Start by marking “My Crunchy Life” as Want to Read:
My Crunchy Life

My Crunchy Life

John Lennon fought for world peace, but sixteen-year-old hippie hopeful Kale Oswald's only made it as far as tie-dying his T-shirts with organic grape juice. Now he’s ready to cement his new hippie identity by joining a local human rights organization, but he doesn’t fit in as well as he’d hoped.

After landing herself in the hospital by washing down a Ziploc bag of pills wi
Published June 26th 2018 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about My Crunchy Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Crunchy Life

Viga Boland
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book comes along that is so outstanding words fail a reviewer. My Crunchy Life by Mia Kerick is one of those books. A quick glance at the cover might lead you to think this is just a fun book for teens. But you’d be wrong. While My Crunchy Life is indeed aimed at young adults, and much of the time is delivered with humor, its focus is very serious and addresses a key contemporary, actually timeless social issue: gender identity.

At the center of this delightful and beautiful story ar
Roberta Blablanski
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-school, trans
***Copy provided by Embrace the Rainbow in exchange for an honest and impartial review.***

(Note: This review is going to refer to the trans character by both names (Julian/Julia) and both pronouns (he/her) as is done in the book.)

My Crunchy Life is told from the unique perspectives of two high school students: one transgender (Julian/Julia) and one wannabe hippie (Kale).

"But I know I'm a girl, even if my body tells the world a different story."

Julian/Julia has to be one of my favorite characters
Lelyana
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc, mm
Reading this book was a new experience for me. I rarely read this subgenre. It was fun and entertaining, I enjoyed the 'realness' in this story. As a parent, this is a shout out for parents out there to read this. This book will make you understand sthe struggle.
Recommended!
Sarika Patkotwar
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was initially published on The Readdicts Book Blog. For more reviews, go here .

After reading It Could Happen and The Weekend Bucket List, I was really looking forward to reading author Mia Kerick's My Crunchy Life as I loved the author's previous works, and was looking forward to seeing what she had in store for readers this time. When I read the summary of My Crunchy Life, I knew it would be an interesting and pleasant read, and that's exactly how it turned out to be.

Julian and Ka
Lucy
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This young adult book focuses on Kalin, who goes by Kale, a 16-year-old searching for himself in that angsty adolescent time known as high school. He’s facing a mother who was downsized from her job and has no pretty much abdicated from her adult responsibilities, a dad who is trying really hard, and a brosin, Hughie, (“…by my definition, a person who is midpoint between an irritating brother and an annoying cousin…”) who is sharing (invading) his room. Kale is now a hippie, with dreadlocks that ...more
Tynea Lewis
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kale and Julian are high schoolers. Sixteen-year-old high schoolers. Trying-to-deal-with-life high schoolers. Finding-out-who-they-really-are high schoolers.

Julian has already decided that he's always wanted to be a girl, that growing chest hair was not on the list of to-dos. He's already tried to take his life once because of the stress of bullies, but now he's ready to go through the transition that will make the dream come true.

Kale, on the other hand, is a wishy washy mess. Is he a prep? Got
LitPick Student Book Reviews
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Despite going to the same school, Kale Oswald and Julian Mendez have no idea the other exists.

Self-proclaimed hippie Kale Oswald hopes that by joining a human rights organization, he will finally feel like he belongs. Instead, he must face the confusion of his own sexuality. In between tie-dying his T-shirts with organic dye and dealing with his “annoying” cousin Hughie, Kale tries to understand his feelings for Julian.

Though Julian Mendez puts up a tough front, just like Kale, he wants to belon
Kathryn Manzella
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Julian is a girl, even if her body is that of a boy. Puberty brought on a lot of issues, and she couldn't take it, deciding to end her life - but she was found in time. Now, she is manuvering her world, dealing with bullying, taking the meds needed to stop puberty and , with help from her momma and a few friends, waiting to transition into Julia.

Kalin, or as he has decided to be called Kale, is a crunchy hippie who meets Julian at a human rights activist club. But then, they seem to run into ea
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
My Crunchy Life is the third book I've read by Mia Kerick, and she's quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite authors. She does an amazing job with creating authentic characters you can root for.

The story centers around Kale and Julian and is told in first-person, alternating between the two. Kale is trying out different identities while figuring out who he is and what he should do. He's gone through a few phases -- preppy, goth, and now hippie. It took me a while to realize he desperately
Andrea
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and I want to make it required reading for just about everyone. I have never before read characters who seemed so real. I have known people in the LGBTQ community for over 20 years and can only imagine what goes on in their minds. We have had numerous conversations, but nothing provided as much insight as reading what these characters expressed. I laughed and cried right along with them.

I'm so glad we are in an age where people are talking about being transgender and have beco
Teresa
ISBN: 9781640803923
Buy Link: https://www.harmonyinkpress.com/books...
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
John Lennon fought for world peace, but sixteen-year-old hippie hopeful Kale Oswald’s only made it as far as tie-dying his T-shirts with organic grape juice. Now he’s ready to cement his new hippie identity by joining a local human rights organization, but he doesn’t fit in as well as he’d hoped.

After landing himself in the h
Bobbie Stanley
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely read the blurb about this book before you decide it's one you want to jump into.  Most likely, that's something you already do because that's what blurbs are there for, but in this case it warrants a reminder just because there are some difficult and sensitive subjects in this story.  That said, I absolutely love this book!  I devoured it in one sitting, captivated by the characters even when I didn't necessarily like them.  In fact, if I'm honest, I spent a good portion of the book n ...more
Rosie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Julian Mendez and Kale Oswald both attend Crestdale High School which has a strict No Bullying policy. Regardless, a teenage transgender who had survived a suicide attempt crosses paths with a student who feels born into the wrong body. Both are bullying victims of Sydney Harper – a student who has her eye on the prize of school valedictorian, and who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. Sydney’s methods of obtaining the title are both sinister and cruel but help forge an unlikely friends ...more
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, ya
4 Stars!

I don't read all that many YA books, it's just not my cup of tea, however, I enjoy Mia Kerick's writing. Was it my favorite of her books? No, but it was still a good read.

Julian tried to commit suicide and in result gets the attention he needs to make his mother listen that he's a girl trapped in the wrong body. Now, armed with puberty blockers and going to therapy to help him work through his issues while he decides if he should take the next step, he joins a human rights organization,
Emily (Infinite Lives, Infinite Stories)
I loved the contrast between Kale and Julian, not only in their personalities but also with their families. The familiar bond is the strongest part of this story. I really adored Julian’s mother. Julian’s mother supported Julian every step of the way. Though they are characters, I do strongly believe in a strong support system. Each character was unique in their own way and developed enough to what to continue reading.

Throughout the book, both Kale and Julian face obstacles and challenges that
Zane Kage
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-75
Annie ~ From Top to Bottom Reviews
Aug 20, 2018 marked it as no-no-hell-no-never
The blurb itself is a big red flag already since it deadnames and misgenders the female MC but I'm especially not gonna read books that use slurs like "shemale" to describe a trans character.

Hard pass on this book.

And HARD PASS on this author.
Laura ~Passion flower
Aug 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: transgender
My Crunchy Life was graciously provided to me by Embrace the Rainbow for an honest review. Review to follow.
Amy Dufera
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am glad to have discovered My Crunchy Life by Mia Kerick. It is a well written young adult story that hits on several tough topics.

In the beginning, Kale is in the middle of a tough time, trying to discover his true self, exploring a
hippie, aka “crunchy” personality. He has dreadlocks, is only doing green things and has a desire to find a good cause, in alignment with the hippie way.

On the outside, Julien is a brilliant teen boy, who doesn’t fit in at school and is frequently the target of b
Melissa
Aug 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-thanks
It is the 21st century and this author puts "she-male" in their book. Hell no. Found out according to this tweet: https://twitter.com/taysalion/status/...
Wendy F
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I’m really glad Mia Kerick contacted me and asked if I’d like to review My Crunchy Life. I’m not quite sure why I didn’t request it when Harmony Ink’s review request email went around. The synopsis sounded really good, particularly the idea that Kale is attracted to Julian immediately, causing him to question his sexuality, not knowing Julian is actually a trans girl. He was thrown for a loop again after finding out, and all this made his journey to figuring out who he is more confusing.

I can’t
Kaila
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
this was a really good story.. for me personally at times i did get confused.. it wasn't anything the author did.. i just have a hard time with different things... the storyline was amazing.. the characters were interesting and kept me wondering. i really liked this story and cant wait to read more by this author.
Katie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: omg-nooooooo
Saw what is used in this book and thanks but no thanks.
Kristin
Anormaly
Jun 11, 2018
Debbier
Aug 23, 2018

Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—one in law school, another at a dance conservatory, a third studying at Mia’s alma mater, Boston College, and her lone son still in high school. She has published more than twenty books of LGBTQ romance when not editing National Honor Society essays, offering opinions on college and law school applications, helping to create dance bios, and rev