Start by marking “Hive (Hive #1)” as Want to Read:
Hive (Hive #1)

Hive

(Hive #1)

All I can tell you is what I remember, in the words that I have.

Hayley tends to her bees and follows the rules in the only world she has ever known.

Until she witnesses the impossible: a drip from the ceiling.

A drip? It doesn't make sense.

Yet she hears it, catches it. Tastes it.

Curiosity is a hook.

What starts as a drip leads to a lie, a death, a boy, a beast, and too many a
Published June 26th 2018 by Pan Australia

Veronica ⭐️

I’ve read quite a few reviews and heard a lot about A.J. Betts novel Zack & Mia so I was delighted to have the opportunity to read and review Betts’ latest novel Hive.

Hayley’s world consisted of 6 hexagonal houses each connected to a common room by corridors. Above these was a nursery and above that the Upper house for The Council. The Council was the ruling group which was headed by the Judge, a role that was inherited.
Much like a bee hive everyone ha
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
I will freely admit that my usual reading fodder rarely extends to young adult and dystopian style fiction. However, a new book by a successful Perth based writer, who I have not yet had the pleasure of reading encouraged me to try Hive, by A.J. Betts. This visually appealing front cover, a foil gold embossed bee wings design initially drew me into this book. I was intrigued and my curiosity was rewarded by a highly innovative storyline, that I ques
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Hive landed on my doorstep I have to admit that I didn't even read the blurb on the back. I was just completely smitten with the pretty, shiny cover. I always forget how much I love going into a book blind. For me there's that extra layer of excitement with not having any idea what will happen. And I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

Hayley lives a very simple, well ordered life. Everything is controlled. From food choices, eating times, bed times, marriage and births. Everyone
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
This was SO GOOD. How can I possibly wait until 2019 for the sequel??
Hannah
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s very exciting when you are privileged enough to hear about a book in its very early conception stages and then get to be a part of the team bringing it to life years later.

Hive was an intensely captivating, at times claustrophobic read that will leave you hanging for the next book.
Siobhan Bejr
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 Stars.

'Hive' is the first of A.J. Betts' book that I have read but 'Zac & Mia' is next on my list!
After having the amazing opportunity to meet Amanda at the book club we run at our local book store, I had been completely psyched to read this book! It was amazing to listen to Amanda tell us about the book and give us a few teasers, but you could see she was so passionate and excited about her book and it just spilled through to all of us there!
So where do I even begin?
As I g
Brooklyn Tayla
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Look out for "Hive" for it is, hands down one of the most unnerving and unsettling books I've come across! Throughout I was constantly chilled and could never guess what would come next, and that ending has got me dying to know what is in store for book 2! What an atmospheric, unnerving read! Full review to come closer to publication, thank you Pan Macmillian Australia for providing me with a copy to review!
Nadia King
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hive by A.J. Betts is a compelling, melodic but oh, so chilling read. Betts has written a book akin to Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale where control is largely imposed upon an unquestioning society.

Hive is the story of fifteen-year-old Hayley. Hayley lives in a different world. A world made of hexagons, and secrets and lies. A world with new meanings and assigned roles. A world where our world has completely disappeared from view.

Betts has created a new world order based upon the structure of a bee
Theresa Smith Writes
Refreshingly unique and highly absorbing, Hive by A.J. Betts is the first in a two part dystopian YA series about a community who live in a hexagonal world. YA and dystopian go hand in hand but they are not my usual reading material. I think I overdosed on it a few years back and it’s been a struggle to tolerate ever since. But I will tell you now, what a novel to break the drought with! Hive had me captivated from the beginning, I only wish it was one huge novel rather than a two part series, b ...more
Bec
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Interview with A.J.Betts is on my blog. :)
Claire
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5***** This was such a great story, something very different that really makes you wonder. Set in the Hive where everyone lives, no one asks questions and everyone follows the rules, life seems good. Until one girl asks too many questions and her inquisitive nature leads her places she never could have imagined. I cannot wait until book 2 comes out next year, what a cliffhanger of an ending.
Figgy
Review to come.

In the meantime...

It's always fun and interesting to read an unusual, speculative, culty, and/or apocalyptic story set in Australia. Though this is not immediately clear in the reading, one does suspect when they understand that this author is based in Australia.

This was a well-built world with lots of thought evidently put into it, though some things might seem a little illogical at first, and I kept reading to see where the plot went, while not feeling particularly invested in
Bron
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was lucky to have this one sent to me, at my request, by Pan Macmillan.
I loved this. Once I got into it I found myself completely immersed in the world and its secrets! I didn't know what was going to happen next, and the ending has me busting for book two to come out!
This is getting some comparisons to The Handmaid's Tale, which I think kind of makes sense, but I thought it was more culty and creepy, and less feministy dystopia than that.
I think this is a good one for fans of Gather the Daugh
AmeliaAdriannaBooks
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
Review to come.
Miffy
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this one. I think I want more - feels ‘unfinished’, like there’s more to be said.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww, own
My View:
Let’s start by admiring the spectacular cover art with its gold embossing, award winning I would suggest.

The narrative is simply driven, and quietly spoken which belies the horrors of the actual landscape. Through Hayley’s eyes we explore a futuristic world where the division of labour determines an individual’s existence and pathway to adulthood, a world where dissidents are not tolerated.

A J Betts has quickly established this “other world”, the main characters and a mystery that is
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
'The Hive' is one of the many books I've purchased with some connection to bees. Developed from a fascination with them and in attempts to write a university assignment, all fiction and non-fiction bee books have taken top priority.

"Not everything has a meaning" (33).

In a hexagonal world that the inquisitive fifteen-year-old Hayley and her community live in, everything is provided for them. Organised by their jobs, Gardener's, Netters, Engineers and so forth, the landscape brings about a utopi
Elizabeth Rose
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having once been the keeper of the Children's and YA sections at a bookstore, I have found myself strangely unable to touch YA books over the past few years.

Despite that, I reluctantly ventured into the YA section of a local bookstore the other day, just to see what I'd been missing. When I saw a copy of Hive sitting face-out in a local bookstore, I decided to buy it before I'd even picked it up. We're all well past the "yes, we do actually judge books by their covers" thing, so I'll get straig
Jodie- Readthewriteact
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the publisher for my honest review.

Do you remember the movie from the early 2000s called The Village? Gated community, the kids don’t know that the outside world exists. It doesn’t take you long to figure out that Hayley’s world is like that. This isn’t a spoiler, it is a given really.

What is interesting is the inner workings of the community and how Hayley comes to the realisation that things aren’t as they seem. My first thought was, “how could no one have questione
Natalie Haigh
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The narrator, Hayley, lis the senior beekeeper in a contained community where everyone has an assigned role. The garden, the engine house, the netters, the kitchen, the teachers, the servicers - all ruled over by the judge and following the rules of God who provides the clean water required for everyone to live. Escaping one day to a disused area to find relief for her headaches, a dreaded sign of madness, Hayley discovers a drip. A drip, when water was precious and sacred, it was God's gift fil ...more
Carole
Hayley lives in a community that reminded me of almost a cult - there are strict rules and curfews, with everyone having their allocated functions. Hayley's job is to look after the bees in the garden, but when she uncovers some secrets she begins to question if what she has been brought up to believe is really the truth. This is a gripping, well written story. Hayley is very likeable, from her 'headpains' and fears of being thought to be mad, to her guilt at letting down her best friend as her ...more
Michelle Long
This sucked me in straight away. It's not a long read, only takes a couple of days as not many pages; in fact I wonder if it was written as part 1 of a longer book and then the publishers decided to split it into 2 separate books. The 2nd book is coming out in early 2019 so obviously it was all written in one go. I would have liked it to be 1 book in 2 parts, rather than having to wait for #2, but I guess that's marketing for you. At least I don't have to wait too long - the ending of Hive left ...more
Jemimah Halbert
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hive is one of those rare un-put-downable books that I devoured in less than a day. Betts’ intricate and fascinating world-building is excellently-rounded; she carefully answers and half-answers every logistical question for the world that Hayley lives in, while leaving enough intrigue that I’m still thinking over every aspect of the work. The pacing of Hive keeps readers on a knife-edge of curiosity and tension, building pressure and half-answering questions until the gripping final chapters.
Pan Macmillan Australia
The world A. J. Betts has created has traces of A Handmaid's Tale and even Room, yet is utterly unique in its own way. This world captured me from the first pages; all its secrecy and the sense of deception created had me unable to put it down until I knew more.

If you haven't already, definitely have a read. Looking forward to the next installment! - Sarah
Hayley
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, oz-ya, young-adult, 2018
2.5 stars? I don’t even know. It was- interesting, but not really what I was expecting? The protagonist was so naive (obvs) but honestly none of the characters were great? Ughhhhhh.
Plus the ending was super abrupt and I don’t even know.
Simone
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a fantastic and unique dystopian world. I loved the limited narration and the slow reveal of information and the overwhelming haunting sadness of this doomed society.
Deborah
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Waiting for something interesting to happen and after 85 pages couldn’t be bothered finding out . Too slow to explain the world, the concept. Skimmed ahead a bit, but found nothing that made me care. Disappointed.
Trisha
Strong, unsettling, thoughtful.
Megan
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to review this without giving anything away so I'll start with the first paragraph of the school study guide prepared by the publisher:

"Hayley is a fifteen-year-old beekeeper and her realm is the garden. In her enclosed, self-su cient community, people are assigned positions such as enginer, kitchener, gardener, seeder and netter. In this world, growlights determine the pattern of days, designated plants are nurtured, and some seeds are stored for a possible future. Water comes from the ‘
Olivia (littlebookbirdy)
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

First of all I would like to thank Pan Macmillan Australia with providing me a free copy to review!

My Rating = Four Stars

Released: 26th of June 2018

Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia

Format: Paperback

Available to buy here:

Booktopia // Amazon // QBD Books // Dymocks

Blurb
All I can tell you is what I remember, in the words that I have.

Until she witnesses the impossible: a drip from the ceiling.

A drip? It doesn't mak
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • Untidy Towns
  • If I Tell You
  • A Song Only I Can Hear
  • Threader
I'm a Perth-based writer who writes realistic fiction for teenagers (14+) but adults enjoy them too. I'm also an English teacher, poet, writer of non-fiction texts, presenter and reader.
“Within me, the truth unfurled, opening as a flower. I breathed as if for the first time.” 0 likes
“If only I could fall asleep while someone took apart my world, cleaned it up and put it back together in a neater version than before.” 0 likes