Start by marking “Thread for Pearls: A Story of Resilient Hope” as Want to Read:
Thread for Pearls: A Story of Resilient Hope

Thread for Pearls: A Story of Resilient Hope

A near-death experience in a car with her Mother; running from tear gas at a Vietnam War rally hand-in-hand with her Pop; a year in India learning side-by-side the country's 'untouchables;' the highs and lows of living on a rural Pennsylvania commune…and all before Fiona Sprechelbach's thirteenth birthday.

Set during one of the most politically divisive eras in American his
ebook
Published March 28th 2018 by Elfenworks Productions, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Thread for Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thread for Pearls

Quirkybookworm
Omgoodness! Where or how do I start this review for this colorful engaging book I was able to savor with a perfect happy ending?
If an author can evoke such a feeling from me on 2nd page where I literally want to strangle one of the characters, then I know I'm about to read an excellent book with a bang. That, my friends, tells me there is a very gifted storyteller on hand.
I love the fact that I was transported back to the 60's and 70's. It should've been labeled historical fiction. This is a sto
Reader Views
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Kimberly Luyckx for Reader Views (12/18)

“Thread for Pearls: A Story of Resilient Hope” is a novel set in the 1960s and 70s with all the history and culture that made that period rich and distinctive. Author Lauren Speeth’s main character, Fiona, is flung into this turbulent era from a negligent accident that strips her from her birth mother and older half-sister. At a young age, she is placed with her peace-loving father who immediately remarries granting Friona with a new step mum a
Sue
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I think you need to keep your heart together, wherever you are. You can't leave broken bits of your heart scattered all over the place. "

Fiona had a very different upbringing by today's terms. The novel takes place in the 60s and 70s when her life wouldn't have seemed as unconventional as it would to us today. She and her sister lived with their parents until her parents split up. Her sister stayed with her mother and she went to live with her dad and his new wife. Her parents were major counte
Marissa DeCuir
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thread for Pearls is a great novel that allows readers to understand the realities of living in America during the 1960s and 1970s. I felt deeply connected to Fiona in her journey to adulthood. We can all relate to being young and facing the dark decisions life offers us. Through her experience with drugs, her irregular family dynamic, and nomadic living, Fiona learns from her experiences and develops into a strong young woman. I found Speeth's choice to have a female protagonist incredibly impo ...more
Margaret Duke-Wyer
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Thread for Pearls we accompany Fiona on her journey through the chaos of the 60’s and 70’s. A journey that takes her from the USA to India, then back to Pensylvania: that includes a confusion of parental authority, veering from her birth mother, to her step-mother to her Grandmother and her father. For Fiona this means that she feels that she is wanted by nobody. She is rejected, she is emotionally hampered. She has one saving grace – she is clever, very clever. And she knows that through har ...more
Barbara Turkdal
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phew ! I had to let this book settle a while before writing this review. YES, it is worth the read ! Yes, many of the "Pearls" of history were those that I myself lived through. And...the struggles of the girl were real. Yes, I had to put it down and do other things before returning to the story. Yes, I finished the book...and was left unsettled...The writing was so spot on and open for emotions one would feel. Read this book, and hold on tight ~ it is quite a ride ! Kudos to Lauren Speth.
JKS Communications
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Thread for Pearls, readers follow Fiona Sprechelbach along her journey to adulthood. Growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, a time of protest, war, hippies, and experimental drugs, Fiona is able to survive by staying true to herself. The book is a great example of female strength. Having a strong female protagonist face life head-on gives readers a feeling that everything in life will fall in place. It just takes time and persistence.
Don Kane
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring tale of a girl's journey from infancy to College Graduation during the wild '6os and '70s, growing up in a family that embraces that wild time. Young Fiona finds her way through the confusing times by creating a set of rules to make sense of her world. You can't help but admire and like Fiona.
Ellen Whitfield
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read -- I fell in love with Fiona immediately and was so invested in her story. The author does a wonderful job putting you in the past, as well as all of the locations Fiona travels too, but the heart of the story is how those experiences shape her, and that will stick with me.
Olga Pavlov
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Risky plot and amazing characters lead to an amazing adventure! The story and the figures are leading to a pleasant highlight which I enjoyed a lot. Please more of it! Thank you for the good entertainment!
Hannah
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Speeth takes an incredibly difficult time and manages to create a hopeful and healing story in Thread of Pearls. I immediately felt connected to Fiona and her story and often stayed up far past my bedtime to continue reading.
Vanessa Zita
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The story really sounded interesting but unfortunately the writing was too exhausting for me.
I just couldnt feel for the main character even though he faced so much pain.
Maybe it is just not my style of read but you can see the author has put a lot of effort in between the lines.
Annie Li
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner. Highly recommended for heroines of all ages.
Mary Nee
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great novel, very colorful engaging book .Had amazing characters with amazing adventure! Three cheers for this book.
Korie Brown
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So wonderful to finally have the time to read my dear friend’s novel!
Kathryn Notestine
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could NOT put my kindle down. Engaging and exciting story with interesting characters that draw you into their lives. This book is so unlike anything out right now that I have read
Marcia Brown
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cheered for Fiona to triumph as she struggled to come to terms with the unusual dynamics of her family and of the times into which she was born. And triumph she did, overcoming a string of devastating events as well as the regular hardships of growing to adulthood. It is a beautiful tale of resilient hope. (less)
Samantha
Sep 16, 2018
Judith Hantl
Oct 22, 2018

• The Miracle Donut
  • Let's Talk About Death (over Dinner)
  • The Lost Love Letters of Henri Fournier
  • Uncle John's Actual and Factual Bathroom Reader
  • All the King's Horses: Finding Purpose and Hope in Brokenness and Impossibility
  • Populatti
  • Rush of Shadows
  • Feast Of  Dreams (Four Feasts Till Darkness #2)
  • Blood Diaries: Tales of a 6th-Grade Vampire
  • Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!
  • Lola Goes to Work: A Nine-to-Five Therapy Dog
  • Dragonblood Throne: Legacy
  • Faster: A Rock and Roll Romance
  • Cancer Crossings: A Brother, His Doctors, and the Quest for a Cure to Childhood Leukemia
  • Springtime In Lawrence Park
  • The Family That Stays Together (A Sister Nun Mystery, #2)
  • The Foster Children of Time (Temporal Affairs, Book 1)
  • Operation No Coincidence
Master storyteller Lauren Speeth has cast her vision “beyond film and music” over the years with audiences around the world, to critical acclaim. Her interests run the gamut, from books about the American experience to 3-D films about Irish spirituality, to music about love and life. Nearly a dozen years ago, she penned her first book, a coffee-table book entitled Tracks of Hope: The Forgotten Sto ...more