Start by marking “Winds of Marque: Blackwood Virtue” as Want to Read:
Winds of Marque: Blackwood  Virtue

Winds of Marque: Blackwood Virtue

(Blackwood Virtue #1)

The first novel in an exciting science fiction series—Master and Commander in space—a swashbuckling space adventure in which a crew of misfit individuals in the king’s navy are sent to dismantle a dangerous ring of pirate raiders.

In a dense star cluster, the solar winds blow fiercely. The star sailing ship HMSS Daring is running at full sheet with a letter of marque allow
Published April 16th 2019 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Winds of Marque, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winds of Marque

Linda
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
In the first of a new series (an eARC I received from Edelweiss), Winds of Marque follows the adventures of a navy in the future. It belongs to an empire where the nobles are the captains of spaceships no matter their ability (and quite often their ability is lacking). On the HMSS Daring Captain Sophia Riverton is a noble who has only been in the diplomatic corps before. She recruits our main character Liam Blackwood, a minor noble who has only held executive officer positions and he recruits a ...more
Kevin
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Bennet R. Coles and/or military sci-fi
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE PUBLISHER FOR THE GIVEAWAY!

Winds of Marque is fun. That’s what it seems everyone else who’s read it is saying about it, and a brief mention in the acknowledgments hints that “fun” was Bennett R. Coles’s chief goal.

Considering that, it succeeds. Sort of.

Our main character is Liam Blackwood, the chivalrous second-in-command selected to go on a spec ops mission aboard Daring under Commander Sophia Riverton. Along the way, he and Amelia Virtue (the quartermaster) are forced to
Heather Westing
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Bennett R. Coles and I was thrilled to receive an ARC. This is a new series, quite different from from his previous military SF. It's a swashbuckling space adventure and it was absolute fun. I got swept up into a universe evocative of old sailing ships, but in space - I didn't worry about the technology behind it, and simply enjoyed the ride.

What I liked most, especially considering how this genre could lend itself to old-fashioned sexist and racist attitudes of the 18th century
William Bentrim
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a strange mix of technology and antiquated terminology. The mode of transportation is interstellar but cutlasses and four shot pistols appear to be the hand weapons of choice. The overall feel is Horatio Hornblower meets Hans Solo.
This was an entertaining book regardless of the mixed messages sent by language and technology. Liam is an accomplished XO who is wondering why he isn’t yet a captain. Saddled with aristocratic officers, himself a minor noble, Liam chafes at their incompetence
Kathleen
An entertaining tale of naval adventures in space. This swashbuckling adventure does not differ much from naval/pirate tales of the past ___except for the welcome difference that women seem equal to men in power and character complexity. Ah, yes, and there is interspecies conflict. The technology is a bit clunky for a future space travel, but just go with it and enjoy the ride.
Joe Crowe
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is good for what ails you: pirates in space!

You can tell how much fun author Bennett R. Coles was having as he created the story. The book is just plain fun, worth plopping on the couch and enjoying.

It's funny, thrilling, and worth rereading. I need more of this, as soon as possible.

(review from an advance copy)
Loriann
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction lovers, especially teens
Recommended to Loriann by: Goodreads!
One of my students picked "Winds of Marque: Blackwood Virtue" up and signed it out of my classroom library. She brought it back to me and said that "it was a very good book." This would be a great book for sci-fi lovers.
Becky Grayson
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A total escape from what I normally read but this was a fun book! I enjoyed that women were placed in a place of authority and really liked the old and futuristic aspects.

Building the series was apparent but it made me look forward future books.
David Pedreira
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and inventive mash-up of science fiction and high seas adventure. If you like old-fashioned pirate tales, steampunk, and/or space opera, you will enjoy.
Michael Mammay
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Authentic-feeling space navy action with a lot of twists that really kept me guessing until the end. Recommended for fans of Jack Campbell.
Steven Ridgely
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love reading about pirates.
Janet Martin
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well paced adventure/space opera with good characters, fresh situations. Don't look for science that makes sense, but sit back and enjoy the fun.
Jim
Apr 21, 2019
Silviavg
Apr 01, 2019
Bennett Coles
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tammy
Luca
Attila
Feb 12, 2019
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • Waste Tide
  • Silver in the Wood
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
  • Motherland
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • The Harp of Kings
  • The Deep
  • Empress of Forever
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • David Mogo, Godhunter
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)