Start by marking “You Are New” as Want to Read:
You Are New

You Are New

A world of being new is waiting for little ones and the grown-ups who love them in this warm and funny book perfect for baby showers. From napping to crying, cuddling to playing, this book introduces the world with humor, honesty, and unmitigated sweetness. Award-winning author and artist Lucy Knisley celebrates the joys of having—and being!—a baby in this timeless ...more
Published March 12th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are New

Start your review of You Are New
David Schaafsma
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This is kind of an event for fans of Lucy Knisley's comics memoirs: Her first picture book, and it is not about her baby, which, yes, she did manage to have, the process documented in her memoir, Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos, but a book addressed to babies and parents everywhere. What you notice first in any Knisley book is color--bright, inviting, soothing--and the strong-line drawing. Feels still personal, somehow, even though this is not memoir.

This book is not the best picture
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Knisely's graphic novel work is consistently high-quality: clever and insightful memoir with enough research to add meaningful context. That mix of the specific and general works well for a very young audience as well. The colors are bright and cheerful, and there's lots of interesting faces to look at in a range of colors. It's simple and pleasant and acknowledges the frustrations and difficulties of the very young. Pleasing to adults who might have to read it aloud many times and to the very ...more
Kathleen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
“You can open wide and yell. / Sometimes you make funny smells.”
Earl
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A celebration of all the new things one experiences through life.
Rachel Cohen
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just the cutest little book as usual but for a new audience
Beth
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always been enamored with Lucy Knisley's comics and now she's just proven herself worthy of being enamored with her picture books.
Cindy Dobrez
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good for soon-to-be big siblings as well as for reading with new babies and toddlers. Lots of smiles inside and the digital collage art is interesting...reminiscent of woodblock printing.
Alison
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A picture book to add to your baby shower gift list. This wonderful celebration of new babies and new experiences has a playful tone and simple text but elevated concepts that will speak to adults as well as little ones. Toddlers will see in it their own accomplishments and understand both that they've come along way since their "brand new" days and that they are still learning new things and (always) having new experiences. This would be an especially great book for a preschool-aged "big" ...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

"Hello, you! You are new."

On review is Lucy Knisley's vibrant You Are New, a standout rhyming picture book that highlights some of the wondrous new beginnings and new experiences awaiting babies. Knisley is an award-winning graphic novelist/comic creator behind acclaimed titles such as Relish, Something New, and Kid Gloves. I must confess here to having- very recently- been on a reading kick of Knisley's adult graphic novel offerings and I thoroughly enjoyed all I read. Having the opportunity
Helen O'Hara
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This week's preschool storytime theme was NEW BABIES! We have a lot of younger siblings joining us on Thursday mornings, and a lot of familiar faces come to our weekly Friday morning Baby Bounce storytimes as well. So there were plenty of babies to play with today!

We were so excited to read this debut picture book from one of our favorite YA/adult graphic novel author Lucy Knisley. She recently became a new mom herself, and she hilariously describes what babies can do (and smell like... P.U.!)
Barbara
Although this picture book doesn't hold the same appeal for me as her graphic novels, particularly her Kid Gloves, about her own pregnancy, it's nice to see Lucy Knisley venture into this particular artistic format. Still, there isn't anything particularly new or different on its pages from the many other picture books celebrating childhood and birth. The digital collage illustrations are bright and interesting, and the book seems to address that newborn and ever-growing baby as it begins to ...more
Jillian (PidginPea's Book Nook)
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of Lucy Knisley! I like her art so I wanted to try her first picture book, which I really enjoyed. It's a sweet, simple story of new babies, celebrating what they can do - simple things at first, but then they start growing up, and although there is a lot more they can do now, they keep being "new" as they learn and see and experience new things. I loved the colors (a bit warmer, rather than the typical pastels for babies) and the message (we're always new, always ...more
Keshia
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network and publisher @chroniclebooks for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. You Are New is a cute rhyming book that will grow with a child. It starts off about babies when they are new, but it is also reassures that as you grow it’s normal to keep feeling new. This is a great book to read to read for so many occasions - with babies, to older children who now live with babies, and also to children who are feeling unsure ...more
RedPoppyReading
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You Are New,” by @lucyknisley, is a delightfully sweet book about the magic of being a baby, and then growing up and learning new things! Darling illustrations and simple loosely rhyming text show the ups and downs of being a new baby. Perfect for new parents and siblings with a new baby in the home (or baby loving kids like mine). Look for it when it is released on March 12, 2019.

Thanks to @chroniclebooks for sharing this book with #kidlitexchange and thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Initially I had this book in mind for our baby storytime, since it has lots of cute opportunities for interaction (tickles and emotions and cuddles). Through the second half of the book it transitions into when "brand new" babies start growing up, and ways you continue to experience new things throughout your life, which was totally magical (though now I'm not sure how to best adapt it for babytime, haha, but it was a lovely little shift!). Actually this would be a great "older sibling" book for ...more
Mitchell
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A first picture book by a graphic novel writer that I follow. Not really high art. But there is some good writing here. And the art basically works. It could have been a little less repetitive. But it might have been a lot more repetitive. This might work as a sibling book. But it is a bit of a new baby book. 3.5 of 5.
Denise
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this picture book from one of my favorite graphic novelists. The art is a bit of a departure from what she's done in her long-form work, but it worked perfectly with the funny rhyming text. A great little story about all the little new things that come about for a baby. Would be a great text to read to a new big sibling!
Austin Gullett
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read all but one of Lucy’s graphic novels; she’s my favorite non-fiction graphic novelist. This is the partner book to her newest comic, “Kid Gloves,” about her pregnancy. This book is a simple rhyming book with a unique thematic concept and beautiful art, and I hope Lucy continues to explore picture books.
Janet
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
While this title tells all the accomplishments a brand new baby can do, this title would be very appropriate for siblings with a new baby in the home as it would prepare them for what the newest member of the family can do. Lots of white space surrounding the illustrations making it easy for the very young to discern what is happening in the illustrations.
Jared White
This one would be a great gift to a new little one. It is concrete and simple enough that babies will likely enjoy it but it also has the characters grow up a bit as it goes along so preschoolers would probably like it too (and they would likely get a kick out of what babies can do versus what they can do).
Elizabeth
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book about being "new" as a baby and the new experiences kids have growing up. Absolutely adorable illustrations, and I was happy to see a Linney the cat cameo. Give this to any new parent!
Norkett
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
We loved the majority of the book, thinking it would be a great gift to give a 6 month old we know. Then, we got to the last part, about the last ten pages of the book, and we changed our mind. It took a turn we really didn't understand.
Bizzy's Books
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this gorgeous book! It would make a great gift to new parents to read to their little baby. It's a sweet little read about the newness of babies and how they grow. My 3 and 5 year olds both loved it too - lots of beautiful pictures and the words read very nicely.
chelka
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm only knocking 1 star off because I'm not sure who I would buy this book for. I feel like my 3 year old would like the ending, but might not love books about babies. My baby can't handle real paper books (he tears them up). If this was a board book, I'd give it 5 stars.
Cmeiss330
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great gift for parents with a new baby.
Stacie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Decent first kids book from graphic comic author Lucy Knisley. Will be fun to see how she takes her experiences as a mom and creates new stories.
Cara Byrne
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book to introduce the concept of a new baby to a toddler. It's sweet, uses a bold color palette, and includes some unique vocabulary words.
Ruth Ann
Rhyming lines about being a new baby - and baby grows.
Sparse text. Cute, colorful illustrations.
Gail
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful!
Amanda Walz
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A story about being new, as a baby but also at other stages in life.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lubna and Pebble
  • Swarm of Bees
  • Grandpa's Stories
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
Beginning with an love for Archie comics and Calvin and Hobbes, Lucy Knisley (pronounced "nigh-zlee") has always thought of cartooning as the only profession she is suited for. A New York City kid raised by a family of foodies, Lucy is a graduate of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago currently pursuing an MFA at the Center for Cartoon Studies. While completing her BFA at the School of the ...more