Start by marking “Ilíada / Odisea” as Want to Read:
Ilíada / Odisea

Ilíada / Odisea

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  54,967 Ratings  ·  596 Reviews
Gripping listeners and readers for more than 2,700 years, 'The Iliad' is the story of the Trojan War and the rage of Achilles. Combining the skills of a poet and scholar, Robert Fagles brings the energy of contemporary language to this enduring heroic epic.

If 'The Iliad' is the world's greatest war story, then 'The Odyssey' is literature's greatest evocation of every man'
Hardcover, Bilingual edition, 1766 pages
Published 1999 by Espasa Calpe-Fundación Biblioteca de Literatura Universal (first published -750)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Ἰλιάς ; Ὀδύσσεια = The Iliad and Odyssey, Homer
The Iliad is an ancient Greek epic poem in dactylic hexameter, traditionally attributed to Homer. Set during the Trojan War, the ten-year siege of the city of Troy (Ilium) by a coalition of Greek states, it tells of the battles and events during the weeks of a quarrel between King Agamemnon and the warrior Achilles.
The Iliad Characters: Ajax, Odysseus, Helen of Troy, Menelaus, Paris, Hector, Achilles, Agamemnon, Aeneas, Sarpedon, Priam, Cassandra,
Bastet
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Leídas la Ilíada y la Odisea, diría que me ha hecho disfrutar un poco más la segunda, quizá por los seres fantásticos (inolvidable el duelo entre Odiseo y el cíclope Polifemo, a quien aquel deja ciego) que hacen peligrar el periplo de Odiseo (prefiero el nombre griego, por mucho que la inmensa mayoría de las traducciones en español lo llamen por el nombre latino, Ulises) de Troya a Ítaca. Los dos poemas homéricos son cantos escritos a mayor gloria del héroe griego (Aquiles en la Ilíada, Odiseo e ...more
Lucinda Reed
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like the classics
The best story ever-it has everything-love, romance, war, brave, handsome men, exotic places, monsters, beautiful women-its all in these two stories. Odysseus is my all-time favorite hero, and although he is a brave hero, he has his faults and it's this combination that makes him so lovable and what makes this story one of the greatest of all time. The text can be difficult to read, and following the who's who of the gods and goddesses can be quite a feat. I've read it several times, I never get ...more
Patricia
Other than the gruesome, violent images often presented in magnificent detail (hey, it is a war!), I really enjoy reading Homer's epic poem. Where else are we given such insight into stubborn Agamemnon, noble Hector, intelligent and well-spoken Odysseus, lazy and spineless Paris, guilt-ridden Helen, the wrath of the warrior Achille's and how vain he can be? We can identify with Trojan and Greek alike, agonizing with both sides over the destructiveness of war. We get the inside story on all the G ...more
Keivan
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The translation was pretty readable. This is part of the Great Books of the western world Collection that I have set out to read.

Ulysses is my favorite Greek hero.Always was always will be. I read parts of some butchered version in high-school but this one seems to have satisfied my goddess needs.

I think we perhaps need some revitalization of the sentiments present in these books to save America from going down the cultural tubes. When the Odyssey is replaced with the "jersey Shore" cannot possi
نقد روز
در ایلیاد هومر، جنگی که به تصویر کشیده می شود بسیار وحشتناک، پرخشونت و بی حاصل است. در این داستان هیچ برنده مشخصی وجود ندارد. به خاطر غرور و تصمیمات احساسی که گرفته می شود، آدم های زیادی کشته می شوند. خود آشیل هم ابتدا با امتناع از حضور در نبرد و تنها گذاشتن ارتش یونان، و سپس با عدم تشویق پاتروکل به شرکت در نبرد، باعث مرگ دوستش می شود. حتی اولین اقدام داستان که باعث بروز این جنگ می شود، یعنی دزدیده شدن هلن توسط پاریس هم اقدامی عجولانه و خودخواهانه است. در ماجراهای ایلیاد، خواست و اراده زئوس نقش ...more
1marcus
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The “Iliad and the Odyssey” keeps you on the edge of your seat from the beginning of the story to the end. I’m not into books like this one but I LOVED this book. The adventure, mystery, and the understanding of pre-history are great for anyone who wants to read this book. All these things made me want to read the book over again and even write a book review on it.

First the adventure is wild from the start. Fighting the Cyclopes and winning made me think that no matter what the size of the pers
Osama Abdel Qader
Nov 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
@مجدي كامل المنياوي صاحب هذا الكتاب سارق رسمي...
ينسخ عن النت والمنتديات وويكيبيديا بالحرف...
طبعا خلال 5 سنوات طبع في دار الكوبي-بيست العربي-القاهرة...وأعني ما يسمى دار الكتاب العربي ما يقارب المائة كتاب...بحسبة بسيطة فإنه يؤلف كتاب كل 18 يوم و 6 ساعات....
طبعا هذا لا يعقل ولا يمر إلا على الأغبياء...
فهو وفريقه مجرد مرتزقة كتب لا يقرأون حتى ما ينسخون من ويكيبيديا والمنتديات..فتجدها بنفس الأخطاء المطبعية....
في معرض الكتاب في الشارقة 2013 وجدت لهم قسم كبير...من الواضح أنهم يحسنون صنعا من ناحية البزن
Christina
May 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, audiobook
It didn't take me long to figure out that I'm not a Homer girl. I think the problem was partly that after years of taking in entertaining, probably dumbed down versions of the stories, the reality ended up a bit of a let down. Another problem was I had trouble liking any of the characters. Achilles? Hector? Even Odysseus? Ugh! Whiney, deceitful, and not very likeable!

The Iliad was pretty painful to get through. I forced myself to finish and didn't even get a payoff in the end. What happened to T
محمد الهاشمي
الإلياذة والأوديسة في نظري تستحقان أكثر من خمس نجوم..فقط هذه النسخة التي ترجمها مجدي كامل لم تكن الأفضل في نظري. قرأت نسخة بعدها بدت أفضل. لو تسنى الوقت لوجدت الكتاب ووضعت اسم المترجم وأظن أنها نسخة صدرت عن المجمع الثقافي بأبوظبي -لست متأكدا-. عموما هاتين الملحمتين فاقتا كل حدود الأزمنة وختمتا على عصور ما قبل التاريخ شعار بداية جديدة مليئة بالخيال الممتزج بالواقع وهو ما صنع فعلا عهد "التاريخ" لحضارة البشر. هذا الخيال لربما أسس بدوره دعائم فلسفة الدين والكينونة فيما بعد ولربما أنه أيضاً شكل الكثي ...more
Elsa K
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I only read "The Odyssey" this time through. I haven't read it since high school and have been wanting to read it again. It is obviously well written and a classic. The 'legend/epic' style is different from what I normally read, but I enjoyed it.

As a female though I couldn't help but get annoyed with Odysseus sleeping with goddesses etc. while Penelope is pining away for him. Although, I also got annoyed at Penelope's inability to send the suitors away, so maybe they were meant for each oth
David Withun
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The Iliad and the Odyssey are, of course, must-reads. It's hard to comment on classics like these, but, for those who haven't yet read them: I think the Odyssey is more entertaining than the Iliad because the action continues throughout whereas the Iliad has many breaks in the action to engage in the kind of lists of unpronounceable names you see in some places in the Old Testament of the Bible. Both of them are, however, fantastic.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Assigned in High School
Together these two works attributed to Homer are considered among the oldest surviving works of Western literature, dating to probably the eighth century BCE, and are certainly among the most influential. I can't believe I once found Homer boring. In my defense, I was a callow teen, and having a book assigned in school often tends to perversely make you hate it. But then I had a "Keats conversion experience." Keats famously wrote a poem in tribute to a translation of Homer by Chapman who, Keats ...more
Samuel Saint-Denis-Lisée
Après avoir tant entendu parler de l'Iliade et de l'Odyssée, j'ai trouvé la lecture de l’œuvre originale (traduite) intéressante. Bien que les nombreuses comparaisons et références aux divinités grecques m'aient fait perdre le fil du texte à certains moments, j'ai pu voir pourquoi cette œuvre a traversé les âges et est considérée comme un chef-d’œuvre. C'est une lecture à faire au moins une fois dans sa vie.
♥Mary♦Sweet♣Dreams♠Are♥Made♦of♣This♠
I really enjoyed reading Homer's Odyssey and Iliad. I actually read this book of my own volition and not because I had to for school. The stories are very unique and captivating. You'll be sitting on the edge of your chair. I recommend this book to anyone who likes mythology of any kind.

I enjoyed it so much that I believe I'll give it another read after so many years and an adequate review.
Maha
Apr 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
الصفحات البيضاء كثيرة و التكرار أكثر و الأخطاء الإملائية لا تحتمل
أستفدت منه القليل فقط
Eva
Apr 28, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I've been reading this novel with a book club and I must say that added a lot to my reading experience. I noticed more, I laughed more, I analysed more. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and I'm happy I've done so. I don't have a rating, because it feels wrong to rate a book that has been around for over 2000 years. Who am I in comparison?
Salva
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it, that's a pity! Lost track of the story as the time gap grew larger... But I may reread it one day as I enjoyed it pretty much.
Chachou
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty complicated to understand sometimes because of the huge number of characters in it and some divinities we may not know. The vocabulary is epic and we enter a nice story full of "mini stories". It was interesting to read because we can see many comportments which can be good to follow or not. Even this days, reading Homere is quite accurate and contribute to our personal culture.
Greg Pitts
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After being force-fed this epic poem in school I was stunned by how much I loved it! I don't even know who's translation I first read, but I've read The Iliad twice since, and Fagles' translation is the best yet. Beautiful imagery and really exciting battle scenes (really!) explaining the loyalties of The Gods and their favorites on Earth.

This book is not a chore like we have been led to believe. Trust me, I don't go out seeking ancient Greek poems. But this is great stuff and Fagles' translati
Anastasia
Finished! Finally done.
*I've read it for my Foreign literature class.

It took me a month, and not because it was boring or anything (although some chapters were less exciting than others), it's just really hard to read because of the metre - hexameter. Not a natural metre for a Russian poetry, so it was unusual.

But I did like this book. Especially all those gruesome descriptions of death. It was sort of fascinating.
Also I did like a lot of the characters - Andromache, Achilles, Hector, Patrok
Maciej Bliziński
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the core of Western culture, there is ancient Rome and Greece, and at the core of the ancient Roman and Greek culture, there is Homer. When reading, I really did feel that the Iliad and Odyssey contain the basic building blocks of the Western way of thinking. For example, Achilles and Odysseus were arguing about what to do next, and each could make a case that sounded convincing. But the ideas were not equally good.

This translation uses plain English, with no hexameter of rhymes, which helped
Damon
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
The Illiad is very rambling and quite boring.
Modesta
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!! ♡
Chioma
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Iliad much better than the Odyssey.
Matt
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE ILIAD

The wrath of Achilles not only begins the oldest piece of Western literature, but is also its premise. The Iliad has been the basis of numerous clichés in literature, but at its root it is a story of a war that for centuries was told orally before being put down by Homer in which the great heroes of Greece fought for honor and glory that the men of Homer’s day could only imagine achieving.

The story of the Trojan War is well known and most people who have not read The Iliad assume they k
Diane
Très belle edition abrégée et en prose, parfaite pour une introduction à l'Iliade et l'Odyssée. De belles illustrations l'accompagnent.

L'Iliade:
L'iliade c'est en fait la dernière année de la guerre de Troie, guerre qui dura 10 ans. Elle oppose les Achéens (les Grecs) aux Troyens (Grecs aussi mais Grèce orientale ou Hittites?). L'objectif est de ramener Helene, la femme du roi Achéen Ménélas qui a été séduite et "volée" par un Troyen.

Je m'attendais à être séduite par Achilles, mais c'est Hector
Lindolfo Rodrigues
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audiobook
Historia grega, que já derivou varios livros, vale a pena ler bem sucinta e direta.
A cidade de Troia que Homero descreve aqui, todos achavam que era uma lenda até encontrarem ruinas dela na decada de 50. Por isso ainda tem esperança pela cidade de Atlântida já que também a lenda vem de uma história grega.
Courtney
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I was forced to read this story through my World Literature class, and I must admit that it wasn't worth the time I spent to read it. I do not like stories such as these, for they are myths passed down for possible 'truths' and can sometimes be believed when they shouldn't be. I had to force myself to finish reading it.
room an dboard 1 1 Jun 01, 2018 06:26AM
landscaping knoxville 1 1 May 11, 2018 05:01AM
Reading The Iliad November 1-30, 2015 1 2 Oct 25, 2015 02:44PM
AoM Essential Man...: Homer 1 2 May 01, 2015 09:21AM
Libro Odisea de Homero 1 4 Mar 09, 2014 02:11PM
Iliad or Odyssey 9 51 Aug 05, 2013 05:59AM
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • Classic American Short Stories
  • Parallel Lives
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • Boy Scouts of America : The Official Handbook for Boys (Reprint of Original 1911 Edition)
  • The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories
In the Western classical tradition, Homer (Greek: Όμηρος) is considered the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, and is revered as the greatest of ancient Greek epic poets. These epics lie at the beginning of the Western canon of literature, and have had an enormous influence on the history of literature.

When he lived is unknown. Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before his own time,
More about Homer

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Open City
    $12.99 $1.99
“Rage - Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus' son Achilles,
murderous, doomed, that cost the Achaeans countless losses,
hurling down to the House of Death so many sturdy souls,
great fighters' souls, but made their bodies carrion,
feasts for the dogs and birds,
and the will of Zeus was moving toward its end.
Begin, Muse, when the two first broke and clashed,
Agamemnon lord of men and brilliant Achilles.”
35 likes