Start by marking “Hive (Hive #1)” as Want to Read:
Hive (Hive #1)

Hive

(Hive #1)

All I can tell you is what I remember, in the words that I have.

Hayley tends to her bees and follows the rules in the only world she has ever known.

Until she witnesses the impossible: a drip from the ceiling.

A drip? It doesn't make sense.

Yet she hears it, catches it. Tastes it.

Curiosity is a hook.

What starts as a drip leads to a lie, a death, a boy, a beast, and too many a
Published June 26th 2018 by Pan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Hive, please sign up.
Tanzeem
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Hive (Hive #1)
Veronica ⭐️

I’ve read quite a few reviews and heard a lot about A.J. Betts novel Zack & Mia so I was delighted to have the opportunity to read and review Betts’ latest novel Hive.

Hayley’s world consisted of 6 hexagonal houses each connected to a common room by corridors. Above these was a nursery and above that the Upper house for The Council. The Council was the ruling group which was headed by the Judge, a role that was inherited.
Much like a bee hive everyone has th
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
I will freely admit that my usual reading fodder rarely extends to young adult and dystopian style fiction. However, a new book by a successful Perth based writer, who I have not yet had the pleasure of reading encouraged me to try Hive, by A.J. Betts. This visually appealing front cover, a foil gold embossed bee wings design initially drew me into this book. I was intrigued and my curiosity was rewarded by a highly innovative storyline, that I ques
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-5-stars
When Hive landed on my doorstep I have to admit that I didn't even read the blurb on the back. I was just completely smitten with the pretty, shiny cover. I always forget how much I love going into a book blind. For me there's that extra layer of excitement with not having any idea what will happen. And I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

Hayley lives a very simple, well ordered life. Everything is controlled. From food choices, eating times, bed times, marriage and births. Everyone
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
This was SO GOOD. How can I possibly wait until 2019 for the sequel??
Zitong Ren
Provided by the State Library Victoria as part of the Inky Awards.

Hive. I never thought much about the title, but it makes absolute sense to the context of the book. It’s a short little novel that is under three hundred pages and it follows a girl, called Hayley whose world is restricted to nine different rooms, six of which are called houses, one is a commons room, one a nursery and the final one is for the council. That is her world and as far as she is concerned at the beginning, that was the
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

What an unexpected surprise! I was completely hooked from beginning to end with Hive, as we find out about the cult-like world that Hayley lives in.

It starts with a bee going where it shouldn't, a drip from the ceiling and secrets that shouldn't be told, and from there, Hayley's life is thrown into turmoil. Hayley discovers something unusual about her orderly world via a drip in the ceiling which unravels a chain of events that sets everything into motion.

There's an immediacy about the
Theresa Smith
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Refreshingly unique and highly absorbing, Hive by A.J. Betts is the first in a two part dystopian YA series about a community who live in a hexagonal world. YA and dystopian go hand in hand but they are not my usual reading material. I think I overdosed on it a few years back and it’s been a struggle to tolerate ever since. But I will tell you now, what a novel to break the drought with! Hive had me captivated from the beginning, I only wish it was one huge novel rather than a two part series, b ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Hive is the first in a young adult duology by Australian author A.J. Betts. Set in a dystopian future, Hayley's world is made up of hexagonal houses where everyone has a vocation. Hayley is a gardener and tends the bee hive and plants with her best friend Celia. Grow lights change colour to dictate the passage of time and all 300 inhabitants have a job to do. Each person contributes to the running of the settlement that almost operates like a hive.

Isolated from the rest of the world, governed by
Siobhan Bejr
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 Stars.

'Hive' is the first of A.J. Betts' book that I have read but 'Zac & Mia' is next on my list!
After having the amazing opportunity to meet Amanda at the book club we run at our local book store, I had been completely psyched to read this book! It was amazing to listen to Amanda tell us about the book and give us a few teasers, but you could see she was so passionate and excited about her book and it just spilled through to all of us there!
So where do I even begin?
As I got t
Suzie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars! I devoured this and I need the next book ASAP 👍
Brooklyn Tayla
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Look out for "Hive" for it is, hands down one of the most unnerving and unsettling books I've come across! Throughout I was constantly chilled and could never guess what would come next, and that ending has got me dying to know what is in store for book 2! What an atmospheric, unnerving read! Full review to come closer to publication, thank you Pan Macmillian Australia for providing me with a copy to review!
Bubbles
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: inky-awards-2019
“Within me, the truth unfurled, opening as a flower. I breathed as if for the first time.”

<<>>>>

Thanks to the State Library of Victoria for sending me a copy of this book for the Inky Awards.

This book was... very strange! I've definitely never read anything like it. At all. I strongly recommend you read it if you like mind-boggling sci-fis that, as soon as you finish reading them, make you close the book and stare into the abyss contemplating life for a good half an hour.

I think why I only rate
Nadia King
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hive by A.J. Betts is a compelling, melodic but oh, so chilling read. Betts has written a book akin to Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale where control is largely imposed upon an unquestioning society.

Hive is the story of fifteen-year-old Hayley. Hayley lives in a different world. A world made of hexagons, and secrets and lies. A world with new meanings and assigned roles. A world where our world has completely disappeared from view.

Betts has created a new world order based upon the structure of a bee
Madison
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hive is a unique dystopian story. Intricately crafted, the world beautifully written, this gentle and compelling story is just the start of an exciting two-book series. The narrator, alongside the reader, knows only of the day-to-day rhythm of life and the stories she has been told. As she questions, explores and discovers scant details, she, and the reader, learns there is far more to the world than she could have expected.

Hayley is a beekeeper. It is her job to tend the Hive, just one of the g
Tabi  (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jul 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
this sounds so weird I love it
Figgy
Review to come.

In the meantime...

It's always fun and interesting to read an unusual, speculative, culty, and/or apocalyptic story set in Australia. Though this is not immediately clear in the reading, one does suspect when they understand that this author is based in Australia.

This was a well-built world with lots of thought evidently put into it, though some things might seem a little illogical at first, and I kept reading to see where the plot went, while not feeling particularly invested in
Bec (becklebooks)
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Interview with A.J.Betts is on my blog. :)
Pan Macmillan Australia
The world A. J. Betts has created has traces of A Handmaid's Tale and even Room, yet is utterly unique in its own way. This world captured me from the first pages; all its secrecy and the sense of deception created had me unable to put it down until I knew more.

If you haven't already, definitely have a read. Looking forward to the next installment! - Sarah
Claire
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5***** This was such a great story, something very different that really makes you wonder. Set in the Hive where everyone lives, no one asks questions and everyone follows the rules, life seems good. Until one girl asks too many questions and her inquisitive nature leads her places she never could have imagined. I cannot wait until book 2 comes out next year, what a cliffhanger of an ending.
Bron
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was lucky to have this one sent to me, at my request, by Pan Macmillan.
I loved this. Once I got into it I found myself completely immersed in the world and its secrets! I didn't know what was going to happen next, and the ending has me busting for book two to come out!
This is getting some comparisons to The Handmaid's Tale, which I think kind of makes sense, but I thought it was more culty and creepy, and less feministy dystopia than that.
I think this is a good one for fans of Gather the Daugh
Calzean
Hayley lives in a dystopian community where "Blessed Are the Fruit" should be the motto. Housing is in a set of bee hive like structures. Everyone has a predetermined role as a gardener, engineer, netter (they catch "meat"), beekeeper, etc. Loyalty and adherence to some unwritten set of rules handed down by "God" and administered by a judge controls the community. Sex and marriage is regulated.
Hayley is a questioner and comes across a series of events which questions what the community is, where
Courtney  (courtneyandherbooks)
3.5 Stars

I am writing this after finishing Rogue as well, and do not regret giving this 3 stars. While this book had an interesting premise, reading it made me confused a lot and I get that it was probably the point - why are these things happening? Why are they bad? But wait, that's just this? I just don't think the world building was strong enough or that we got to spend long enough in it. 260 pages is very short! I was intrigued enough to finish it within 2 days and want to read the sequel th
AmeliaAdriannaBooks
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
Review to come.
Miffy
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this one. I think I want more - feels ‘unfinished’, like there’s more to be said.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, aww
My View:
Let’s start by admiring the spectacular cover art with its gold embossing, award winning I would suggest.

The narrative is simply driven, and quietly spoken which belies the horrors of the actual landscape. Through Hayley’s eyes we explore a futuristic world where the division of labour determines an individual’s existence and pathway to adulthood, a world where dissidents are not tolerated.

A J Betts has quickly established this “other world”, the main characters and a mystery that is
Jemimah Brewster
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hive is one of those rare un-put-downable books that I devoured in less than a day. Betts’ intricate and fascinating world-building is excellently-rounded; she carefully answers and half-answers every logistical question for the world that Hayley lives in, while leaving enough intrigue that I’m still thinking over every aspect of the work. The pacing of Hive keeps readers on a knife-edge of curiosity and tension, building pressure and half-answering questions until the gripping final chapters.

My
Simone
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a fantastic and unique dystopian world. I loved the limited narration and the slow reveal of information and the overwhelming haunting sadness of this doomed society.
Jem
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible, it was unique and it was engaging throughout the entire book 😍 I loved the idea that AJ has come up with, the idea of a dystopian society that knows nothing else apart from what they have been taught. It was so interesting reading it and knowing the concepts they didn't know or were lacking knowledge about. The world that AJ has created is intricate and has it's own systems that all function separately but without one it would not function as a whole. The concepts she h ...more
Emily Wrayburn
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: aussie-books, fiction
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind 01 April 2019:

This was one of those books that I was fairly sure I wasn’t really into, but the ending was satisfying enough that I want to know what happens in the next book.

This is a slow-moving book and I guess I was expecting something a bit faster. The blurb led me to think that once Hayley found an anomaly in the culty/dystopian world they live in, things would unravel quite quickly. But they don’t really. Instead, Hayley tries to fin
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
'The Hive' is one of the many books I've purchased with some connection to bees. Developed from a fascination with them and in attempts to write a university assignment, all fiction and non-fiction bee books have taken top priority.

"Not everything has a meaning" (33).

In a hexagonal world that the inquisitive fifteen-year-old Hayley and her community live in, everything is provided for them. Organised by their jobs, Gardener's, Netters, Engineers and so forth, the landscape brings about a utopi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Dog Runner
  • Lenny's Book of Everything
  • Weapon (Whisper, #2)
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
I'm a Perth-based writer who writes realistic fiction for teenagers (14+) but adults enjoy them too. I'm also an English teacher, poet, writer of non-fiction texts, presenter and reader.

Hive (2 books)