Start by marking “Below (North #1)” as Want to Read:
Below (North #1)

Below

(North #1)

From the author of The Demon Race comes a YA dark fantasy series inspired by Inuit mythology.

In the heart of the frigid North, there lives a demon known as the Face Stealer. Eyes, nose, mouth—nothing and no one is safe. Once he returns to his lair, or wherever it is he dwells, no one ever sees those faces again.

When tragedy strikes, Apaay embarks on a perilous journey to
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Wolf Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Below

Start your review of Below (North #1)
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Below was a tale of love, brutality and how love can survive despite brutality. It was inspired by Inuit mythology, and it engulfed me in an unceremonious world of snarling frost and piercing cold and took me on the most enchanting ride.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5

How do we define our identities? Is it our faces? Our families? Our heritages? Our cultures? Our names? The legacies we leave behind? The lies and truths we tell ourselves? It's all of these things and more. This book explored
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Two words: Inuit. Mythology.

Wait, two extra words: Stolen. Faces.

Blog - The Literary Invertebrate

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
Stephanie (Bookfever)
3.5/5

Wow, this book was certainly something. I do have to admit that the start was sort of slow for me, which is why I couldn't give it a full four star rating because I struggled a little to get really into it but once I reached the 50% mark in the story it was pretty hard to put down. The fact that the story was inspired by Inuit mythology is something I absolutely loved because it isn't something I've come across yet in any of the books I've read.

Below featured the very complex but
Micaela Muldoon
Oct 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
You had me at Inuit mythology.
Nastassja
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of dark ya fantasy with unique cullture

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Below is presented as a dark YA fantasy inspired by Inuit mythology. Honestly, I had no clue about the Inuit mythology before I picked this book up, but I can say that the premise is true: Below is really dark and cold - frigid - and the Inuit culture plays a significant role in the story.

Below starts with the main character Apaay hunting for food to feed her family at the hardest time of winter. But her hunting is interrupted by the news that the Face Stealer - a North

Fanna
Nov 23, 2019 marked it as definitive-tbr
Shelves: 2020-releases
I usually sell myself for dark fantasy books but when it says 'Inuit mythology', I'm completely sold! Super excited to read this as part of a blog tour by FFBC Tours.
Ehly
Review to come!
Shannon (discoverelysian)
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Follow the Map Scavenger Hunt of Below on Instagram! Tomorrow I will post a piece of the map, don't miss out

RTC
Alexandria Warwick
Jan 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm so excited for this book!!

Using this as a place to share more information about Below. Be sure to check back for updates!

11/5/19: Pre-order Campaign

Below is up for pre-order! For complete information, FAQs, and to upload your pre-order receipt, go HERE.

Below, which releases on February 4, 2020, will be available in eBook and paperback. The eBook will be at a reduced price of $2.99 throughout the pre-order period but will go up to its regular price of $3.99 on release day. There are two
Iman. I
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
ARC received for an honest review.

This book is so good. It is perfect in every way. I don't even know what to say. The characters are all so intricately created and protrayed it was hard not to feel everything they did. The worldbuilding had me in awe. The setting is very complex, especially with some fantastical elements, so being able to describe everything so well is amazing.

There are so many quotes I loved in this book but here are some of my favourites:
Don’t ever stop caring.” Voice
Lauren James  (storied.adventures)
Full review on my blog, Storied Adventures

*Thank you so much to the author for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!*
*Put this under retellings even though its technically mythology*

First of all, this book made me cry and I NEVER cry from books.
Second, I really enjoyed this book! Apaay faced sever weather, fighting wild animals, surviving nightmare's come to life, surviving being a prisoner, and losing her family. It was very intense at some parts! I wanted some more information
Anna Maria
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
After reading only the first chapter my excitement for this book skyrocketed. There isn’t a better setting for me than the dark, cold ones with many mysteries and secrets in them. I kind of got ‘Beyond the Wall’ (GoT) vibes, which is my favorite part of the show. So yes, my expectations were REALLY high.

The setting and atmosphere are great and they’re basically what I liked the most. What didn’t really do it for me was the actual plot. I wouldn't exactly call it boring but it did move slow for
Aleena
This one's pretty good.

Below is a tale reminiscent of East of the Sun, West of the Moon, Tam Lin, and Inuit culture and mythology. A demon called the Face Stealer haunts the lands where Apaay and her family lives, and when he strikes their village and steals her sister's face, Apaay is determined to go after him and bring it back. She sets out on a journey that takes her to the in-between, where she is captured and thrown into an icy labyrinth of tricks and terrors inflicted by a girl named
Alexia
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jordan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

Last year I read, reviewed, and loved Alexandria Warwick's debut fantasy novel The Demon Race, so when she contacted me about her upcoming North trilogy, I was immediately and eager to read the first book. Below has proved to be another ambitious and compelling story by Warwick that I had a wonderful time reading and now can't wait to continue the trilogy.

Below is set int he Arctic among the Inuit, a group of people that I have become interested in
Rebecca Crunden
Dec 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
A YA dark fantasy series inspired by Inuit mythology.

Consider me HERE FOR THIS.
Rendz
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

*I was provided an advanced copy by the author*

The Likes
I really enjoyed reading from Apaay’s POV. I thought she was such an interesting character. She was someone who was always striving to be enough but finding herself continuing to let down those she wanted to impress the most. She had so much heart and love that she didn’t see just how spectacular she truly was.

I’m not very familiar with Inuit mythology, but I definitely want to know more after
A_Girl_Reads
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Review to come!
Trisha
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
*** WARNING THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

I gave this 3.5 stars.

This is Apaay's story, Apaay is a girl from the North who is on a quest to retrieve her sister's face after it is stolen by the notorious Face Stealer. What Apaay does not anticipate is being captured by someone other than the Face Stealer and being sucked into the labyrinth and Yuki's cruel games.

The world building is complex and well done. Apaay is also a complex character who is desperately trying to prove herself to her
Marie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, I would like to thank the author for sending me a digital copy of the book so swiftly, as I received it within hours of sending the email.
My first impressions of this book was excellent. After the author released the cover, I fell in love with the illustration. For the first few pages I was very much already drawn into Apaay’s northern world. What this author especially excels at is painting environments, she describes them with such(but not obtrusive) detail that it helped me
Amanda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Below (North #1) was a great tale with many twists and turns! I loved the way the story and it’s characters were woven together. A perfect tale. The characters of Apaay, her sister Eska and her dog Nakaluq made me laugh, cheer them on and cry for them. I can’t wait to see where this series goes!
Courtney
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the Inuit mythology in this book!! Thank you for the ePub I loved it!!
Savannah Porter
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-ya
Inspired by Inuit mythology about the Face Stealer, this book is an action-packed story about a girl named Apaay who tries to get her sister's face back. She becomes trapped in a labyrinth and has to use every bit of strength––mental and physical––to overcome the evil Yuki and Numiak. And along the way, she discovers who she really is, even when all hope is lost.

As soon as I saw the words "Inuit mythology" and saw the gorgeous cover, I was hooked. Then I read the first page. Alexandria Warwick's
Agnes
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, arcs, favorites
Dark and emotional is how I would describe Below by Alexandria Warwick. The story contains quite a few elements from traditional fairy tales, like a quest and many trials the main character has to overcome. The descriptions are quite vivid, and the whole book was one emotional roller-coaster ride. Apaay's is a flawed but very likeable character, and I empathised with her. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone liking dark stories and I'll be waiting impatiently for the next part.
Rebecca
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a book that is centred around a specific cultures folklore, so when I was approached by Alexandria to read and review this book I simply jumped at the chance. She manages to render a world so wholly into being that I felt I was there, in the harsh arctic like land, braving the weather along side Apaay. I got chills whilst reading it, both from the beautiful style with which she brings the characters and setting to life and the fact that I felt like I was in the book, right there alongside ...more
Sally Fuhkyew
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2019
Shama
Jul 04, 2019

• Tiger Queen
  • Net Force: Dark Web
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
  • Coral
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • Autumn's Fall (To Kill a Queendom Chronicles, #1)
  • A Shifting of Stars (Of Stars, #1)
  • The Surface Breaks
  • Steadfast (True North, #2)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Maybe This Time
  • Broken Rules (Broken #1)
Alexandria Warwick is the #1 fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. She is the author of The Demon Race and the upcoming North series.