Start by marking “Queen of Nod” as Want to Read:
Queen of Nod

Queen of Nod

(The Balance #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  16 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Alice hoped to find peace after the death of the Red Queen. Instead, she faces a new foe: a plague of madness that threatens to bring Nod to its knees, shaking the foundations of the afterlife. Forced to flee from her home and abandon her throne, she is led on a journey that has the potential to remake or break her.

From the forest world of the Fae to the expanse of the mul
Paperback
Published November 20th 2018 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Nod, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of Nod

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Queen of Nod
Justine
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
She knew the storm would have to come, because without rain, there was no life, and without life, there was no meaning.

Once again the fate of Nod rests in the hands of Alice, now Queen of the realm. With hopes that her people can finally find the peace they deserve, a whole new threat bears down on the unsuspecting population, a threat that could tear apart the very fabric of the multiverse itself. Alice embarks on a quest riddled with monsters, pain, and sacrifice, in order to keep the promise
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
Excerpt from my review - originally published at Offbeat YA.

Pros: As with Book 1, imaginative, multilayered tale weaving lots of literary and mythological references into a fresh story. Evocative prose.
Cons: The many (often disjointed) worlds and characters will set your head spinning, at least until a second read. Also, this one ends with a half-cliffhanger.
WARNING! Contains many elements of horror and gore.
Will appeal to: As with Book 1, both the young and the adult reader seeking a strong, d
Brandy {The Review Booth}
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alice in Wonderland, mythology, retellings, dark stories, fantasy
The Balance series is not something you should start out of order - if you want any of it to make sense you should start with Child of Nod. Upon the defeat of the Red Queen follows yet another trial for Alice. The madness that descends upon Nod is even more widespread and deadly than the original problematic Red Queen - because it doesn't stop with Nod, it spreads. There wasn't a return of the Red Queen or much more of an explanation of her and her ties to Alice, which I suppose I'm alright with ...more
Pop Bop
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Worthy Sequel, (or, really, Continuation)

In "Child of Nod" we were able to reimagine "Alice in Wonderland" as a dark, violent, and twisty tale of a land somewhere between life and death. A lot of the fun was in seeing the distorted parallels between the book and the original "Alice". That book had an open ending, although all the plot threads were tied up.

This sequel picks up where the first book left off, in that Alice is now Queen and things have more or less settled down. Things stay settle
Matt McAbee
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alice is now Queen of Nod and her queendom falls under attack from birds that can say one word to a person and turn them to a bloodthirsty killing machine. You race along with Alice to find a way to stop this new evil with wonderful new characters and new worlds to explore. This is a fun fast paced ride that keeps you holding on waiting to see what turns are next.
Jordan
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

I read and reviewed the first book in The Balance series, Child of Nod, earlier this year and was deeply impressed by this darkly imaginative take on the classic Alice in Wonderland story. In this series, Alice wakes up to find herself not in Wonderland, but in Nod, a corrupted fairy tale land where she also discover that she is, in fact, dead. In Child of Nod we got to know Alice as she discovered exactly where she was and what her purpose was, and
Vivienne
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, strange
My thanks to Curiosity Quills Press for an eARC via NetGalley of this second book in The Balance series.

I will not say too much about the plot so as not to spoil anything about how ‘The Child of Nod’ concludes. Suffice to say that after a period of respite, Alice’s adventures continue with a fresh threat that brings new allies and adversaries as well as some returning characters. Revenants (posh zombies) join the ranks of encountered creatures.

It’s a complex, imaginative world. I will admit tha
J.D. DeHart
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CW Snyder packs creativity and energy into a fantasy story that grips and holds on. Page leads to page.

Snyder handles the fantasy deftly, balancing characters who stir interest and a full-fledged world.
Rebecca Crunden
SIGN ME UP. \o/
Heather Bennett
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Queen of The Nod waa a fascinating tale about Alice facing a new evil foe attacking Nod. Along her journey to find a cure she meets good and evil creatures. The book was well written and had interesting characters. I enjoyed this wonderful fantasy.
Sarah Z
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this book better than its predecessor and it was just as action packed. I really enjoy how the author incorporates content from various myths, legends, and fables. This book focuses on Alice (as in a much darker Alice in Wonderland) and her attempt to restore balance to the Land of Nod as Corvax tries to destroy it. A myriad of new characters are introduced including a possible new love inte
Carly Wilson
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Queen of Nod is the second book in the balance series by C W Snyder. I was given a copy of this book to review by Parliament Press, and having read the first book ‘Child Of Nod’ earlier in the year I could not wait.

This series is a fantastic dark and twisted spin of one of my favourite childhood book, Alice in Wonderland. In book 2 it follows Alice in her new role as queen, who now embarks on a desperate quest to keep her people safe and protected.

Drawing upon unlikely alliances, and with the
Emily
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
KD
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: earc
Thank You Parliament House Press for a copy of this book.

Queen Of Nod is the follow on from Child Of Nod a dark and twisted version of Alice In Wonderland. This one had me hooked like book one, in queen of nod Alice has to save her people from a dangerous foe, we get a lot of new worlds and characters in this one which was great but Alice and zee are still my favourites. it was and dark and twisted as book one which I loved and im looking forward to the next one!
Lauren Kelsen
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Queen of Nod almost as much as Child of Nod. It was a half a star difference, and really the only reason for that was I was a little lost at the beginning of the book with the introduction of the new characters. Overall this was a 4.5 star read for me!

The plot is solid and moves right along, and the characters are phenomenal, creepy, mad, and very likable! I love that there are lessons that Alice and other characters learn throughout the books, it really gives that classic fairytale f
I'm not going to lie, there is a ton going on in this book. If you have never read the first book, STOP, go back, read the first book. This is not one of those series where you may be able to figure out what is going on by starting in the middle of the series. If you're like me and read the first one, but it's been a while, I would recommend going back and reading the first one before starting this one. I didn't do that, and there were times when I was confused just because I couldn't remember a ...more
Artemiz
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
The Queen of Nod is once again mix of all kind on fantasy adventure stories. Besides Alice in wonderland and all the other stories I probably do not know, were two links that especially stood out for me – Westlife’s second season and Neil Gaiman’s American Gods.

The fantasy in this story is remarkable and even if it gets too dark sometimes, it’s still enjoyable till the end.
Heather
Jan 31, 2020
Israa Ahmed
Jan 31, 2020

• Arms of the Ocean
  • The Storyteller's Daughter (Storyteller's Series, #1)
  • The Hollow Gods (The Chaos Cycle Duology, #1)
  • Wire Wings
  • The Redpoint Crux
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Never Die
  • Vampires of Portlandia
  • Shout
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Order of Dust (For Humans, For Demons #1)
  • House of Shadows (Ghosts and Shadows,#1)
  • Norman 2: The True Story of a Possessed Doll's Revenge
  • Night Warden (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #3)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • The Aberrationists
  • The Souls of Us (The Halves of Us series, Book 3)

The Balance (2 books)
  • Child of Nod (The Balance, #1)