Start by marking “The Rose and the Briar (Faraway Castle #3)” as Want to Read:
The Rose and the Briar (Faraway Castle #3)

The Rose and the Briar

(Faraway Castle #3)

Power-hungry princes are Rosa's greatest dread.

Deep within the gardens of Faraway Castle sleeps a secret Rosa the gardener has sworn to protect with her life--the legendary princess Zafira. For three years she has hidden the princess almost in plain sight. But two nosy princes threaten to undo the work of a century.

When asked to take his sister's old job as Faraway Castle'
Published 2018 by Rooglewood Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rose and the Briar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose and the Briar

H.S.J. Williams
Jun 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
GIMMIE.

Amber Stokes
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
I've yet to fully read the first two books in the series (although I have them on my Kindle and am looking forward to catching up!), but after reading the two companion novellas and this third book, I can confidently say that I love Faraway Castle! The atmosphere of this series is absolutely darling and imaginative, and I particularly love all the garden descriptions in The Rose and the Briar.

The author mentioned on Facebook that Butchart Gardens (not far from Victoria, Canada) was part of the
Lisa Dawn
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After falling madly in love with J. M. Stengl's Faraway Castle series, I signed up for her Advance Reader List and had the pleasure of previewing her upcoming novel, The Rose and the Briar. This "Sleeping Beauty" adaptation is the third book from Faraway Castle with a few subtle nods to Ellie and the Prince, the first book in the series. It tells the story of Rosa, a young lady with the ability to control plants who is burdened with the task of caring for Zafira, a sleeping princess with dangero ...more
Tricia Mingerink
I've been eagerly awaited this book's release, especially since I've been majorly craving fairy tale retellings lately. And this book didn't disappoint!

In this book the reader steps once again into the world of Faraway Castle, this time focused on the spectacular gardens! There was just so much to love in this book, from the interesting twist on the Sleeping Beauty tale to the interesting magic that made the plants all cuddly and sweet. I especially adored Flora and Teddy! So much fun!

If you l
Jasmine
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can he see beyond her secrets? Can she see past his?

So, I was in the mood for a fantasy story, which is odd for me since fantasy is not my preferred genre, and I had The Rose And The Briar was on my Kindle. While I've not read any of J.M. Stengl's fantasy books, I have read some of her historical romance novellas in the past. I was in for a pleasant surprise and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this delightful fairytale.

Fun and whimsical, The Rose And The Briar is sweet and imaginative retel
Coralie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I thought for sure that The Little Siren would be my favorite of this series until the end. Now, I'm not so sure anymore.

Stengl has tackled Sleeping Beauty, and as some of you may know, that was my favorite fairy tale as a young girl. I have high standards for Sleeping Beauty because it holds such a special place in my heart. But, boy, did Stengl go above and beyond! She did not disappoint!

As always, Stengl's Faraway Castle books leave me warm and fuzzy inside. They're well-written, clean,
Ariel Masters
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is book three in the Faraway Castle Series; it was just as delightful as the other two;D And the cover... *give me a moment to fangirl* Rosa is so gorgeous! Screw the fake charm sleeping in a coffin. LOL!

What? A charming fake sleeping in a coffin? Yep! Well, without the coffin part. I think its some kind of fancy bed actually because Rosa is a sweet-heart deep down. I would have lugged the kid around in a coffin. Just sayin'.

Rosa is a different character, but one I feel the author nailed.
Kim  Gregory
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great and unique story. I think it's one of my favorites in the series. Rosa is a complicated character, with some hidden secrets to her personality. Briar is what a Prince Charming should be, patient, kind, and well, charming! Rosa's magic adds the unique factor to this story. If you want a light read with a touch of romance and suspense, then is it.

This is a clean read.
Melonie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is book 3 in the Faraway Castle Series. What a fun and surprising retelling of Sleeping Beauty.
The story unfolds with Rosa, the Head Gardener hiding something big and as the story progresses we find out what it is. Not everyone is who they appear to be and brings pleasant surprises. The book pulls you in as you rush from page to page and second guess who is good and who is bad. The story was so exciting I just didn't want it to end. Magical, romantic and full of suspense I can't wait to see
Kathryn McConaughy
Rosa is happy working as the head gardener at the magical Faraway Castle resort. (Well, mostly happy. Her inherited job of hiding the sleeping princess and brushing her hair always leaves her feeling mysteriously depressed.) But when a new Magical Creatures Controller is sent to Faraway Castle, Rosa can tell that he’s hiding his identity with an enchantment. But he couldn’t possibly be a prince sent to wake the princess—could he?
The Rose and the Briar is the third book in Jill Stengl’s Faraway C
Meagan Myhren-bennett
The Rose and the Briar
Faraway Castle #3
By J.M. Stengl

Rosa Bravo is the head gardener at Faraway Castle who uses her magical skills to give a special touch to all her work. But she also uses her skills to hide away a secret one that has been kept by her family for one hundred years. A secret that has given her a dread and distrust of princes for hidden within her garden sleeps the Princess Zafira. A princess cursed by her own ambitions to sleep until awakened by the kiss of a prince.

When Geoff B
Amy Fields
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
These have truly been great stories. Not only are they just the right amount of the things I love (princes, magic, romance), they also keep an 11 year old boy involved (magical creatures, mayhem, bad guys). There is an art and balance in doing that and these books deliver. From Pookahs to Princes there was something that we both loved in the book.

Rosa is a complex woman and Zafira is, in the words of my son "a creep". She really oozes evil even in her coma like state. Rosa hates caring for her
Karen Martin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh. I loved this story! Usually I find Sleeping Beauty tales simple, but this one took the familiar tale and turned it on its head so perfectly that I couldn’t put it down. I loved Rosa from the start of the series, and I was so excited to finally read her own tale, and it did not disappoint. She’s this strong, capable woman who can take care of herself and her charge, thank you very much. She also has some beautiful and creative abilities that I’m totally jealous of. Then there’s Briar; ...more
Leah
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author did an amazing job again with The Rose and the Briar.
Rose is the head gardener working at Faraway Castle, but she has a secret that she is trying desperately to keep hidden. Fortunately, she has very powerful magic and is up to the task. At least, until two princes make an appearance and threaten everything she's worked for...
Rose's character is beautifully written. She is a strong, confident heroine, but not without some major character flaws which in my opinion make her more realist
Sarah S
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
J. M Stengl's Faraway Castle series was a recent find for me. Typically I like more classic fairy-tales that are not set in recent times but Stengl has a way of drawing you in. I really enjoy the characters Stengl creates, they are light characters but enjoyable. They easily draw you into the story line and the book is full of pleasant and some laugh out loud plot lines that once you start you will not want to put down. I have read the entire series and I think Rosa might actually be my favorite ...more
Karen
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Makes me want to reread the entire series. It's been long enough that it took me a few chapters to get back in the flow of things. The descriptions, however, were very helpful for remembering little details without feeling like you were repeating the first books.
The rubber tree and tickling poison ivy were fantastic! What a great idea. Rosa's magic was fascinating. I also enjoyed reading about the mundane duties attendant with guarding a sleeping princess, such as brushing out her h
Annie Lima
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun twist on the traditional sleeping beauty fairy tale! I enjoyed this trip back to Faraway Castle. Rosa is an engaging heroine with an unusual talent that makes her fun to read about. The author makes clever use of language, especially when it comes to plants whose names could have double meanings. I recommend this book to middle grade readers (or those on the younger end of the young adult spectrum) who enjoy romance or fairy tale retellings.
Stephani Austin
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC.

This is a great continuation of the series! I loved who the hero turned out to be, and the twist on the sleeping beauty/Snow White type fairy tale. The spirit of the story is the same as the previous books in the series: sweet and an adventure that ends in romance. It takes place the summer after Ellie’s story, so there’s no overlap. Really enjoying this series and looking forward to the next one already!
J.M. Stengl
Oct 30, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, of course I like my own book! This one gave me more trouble to write--must have been all those thorns--but it was worth it in the end. I guess I had to keep writing until Teddy had a major role. He is stubborn that way. And even lazy Fauna got her big moment. :-D
Thank you, readers, for all the love for Rosa and Briar!
Betsy
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, fun, and charming. I love Ms. Stengl’s Faraway Castle series, and this is a wonderful continuation. The spin on Sleeping Beauty was very original, Rosa’s magic was beautiful, and the romance wasn’t over-the-top. One of her best!
Susan
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet book.

I truly enjoyed this book absurDist and Rose. Now to read all other stories from faraway castle resort. I can't wait.
DustBunniesAndBooks
Very enjoyable series!

4.5 stars. Really enjoyed this book, as I did the others in this series. I look forward to the next one. I will be giving it to my teenager to read.
Rosemary Herrick
Intriging and original

I love how Jill creates and develops characters. The growing magic and how the gifted discover the depth of their powers is lovely!
Sami
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Tori
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever

A clever take on the story of briar rose. I like the twist! Another sweet tale in the Faraway Castle series.
Michelle N
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The beautiful cover automatically draws you in and if you've read any of the other books in the series, then you know that it will be a great story! I love how different this is from the original. J.M. Stengl makes it her own and it works!

Rose and Briar are such fun characters! They have such good chemistry with each and with everyone else. You love them both individually and together. The creativity and imagination that went into the story is amazing. I have often looked at topiaries and wonder
Alecia
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
I was a little afraid this retelling wouldn’t be different enough or I wouldn’t like it. But I’ve loved the way she’s retold the other stories so I was only a little worried.

I was blown away by this story! I loved it sooo much

I received this book for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Dominique
I received a free ARC of this book, and I am voluntarily posting my review. This is a cute series, and this latest installment is my favorite so far. It's really more of a reimagining than a retelling, and the writing is more complex than the first two in the series. I think it's geared more towards middle graders and teens, but it can be enjoyed by adults as well.
Johanna Davey
Nov 29, 2018
Teagan
Nov 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Get a FREE book gift from J.M. Stengl when you visit her website!

Jill Marie is a native of southern California who, after a whirlwind life as a military wife, now makes her home with her husband in North Carolina, where she serves at the beck and call of two purebred cats and one adorable granddaughter. Obsessions include all things animal rescue, fairy-tale romances, knowing the lyrics to the b

Faraway Castle (3 books)
  • Ellie and the Prince (Faraway Castle #1)
  • The Siren and the Scholar (Faraway Castle, #2)