Start by marking “Thrill Girl” as Want to Read:

Thrill Girl

June, 1951...It's a tense summer in the City of Angels. A killer is on the loose. She's blonde, she's beautiful, and she murders bad guys. On three different occasions, she thwarted a mugging in progress, saving the innocent, dispatching the guilty, and fading away like a whisper in the rain. She never waits around for thanks. Apparently she doesn't want any.

Who is this
Published June 1st 2018 by La Verita Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Thrill Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thrill Girl

Start your review of Thrill Girl
Julie
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thrill Girl by Jack Curran is a 2018 La Verita Publishing publication.

Fall back into the nostalgic atmosphere of 1950s California, the hardboiled noir of blonde bombshells, dedicated news reporters, and genuinely creative mysteries-

War hero, Jack Curran, is a reporter biding his time, hoping to sell his screenplay, when a string of murders committed by a beautiful blonde woman, protecting innocent victims, lands him career making headlines when he dubs the gorgeous woman- “Thrill Girl” a
Julie (JuJu)
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Short Summary:
A mystery/thriller with a Dick Tracy-type vibe.

My thoughts:
I was surprised to receive this book as a “wish granted” through NetGalley. By the time I received it, it was past publication and I honestly had forgotten about it. Nonetheless, I was excited since it was my first “wish granted”.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for granting my wish, in exchange for my honest opinion.

Despite all the positive reviews, this book wasn’t for me. I felt like I was reading a Dick
Dave
Like the early Spiderman who tied up crooks and disappeared into a web of the city, Thrill Girl is a superhero (sort of) who takes on bad guys, muggers, rapists, etc., leaving their corpses to rot in the city streets and disappearing into the misty night. Thanks to crack reporter Jack Curran, who coined the Thrill Girl nickname, and in so doing, sets the whole city abuzz with anticipation over what's going to happen next. And, it doesn't hurt that she is a gorgeous blonde with curves that never ...more
Sharon
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book.
It is an unique & original mystery/thriller that grabs you from page one and won’t let you go until the very end.
It has that authentic noir feel that makes believe that you are really there in the 1950’s.
Pattyh
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to get "my wish" with Thrill Girl by Jack Curran.
This book is set in 1951 when a series of murders are happening in Los Angeles. A reporter, Jack Curran (interesting name), takes an interest or more like an obsession in the cases. He knows from reports that there is a woman involved in these killings. He tags the murderer as "thrill girl". Jack's interest leads him to a lovely woman with a a sick brother - Alana - and soon their relationship leads to
Cindy Lauren
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually don't like dated stories, and this one is a little hardboiled as well. While the story is OK, the constant smoking, the attitudes toward women and other anachronisms is a bit distracting.
The rich woman, caring for her disabled brother, under the care of a dubious doctor, finds big pieces of her life missing, She is almost unaware and seems gullible to an extreme. As the clues stack up, new characters come into the story.
If you can get past the sepia tones, this is a nice little
K-BRC
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THRILL GIRL, with all its picturesque setting, mystical plot line, and nostalgic dialogue will keep you locked into the pages of this story. Get it, read it, love it, live it! It’s a horse of another color!
#ThrillGirlGrabADrinkAndACigaretteAndKickBackForAWildRide”
#NetGalley
Joe Kucharski
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Thrill Girl has all the ingredients of a great genre read. Set in 1950’s LA, you got the war-hero-turned-beat-reporter, a leggy blonde, gruesome murders, ex-Nazis, and smoking. A lot of smoking. So much that the pages are saturated with tobacco. Stirred, definitely not shaken, within, author Jack Curran mixes an exciting tale of murder, vigilantism, the quest for truth, and, why not, even a monster. The plot is original, the characters are entertaining, but man, Curran doesn’t quite pour out the ...more
Literary Soirée
Loved the tight plot, noir stylings and nostalgic stance of this mystery-thriller. Will hold you to the last word. Highly recommended!

I received a review copy from La Verita Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

#AWell-craftedTaleThat,LikeThrillGirlHerself,IsFullOfIntrigue...kirkusReview #NetGalley
Beth Roberts
Let's talk about this sleeper that should be a block-buster summer movie, shall we? That is, if people cared about real movies anymore, instead of diverse comic book superhero remashes or Star Wars Episode 57.

I have some things to say.

First, I received this book via Netgalley from the publisher and author in exchange for a fair and honest review. I thank all of them for this highly entertaining opportunity.

I would also like it noted how promptly I received the galley. It popped up on a random
Peggy Clayton
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a thriller that when someone tapped me on the shoulder while I was reading I screamed.It was so so good I loved the plot and how it unraveled really was so good. Jack hit a home run with this book!
Tracy Shephard
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in 1950s California, this novel is worth all the stars.

Jack Curran, is a reporter, and when a blonde beauty starts killing he dubs her the Thrill Girl.

He is on the task and it leads him to an unlikely suspect.

This is a twisty read, I loved the tense build up, the 50's glamour and the plot is brilliant. Quite unique, I would to see it on the big screen with a black and white moody filming. It is just sublime
Tiffany Endsley
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to get Thrill Girl by Jack Curran.
This book takes place in 1951 when a series of murders start to happen in LA . Jack Curran, a reporter takes an interest in the cases. He tags the murderer as "thrill girl".

Such a good book and well written.
Sheri
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting noir-styled thriller/mystery. I love the time period (the 50s)and the author does a fantastic job with character development and descriptions. This book took me by surprise. I didn't know how I would feel about it but it quickly pulled !e in and wouldn't let go. I really enjoyed reading it and totally recommend it!

*I would like to thank the author/publisher/NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review*
Kimberly Mussell
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thrill Girl! What a ride!
I have to say the intertwining stories grabbed my attention and loved the layout of this book. The characters and their personalities flew off the page! I am not going to lie.. I was 100% stunned at the ending! Way to go Jack! I want more! I want more Alana. I want more Eddie and I want more Jack!
Thank you NetGalley, Jack Curran and La Verita Publishing.
Dagmar
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! I couldn't wait to get back to the book when I had to stop reading. Fast-paced, imaginative, with a big surprise at the end. Yes, it's worth reading.
Susan Angela Wallace
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thrill girl by Jack Curran.
This was a really good read. I liked the story and some of the characters too. Although I had a guess at who thrill girl was. Someone is helping people in trouble. This is the fourth time they have saved someone. While is this mystery woman Jack Curran who writes for the paper has given her the name of thrill girl. Will he find out who she is? Will the police ever find her?
This was a slow but ok read. I liked the story. I had an idea who thrill girl was. 4*.
KimberlyDawn
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This noir paranormal suspense has the 50’s flavor and habits that will have you remembering LSMFT and all those whisky ads. Jack Curran did name her Thrill Girl, but everyone is using it. Does Jack report the vigilante killer’s identity to the cops? Be ready for lots of plot twists. I hope you’ll like this as much as I did.
Sandra Burns
An ok read

Reporter investigates some murders. He gives the killer, the name of Thrill Girl. This woman, was given drugs, supposedly to help her crippled brother. Lots of drama, nothing is as it seems.
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

In an interesting twist, Jack Curran is both author and main character in this fast-paced, suspense-filled noir tale that brings 1950s Los Angeles to life.

Read full review in the 2018 July Aug issue of InD'tale Magazine.

John Mccloskey
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Noir thriller set in 1951 Hollywood with murder and mystery - my first reaction was to think of LA Confidential and hope this was as good - and it was. Excellently written and a real page turner it engaged me from the beginning. Throw in a couple of other plot twists (which I will not mention for fear of spoiling) and the tale goes off at different angles keeping the reader guessing . Well drawn characters and a hero who I was rooting for and hoping would get his story to the end. I would ...more
Jan Stenberg
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling thriller

A great book. The time period is great. The entire book is exciting. I highly recommend it. I was thrilled to read it.
Janice Hougland
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a complex noir mystery that I was amazed at how the author kept this tale intact in her head, kept it going so that it made sense and kept me reading it. I was also amazed at her study of noir which was evident not just in character expressions (at times sounding like the old Dragnet TV show) but also in this author’s descriptive writing: Bullocks, Coconut Grove, cop slang, smoking, movie stars like Betty Davis, Dinah Shore, Tony Curtis and Gary Cooper, clothing like Alana wore, ...more
Sue Blanchard
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Thankyou to NetGalley, LaVerita Publishing and Jack Curran for granting my wish to read an advanced readers copy of Thrill Girl.
I enjoyed reading this book. The story was full of intrigue and keeps the reader entertained. Definitely well worth a read.
Sharon
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received this wonderful gift from the author. Could not put it down. Took on vacation and read it in 4 nights. Thrilling and filled with suspense. A must read if you like this type of book. Thought I had it solved but I was fooled. Truly enjoyed this book. A big thank you to the author.
Joseph R. McNeil
A great read!

I really enjoyed this book, it was a little sluggish at the start but got better quickly. Author carefully weaved very good story with interesting characters. Jack was a great character, hope he reappears in another book!!.
Shannon L. Gonzalez
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: Vigilante Justice, gum-shoe journalist, and shady doctors oh my!

by Jack Curran

It’s 1951 in the streets of LA. Newspaper Journalist Jack Curran coins the phrase, “Thrill Girl” for the mysterious blonde rescuing citizens from criminals.

Jack Curran is a WWII hero trying to get answers to reveal who is behind dispatching street justice. In his quest to get the exclusive, his investigation leads him into increasingly dangerous quarters with equally dangerous contacts.

Of
Debra
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THRILL GIRL is thrilling, suspenseful and kept me hanging on till the last page. I loved the plot: it was fast paced, intriguing and always moving. A gorgeous setting in California, 1951, and the cast of characters were beautiful and brave. Mr. Curran’s writing style made me feel like I was right inside the story. One of my favorite Authors highly recommended this book, I am so glad I read it. This was my first book by Jack Curran and I loved it!
Michele Howell
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

This is the only book I have read by this author and it was an incredibly well written mystery with numerous twists and turns in the plot. Every time I thought I was close to figuring out what was going on, one of those twists came along. Jack is a news journalist who is writing an exclusive on "Thrill Girl". There are several characters that were all involved throughout this mystery. Eddie, an assistant to Jack, wanted to prove himself. He had taken a couple of photos that had everyone
Alan Snow
A great read that kept on getting better and better.

It had some interesting twists in the tail, and I thought was finished off superbly, on the last page. Great craftmanship.

I read that this is “Jack Curran’s (The author)” first mystery. Don’t stop there as a very good character has been developed in Jack Curran, the centre person in the plot. The side characters were also well developed and highly believable.

I particularly enjoyed that it was set in the time immediately after WW 2 and

• A Man Named Cully: (Cully the Bounty Hunter - Book 1)
  • Finding Love in the Old West: A Christian Historical Boxed Set
  • The Murder of Paolo Mancuso (Joey Mancuso, Father O'Brian Crime Mystery, #5)
  • September Skies: A Christian Romance
  • Murder at Breakfast (Dekker Cozy Mystery #4)
  • A Murder on Wall Street (A Joey Mancuso, Father O'Brian Crime Mystery Book 1)
  • The Maine Nemesis (A Skyler Moore Thriller Book 1)
  • The New Mexico Scoundrel (A Skyler Moore Thriller Book 2)
  • The Nevada Saboteur (A Skyler Moore Thriller Book 3)
  • The Advocate and The Fifth Juror: Women of Redemption Suspense Thrillers Two Book Bundle
  • On the Road to Love
  • Conclusive Evidence
  • My Sister’s Lies
  • The Judge's Bride (Montana Brides of Solomon's Valley, #1)
  • The Girl on Gander Green Lane
  • Orphan Train Trials (Hearts on the Rails, #2)
  • A Honeybun and Coffee (Honeybun Heat #1)
  • Florida Son (Rip Lane, #2)
Jack Curran is a pseudonym for an author who has been a professional writer for over twenty-five years in other genres. This is his first mystery. Jack loves all things California or Italy, feline or dog, and the kindness of strangers. His favorite vice is his friend Elaine's whiskey sours - rocks, not blended.

Jack knows books belong to readers once the author types 'The End', and hopes you will