Start by marking “Meet Yasmin!” as Want to Read:
Meet Yasmin!

Saadia Faruqi

Meet Yasmin!

(Yasmin)

Meet Yasmin! Yasmin Ahmad is a spirited second-grader who's always on the lookout for those "aha" moments to help her solve life's little problems. Taking inspiration from her surroundings and her big imagination, she boldly faces any situation, assuming her imagination doesn't get too big, of course! A creative thinker and curious explorer, Yasmin and her multi-generation ...more
Unknown Binding
Published August 1st 2018 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about Meet Yasmin!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Yasmin!

Shenwei
I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a super cute and fun read. Each of the stories engages the curiosity and creativity of young children through short illustrated anecdotes that present a problem or challenge and lead to a solution through Yasmin exercising her imagination and brainstorming. Yasmin's Pakistani family and heritage are seamlessly integrated into the story, and the final pages include a glossary and facts sheet that teach a little Urdu and P
Adiba Jaigirdar
This was such a great book! Yasmin is a curious, adorable Pakistani American second-grader. Her interests take her from being an explorer, to a painter, and lastly, to being a fashionista.

Meet Yasmin! is a great book that encourages children to engage with the world around them and be imaginative. It also features a Pakistani American family whose customs and cultures are naturally integrated into the book - and are a seamless part of Yasmin and her daily life. All of this is aided by some wond
Danielle
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Four delightful stories with illustrations to match. The MC, Yasmin, is creative and bold while also finding her way through sometimes being worried or unsure. Relatable and full of spirit and fun, this early reader/early chapter book is a treat.
Jen Petro-Roy
I adored this book. We so need more diverse early readers, and Yasmin! delivers. I love her spunk and energy.
Krystal
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This amazing children's book introduces readers to the delightful Yasmin, along with her Muslim family from Pakistan, as we see her navigate a host of interesting situations with charisma and creativity, illustrating how multifaceted such an #ownvoices character can be!
This is a really cute book about a little 2nd grade girl, Yasmin, who is Pakistani American. She has different adventures that make her have to think things through to reach a solution. In one she has to learn to read a map. In another, she has to figure out what to do when she rips some of her mother's clothes. And my favorite is when she realizes that when given a project that involved building structures, that she could build the bridges that connected all the other buildings that others had ...more
Tammy
Finally - A series at a text complexity level similar to Frog and Toad that is culturally relevant and engaging. Readers in grades 1-3 will fall in love with Yasmin and her family. Students could read this book with a book club or in partnerships and discuss Yasmin's feelings, her reactions to a problem, and how the minor characters in this text support one another. There are four separate stories in this book that can be read separately or all in a row.
Susan
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this was adorable! I'm gonna go nominate it for the Monarch. (Side note for you librarians - your state award lists are always desperately in need of nominations! Go do it!)
Kathie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley for an eARC of this book. All opinions are my own.

Yasmin is an absolutely delightful character who is a breath of fresh air on the early chapter book scene. She's spunky, animated and full of big ideas that are all her own. Her personality is huge, as is her imagination, and she resolves her challenges with independence and creativity. She's a girl that every young person should get to know, and I particularly love the ways in which children will be able to relate to her,
Jillian Heise
Will definitely be adding to my school library as a fun, positive identity representation to include in our transitional chapter book section.
Papatia Feauxzar
I liked Yasmin the Builder the most.
Amanda Rawson Hill
This is the perfect early reader. very sweet with a great character and loving family! It shows a lovely diverse community. This should be in every school and library.
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review!

Meet Yasmin, a tiny little girl with big plans!

This book consists out of 4 stories. In each story Yasmin is trying out something else!

First story: Yasmin the Explorer: 4 stars. Yasmin is going to make a map of the neighbourhood, she is going to be an explorer! This was just adorable. I know I did the same thing when I was a child. Making a map of my home and neighbourhood, exploring every nook and cranny of it.
Only then Yasmin a
Camille DeAngelis
Such a delightful book! Yasmin is a smart and curious heroine, and the emphasis on creative problem solving is one I hope readers will carry with them. The illustrations are absolutely wonderful, as is the section at the end of the book with facts about Pakistan and a recipe for mango lassi.
Christina Carter
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-excursion
Note: Review of Advance Reader Copy Provided by Capstone | Book Releases August 1, 2018

Through four different stories, the reader gets to know Yasmin as an explorer, a painter, a builder, and a fashionista. As an explorer, she gets to learn about maps, being aware of her surroundings, and having a plan of action when she gets lost. As a painter, the reader gets to walk through the creative process with Yasmin. From feeling less than confident, staring at a blank canvas, searching for inspiration
Laurelei
Recommended for children ages 5 -8.

This is perfect! I love Yasmin; she's a great character who will be relatable and aspirational for kids. She has insecurities and fears but she also has enough courage to face them. Kids will relate to plot points like getting lost, being bored, feeling frustrated about not being talented/skilled enough at something, etc.

The art was cute and I enjoyed the diverse characters in the background. It wasn't simply a template where the skin colors were changed; each

Amber Webb
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to read Yasmin from the time Saadia announced it! I was not disappointed (and neither was my daughter). My seven year old picked up before I even had a chance and read it in one sitting. She appreciated that the three stories were brief and simple but jam packed with fun and adventure. We both enjoyed learning about a family different than ours in this #ownvoices book that provided us a window into a new-to-us culture.
Yasmin is an adorable little girl who is curious, passionate
Lisa Reed
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc-literature
Meet Yasmin is a lively introduction to an Islamic family. While the author does not share much about religion, she shares new words, clothing and the family unit. This is an easy chapter book for a second grader. It actually has four different stories about Yasmin. She is an explorer in one story with two chapters. Then using three chapters, Yasmin is a painter, a builder and a fashionista.

Each story builds on knowing Yasmin and her family. They help her and encourage in all her endeavors. Whi
Cindy
I've been excited about MEET YASMIN, Saadia Faruqi's kidlit debut, ever since I heard about it—and it did not disappoint! Yasmin will easily join beloved early reader characters; her spunk, problem-solving, and relatable adventures are perfect for preschoolers and early elementary school kids. (And probably one of the most important things to me in an early reader—I enjoyed reading it aloud as much as my 5 year old old enjoyed listening!) I was also completely blown away by how delightful Hatem ...more
Sara Grochowski
I’m a huge fan of this early chapter book, perfect for readers transitioning from leveled readers to slightly longer, chaptered stories! Saadia Faruqi’s Yasmin is a vibrant character with diverse interests and an engaging personality readers will surely love. Hatem Aly’s full-color illustrations are fantastic; his depictions of Yasmin’s emotions, especially through her eyes and body language, are particularly engaging. If you’re looking for something new to give readers of Katie Woo and The Prin ...more
Angela
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, moving-up
There is so much to love about this new beginner chapter book series: the spunky, relatable, diverse character; her loving and supportive family; her adventures and misadventures; the sprinkling of Urdu words; the bright, colorful illustrations; and the Pakistan facts and recipe included at the end. All of that in one tiny book!
Jessica
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this - great for readers who are just beginning to transition between early readers and chapter books. The book is separated into 4 stories, and along the way we learn more about Yasmin and her Pakistani-American family. The story is followed by discussion questions, a glossary of unfamiliar words in Urdu, a recipe, and an art activity. This would be great with a book club.
Julie Kirchner
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this new transitional chapter book series. What a great character to introduce to kids. They will love her spunk and fun personality. The back matter is great for helping students learn more about Pakistan. Super excited to share with kids in the fall.
Vanshika Prusty
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute, heartwarming story! Highly recommend for Kindergarten classrooms for class reading, and for anyone who just wants a pick me up! It's a wonderful, short book, and I hope many people read it.
Heather Jensen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meet Yasmin! is simply lovely. In her four adventures, Yasmin shows us the life of a Pakistani American. We learn about the Pakistani culture. Yasmin's curious nature and imagination allow her to tackle any problem that comes her way!
Beth Parmer
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-chapter
A must for all K-2 classrooms and libraries!
First reversereadathon book complete! So cute.
Melissa
Cute little beginning chapter book.
Megan McCloud
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She is very clever! I love how she solves problems.
Terri
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 4 of the Beginning Readers about Yasmin collected into one volume.

• Charlie & Mouse (Charlie & Mouse, #1)
  • Juana & Lucas
  • Lola Levine Is Not Mean!
  • Jasmine Toguchi, Mochi Queen
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • Fergus and Zeke
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King & Kayla, #1)
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • The Field
  • Rabbit and Robot and Ribbit
  • Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
  • The No. 1 Car Spotter (No. 1 Car Spotter, #1)
  • Weekends with Max and His Dad
  • Fox & Chick: The Party: and Other Stories
  • Barkus: Book 1
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
Saadia Faruqi is a Pakistani American author, essayist and interfaith activist. She was born in Karachi, Pakistan and currently resides in Houston, TX with her husband and two children. She writes for a number of publications online about the global contemporary Muslim experience. She is editor-in-chief of Blue Minaret, a magazine for Muslim art, poetry and prose. Her short stories have been publi ...more

Yasmin (10 books)