep 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: legal thriller fans
Steve Martini is one of the best legal thriller writers. His protagonist, Paul Madriani, is in my opinion his most interesting (and certainly his most successful) character. And The Judge is (also in my opinion) the most successful novel in the series.

There is a scene in The Judge (that I will describe only as the 'Cable TV Man Scene') that is so brilliantly written, so tense and beautifully unfolding, that should you not have read Martini and should you read this one scene, you will be a fan f
Kellie
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
(#4 in the Paul Madriani series) Another great courtroom drama. Another surprising and slightly disappointing ending. The judge Madriani has become to hate (Acosta) has been charged with solicitation…and then murder. Paul ends up defending the judge against the same DA who fired his lover, Lenore. There are courtroom scenes that tend to drag a little but I love how the author pulls out the element of surprise when Madiani is presenting evidence. Will be interesting to see what happens next.
Ray
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as clean as a Tourot or Grisham, but still entertaining. To me, Grisham develops a story line beautifully, and you don't have to suspend reality, with the story line being carefully constructed and developed, all very believable. In the Judge, there were a few, albeit very few, times where I felt myself feeling, "well that's not very likely". But those times weren't enough to interfere with the story, and it was still an enjoyable legal thriller.

• The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Final Judgment
  • The Associate
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County, #6)
  • Resolved (Butch Karp, #15)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
Martini's first career was in journalism. He worked as a newspaper reporter for the Los Angeles Daily Journal, the largest legal newspaper in the country covering the state, the local courts and the civic center beat. In 1970 he became the newspaper’s first correspondent at the State Capitol in Sacramento and later its bureau chief. There he specialized in legal and political coverage. During this ...more

Paul Madriani (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2)
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Double Tap (Paul Madriani, #8)
  • Shadow of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
  • Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)
  • The Rule of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)