Start by marking “New Micro: Exceptionally Short Fiction” as Want to Read:
New Micro: Exceptionally Short Fiction

New Micro: Exceptionally Short Fiction

An addictive new collection of very short stories curated by Flash Fiction editor James Thomas and microfiction writer Robert Scotellaro.

Comprised of 300 words or fewer, microfiction is difficult to write but delightful and absorbing to read. With a foreword from Robert Shapard, coeditor of the Norton flash and sudden fiction anthologies, an afterword by Christopher Merril

Published August 7th 2018 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about New Micro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Micro

Start your review of New Micro: Exceptionally Short Fiction
Roxanne Russell
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Each story was an interesting read. The stories that made me feel as if I’d been told a complete story were the most impressive. There were only a few of those.
Honorable Mentions:
Erin Dionne’s New Rollerskates
John Edgar Wideman Witness
Ron Koertge Principles of Handicapping
Francine Witte Jetty Explains the Universe
Lucy S
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best book of microfiction I've ever come across - there are more gems in here than I can count, and so many examples of how to do this strange form right - so many beautifully crafted, haunting stories
Jessica
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To those who complain they were disappointed because this book is a collection of older writing, I say: read the Foreward. It literally explains it’s a guide through the pathways that have lead to micro fiction being considered a category of skilled writing today. I do wish they labeled the years on the pieces’ actual pages, but the list in the back is great too.

I love micro and flash fiction and this book helped educate me on writers I had not heard of, and gave me poignant stories that drew m
J. W. Surface
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
For anyone wanting to get into flash fiction, I certainly recommend this book. Its first 100 pages is chocked full of great pieces that will more often then not end with a punch to the gut. The second half however, kind of lacks. The better pieces are fewer and farther between.
Some stories read like prose poetry, which added to the collections charm.
Some favorites include:
"Letting Go" - Pamela Painter
"What Jimmy Remembers" - Kim Addonizio
"Sleepover" - Bonnie Jo Campbell
"Eating William Wells S
Lucas Moliné
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
solid read imo! i think micro fiction deserves more attention than it gets considering the times we live in. the most popular platforms for social media have a word count so why not read fiction that is limited by its word count. it’s hard to capture the plot line of a story with so many words but the stories in this collection achieves that and elicits the feelings a reader would get from reading a novel or poetry.
Lum Sao Ying
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Dreadful selection of short stories written in surprisingly similar styles. Reading this is what I imagine grading middle school assignments is like. A couple were good, but the poor editing made me abandon this.

No acknowledgement or research evident into similar writing innovations predating the works in this curated collection, such as short form writings in Japanese (e.g. Palm-of-the-Hand stories by Yasunari Kawabata).
Kristin
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Uneven, as anthologies often are. Many pieces are from 10, 15, 20+ years ago and feel it. Not quite the snapshot of what’s new in micro fiction that I was hoping for, but a decent collection nonetheless.
Lorette
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Using 300 characters of less, authors deliver a super short story, maybe a poem. I think this is a great assignment.
Joseph Matuch
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Giving this 2 out of 5 because about 2 (or fewer) of every 5 were worth reading.
Ella Mae

• Faithful and Virtuous Night
  • About a Boy
  • State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts
  • How to Be Good
  • Min kamp 2 (Min kamp #2)
  • The Inner Life of Animals: Love, Grief, and Compassion: Surprising Observations of a Hidden World
  • How to Houseplant: A Beginner's Guide to Making and Keeping Plant Friends
  • How To Be The Leader Of The Pack...And Have Your Dog Love You For It. ("How To" Booklets From Dog's Best Friend)
  • Uncanny Valley: A Memoir
  • Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities
  • A Long Way Down