Start by marking “The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)

The Wedding Guest

(Alex Delaware #34)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  10,066 ratings  ·  1,020 reviews
The electrifying new Alex Delaware thriller from global bestseller Jonathan Kellerman. First comes love...then comes murder.

In the middle of a 'Saints and Sinners' themed wedding, a bridesmaid finds a young woman's corpse collapsed in the bathroom. None of the wedding guests claim to know the well-dressed victim but psychologist Alex Delaware and Detective Milo Sturgis are
Published February 7th 2019 by Century (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Guest, please sign up.
Andrea
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  10,066 ratings  ·  1,020 reviews

Start your review of The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
Kaceey
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It’s your wedding day and everyone is dressed to impress! The sky’s the limit. Even going so far as renting a swanky old burlesque bar for the high-end reception. Dress code for the evening? Dress hot!

It’s all booze and big laughs until a girl is found dead in a hidden-away staff bathroom. One thing’s for certain…she certainly had the dress requirements. Hot little red dress complimented by spiked six inch heels.
But who is she? No one claims to know her. Not the brides’ side nor the grooms. Who
Luffy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I chose this book on a whim, and I realised that either the previous 33 prequels were more of the same investigative fare, or the writer was a heck of a zeitgeist. Here was a case with murder that is a conundrum, but there was far less ritualistic nonsense than books by more popular authors.

It was a pleasure to watch the cops following the threadbare thread and making painstaking progress. The guys on the side of the angels followed the evidence wherever it chanced to lead them.

Altogether I was
Sheri
Aug 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, fiction
This was such a slow read that long before the halfway point I no longer cared who committed the crime. There were too many characters, and with the lack of action and substance to build the case on, everything and everyone just became tangled in my mind. I never found the case all that interesting in the first place and by the end I was left unsure of what the motive even was for the homicide. I like the Alex Delaware series, but this one is just not up to par.
Tim
Apr 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story makes so little sense that it's hard to understand its purpose. 1 of 10 stars!
Barbara
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it

In this 34th book in the 'Alex Delaware' series, LAPD Detective Milo Sturgis and psychologist Dr. Alex Delaware investigate the murder of a wedding guest. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

When Brears Rapfogel and Garrett Burdett send out invitations to their wedding reception, which is being held at a repurposed former strip club called The Aura, the theme is Saints and Sinners - and guests are informed that "Everyone needs to be hot!"

Unfortunately one "hot" young woman, a brunette bea
Ken
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first Kellerman book which actually surprised me, not least because this being the 34th novel in the series!

Thankfully this mystery works well as a standalone and reminded me of many U.S. crime shows with long running characters that can be enjoyed with no prior knowledge.

In fact even the way in which the victim was discovered in a toilet at a wedding reception was also slightly and cheesy and fun.

It’s easy to see why this series is so popular as the chemistry between psychologists A
Jenny
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Bears Rapfogel and Garrett Burdict are getting married Jonathan Kellerman invites us to attend in the novel The Wedding Guest. It will be an unconventional wedding to say the least. Held in a former strip club, guests are asked to dress “hot” for this Saints and Sinners ceremony. But venues and theme are not the most unconventional aspect of this wedding. Finding the body of a young woman, clad in designer attire in a ladies room ranks number one on the unconventional scale here. But there is mo ...more
Diana
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review posted

Child Psychologist Alex Delaware and Lieutenant Milo Sturgis are crime solving once again. They are called to a homicide at a wedding with no witnesses, few clues, no suspects, not even the identity of the victim. Alex and Milo use their brilliant minds to track down every difficult lead and suspect they can find. Even when I thought I knew who dunnit, there is another twist, proving my suspicions wrong.

I have been reading Alex Delaware novels for years, and it almost feel lik
Brenda
The young woman in the red dress had been brutally murdered; her discovery by one of the bridesmaids a shock. The upstairs bathroom where she was found was well away from the wedding reception being held downstairs and on asking, none of the guests recognized the young woman in the photo.

Detective Milo Sturgis was immediately on the case along with his sidekick, psychologist Dr Alex Delaware – their most pressing concern to identify the victim. But with no identification, no recognition and not
Lisa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to Random House and Netgalley.
It's been 10 years since I've read one of these books, and I'll admit that it's almost like a soap opera. Not too much has changed. I love Alex and Milo. As always, it's a good story. I tend to get wrapped up in these books, then towards the finish realize that it's just the same old, same old. Nothing wrong with that, but I do sort of wish that Mr. Kellerman, after all these years would have started a new series. Oh well! This is a book and series that I'
Luvtoread
Alex and Milo are back!

The story begins at the wedding reception of a young couple in a unconventional facility named "Saints and Sinners" a redesigned strip joint which became a church and now holds receptions, parties, bar mitzvah 's and probably anything else someone would want to hold there.
A body is found upstairs in a not very clean restroom and immediately halts the reception and has the bride and groom angry as well as upset. The parents of the bride are also very upset that the their d
Danielle's
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don’t often read murder mystery but I really liked the title and the synopsis intrigued me. The wedding guest is a mystery. Nobody seems to know her.

Our victim is found by one of the bridesmaids looking for the little girl's room.

The victim is a young Female, who is unknown to the wedding party. Her cause of death is strangulation. The murder weapon was a thin wire of sorts. But who would want murder on a white wedding day? Everyone is a suspect. Someone must know something.

The detectives h
Anovelqueen
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k
Another hit from Jonathan Kellerman.

A young woman is found dead at a wedding reception. No one at the wedding knows who she is or why she is there. Detective Milo Sturgis calls in child psychologist and police consultant Alex Delaware to assist with solving the case.

This book is a textbook police procedural and takes you through every aspect of a murder investigation. Full of well-developed characters and rich dialogue building to a surprise ending.

This is the 34th book in the series but can be
Lou
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wedding Guest is the thirty-forth novel to feature Dr Alex Delaware, criminal psychologist/criminologist and long-time LAPD consultant and also features Lieutenant Milo Sturgis. Whilst I enjoyed reading it, it certainly wasn't Kellerman's best to date. As always the part I find most interesting is the criminal profiling and Dr Alex's probing into a suspect or perpetrators mind, including their possible motives. Each book in the series can be read as standalones and work perfectly well as suc ...more
Jenny
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Another Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis “affair” as the duo work to solve the murder of a young, well dressed woman found at a wedding reception. She wasn’t a relative, not a guest, but she was dead in a bathroom. As usual, Milo requests Alex’s assistance when he expects there may be emotional or psychological overlaying a case - and he guessed well with this one as Alex notices multiple possible issues during initial interviews of reception attendees. The case and search draw in several regulars fro ...more
Luvtoread
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Alex and Milo are back!

Linda Strong

An unexpected guest attends the Saints and Sinners themed wedding. Only this guest was not invited .... she's found strangled in a room that wasn't open to visitors .. and no one seems to know who she was.

The bride is understandably upset about someone having ruined HER day. The groom is trying to placate his new wife .. without a lot of success.

There are over 100 guests and Detective Milo Sturgis pulls Psychologist Alex Delaware with him while they are all being questioned. They must separate t
Kathy
May 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
What a mess! Lazy writing, inconsistencies, multiple loose ends, abrupt ending, etc. There's also Alex Delaware's snobby attitude. Yuck. I used to be a Kellerman fan.
Kathleen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is Kellerman’s 34th offering in the Alex Delaware police procedural series. The psychologist and LAPD Lieutenant Milo Sturgis team up to solve the murder of a wedding crasher at the Rapfogel-Burdette wedding celebration. Neither family has the slightest clue as to who the beautiful woman in the red dress could be. Indeed, discovering the woman’s identity is more difficult than one would imagine. It seems she used a variety of names over the past few years.

Kellerman’s writing style has a sta
Monnie
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah, what could be better than another get-together of two of my favorite characters - police consultant and psychologist Dr. Alex Delaware and his curmudgeonly but lovable cohort Milo Sturgis? In this one, their back-and-forths seemed more frequent and provided greater insights into their characters (and their relationship) than usual - for me, much appreciated. Besides that, Alex's long-time love and guitar-maker Robin landed a more featured role - still another plus.

As the title suggests, this
OutlawPoet
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. I especially enjoyed the way the author brought all sorts of seemingly unrelated threads together.

Our characters were quirky and I ended up liking some of them so much more than I thought I would - especially one Bridezilla.

It was a little weird how so many characters reacted to people with books. (Hint: people who read are weird and abnormal.)

But, a good, quick read!
Jeanne
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading kellerman is like seeing an old friend after being away for awhile. We pick up where we left off in the reader’s relationship with Alex, Milo, Robin and others (even the Koi are doing well). Interesting as always, never guessing the correct ending and enjoying the journey. Although I don’t care for most author’s scenic descriptive writing, Kellerman has such a deft hand you know the atmosphere/location with a minimum of words with maximum impact. As a visual reader everything from charac ...more
Jeff Dickison
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Alex Delaware series is one of my favorite, however, this book is a little tamer than others in the series. You could not figure out the killer from the beginning because he isn't mentioned until halfway through the book. It is good to see Alex and Milo back in the chase. Recommended to Delaware fans.
Lynn Horton
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is too down-market for me. I’m giving it two stars because the writing is clear and professional, and I had great hopes for the storyline. But the content is vapid, the protagonist is embarrassing, the characters are (generally) unlikeable, and absolutely nothing engaged me.
Skip
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
A spoiled girl and her brainy but reserved husband are getting married at an unusual venue, Saints and Sinners. One of the bridesmaids runs back to the bridal suite to discover a dead woman in the bathroom, choked out with a garrotte. The woman is gorgeous, and dressed to the nines in a red Fendi dress. Nobody knows her, and discovering who she was and how she happened to be at the party is a central theme of the novel. Interestingly, the venue has previously been a strip joint. Milo Sturgis bri ...more
Chris Conley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Kellerman continues to create fantastically confounding mysteries. This one was a real poser from page one. Solving it required all of Alex’s academic understanding and Milo’s fantastic detecting skills. I do love this series.
Bookworm
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m not a fan of police procedural stories, hence the lower rating. I get bored when a plot is too linear. The audio is well narrated and I think folks who enjoy this genre will like this book much more than I did.
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Dr. Alex Delaware, a very successful psychologist, is called by his friend, LAPD Lieutenant Milo Sturgis, for help with his current case. Sturgis is trying to get into the mind of a killer and he knows that someone like Alex is just the man to help him.

Can Alex use those very skills to analyze deductively why some can be very dark killers, having the worst minds ever? What brings Sturgis to Alex is the fact that the body of a young woman has been discovered by a bridesmaid a
Natalie M
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kellerman is guaranteed to provide a solid detective read and this one lives up to his reputation. Milo and Alex, are results the crux of novel, as their detective/psychiatrist roles are like a solid, well-worn marriage...still worth doing!

The crime is intriguing, without the fanfare of gimmicks and unbelievable tricks, albeit a psychopath is involved nonetheless. Thoroughly enjoyable, a tried and trusted formula that doesn’t require the reading of the entire series to enjoy one when the urge st

• Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Blood Oath (Alexandra Cooper, #20)
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Chef
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • The Rule of Law (Dismas Hardy #18)
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • Run Away
  • Walking Shadows (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #25)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #30)
  • Out of Sight (Amy Cornwall, #1)
  • One Good Deed (Archer, #1)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)