Start by marking “Black Like Us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction” as Want to Read:
Black Like Us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction

Black Like Us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction

Black Like Us chronicles 100 years of the African American lesbian, gay, and bisexual literary tradition. Beginning with the turn-of-the-century writings of Angelina Welde Grimke and Alice Dunbar Nelson, it charts the evolution of black lesbian and gay fiction into the Harlem Renaissance of Langston Hughes and Countee Cullen and the later postwar era, in which works by Aud ...more
Published May 28th 2002 by Cleis Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Like Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Like Us

Fara Marthone
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great anthology to own and read. it covers a wide variety of African American LGBTQ genres, from erotica to science fiction. The writer presents overviews of different eras and the prominent writers of that era. This book helps to answer any question about the contribution of queer literature in the main literary world. To have African American and LGBTQ within the same bracket is a bold move, but the reality is there are and there has been a group of African American, even Caribbean American ...more
Danni Green
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible, full of excellent stories from a century of brilliant writers. I appreciated the introductory backstories about each of the writers, which inspired me to look up many of them and seek out other things they've written. I loved the diversity of stories that were included, covering a wide range of genres, styles, and emotional impacts. I would highly recommend this book.

As it is a significantly lengthy anthology, I enjoyed working my way through it over the course of about
Antares davinci
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
ONE OF MY UTMOST FAVORITE BOOKS!
Just A. Bean
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
As with most anthologies, it's a mixed bag. The historical essays were great for setting up the context, but then the inclusion of stories written before 1950 was very slim, and not much more before 1980 either. I also wish there had been more short stories and fewer novel excerpts (especially ones depicting graphic rape and on-page gay bashing leading to death). However, I also found a lot of great new-to-me authors, and revisited some old favourites.
Nathan
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite simply, this is an anthology everyone should have in their collection.

Powerfully gripping and moving, it is powerful to read these pieces and be taken on a journey of discovery of a "parallel" America to one that I grew up learning about. Inspiring would be an understatement.
Chanel Chéri
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much in this, definitely something to read twice.
Angelika
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 55555
A brilliant anthology.
Angélique (Angel)
This is the book I wish someone had handed me when I first came out. It is one of the most validating books I've read as a Black bisexual writer, due both to the eclectic mix of Black writers and narratives and the section introductions that took into consideration Black, feminist, and LGBTQ+ political and literary movements individually and interactionally. I'd highly recommend this book be used in English classes in both secondary and post-secondary schools because of the power it has to affir ...more
Christina Cathcart
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How different my life might have been if I had known of these amazing authors earlier. Absolute classics.

As someone embracing the fluidity of their sexuality later in life, it is a comfort to read the stories of others with the same lived experiences. Knowing what previous generations had to overcome definitely puts your worries in perspective.
Michelé
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
The work done to contextualize and introduce the collected work is phenomenal. This is an amazing resource for students of Black lgbt/quare/queer subjects who seek to get a grasp on intuitional and cultural formations related to Black quare subjectivity and (artistic) production. You may already know the primary work but the commentary within this text is impactful.
Korri
Sep 12, 2011 marked it as to-read
The contextualizing essays at the beginning of each section were informative and interesting. The quality of the stories varied--it was nice to have excerpts from canonical works alongside lesser known authors. But I'm finding it slow going and am returning it to the library for a while. 6 June - 5 August 2012
Shy
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book, many of the stories really good, some were sad and others were just okay. It's a must read.
Alex
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
This is like an anthology of lgbt related stories by some noted Authors of color. It's been a while since I read it, but from what I remember, it was GREAT.
Aaron Gibson
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: academia
strange excerpts that really only give a skewed glimpse of the whole stories. I see why they packaged it, but I don't like how it was done.
Leslie
Aug 19, 2007 marked it as to-read
Have read some of this. Excellent. Need to finish.
Monique Thomas
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every voice that I admire is featured throughout the pages. Loved it!
Z.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Does Your Mama Know?: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories
  • Afrekete: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Writing
  • Beyond the Down Low: Sex, Lies, and Denial in Black America
  • Go the Way Your Blood Beats: An Anthology of Lesbian and Gay Literary Fiction by African-American Writers
  • Loving Her
  • Walk Like A Man
  • Ceremonies: Prose and Poetry
  • M+O 4EVR
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2016: People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue (Lightspeed Magazine, Issue #73)
  • Queering the Color Line: Race and the Invention of Homosexuality in American Culture
  • B-Boy Blues: A Seriously Sexy, Fiercely Funny, Black-on-Black Love Story
  • Black Queer Studies: A Critical Anthology
  • We See a Different Frontier: A Postcolonial Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Aye, and Gomorrah: And Other Stories
  • Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars
  • Time on Two Crosses: The Collected Writings of Bayard Rustin
  • Two Moons: Stories
  • Consensual Genocide
Devon Carbado is the Honorable Harry Pregerson Professor of Law at UCLA School of Law. He teaches Constitutional Criminal Procedure, Constitutional Law, Critical Race Theory, and Criminal Adjudication. He has won numerous teaching awards, including being elected Professor of the Year by the UCLA School of Law classes of 2000 and 2006 and received the Law School's Rutter Award for Excellence in Tea ...more