Start by marking “Escape Journey, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Escape Journey, Vol. 1

Escape Journey, Vol. 1

(Escape Journey #1)

Naoto and Taichi’s turbulent high school love crashed and burned, but a reunion in college puts love back in the air.

Naoto and Taichi’s first try at love during their high school days crashed and burned. Years later the two unexpectedly reunite on their first day of college. Tumultuous love often burns hot, and the glowing embers of their previous relationship
Published September 11th 2018 by SuBLime (first published October 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Escape Journey, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape Journey, Vol. 1

Start your review of Escape Journey, Vol. 1
Rebecca
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, romance, lbgtq
This pretty much lost me when there was a rape scene thrown in. While I can intellectually understand why the creator might have thought, within the context of yaoi and Old Skool Romance, it was an okay thing, it really is NOT, and it ruined the story for me.

Full Review Eventually Appearing on ANN.
Sophie
This was supergood and surpassed my high expectations. A story about two guys who were together in high school, but then split up because of a lack of communication. It takes them a while to get things right the second time. This is a really well done BL manga that captures the insecurity that comes with relationships where there isn't marriage as a final goal. I really loved this.
Melissa
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love me some angst and fluff but that one scene was a no no for me. Aside from that, I'm getting volumes 2 and 3 stat.
Anne
1st: mature audiences only. very graphic content.
2nd: idk. there was one particular scene that bothered me a lot. trigger warning for physical violence and rape. it was addressed in some way, but never correctly in my opinion. also, the communication was so damn lack luster ...
i have mixed feelings on this.
Sherry
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really, really good. Ogeretsu Tanaka's stories always feel so real and never superficial to me, not only because of the story itself but because of the art. The way the emotions are displayed through words and drawings feels so authentic. The story has many different facets, there's cute moments, happy moments, sad moments, fearful moments and they are always brought together exceptionally well.
Jolien
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not quite sure how to rate this... Really enjoyed it, but there is a scene in there that is 😬
L. N. Luck
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF'd because abuse and rape are treated as a part of the rocky romance process, which is bs and teaches people the worst possible thing. What the actual fuck.

0☆ (misclicked on mobile so I can't remove the star rating)
Heather  Silvernail
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: previously-owned
For the overall volume, taking into account story, art, smuttiness, ect. I'll give it 2 stars.

Great art, delicious smut 90% of the time; but that's where the good stuff stops on this train ride that diverts to hell.

The relationship between these two characters is toxic and even violent at times; their history is the same as it was a couple years before so it's nothing new. They both seem to have the emotional range of a teaspoon and I get no real feeling out of either of
Elyse
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Naoto & Tachi were sort of lovers in high school but end in bad terms. A year later now in college, the two boys meet again and happen to be studying in the same major. Since they will be stuck together for a while, they pretend to be friends. Of course, things get steamy really fast. (Yup, this mean some explicit stuff, do not read this manga in public.) Tachi wants to give their relationship another try. They will have to overcome their past mistakes if they want this to work this time aro ...more
ellie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lbgtq, manga
i.. i don't know how to feel about this one? i don't feel like this was a healthy relation / friendship at all regardless of the ending..

probably wont be continuing this one.
Jimmie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Kei
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I would love to stop reading BL manga and read some other stuff, but I don't think I can! Since I have nothing else to do after #HurricaneMaria, I've been just catching up on some old and new manga and I haven't been disappointed so far.
Aimuni
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when will I ever get a boyfriend, i wonder
Lou (Lou and Life)
***Trigger Warning For Rape***

This manga would have been seriously cute if it were not for the fact that there was a rape scene in it 😒. I even made a friend in the GL/BL section of my local manga store, and she was telling me about how much she liked this manga, so I had some hopes... but it was all crushed by that one scene. If it wasn't in this volume, THEN THE STORY WOULD HAVE BEEN SO CUTE! Ugh I'm mad. I was hoping that through my select choices of BL manga that I would be able to avoid t
Tuna
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Escape Journey v1 is one of those manga you pick up and are just immediately hooked to it from the start. The artwork is beautiful, the character designs are greatly appealing, and the plot is immediately compelling with its main cast and secondary cast that really help carry the plot and enhance the main character relationship, while some of the secondary cast do have their own plots that are somewhat interesting.

I enjoyed this story mainly because of the lead characters Naoto and Taichi who a
Veronica
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
An unusual second-chance romance primarily set in college, with flashbacks to the couple's initial get-together and breakup in high school. The story is told almost exclusively from the POV of Naoto, the dumpee in that original split, and the narrative takes advantage of his limited perspective in order to very slowly reveal a number of key points where his understanding of what happened is incorrect or incomplete. Overall I thought it was well done, with a surprisingly strong supporting cast, b ...more
ʆɛѵi
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019, lgbt, manga
My first manga in quite some time where the boys didn't look like very pretty girls. Nao was still pretty feminine, but had an obviously male body and a more masculine face shape. It was nice to see a character wearing glasses too, I don't remember the last time I saw that in a comic.

Very fluffy romance between two college age guys who had a fling in high school that ended badly. They fall for each other again and Nao is worried it will turn out the same as before. This is volume one of the ser
Kat
2 stars out of 5

Why does yaoi always do this to me?

I'm in this for the cuteness, the smuttiness, and to lose myself in the romance.

So why is it that, practically half of the time, there is some sort of sexual assault/rape scene that is always brushed away like it is no big deal?

It is infuriating.

Especially since I would have rated this manga around 4 stars if that rape scene had never happened. It wasn't even really necessary at the end of the day, an
Erika Fermin
I really enjoyed this volume. I plan on continuing. There was a scene that made me uncomfortable and very concerned.

The characters had already established a sexual relationship. But when someone says no it means no. One of the characters kept saying no over and over and the other character continued. As a result, the character left very distraught and upset as one does when basically sexually assaulted. Then that part was never addressed again after a small apology over text.

I know things in t
B. Jean
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, romance
The art is excellent.
After reading two different manga that let me down, this was a surprise. Not only is the art good, but it's far longer than your average manga. There was one part that made me cringe because I found it completely unnecessary, and if you read it, you'd probably be able to pick out what I'm talking about. (It happens when they argue.) But anyway, it was interesting enough for me to move on to the second book.
M
Natalie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, manga, bookshelf
I thought there was a possiblity I may not enjoy this going in due being new to such extreme explicit content which I did in fact figure out is not my thing. But what I absolutely cannot get past is the rape scene within this story that is not acknowledged AND the character continues to have the same feelings after this occurrence and the whole thing just did not set well with me at all. After it happened I bascially just skimmed the pages until the end. Not my thing whatsoever.
Piloswineseyes
Really, not too much to say about it.
The same story written again and again. Even the setting isn't innovative.
One thing bugs me though : the story seems pretty much solved in this volume, but there are other two ahead...why so?
Khadijah
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect

A great yaoi a balance of HOT sex and a great story. Did I mention the hot sex? If your in to more of the shonen ai this isn't your thing just a btw. But I so glad I bought this!!
Adrian A.
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I love the art style of Ogeretsu Tanaka. I enjoyed the development of the characters, both male and female. I love the dirty scenes as well, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I feel they're a little long. But I love this story nonetheless.
Mel Geronazzo
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The art style was really good! Some confusion in the beginning as they don't make it clear if Fumi and Miki are actually dating the two MC's, and the weird abuse scene they had was not great, but otherwise a pretty cool story with excellent art.
Haley
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
LOVED this except the blatant rape scene that I dont even really think was addressed as rape. I love Naoto and Tachi both but that scene killed it for me. Dont know if Ill be reading the next volume.
kingusia♡
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
escape journey was super cool and i really like it. this is definitely one of my favorite mangas. i’m looking forward to reading second book.
Richelle Delgado
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s fun! That’s all!
Chris
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
It didn’t have as bad of a story as I thought it would once I saw what it was really like.

• 飴色パラドックス 1 [Ameiro Paradox 1] (Amber Paradox #1)
  • ひとりじめマイヒーロー 1 [Hitorijime My Hero 1]
  • コヨーテ [Coyote]
  • テンカウント 6 [Ten Count 6]
  • ひだまりが聴こえる-リミット-1 [Hidamari ga kikoeru - Limit 1]
  • 飴色パラドックス 2 [Ameiro Paradox 2] (Amber Paradox #2)
  • ジャッカス! ~触っていいって誰が言ったよ?~ [Jackass! - Sawatte Ii tte Dare ga Itta yo?]
  • Hanger - Shikkounin
  • テンカウント 5 [Ten Count 5]
  • 10DANCE テンダンス volume1
  • Don't Be Cruel: 2-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1  2
Tanaka Ogeretsu (おげれつたなか) is a Japanese manga artist.
She uses this name for her Boys Love manga production.
She also publishes non-BL manga under the name Marumero Tanaka (たなか マルメロ).

Escape Journey (3 books)