Start by marking “The Unblessed Dead (The Hidden Necromancer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unblessed Dead (The Hidden Necromancer, #1)

The Unblessed Dead

(The Hidden Necromancer #1)

When I younger, my mother saved my settlement from the Unblessed Dead that would have killed us all. It cost her everything to reveal her necromancy and sent shockwaves through our stringent religious settlement. Convicted of heresy against our sacred Lost Texts, she died soon after.
Since then, I have worked hard to maintain my Pious Standing so that when I turn eighteen
Published April 10th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Unblessed Dead, please sign up.
Rhiannon Frater There are 2 so far, but there will be more. The next one will be The Cursed Dead.

Dianne
In a dystopian world, where religion has been bastardized, men dominate unfettered and women are property, forced to live by oppressive rules, Ilyse Nott struggles with remaining “plain and pious” in a world who has judged her for supposed the sins of her mother. She must live with the knowledge that her mother a secret necromancer, saved her village from certain zombie death only to be tried, convicted and put to death for her efforts for heresy.

Ilyse is guilty by association and possible hered
☕️Kimberly
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The world was overrun by zombies, and vast areas of the continent remain infested. Walled settlements have developed, some modernized and all connected by railway.  Some groups seeking solace made drastic changes to avoid past mistakes. Frater takes us into a religious settlement with an Anabaptist feel. They follow the Lost Texts. These texts have a familiar vibe; men rule and handle business while women marry and must be modest etc. They also believe necromancers caused the zombie outbreak and ...more
Christy LoveOfBooks
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2018
Rhiannon has built an intriguing world! It's terrifying to think about living the way Ilyse, and women in general, do. I don't mean because of the zombies. Really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one. There's a prequel that you can get for free that I suggest, too.
Alexia Purdy
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: zombie and post-apocalyptic book lovers
A haunting tale of a life gone wrong when everything Ilyse has grown up to believe is ultimately and fatally flawed. Beautifully written, The Unblessed Dead takes us on Ilyse's journey who has fought for the life she believed she wanted only to have it derailed when she discovers she might possibly be behind the cause of what's unsettling the living dead surrounding her settlement. Ilyse's mother was a necromancer, maybe she could be too. If this is true, her entire world has just been uprooted ...more
Shelley
*Source* Author
*Genre* Science Fiction / Dystopia
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

The Unblessed Dead is the first installment in Rhiannon Frater's The Unblessed Dead series. 17-year old Ilyse Nott is the protagonist of a series that is a cross between The Walking Dead and The Handmaid's Tale. It is a series that is set way off into the distant future. So far into the future, that they are now calling the time frame Anno Apocalypse. In this world, the dead have risen, America has fallen, & women can c
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
It’s the zombie apocalypse and zombies have been roaming the earth for many, many years or they do in Ilyse’s world. In Ilyse’s world they call the zombies The Unblessed Dead or The Blessed Dead. Ilyse lives inside a walled city that keeps the zombies out but they do wonder inside the walls sometimes but not to worry everyone has a safe place to go where the dead can’t get them. They stay in their safe place until the zombies are taken care of and they are given the all clear.

A few years ago the
Karen
This book is amazing and every spare moment I had was spent reading this story.The author is incredibly talented at creating a unique world with well developed characters.The book has a beautiful flow and the world building is fantastic.I found myself engrossed in the story from the first paragraph and have preordered book two.I'm currently experiencing a book hangover and am anxiously awaiting book two's release in May.
Shannie
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-obsession
Omg! Loved it! It reminds me of The Handmaids Tale with a dash of zombies lol I’ve missed your books Rhiannon!
Michelle
I've been in a bit of a reading slump these past few months. I've been reading, but nothing has really tickled my fancy, nor made me want to jump up and yell to everyone, "You need to read this like now." So I pick up the latest from Rhiannon Frater because well...she NEVER disappoints. The very first sentence grabbed me and I was hooked. How could you not be intrigued when the very first sentence of the book starts out with, "I awoke to discover a dead man standing in my garden."

Once again, Rhi
Sara
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read an advance beta copy of this book and will be downloading the finished novel .It is the first in a new trilogy set in an undead world but very different to her ‘As the world dies’ trilogy , the enclave featured blames technology for the rise of the undead and spurns all forms in their little world forming an entirely different existence . I went into the story blind not knowing anything about it so found myself eagerly turning pages trying to learn more and more about these people . The ...more
Impy
I read the advance review copy and, being a Frater fan, I was expecting a great read and was still surprised at how much I loved this book.

The world Frater has built for The Hidden Necromancer series is so original. It's different and dark and unsettling, but also contains a certain beautiful familiarity. It embraces a simpler life, putting me in mind of the Amish or the Simple Folk from Anne Bishop's The Others series. But while the simple life would appear to be separate from the undead and wi
Ozsaur
Endings, what are they? Authors, please give me a solid ending. I don't care if the book is part of a series, just tie up as many loose ends as possible.

This one doesn't exactly end on a cliffhanger, but it certainly doesn't resolve the main plot lines.

Any book that brings tears to my eyes usually gets four stars, but the vague ending brought this down to three. There were some vivid scenes that really grabbed me, and a heartbreaking moment that made me tear up.

It's not a bad book. I liked the
M. Ro
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book reminded of the compound scenes from Big Love which grounded the story, all those religious fanatics and the chains they place on women made it more "real". Rhiannon Frater has a way with zombies and the way this book presents them makes them fresh, I loved Ilyse and her siblings, Quade is quite likeable, there are a lot of good characters besides them which surprised me given the type of society the story depicts.
I have a theory on who the mysterious necromancer may be...
Mike Lewis
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story

A unique dystopian twist on the zombie apocalypse. Very interesting cast of characters in a very futuristic antiquated world. Mini years after the world has fallen The dead still rise and cause havoc in May him. Worth the read check it out
BookLoversLife
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
Review to come.
Kelly
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing start to a young woman's journey in a zombie filled world.

Read my full take here: The Unblessed Dead
Toni
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
It’s been a while since I was fortunate enough to read something from the brilliant mind of Rhiannon Frater and I’m not ashamed to admit that I missed it. Every time I crack open one of her books I’m amazed that a mere mortal can craft such intricate stories.

The Unblessed Dead is a riveting tale that will sweep any reader up and transport them to a different time, a different world, a different way of life…and death. The world building is magnificent and the story pacing is spot on. If you love
Holly Ann
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! It has everything you could want. Scares, excitement, a little bit of romance, mystery, and thrills!

I had so much fun guessing what was around each corner, and being fooled time and again by Rhiannon's clever storytelling. I normally am not a fan of much kissy-kissy in my stories, but the way Rhiannon puts her couple together and the obstacles they face, it's both ridiculously sweet and exciting. Will they? Won't they?

The backdrop for this unique and engaging story
kathy mucherino
rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2018
Christian
Jun 20, 2018
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

S

The Hidden Necromancer (2 books)
  • The Accused Dead (The Hidden Necromancer #2)
“It’s difficult to pretend everything is fine when you’re terrified.” 0 likes
“Faith that brings comfort in terrible times is to be treasured. But when faith is used to subjugate and hurt its followers, it must be questioned.” 0 likes