Start by marking “Hong Kong Noir” as Want to Read:
Hong Kong Noir

Hong Kong Noir

Fourteen of the city’s finest authors explore the dark heart of the Pearl of the Orient in haunting stories of depravity and despair.

Akashic Books continues its award-winning series of original noir anthologies, launched in 2004 with Brooklyn Noir. Each book comprises all new stories, each one set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the respective city. In Hong K
Published December 4th 2018 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Hong Kong Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hong Kong Noir

Start your review of Hong Kong Noir
Madeline O'Rourke
Hong Kong Noir is a very interesting collection of short stories. I appreciated the sheer amount of information that comes across about Hong Kong: the politics, the culture, the history. All of this was very much enhanced through having some stories set pre-handover and some post-handover.

As for the actual stories, like any short story collection, it was hit-and-miss. I didn't actively dislike any of the stories, which was great, but there was only a few that I truly enjoyed. On the whole, I wi
Tonstant Weader
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Hong Kong Noir continues Akashic Books globe-trotting series of noir anthologies, taking readers on a trip to the noir side of Hong Kong this time. Hong Kong has a unique history as a British colony until 1997 when their lease expired and Hong Kong became part of China. Going from a capitalist hot spot to a communist region, no matter the guarantees of autonomy was a systemic shock and that transition features in several stories. As an international commercial center, it’s no surprise that sex w ...more
Daniel Sepúlveda
Puntaje: 2.8 con aproximacion a 3.
Este libro lo recibi como colaboracion con la editorial Akashic Books.

Honestamente me esperaba mucho mas de este libro. Al tratarse de historias que revelan el lado oscuro de Hong Kong, siento que me falto mucha mas emocion. Si bien los relatos tratan temas fuertes, siento que los autores no lograron desarrollar la historia o el contexto/ambientacion lo suficiente para engarcharme como lector. Me parecieron historias un poco superficiales.
Me esperaba mas oscuri
Glenda
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Hong Kong Noir offers a little bit of everything dark and disturbing. From a new version of a standard ghost story (Ghost of Yulan Past by Jason Y. Ng) to a one-night stand gone wrong (A View to Die For by Christina Liang), I was entertained and, with the exception of a couple of stories that fell under my 2 star category, enjoyed this latest collection from Akashic Books.
I received this book from librarything giveaways in exchange for an honest review.
Melisende
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A city with a long history and persistent dark side, these tales are set from WWII onwards. The ghosts of the old city emerge to tell their tales - a very different style to the modern conception of noir but well worth the reading.
Kathy Chung
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely collection of stories. It's divided into 4 parts. Each parts have between 3 to 4 stories. Of the 4, I like part 1 and 4 the most. Partly because it have ghostly encounter.
The other 2 were good too.
Nihal Vrana
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Well, it is not a bad compilation per see, but I have just read it after "Best American Mystery Stories of the Century" and after that, this is like watching a Hallmark movie after watching Full Metal Jacket. I mean, the stories were okay; some of them trying to be gritty without having the necessary involvement in the worlds they are talking about and it shows (it is always a recipe for a bad story if you write a secret face of society story (brothels, junkies, etc.) with your middle-class sens ...more
Kimberley
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A strong collection; each story with as dark of a twist as the one prior. This latest Noir title—via Akashic Books—is yet another deep dive into the underbelly of a foreign locale.

The book is broken into four parts, organized around a common theme, with the goal of leaving the reader to his or her imagination by the time the tale ends.

Jason Y. Ng starts things off with “Ghost of Yulan Past”: a mysterious shopkeeper intrigues a passerby. A great beginning but from there it was a series of hits
Morris Berg
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff here, especially if you know or are interested in Hong Kong. Don't be put off by the mention of ghosts - the ones with ghosts aren't horror stories, but they illuminate the place of ghosts in Chinese culture. There are also stories involving crime and corruption, and all the other fun things that the city is known for. You won't go wrong.
Laurel
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2018
Hong Kong Noir is a consistently good collection of short stories. I particularly enjoyed the concentration of ghost stories and the supernatural. The first section was my favorite because of this, but there was a particularly eerie story in the last section, Fourteen, that was also representative of the otherworldly. I enjoyed a rather Hitchockian story by Tiffany Hawk, You Deserve More. The Akashic Noir series offers not only an opportunity to get a feel for a city through the lens of fiction ...more
Ivy Ngeow
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hong Kong Noir cannot be read quickly. You have to keep putting it down after every story and breathe in. This is because of the very rich, evocative and powerful storytelling. There are 14 stories in this collection, and as you know, 14 is unlucky in Chinese because it sounds like sut sei (must die). The readers' expectation is that this collection is a decadent box of chocolates - dark, bitter and ominous, as noir should be.
I have always been a fan of noir fiction. I like it so much I wrote a
Jocelyn Eikenburg
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: china, asia, fiction
Hong Kong is a city with a sordid past of its own. After all, it has seen pirates, the Opium Wars, Japanese occupation in World War II and many other dark chapters, which also make for great stories.

So naturally, this side of the city deserves a literary nod – which is why it’s fitting that Akashic Books recently released the anthology Hong Kong Noir, edited by Jason Y. Ng and Susan Blumberg-Kason.

Of course, it has 14 stories – a requirement of the publisher, but also rather apropos since the nu
Karen Kao
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Hong Kong Noir is a collection of short stories edited by Jason Y. Ng and Susan Blumberg-Kason. The collection was published in 2018 and already it’s taken on a sepia tone.

At the time of publication, Jason Ng was president of Hong Kong PEN, an organization devoted to protecting free speech in Hong Kong and elsewhere in China. This is no small feat and carries with it considerable risks.

Hong Kong Noir is not a political collection. One story mentions the Umbrella Movement. Another uses the han
Janet
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I have really enjoyed Akashic’s Noir series written around the world by authors native to the featured country. It’s a great way to do some authentic armchair traveling and to become acquainted with writers that otherwise might not be available in the U.S.

There were some good stories in this collection. My favorites included the stories set in the time of the British handoff.

But, as a whole, this collection was not one of my favorites. Several stories were rather predictable, especially those in
Janet Mary Cobb
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Because this is a series of stories, I could pick it up and put it down more easily than a novel. I originally bought this book because my friend is one of the editors -- and being completely ignorant of the noir genre, I didn't realize that it would be a somewhat dark read. This isn't typically my genre, but found these stories pulling me in - I just had to read slowly. I also enjoyed the memories it conjured of Hong Kong (where I lived for some time in my 20s).
Abby
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t usually gravitate towards thrillers, however I enjoyed reading all of the Hong Kong references, having been there. The stories had some really creative twists. It was a thoughtful curation, and I liked how the book was divided into parts too.
Daniela
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: last-teen-summer
14 stories— different types and qualities, an enjoyable read overall. Reminiscent of hk, but meant more for a reader unfamiliar w it.
T.M. Tam
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's an enjoyable read with a few excellent stories. The one about Cheung Chau is beautiful. A few others are less engaging. But any books/ compilations about Hong Kong are great for me.
Hugh Sturrock
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Have always enjoyed the NOIR series from Akashic and this HK installment was no different. More hits than misses.
Martin Fuller
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent selection of short stories...as the title suggests, many.of the stories are indeed very dark, some morbid , some fascinating... great read
Marissa
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of stories. A very dark but satisfying read. I look forward to my next visit to Hong Kong, when I will be able to see the city with a new and nuanced perspective.
Kristin Mcdaniel
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly entertaining and wonderfully dark, this is a gem of a book. The stories take you to the brink of death and beyond. I was mesmerized by the locations and stories behind the stories.
Robbert
Jul 05, 2019
Kevin Ashby
Feb 16, 2020
Jaylani Adam
Mar 08, 2019
Nae
rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2018

• Sydney Noir
  • A Beginner's Guide to Japan: Observations and Provocations
  • The Secret Letter
  • The Borrowed
  • Indestructible Hulk, Volume 1: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God
  • Big Sister, Little Sister, Red Sister: Three Women at the Heart of Twentieth-Century China
  • Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo
  • Carrion Comfort
  • Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, Vol. 1: Rage
  • The Ax
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 1: Reverie
  • La Magicienne (Les vieux fourneaux, #4)
  • Deadpool vs. X-Force
Born in Hong Kong, Jason Y. Ng is a globe-trotter who spent his entire adult life in Italy, the United States and Canada before returning to his birthplace to rediscover his roots. He is a full-time lawyer, a published author and a freelance writer, contributing regularly to the South China Morning Post (SCMP), TimeOut, EJInsight, and Hong Kong Free Press.

Jason is the bestselling author of "HONG

News & Interviews

“We think when we go abroad we’ll be free, but we’re not. Wherever there are Chinese, it’s there, like a great hydra. Its tentacles stretch into student digs, university lecture halls, Chinese restaurants. All smiles, offering banquets and cash, it slips into foreign institutions. For Chinese there’s no escape. It’s in the food, in the tea, in the air. You find it in a nod or a whisper, a tap on the arm, a few careless words marked on your file in the Chinese Embassy. The Chinese Communist Party, the most powerful organization the world has ever known. Old stench in new bottles.” 0 likes
“My thirty-three-year-old body is well past school age, seriously overused. I still trust it like a cabbie trusts his old taxi. Not perfect all right, but will do the trick at least one more night, then one more night. My sunless flaccidity still looks good in dim light, good enough. Most men like pale skin, and are incapable of noticing its subtle defects once I’ve got them by the quivering dick. Occasionally, a jerk may make a few smart-ass comments too many. I’ll tell him to go fuck his own mother instead. If he freaks out, well, he’ll have to talk to Ah Bill or one of his buddies. The girls in this building are protected by the 14K triads. Ah Bill is our resident da dun security manager, invisible unless there’s trouble.” 0 likes