Start by marking “Discovery” as Want to Read:
Discovery

Discovery

The life of a nineteenth century priest has a profound effect on the future of a couple in 2012. Together, these intertwined stories will take you on the journey of DISCOVERY.

Abbé François Bérenger Saunière arrives in Rennes-le-Château in 1885 as impoverished as the remote mountain village itself. Inspired by the true story, this unconventional priest amasses a fortune, cr
Published April 23rd 2018 by Notramour Press

To ask other readers questions about Discovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovery

ABCme
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
For years there has been reason to believe that there is more than the bible tells us. Important parts of history might be left out. What was the role of Mary Magdalen among the disciples, and what was her connection with Jesus? Following the Cathars and Templars into France, we arrive at the Languedoc region, where various sites are dedicated to Marie Madeleine. We get a glimpse of history.
Moving on to the late 19th century and the restoration of the church of Rennes le Chateau. Father Sauniere
Molly
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
DISCOVERY

First I feel I need to acknowledge the cover of this book. The artwork so nicely conveys the beauty and depth of the story. The author, Leslie Schweitzer Miller, is also an excellent artist.

The story Discovery centers around religious scholar Dr. Giselle Gélis and archeologist Dr. David Rettig, who while falling in love travel the Languedoc region of France. Their journey to Rennes-Le-Château in search of secrets regarding Giselle's ancestor Father Antoine Gélis, introduces the theory o
Michelle
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating.

Dr Giselle Gelis and Dr David Rettig meet at a conference, she is a biblical professor and he is an archeologist.
Her faith is of the outmost importance to her. He is an atheist. On the surface, you’d think they would never work. But they are both quirky, kind hearted intellectuals. You soon believe that they actually shouldn’t be without each other.

But in the background a mystery is unfolding.
There are alternating chapters in the book telling the story of a priest many years ago who
C.P. Lesley
When Giselle Gélis runs into David Rettig at a biblical studies conference, she’s not expecting a life-changing experience. On the contrary, the thought foremost in her mind is escaping the creepy colleague who seems oblivious to hints of dislike and even outright putdowns. But Giselle and David hit it off, despite their differences of personality and the reality that any relationship between them can only be long-distance: she lives in France while he’s based in Israel.

In an attempt to spend ti
Amy
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting twist on the idea that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. The author has a great job of weaving the story between different centuries and generations of the lead character's family. I enjoyed the romantic aspect that was intertwined with the plot. Definitely a good book to curl up with on a quiet weekend.
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway but the opinions expressed are solely my own.
Carolyne Kauser-Abbott
This book was a terrific read. I was already aware of some of the background and theories related to Mary Magdalene in the South of France. When David and Giselle visited the grotto at Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume, the text reminded me of my visit to this beautiful, remote site. Although, the story was entertaining it was not until the acknowledgements that I realised how much of the premise of the novel was based on known facts. I love a book that not only entertains but also informs.
Patty
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discovery introduces the reader to a Biblical scholar – Giselle and an archeologist, David. She lives a rather insular life despite speaking several languages and traveling to conferences around the world. He works mainly in Israel excavating the world of the Bible but not following any of the religions it fomented. These two are the main protagonists in the tale but there is another important player – Abbe François Bérenger Saunière. He is the priest assigned to Rennes le Chateau as punishment ...more
Kristine
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Discovery by Leslie Schweitzer Miller is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early May.

Several vignettes take place between the 1880s and 2010s with an Abbe Jean & Abbe Antoine (a theological researcher) and a couple named David (an archeologist) and Giselle (hyperintuitive) with themes of Mary Magdelene and her marriage to Jesus Christ. David happens upon Jean and Antoine's sacristy, their letters, and ancient pieces of evidence, which creates pulls at his and Giselle's new, yet tenuous r
Stacey
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Giselle and David's romance kept me reading later than I should've stayed up at times, but I wanted to know what was going to happen. I also liked the theology and Biblical references along with the mystery. This was a nice summer read!
Ashwini Abhyankar
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
RTC
Tiffany
rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2018
Alice
Dec 14, 2018
Rose
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is wonderful book that circles around whether jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and what that could mean to today's christian if it were so. This is a wonderful story with multiple storylines. I highly enjoyed it.
Melissa Cheresnick
Jan 01, 2019
Bridget
rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2018
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: DISCOVERY by Leslie Schweitzer Miller

I first read HOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL by Baigent, Leigh, and Lincoln in the mid-1980's, probably a few years after its 1982 publication. It ignited my fascination with the Cathar spirituality (is that the root of "catharsis"?), the Languedoc, and Rennes-le-Chateau. So delighted I was to discover this novel, with its riveting introduction, endearing story covering multiple eras, and characters I loved to unravel, whose personalities leap off the pages. T
Carol
David
Sally Toerner
Carol
  • The Last Wife of Attila the Hun
  • The Devious Debutante (Love in New Orleans, #3)
  • Stalin's Witnesses
  • The Serpent's Crown: A Novel of Medieval Cyprus
  • The King's Sisters (The Cross and the Crown, #3)
  • The River by Starlight
  • Lenin's Harem
  • The Falcon Flies Alone (Falcon Trilogy #1)
  • Dreams of the Red Phoenix
  • The California Wife
  • The First Blast of the Trumpet (The Knox Trilogy, #1)
  • River of Dust
  • Tasa's Song
  • Faint Promise of Rain
  • Blood Rose Angel
  • Charlatan
  • Sugarland
  • Little Woman in Blue
A lifelong New Yorker, Leslie Schweitzer Miller holds a B.A. from Hofstra University, an M.A. from Columbia University, an M.D. from The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and a degree from the Institute for Psychoanalytic Education at NYU. She has long been involved in the theatre and arts communities, designing and building stage sets, writing articles for local newspapers, publishing and illustrat ...more