Start by marking “I Love You So Mochi” as Want to Read:
I Love You So Mochi

I Love You So Mochi

Kimiko, jeune Californienne d'origine japonaise, prépare son admission dans une université d'arts réputée.
Seulement, voilà : depuis plusieurs mois, elle est incapable de dessiner quoi que ce soit.
Malgré la peur grandissante de décevoir sa mère, qui ignore la crise qu'elle traverse, ses toiles restent désespérément blanches, au profit de créations plus récréatives, comme la
308 pages
Published May 28th 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about I Love You So Mochi, please sign up.
Shokujiko one of Kimi's friends asks out another girl at the beginning of the book and they start going out. it's referenced throughout.
Jen I would say yes. There is a little bit of kissing.

Start your review of I Love You So Mochi
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I read this all in one sitting and it definitely was not a bad way to spend my afternoon! It was sugary sweet.
may ❀
book #9 completed! for the reading rush ✓ i am Spent y'all. i need to sleep for the next two weeks to rest my eyes

very cute, very wholesome, very precious
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
me: okay I need to focus on my arc and sequel piles

also me: okay I'm going to pick up this book which is neither an arc nor a sequel

In the sweltering heatwave that seems to be affecting the uk and other parts of europe right now, I Love You So Mochi was the perfect read - light, cute, and undemanding. Following Kimi as she goes to Japan to meet her grandparents and hopefully gets inspired about the path she wants to take in life, it's full of iconic Kyoto locations, cute romance and really sweet
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My goodness, I Love You So Mochi is just so delightful! I was in the mood for a light-hearted romance, and this book just hit the sweet spot - I enjoyed reading this so, so much and it was faultlessly feel-good and just good.

- Follows Kimi, a Japanese-American teen who flies to Japan to visit her grandparents to try and figure out what she wants to do in life. There, she meets Akira, a Japanese teen who aspires to be a doctor and dresses up as a mochi mascot.
- THIS WAS JUST SO CUTE. 😭 This book
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I Love You So Mochi has been flying around the Asian book blogger blogs. It caught my eye due to the title, based on a Japanese confectionery made from pounded rice and molded around a yummy filling. My favorite are ice cream mochi... I was dying to see how they were incorporated into the story.

The Premise

Kimi Nakamura has been practicing her art since she was a child at the knee of her wannabe artist mother. Lately though its taken a t
Emma
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review here

This book just wasn’t for me.
I appreciated the descriptions of Kyoto and all that there is to see and do there. They were all very good. They were probably one of the things I liked most in this book, alongside the development of a deep relationship between Kimi and her grandparents.
My main issue with this novel is that there isn’t really any conflict. Kimi goes to Japa
Cindy ✩☽♔
Apr 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
...finds romance with a med student who moonlights as a costumed mochi mascot.
Lol, I'm here for it! Sounds like an adorable Asian drama plot.
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Super cute! Probably more like a 3.5.
Hillary
Nov 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: contemporary
How cute is that cover???
chloe ♡
oh my god i loved this so mochi. review to come!

update: i loved this book so mochi.

before i start talking about the story, let’s just take a moment and appreciate the fluffiest piece of art that is the cover of this book. also, the title is so punny and adorable, which adds to the cuteness even more.

one of my favorite things about the book is that it’s set in kyoto, a part of japan that almost never appears in ya novels. it’s underrated, really – with its beautiful shrines and cherry blossoms, k
Vicky Again
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO CUTE AND FLUFFY! the family feels! the super sweet romance! the finding yourself & fashion design & exploration of japan!! would highly recommend. ...more
Fares
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok

This could've been way better, I mean it had a combination of many things I love about YA contemporaries and I manly mean food! But sadly all the food can't fix the "let's ignore things until they fix themselves up" attitude the characters had in this.
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Her mother's dream was for Kimi to become the next great Asian American artist. The only problem was it was not HER dream. While standing at a crossroads in her life, Kimi received a plane ticket and an invitation to visit her estranged grandparents in Japan. She saw this as the perfect escape from her mother's crushing disappointment, but it was exactly what she needed to find her passion.

I swear, I didn't stop grinning for hours after reading this book. I simply loved everythi
Camryn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest and softest and I loved every minute of it. There is so much heart and love in basically every page. I loved the descriptions of Japan and Kimi’s clothes and the family dynamics and AKIRA. Our world is really harsh right now and it was so, so nice to have something so hopefully and kind and soft.
Rodoreads
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm soft, giddy and grinning like an idiot. What a cute book. Starting from the title, to the cover, to the story! So adorable.

Sometimes reality intrudes on what we want. That’s just the way it is.

Kimi had her life perfectly planned. Or you can say her mother did. She just wanted her mom to be happy and pretty much followed everything she said to see her smile. Until she couldn't anymore. Until she just became a blank canvas with no idea where to start.

Dropping out of art classes without le
alexandra
this was cute, fluffy, and made me want to visit japan really badly! i loved all the relationships and rep, but found the mc a little frustrating at times — but that’s the nature of her growth. overall, would recommend if you’re looking for a light read :)
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) SO SWEET!!! And inspiring. The setting, the story, the romance, the food, the friends, the family dynamics - ALL OF IT.
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Maybe 3.5 stars. This was really sweet!
Shealea
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
... I need a moment. Full review to follow.
Ashley
This is probs like 2.5 stars from me

*I feel like this entire review has spoiler-y content, so if you don't want to know anything besides how I felt, here you go:

Not-believable romance, weird parental expectation that didn't seem believable, super fun fashion design mc swoon-worthy descriptions of Kyoto and very cute grandparent relationship scenes. *

I'm kind of sad I couldn't get behind the main conflict in this book. There were so many precious scenes that really hit me, but they were all twing
Jenn
This book was freaking adorable. And also really made me want to go to Japan.

Kimi was raised with the plans of being an artist. Everything has been leading up to her going to art school and becoming a painter. But as Kimi gets older, she's been realizing that's not where her passion lies. After a giant argument with her mother, she agrees to spend spring break with her estranged grandparents in Japan and sets on a journey of self-discovery to find out who she really is and what exactly she wants
Melanie  Brinkman
Happy hearts give great life advice.

There's nothing Kimi loves more than a fashion statement. She's obsessed with transforming clothes into Kimi Originals: clothes that empower her and her friends to be the Ultimate versions of themselves. But they don't fit in with Kimi's college plans, leading to a huge fight with her mom. So when an invite to visit Kyoto arrives from her estranged grandparents, she eagerly accepts.

When she gets to Japan, she becomes absorbed in a culture both familiar and for
Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
This was the cutest freaking book I have ever read, it melted my cold dark soul and now I am extremely soft and in need of a pug cafe
gaby
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love You So Mochi follows the story of a Japanese-American named Kimi Nakamura who after fighting about what she wishes to do with her future with her mother, decides to visit her estranged maternal grandparents in Kyoto, Japan where she hopes to discover herself and who she truly wishes to be. While in Japan, she meets a cute boy named Akira, develops relationships with her grandparents and goes on a path of self-discovery.

SOME POSITIVE THOUGHTS
- this book was super fluffy and adorable and
Hanis
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.3/5 stars.

Can we just appreciate the cover for a second? That’s one awesomely beautiful cover and I’m not gonna lie, the book cover attracted me first. And luckily, when I read the synopsis I was interested and intrigued. This reader right here definitely didn’t regret picking this up.

The story began with Kimi who went to Japan to get some brief vision of what she aspired to do in her life, as she couldn’t handle the very thing her mother wanted her to do – drawing wasn’t fully her passion, a
Anniek
While I did expect to enjoy this, I did not expect this would be a 5 star read. It spoke to me so much more than I expected it would. Listening to the audiobook was such a wholesome, emotional experience.

I absolutely loved the main character's relationship with her grandparents. This book deals with complicated family relationships, but the love between them was tangible.

The story is culturally rich and very focused on creativity, and that made it vibrant with flavours and colours. It made me fe
Jessica
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute book about finding your passion, and your family! I loved how Kimi connects to her roots, and strengthens the bonds of those currently in her life. I loved the descriptions of the food, and the passion she has for all things cute and colorful! I do wish there had been pictures, sketches of her fashions because I couldn't imagine some of them!
Rachel A.  Dawson
This book was ADORABLE and lovely and just so delightful. Love a good exploration of self and ancestry, love an honest developing mom/daughter dynamic, love a sweet love story, love a strong and quirky female lead... such a winning YA read!
(inactive)
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
super juvenile and cringey at times, and the plot was pretty insta lovey but it was still fun and cute and fluffy. although, i wish akira had more character depth and personality as he was kinda lame.
Japanese Novel an...: I Love You So Mochi Group Read 5 40 Sep 13, 2020 02:29PM

• Somewhere Only We Know
  • I'll Be the One
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • Frankly in Love
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Parachutes
  • Tweet Cute
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Love From A to Z
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • What I Like About You
  • The Perfect Escape
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Technically, You Started It
  • If I'm Being Honest
Sarah Kuhn is the author of Heroine Complex—the first in a series starring Asian American superheroines—for DAW Books. She also wrote The Ruby Equation for the comics anthology Fresh Romance and the romantic comedy novella One Con Glory, which earned praise from io9 and USA Today and is in development as a feature film. Her articles and essays on such topics as geek girl culture, comic book contin ...more