Start by marking “I Love You So Mochi” as Want to Read:
I Love You So Mochi

I Love You So Mochi

Kimi Nakamura loves a good fashion statement. She's obsessed with transforming everyday ephemera into Kimi Originals: bold outfits that make her and her friends feel brave, fabulous, and like the Ultimate versions of themselves. But her mother sees this as a distraction from working on her portfolio paintings for the prestigious fine art academy where she's been accepted ...more
308 pages
Published May 28th 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about I Love You So Mochi, please sign up.
Shokujiko one of Kimi's friends asks out another girl at the beginning of the book and they start going out. it's referenced throughout.

Start your review of I Love You So Mochi
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I read this all in one sitting and it definitely was not a bad way to spend my afternoon! It was sugary sweet.
may ❀
book #9 completed! for the reading rush i am Spent y'all. i need to sleep for the next two weeks to rest my eyes

very cute, very wholesome, very precious
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My goodness, I Love You So Mochi is just so delightful! I was in the mood for a light-hearted romance, and this book just hit the sweet spot - I enjoyed reading this so, so much and it was faultlessly feel-good and just good.

- Follows Kimi, a Japanese-American teen who flies to Japan to visit her grandparents to try and figure out what she wants to do in life. There, she meets Akira, a Japanese teen who aspires to be a doctor and dresses up as a mochi mascot.
- THIS WAS JUST SO CUTE. This book
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I Love You So Mochi has been flying around the Asian book blogger blogs. It caught my eye due to the title, based on a Japanese confectionery made from pounded rice and molded around a yummy filling. My favorite are ice cream mochi... I was dying to see how they were incorporated into the story.

The Premise

Kimi Nakamura has been practicing her art since she was a child at the knee of her wannabe artist mother. Lately though its taken a
Emma
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review here

This book just wasn’t for me.
I appreciated the descriptions of Kyoto and all that there is to see and do there. They were all very good. They were probably one of the things I liked most in this book, alongside the development of a deep relationship between Kimi and her grandparents.
My main issue with this novel is that there isn’t really any conflict. Kimi goes to
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
...finds romance with a med student who moonlights as a costumed mochi mascot.
Lol, I'm here for it! Sounds like an adorable Asian drama plot.
hillary
Nov 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: contemporary
How cute is that cover???
Rec-It Rachel
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow wow wow what a stunningly perfect contemporary and honestly exactly what i needed after a day of being sick
chloe ♡
oh my god i loved this so mochi. review to come!

update: i loved this book so mochi.

before i start talking about the story, let’s just take a moment and appreciate the fluffiest piece of art that is the cover of this book. also, the title is so punny and adorable, which adds to the cuteness even more.

one of my favorite things about the book is that it’s set in kyoto, a part of japan that almost never appears in ya novels. it’s underrated, really – with its beautiful shrines and cherry blossoms,
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Her mother's dream was for Kimi to become the next great Asian American artist. The only problem was it was not HER dream. While standing at a crossroads in her life, Kimi received a plane ticket and an invitation to visit her estranged grandparents in Japan. She saw this as the perfect escape from her mother's crushing disappointment, but it was exactly what she needed to find her passion.

I swear, I didn't stop grinning for hours after reading this book. I simply loved
Rodoreads
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm soft, giddy and grinning like an idiot. What a cute book. Starting from the title, to the cover, to the story! So adorable.

Sometimes reality intrudes on what we want. That’s just the way it is.

Kimi had her life perfectly planned. Or you can say her mother did. She just wanted her mom to be happy and pretty much followed everything she said to see her smile. Until she couldn't anymore. Until she just became a blank canvas with no idea where to start.

Dropping out of art classes without
Camryn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest and softest and I loved every minute of it. There is so much heart and love in basically every page. I loved the descriptions of Japan and Kimi’s clothes and the family dynamics and AKIRA. Our world is really harsh right now and it was so, so nice to have something so hopefully and kind and soft.
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Maybe 3.5 stars. This was really sweet!
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) SO SWEET!!! And inspiring. The setting, the story, the romance, the food, the friends, the family dynamics - ALL OF IT.
Ashley
This is probs like 2.5 stars from me

*I feel like this entire review has spoiler-y content, so if you don't want to know anything besides how I felt, here you go:

Not-believable romance, weird parental expectation that didn't seem believable, super fun fashion design mc swoon-worthy descriptions of Kyoto and very cute grandparent relationship scenes. *

I'm kind of sad I couldn't get behind the main conflict in this book. There were so many precious scenes that really hit me, but they were all
Hanis
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.3/5 stars.

Can we just appreciate the cover for a second? That’s one awesomely beautiful cover and I’m not gonna lie, the book cover attracted me first. And luckily, when I read the synopsis I was interested and intrigued. This reader right here definitely didn’t regret picking this up.

The story began with Kimi who went to Japan to get some brief vision of what she aspired to do in her life, as she couldn’t handle the very thing her mother wanted her to do – drawing wasn’t fully her passion,
oliversromeo
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
super juvenile and cringey at times, and the plot was pretty insta lovey but it was still fun and cute and fluffy. although, i wish akira had more character depth and personality as he was kinda lame.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
oh my actual goodness, I NEED THIS. My Japanese student heart needs it.

ALSO: “a med student who moonlights as a costumed mochi mascot.” I’m SO SO DOWN for this like you cannot believe
Jessica
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute book about finding your passion, and your family! I loved how Kimi connects to her roots, and strengthens the bonds of those currently in her life. I loved the descriptions of the food, and the passion she has for all things cute and colorful! I do wish there had been pictures, sketches of her fashions because I couldn't imagine some of them!
Rachel A.  Dawson
This book was ADORABLE and lovely and just so delightful. Love a good exploration of self and ancestry, love an honest developing mom/daughter dynamic, love a sweet love story, love a strong and quirky female lead... such a winning YA read!
Sachi Argabright
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I LOVE YOU SO MOCHI tells the story of Kimi Nakamura, a Japanese American high schooler who is passionate about designing clothes despite her mother’s disapproval. After an explosive fight with her mother, Kimi receives a letter and plane ticket from her mysterious Japanese grandparents and takes them up on their offer to visit over Spring Break. After meeting and staying with her grandparents for the first time, Kimi is learns more about her family and also discovers a lot about herself along ...more
Kaitlyn
OH this is CUTE CUTE
Kaja (red panda) *:・゚✧
THIS IS LIKE THE CUTEST TITLE EVER???

Also the synopsis sounds like everything I've ever wanted.

UPDATE: IT'S PREORDERABLE ON AMAZON! Releases May 28th 2019!
Laura (bbliophile)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was absolutely adorable.

I Love You So Mochi is about a girl visiting her grandparent's in Japan for the first time and trying to figure out what exactly her passion is. She also meets a very cute guy who works as a mochi mascot for his uncle's mochi stand and they develop a romance.

I basically loved everything about this book, except for the main plot of finding one's passion. It was pretty clear from page one what exactly Kimi's passion is and the fact that it takes her the entire book to
Renata
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I'll be honest, the only reason why I picked up this book was because of the cute cover and because I wanted to read something that happens in Japan, also the title is really cute so who am I to say no?

Buuut, it was...ok? Like...even since page 1 we know what Kimi wants to do and how it'll end, and the romance didn't worked that well for me, it was just ok to read?

I also think something was missing, like the only conflict Kimi had in her trip was so minor that perhaps wasn't even that good to
Knobby
Jun 20, 2019 added it
I'll be honest... I didn't finish this.

But not because it was bad! I thought it was adorable. Kimi (btw that's my name too), a Japanese-American with a first-generation Japanese immigrant mom (that's mine too) and a fourth-generation Japanese-American dad, is worried about her creative future. See, her mom, a successful painter, found out that Kimi dropped art and is instead passionate about designing clothes. During spring break, Kimi goes to Kyoto, Japan to visit with her mom's parents, try to
Jamie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute love story! Perfect summer read!
Artemis
Holy mochi mochi.

'I Love You So Mochi' is, without a doubt, one of the cutest books I've ever read. If a book could be a yogurt dessert filled with candy and compressed into one giant actual mochi that you could just bounce on like jelly and have a swim inside it, that wouldn't even come close to the sweet, gorgeous, digestible and adorable YUM that is 'I Love You So Mochi'.

I could hug and squeeze it all day.

'I Love You So Mochi' is about the Japanese American teen Kimi Nakamura, as she tries to
Kitkat
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. I'm happy I took a longer time reading this book because I enjoyed every morsel of the characters and plot. I completely understand the character Kimi. I understand how parents sacrifice a lot for their kids however they just want what's best for them. This book will be in my heart for a very long time because it reminds me of my greatest trip going to Japan. I have to say this book is one of my favorites.

• Somewhere Only We Know
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • Love From A to Z
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • Technically, You Started It
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Virtually Yours
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Field Notes on Love
Sarah Kuhn is the author of Heroine Complex—the first in a series starring Asian American superheroines—for DAW Books. She also wrote The Ruby Equation for the comics anthology Fresh Romance and the romantic comedy novella One Con Glory, which earned praise from io9 and USA Today and is in development as a feature film. Her articles and essays on such topics as geek girl culture, comic book ...more
“It strikes me how discombobulating it is to be in a place where so many of the faces look like mine, but where I clearly don’t belong.” 0 likes
“I want to be around people who feel things that way. Who run toward their passions with so much commitment.” 0 likes