Start by marking “Red Clay, Yellow Grass: A Novel of the 1960s” as Want to Read:
Red Clay, Yellow Grass: A Novel of the 1960s

Red Clay, Yellow Grass: A Novel of the 1960s

A battleground and a rock festival... love and war in the age of aquarius.
~~~
"...Barager's dynamic, passionate, often moving exploration of the turbulent and politically divided 1960s... is striking. The cast of complicated characters adds arresting human dimensions." ~ Booklist
~~~
David Noble is an orphan with a fondness for the novels of Walter Scott; Jackie Lundquist is
ebook
Published June 4th 2018 by Evolved Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Red Clay, Yellow Grass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Clay, Yellow Grass

Literary Soirée
Richard Barager gives us a mesmerizing tour of the Sixties from the red clay of Khe Sanh to the yellow grass of Altamont. Told as a poignant story of a young couple joined by passion but torn by differing ideals. Especially recommended for readers who enjoy well-written, well-plotted historical fiction ... with the electric wattage of the Age of Aquarius.

The author, a nephrologist, describes himself as a physician by day and a writer at night: “I am a champion of the healing power of literature
Megan
I found this book so boring. I just couldn't connect with the characters and the style of writing didn't help me either. The were a lot of words used that weren't familiar, so I was very glad to be reading this book on my Kindle so I could easily see the description...but that didn't always help, since some of them weren't even in the Kindle's dictionary. This isn't a book I'd recommend.
Janet Graham
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Profound Look at the Extremes of the 1960's
Partially, this book is a history of the 1960's as experienced by a young Marine at Khe Sahn ad his return home to Minneapolis and a young socialite turned hippie protesting the war through her involvement with the SDS. Partially, the book is an examination of the Sociology of the 1960's; Black Power, Feminism, Anti-war, Anti-Draft, Flower Power, Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. I have 2 major complaints with this book. First, the author loves rare words.
Autumn
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an advance copy from Edelweiss.

The version I received had some formatting issues around the start of chapters. Distracting, but hopefully that will be fixed before the book is released for purchase.

The story was okay, hence the two stars. At its core, it is a love triangle epic decorated with the flavor of the 1960s.

The ending felt rushed and all of a sudden a new character is brought in to wrap things up- I do not want to give it away, but the heavy foreshadowing of the arrival of,
Felicia Allen
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the concept of this novel, however, I had a really hard time reading it. When I read, I like to become the main character. I want to know what the characters felt, the struggles they went through, the pain they felt. To me, this was a very cut and dry narrative. It lacked some of the supporting details that I loved. An example is: "They walked through the grass" compared to "They struggled through the underbrush that pulled feet and twisted around their ankles". There are parts ...more
Linda
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy the era of this kind of book. This one is well written and the characters are likable. While it was not a favorite it was extremely good in my opinion. I enjoyed the way the story played out and the characters fit the time period.
Thank you to NetGalley and Evolved Publishing for giving me a copy of this book to read. It was a very enjoyable book. Some parts are hard to read but overall it’s great.
Shala
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I love historical fiction and normally read WWII historical fiction, but I wanted expand my reading. With that being said, the '60s is not the decade for me. I really wanted to like this book and being born in the 1970s, I thought maybe I could relate; however, I was wrong. I did like the ending, and I wanted to like the characters but the drugs and sex of that time was just too much for me.
Destiny Brown
May 02, 2018
Colle
Aug 05, 2018
Peggo
rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2018
Bacpacr2
Jan 26, 2019
Beth
Jul 27, 2019
RABT Book Tours: Red Clay, Yellow Grass by: Richard Barager 1 2 Jun 04, 2018 07:33AM
Richard R. Barager, MD, FACP, is a nephrologist and novelist. He believes the two finest callings in life are doctor and writer, the one ministering to the human condition, the other illuminating it, both capable of transforming it. But fiction explores meaning in a way science cannot. Sometimes only fiction tells the truth.