Start by marking “Her Secret Son” as Want to Read:

Published May 28th 2019 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Her Secret Son, please sign up.
Cathy Geha Just saw it listed on NetGalley today, Linda. Will request it having just seen this comment ;)

Start your review of Her Secret Son
Kaceey
2.75*
I may not have been the best match for this novel.
Hannah Mary McKinnon's previous novel The Neighbors was brilliant! It’s sitting pretty and proudly on my favorites’ shelf. Let’s just say this one fell short of that same magic (for me).

Josh’s life goes sideways after the sudden death of his partner of five years, Grace. He’s now left with the responsibility of raising Grace’s son Logan alone. It seems they never had the fore-sight to discuss guardianship or adoption. No arrangements were ev
Susanne  Strong
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
2.5* Stars rounded down.

A Campy Suspense.

Remember those shows we used to watch in the 70-80’s after we got out of Junior High and High School? Those Afterschool and Schoolbreak Specials? Well “Her Secret Son” by Hannah Mary McKinnon reminded me of those. It was campy and far-fetched, yet I tore through it in a matter of hours desperate to find out what was going to happen to Josh and seven year-old Logan after everything in their lives fell apart. It was an interesting ride and while I thought I
Brenda -Traveling Sister
I have been putting off reviewing this one in hopes that I might feel differently than my first reaction after reading this one. I haven’t. This one was just not for me. It pretty much hit on everything that I dislike in a story. I really wanted to love it and I feel really bad voicing my dislike for this one. It doesn't happen often but when it does maybe I need to give myself a break and just voice my dislike.

The Traveling Sisters Three (I just made that name up) Norma, Lindsay and I loved Th
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Josh’s girlfriend of many years, Grace, dies in a tragic accident leaving her seven-year-old son, Logan, to Josh. While not tied biologically, they need each other.

Josh begins the process of adopting Logan, and he has difficulty finding the necessary paperwork. Grace may have been hesitant to have Josh adopt Logan for some other reasons.

Josh doesn’t give up trying to find out about Logan and Grace’s past, and as he does, he uncovers bigger secrets, dark ones, concerning Logan.

Her Secret Son is m
Larry H
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Suspenseful and poignant, this is a powerful look at what makes a family—genetics or love.

Josh and Grace have been together for a number of years now. They’re deeply in love and Josh couldn’t love Grace’s seven-year-old son, Logan, any more if he were Josh’s biological child.

When Grace dies in an accident, Josh’s life is turned upside down. Not only is he overcome with grief, but he needs to help Logan come to terms with his mother’s death. Given all the turmoil in both of their lives, it seems
marilyn
Grace, partner of five years, to Josh, and mother to seven year old Logan, dies in an accident. Sadly Grace was always hesitant to speak of Logan's first two years, before she met and partnered with Josh, so when Josh starts digging for documents and information about Logan's past, so that he can become Logan's legal guardian, at first Josh can't find any records. Deeper digging leads to finding paperwork that causes Josh to wonder what Grace was hiding and what lies she may have told. Recoverin ...more
bookswithpaulette
I really enjoyed the premise of this story. Grace and Josh have been together for 5 years, when they meet Grace had a 2 year old son (Logan). Its just the three of them Josh, Grace and Logan. A tragic accident changes their lives forever, Grace dies and Josh is left to pickup the pieces.

Josh has the support of his sister to help him get through losing Grace, she helps him with the funeral and helps with Logan. Grace and Josh were never married, Logan is not biologically his, but Josh loves Logan
Berit☀️✨
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
How far are you willing to go for the ones you love? Hannah Mary McKinnon has written an addictive tension filled story that kept me on my toes. This is one of those books that you want to make sure you make time for before picking up, because you’re not going to want to put it down. Imagine this... Your significant other dies leaving you with the responsibility of taking care of her seven-year-old son Logan. You are young so you never made arrangements as to guardianship in case she died, but i ...more
Kendall
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Let me start out by saying how much of a fan I am of Hannah Mary McKinnon!

My goodness did I devour her first novel The Neighbors. I was SOOO excited to read her next novel Her Secret Son.

I once again devoured this novel within a few days and was desperate to find out what would happen between Josh and seven year old Logan after the death of his wife/mother.

So, unfortunately this one didn't work as well as The Neighbors for me. I felt it was a tad bit far fetched for me... especially at the end.
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
3.5 stars..rounded down

They say the lucky ones experience an incredible, life-defining moment, a moment they can point back to as they second everything changed.

Josh and Grace have been partners since Logan was two, he's now seven. Josh has wanted to get married to Grace and adopt Logan, however Grace always pushes it off. One day, Grace dies in a tragic accident outside their house. Josh is grieving but also knows he must take action to get legal guardianship of Logan before his Dad he's ne
Jayme
It was “love at first sight” for Josh when he met Grace, and her baby, Logan. And, Grace loved Josh too.

So why wouldn’t she accept his marriage proposals or allow him to formally adopt Logan?

Josh is about to find out.

When Josh goes in search of Logan’s birth certificate, after Grace dies in a tragic accident, he gets answers to questions he didn’t even realize were questions he should’ve been asking?

Let me start by saying that “The Neighbors”, was a 4 star read for me, and I was really looki
Patricia
When his partner of 5 years dies unexpectedly, Josh realizes he needs to look into adopting her son, Logan. Josh begins to realize there is something very wrong when there is no birth certificate, and his partner has never claimed a child on her tax returns. As Josh begins to investigate, this story gets more and more interesting. Be prepared for an explosive ending which you will never see coming!
Kimberly Belle
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Her Secret Son, Hannah Mary McKinnon captivates with a story just as engrossing as her first. After the sudden death of his longtime partner, Josh will have to navigate dark secrets in his partner’s past in order to get legal custody of her son, a boy he loves as his own. An engrossing mix of suspense, grief, and family drama, Her Secret Son is a powerful tale of the lengths parents will go to care for their children and ultimately, the true meaning of family.
DeAnn
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
3 fantastic premise stars (5 for premise 3 for execution)

I really enjoyed Hannah Mary McKinnon’s earlier book – “The Neighbors” – so I started this one with high expectations. This book has a fantastic premise – what do you when your long-time partner tragically dies, and you start guardianship paperwork on her 7-year-old son – only to discover that things are not as they seem?

Josh and Logan have a fantastic relationship, and both are battling their grief over losing Grace. Logan has some issue
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
WoW, is all I can say. I read this book in a few hours and I am still in awe. Mckinnon had me on the edge of my seat. I had to know all about Grace's son Logan and where he came from. The twists and turns were so very well executed. This is not a book to be missed. I HIGHLY recommend it.
I gave this book 5 stars. Run and get your copy.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Hannah Mary McKinnon is back at it again with taught family drama where one thread coming loose leads to the unraveling of the entire quilt. In Her Secret Son, Grace's sudden death is that unraveling thread for Grace's partner and their son Josh, who Josh has been a father figure to for his 7 years of life, but never legally. While trying to secure his rightful guardianship, Josh uncovers more than he could have ever fathomed about Grace and his quest sends him on a desperate search for answers. ...more
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Let’s hear it for the Dads!

I recently read another book and was telling people how refreshing it was because it was about a great Dad (not by blood) as the main character. Something we rarely see! And this book has one too! And I LOVED IT and I think you will too!

In Her Secret Son, Josh is in a really tough spot. He’s lost his love Grace, and finds himself a single Dad to her son Logan. He’s been there for everything since Logan was tiny, but even though he’s not Logan’s biological father – he w
Heather
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Hannah Mary McKinnon!
Laura • lauralovestoread
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-arcs
I seem to have a thing for domestic dramas, and Her Secret Son was just the family drama!

I loved the secrets that start to unravel as Josh tries to get to the bottom of what was going on with Grace. Why so many secrets and what wasn’t she telling Josh?

I felt sympathetic towards Josh, and I really enjoyed seeing his interactions and bond with Logan. Overall, I enjoyed this compelling read!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 stars!

*thank you to the author and netgalley for this free copy for review. All opinions are my ow
Susan
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library

Hannah Mary McKinnon

HER SECRET SON is the first book I've ever read by Hannah Mary McKinnon and it definitely won't be the last. The twists and turns keep coming and I had to know how it was going to end! Every time I thought I knew where this story was going, a few pages later, Ms. McKinnon threw me for a loop and I knew I was wrong! I'm kicking myself for not reading this wonderful novel sooner. I knew I was going to love this story just by the description. Don't forget your tiss
Suzanne thebookblondie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Her Secret Son (#72 in 2019)

How far would you go to protect the ones you love…when they may not be yours to protect? When Josh’s longtime partner, Grace, dies in a tragic accident, he is left with a mess of grief—and full custody of her seven-year-old son, Logan. While not his biological father, Josh has been a dad to Logan in every way that counts, and with Grace gone, Logan needs him more than ever. Wanting to do right by Logan, Josh begins the process of becoming his legal guardian—something
Natasha Niezgoda
So good until the end. Wah wah!

Synopsis: Josh’s world spirals out of control when his girlfriend tragically passes away. Now left to care for her son (Logan), Josh looks into legal adoption, a promise he made to Grace should anything like this ever happen. But he can’t seem to find Logan’s birth certificate or any paperwork that legitimizes Logan’s existence. Scared and confused, Josh, alongside his sister and her fiancé, embarks on a twisted journey trying to figure out where Logan came from!

Cu
Amy
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I think my expectations for what this book would be weren’t accurate at all and it unfortunately made this one not the best for me in the end. I always talk about how having the right expectations about a book before picking it up helps me SO much and I really wish I would’ve known before I started this that it’s not a thriller at all, the authors last book, The Neighbors was a thriller and I stupidly assumed this would be as well. At best I would say this is a suspense, but really it’s more of ...more
Shalini
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was quite striking, a family drama which soon turned into a thriller.

Josh's partner Grace died suddenly, and he became the sole caretaker of her 7 year old son Logan. He needed the child's birth certificate to apply for guardianship. That started the ball rolling as there was no document for Logan other than his vaccination certificate. Josh's need to get to the answers raised the pitch of the book so much that I was rolling in excitement too.

My first book by Hannah Mary McKinnon, this
Frank Phillips
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent mystery, not a thriller in the least though, IMO. Definitely not as good as this author's first novel was. Still a fan though and looking forward to the next release!
Tammy
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Secret Son is a fast paced story full of suspense! Hannah Mary McKinnon kept me up late while I tried to figure out the ending. By the way, I did not guess the ending! Loved it!!
This is a total Lifetime Movie of a book--melodramatic and over the top, but also fast paced and completely engrossing! It's told in first person by Josh, whose partner, Grace, dies suddenly. What Josh discovers after Grace's death leads him to believe that she wasn't completely honest with him about where her son, who Josh has parented for the last five years, came from. This leads Josh on a search for the truth, which of course puts him in the midst of secrets and danger. I don't think this wi ...more
Paula DeBoard
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a thrill to receive an early copy of this book.
McKinnon weaves a tale of domestic suspense so gripping, it'll keep you up at night. (That was my experience--it was just me and LG, faithful rat terrier/companion, turning pages into the wee hours.) Add this to your TBR!
Katie Matheson
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The ending !!! The ending in this book is everything I crave in a thriller! I was hoping, where there was a twist early on, that there would be more action/drama leading up to the end, but sometimes a slow burn for a great ending is worth it !! Great book!
Linda Zagon
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hannah Mary McKinnon, Author of “Her Secret Son” has written a captivating, compelling, intriguing and thought-provoking novel. The Genres for this Novel are Mystery, Suspense and Fiction. The timeline of the story is set in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or events in the story. Some of the unsettling questions would unnerve any parent. The author describes her characters as complex, complicated and confused.

When Grace, Josh’s significant other has a tragic a

• The Language of Divorce
  • How Sweet the Bitter Soup
  • One Night Gone
  • Mother Knows Best
  • Stop Self-Sabotage: Six Steps to Unlock Your True Motivation, Harness Your Willpower, and Get Out of Your Own Way
  • More Than
  • The Buddha Sat Right Here: A Family Odyssey Through India and Nepal
  • A Family of Strangers
I was born in the UK and grew up in Switzerland. Unsurprisingly I love chocolate, mountains and cheese, and books, of course.

When I moved to Canada with my husband and three sons in 2010 I went through an (early) mid-life crisis. Maybe it was the failed attempt at a start-up company, but one morning I decided to follow my oldest passion; writing - and never wanted to look back.

My first novel, TI