Start by marking “The Siren and the Scholar (Faraway Castle, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Siren and the Scholar (Faraway Castle, #2)

The Siren and the Scholar

(Faraway Castle #2)

Can true love survive even when memories are stolen away?

When Kamoana the siren is transformed into human shape, she knows that her mother, the powerful sahira Queen Pukai, laid the spell on her, but she can't remember why. It has to be some kind of test, most likely related to romance and undoubtedly involving a three-day deadline, but Kamoana can't remember being in love
Published May 2018 by Rooglewood Press

To ask other readers questions about The Siren and the Scholar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Siren and the Scholar

Start your review of The Siren and the Scholar (Faraway Castle, #2)
Shantelle

My goodness, this was adorable! I had such a delightful time being in Kammy's world and life again. She's my favorite. Mermaids are my favorite. Fairy tale is my favorite. Just ... everything. *huggles book* Ever since reading The Little Siren, a prequel to this series, I was so excited to see how this particular mermaid's life progressed.

The Siren and the Scholar is book two in the FARAWAY CASTLE series, and kept me thoroughly entertained (just as the prequel about Kammy did). I enjoye
Tricia Mingerink
I normally don't like a lot of Little Mermaid retellings. I've even had some of my favorite authors who have written Little Mermaid retellings and those books ended up my least favorite of the series. I'm not even entirely sure why I'm not always the biggest fan since I love fairy tale retellings so much.

But this book is probably my favorite Little Mermaid retelling I have ever read. Yes, it still has elements of the ooey, gooey type love, but both the guy and the girl are willing to give up ev
Ariel Masters
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story as much as the first book in this series.

The book begins with our little siren baffled and swimming in the middle of a lake... with legs! Uh-oh!

And so, her journey starts in the first chapter -okay, actually the first sentence; she becomes 'part of that world'. (Haha) She meets many fun people and creatures. One of my favorite 'peoples' is Mike, the funny, arrogant, but darling hunk that follows our siren around.

Anyway, you should definitely give this sweet story a try!
Suzannah
Writing tales of guilt and gore can get tiring sometimes! When that happens, I read one of JM Stengl's fluffy pick-me-ups. In this retelling of The Little Mermaid, we get a happily-ever-after and our heroine suffers nothing worse than some muscular aches and pains from being unaccustomed to feet...and it was exactly what I needed this week.
Cindy Vincent
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rich story meant to be savored. I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed reading about Kammy and her adventures, going from a mermaid to a human, and trying to uncover the reason behind it all after her memory had been taken from her. This was such a perfect summer read. There were plenty of intriguing aspects to the plotline, and yet the story also put me right in the middle of a beautiful resort and a surrounding lake. So while I waited anxiously to see if Kammy would sort things out, I also ...more
C.M.
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was every bit as much fun as the first in the series. It's a fresh, new, and more modern twist on the Little Mermaid tale that runs on a near parallel timeline with book one. Don't worry though, there is surprisingly little overlap of the plotlines. Siren and Scholar gives barely more than a cursory nod to the version of the story we know, preferring instead to blaze its own path with great results.

Kamoana's about as different from the original little mermaid as night is from day. She’
Rina
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very fun retelling of the little mermaid! Looking forward to reading the next books in the series!
Coco.V
May 09, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (5/9/2020)! 🎁
Lisa Dawn
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so thrilled when the sequel to The Little Siren came out that I couldn't wait to read it. So far, I have thoroughly enjoyed the Faraway Castle series by J.M. Stengl. The Siren and the Scholar takes place six years after the events of The Little Siren. It is inspired by "The Little Mermaid," and it's my favorite adaptation of the classic Hans Christian Andersen tale that I've read of it so far. The book catches up with Kamoana and Tor, the titular siren and scholar that were introduced in T ...more
Coralie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Faraway Castle series by J.M. Stengl. I was positively dying to read this one ever since I set hands on the prequel, The Little Siren. And, the publisher graciously sent me a free advanced copy of the ebook, for which I cannot be more grateful. Thank you!!

The setting was again primarily at Faraway Castle, though we did get to explore a little big of sea on Nelumbo's back and through flashbacks. The timeline was slightly unclear, though not enough to disrupt the sto
Kim  Gregory
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book yesterday as an Advanced Readers Copy from the author. I was so excited to begin it, I started reading right away and didn't stop. This whole series has been a delight to read. It's what I would call a "light" read. I can relax and enjoy, yet I know I am going to find some suspense and some adventure as well as romance - and it's clean! It's a great series for tweens and up (I'm 58).

I've been wanting to read Kammy and Tor's story since J M whetted my appetite with The Littl
DustBunniesAndBooks
This is a review of the entire Faraway Castle series to date. (Cinder Ellie 0.5, Ellie & the Prince #1, The Little Siren 1.5, and The Siren & the Scholar #2). Ellie's stories can be read separately from the Siren's stories, but the stories do take place at the same time and overlap. You can snag the prequel story The Little Siren at the author's website...you'll want to read it before The Siren and the Scholar.

This is a delightful series set in a world of cars and cell phones and resorts, yet ha
Nicole Pulver
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Siren and the Scholar is a great original fairy tale retelling. The book can be read alone, but is better after reading the prequel The Little Siren, which you can get for free after signing up for J.M. Stengl's newsletter. The prequel gives you the history of Tor and Kamoana , and adds more depth to this story. The Siren and the Scholar, is a sweet clean romance that involves mermaids, mermen, a little bit of mystery and some fun twists and turns. I love the world building and I really felt ...more
Melonie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was very excited about reading this book especially after reading the prequel! It did not disappoint! I loved it. I love the way the author reveals information a little bit at a time to keep you anticipating the next page. The reveals of a previous character .........I don't want to give any spoilers.....was so totally unexpected and surprising I still can't believe it, but it explains so much in this book and the last! I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I love this authors take ...more
christi anne
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the one I was waiting for!!
I liked Ellie and her prince... but I fell in love with Tor and Kammy.
This story was what I was looking for, too. It didn't disappoint at all.
Humour, cute love story, and I felt such sadness for a little bit. <3
It was just really good. The world Mrs Stengl created is amazing- can't wait to read the next one!!
clean
i received an arc for an honest review. this was honest.
Annie Lima
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story, a fun take on the Little Mermaid fairy tale. A little simplistic for my tastes, but I think it would be just right for middle grade readers. J.M. Stengl has created a delightful world, and it's always a treat to visit Faraway Castle. If you enjoy fantasy, give this series a try!
Kara
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
my rating is 3.5 stars

I really like Kamoana and Tor but for some reason I just didn't love this story. Very well written and such an interesting take on a mermaid being human. There is even a twist for one character that I didn't see coming at all, so much more interesting than I could've anticipated. Looking forward to more stories in this series :)
Michelle N
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited to get more of Kamoana and Tor's story! I loved them instantly. It goes to show that true love will always shine through.

This series is a sweet addiction that leaves you wanting more!
Jean
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable

I enjoyed the story. I like the way it was told, and I was very pleased with the outcome.

2 things though. The interactions with the Brownies (the magical creatures) gave me cravings for Brownie sundaes (the fudgey chocolatey baked treat with ice cream).

The next is a bit of a spoiler, but not too much.

2. The part where they put on wetsuits over their clothes I found to be a little ridiculous. Wetsuits aren't designed to be worn over clothing. Even if the clothing is skin tight, it w
Jodi
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would like to say that this is my favorite Little Mermaid Retelling yet!! -Except that, until now I have not actually read a Little Mermaid Retelling......
But my point still stands!
This book can be read as a stand alone - but I highly recommend reading "The Little Siren" first! It's a really fast, light and enjoyable read and enhances the story (adds to it, expands it, fuels the imagination- you get the point ;P ). This book is set in modern time - which threw me off at first, but after I read
Bess
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After a few failed reads, this one was refreshingly fun and quirky! The Siren & the Scholar kept me guessing all the way to the end. Since it had been sometime since I've read book 1, I couldn't really remember Tor very well. However, there was almost like a flashback and then it all came tumbling back to my remembrance.
I liked both Tor & Kammy. They were super cute and so very sweet. Nora & M(Pike) threw me for a serious loop though! I mean, wow!
This was certainly a creative read. Whil
Jackie
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An appealing YA romantic fairy tale cast in a modern setting

Interesting world with a magic/human environment. As others have said, it's similar to The Little Mermaid, but with enough variance to keep one reading.

Totally appropriate for a younger reader. Dialogue was a little stilted sometimes, and the actions and reactions were sometimes overblown--but overall it was a pleasant and easy read for a lazy afternoon.
Catherine ~All for the greater glory of God~
I liked the characters much better in this book than the last one.

The plot twist with (view spoiler) was interesting, but I think the reveal could have been better. The romance between (view spoiler) didn't really appeal to me; it seemed a bit insta-love. Perhaps it would have been better if we could have seen more of their journey.
Sharon Hughson
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the Usual Retelling

I enjoyed the twists and turns in this “Little Mermaid” retelling and give it a solid four stars.
If you like adventure and a bit of mystery with your fairy tale romances, you’ll enjoy this story.
M.H. Elrich
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A retelling of The Little Mermaid that made me feel warm inside because the love interest is actually the personality of my husband.
Joy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More adventure!

A beautifully told re-telling with more adventure and a terrible villain to make this my favorite of the series so far. This also had a lovely twist at the end, and we find out more about Madame Director of Far Away Castle. Stengl paints pictures and characters so wonderfully. I loved immersing myself in this world and I consider the characters friends.
Kate
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Did you read Ellie and the Prince and wonder what happened to Kammy and Tor when Ellie and Omar got pulled away to protect the unicorns? Well, here's your answer.

Kammy and Tor have three days to figure things out. The Summer Ball is in three days. Yes, that Summer Ball. But, Kammy's mother didn't take just Tor's memories this time. And another fish has been thrown into the pond as well.
When not just love, but someone's life is put on the line, where do priorities lie?

I really liked how Kammy's d
Karen Martin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not usually a Little Mermaid fan, but this book was amazing! I loved meeting the characters in the novella The Little Siren, and it was great to see where the characters went. Kamoana is a great character, someone who loves to learn, and a bit of an outcast among her sisters. She’s not crazy about being a ‘siren’, and is not fond of luring men or destroying boats. So, she can’t understand why she has no memories and has been turned into a human herself, especially when she’s told it’s to fin ...more
Emily
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book that got me to give into the temptation of staying up late to read. Who needs sleep when there's good books to be read? ;)

While I did find that I enjoyed 'Ellie and the Prince' more, 'The Siren and the Scholar' did not disappoint. It definitely added some unique spins to 'The Little Mermaid' fairytale, and it was fun to see how its event interlaced with events from the first book.

I do feel like readers thinking about reading it should first read the prequel novella 'The Little
Jessica
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another sweet, fun read in the Faraway Castle series. This time, we get to finish the story of Tor and Kammy. Fans of Stengl will remember Kammy from the short story, The Little Siren, which is included in the author's e-newsletter. You will also remember Tor from the first book in the series, Ellie and the Prince. Can meddling parents, loss of memory, and some evil villains stop a happily ever after from happening? You know there's only one way to find out! ;) This book was another quick read f ...more

• Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Till Midnight (Reversed Retellings, #1)
  • The Beast and the Beauty (Reversed Retellings, #2)
  • Voyage (The Kingdom Chronicles #6)
  • Twisted: Belle's Story (Destined, #3)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • Prince of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore, #2)
  • Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined, #1)
  • Thief of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore, #1)
Get a FREE book gift from J.M. Stengl when you visit her website!

Jill Marie is a native of southern California who, after a whirlwind life as a military wife, now makes her home with her husband in North Carolina, where she serves at the beck and call of two purebred cats and one adorable granddaughter. Obsessions include all things animal rescue, fairy-tale romances, knowing the lyrics to the

Faraway Castle (4 books)
  • Ellie and the Prince (Faraway Castle, #1)
  • The Rose and the Briar (Faraway Castle, #3)
  • The Lady and the Wish (Faraway Castle, #4)

News & Interviews