Start by marking “Solace Island (Solace Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Solace Island (Solace Island, #1)

Solace Island

(Solace Island #1)

A contemporary novel with a strong suspense element from Oscar-nominated actress Meg Tilly set on a peaceful island village in the Pacific Northwest.

Dumped on the eve of her wedding and looking for a quiet place to lick her emotional wounds, Maggie Harris joins her sister on Solace Island, where she hopes to recover from the stunning betrayal. At first, Maggie resists Eve'
Published November 6th 2018 by Berkley (first published April 13th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Solace Island, please sign up.
Sara Flynn Yes. If all goes well. Its been a bit experimenting to find the right guy for Eve. I've had two misfires, where I got well into the manuscript and rea…moreYes. If all goes well. Its been a bit experimenting to find the right guy for Eve. I've had two misfires, where I got well into the manuscript and realized they weren't right for each other. But think this third guy might be the charm.(less)
Sarah It has just a few scenes (2-3?) that describe sexual activities between the characters. There was a lot more narration about the characters thinking o…moreIt has just a few scenes (2-3?) that describe sexual activities between the characters. There was a lot more narration about the characters thinking of each other in sexually suggestive terms. Definitely not a "PG" rating.(less)

Start your review of Solace Island (Solace Island, #1)
Berit☀️✨
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, book-besties
A sizzling, steamy, suspenseful romance that will make you smile,swoon, and sweat!🔥🔥🔥

Solace:is a feeling of comfort that makes you feel less sad.

Solace Island is the perfect place to find comfort and the stremgth to begin again... The perfect name for the beautiful setting of this book about second chances and new beginnings.... this was a well-done romantic suspense that leans more towards romance than suspense.... I read both genres and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I think it will appeal more to
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming, steamy, and gripping—this contemporary romantic suspense novel checked all of the boxes for a perfect weekend read!! This novel really has it all, from the loveable characters to the fantastic scenery to the mystery—I think fans of the contemporary romance genre will be thrilled with this book!

Taking a weekend getaway to Solace Island with Eve and Maggie was such a fun excursion. I’m a big fan of the Pacific Northwest, I went to college in Oregon. So I could envision this small charmi
Patricia
I found SOLACE ISLAND to be a very comfortable read, a light, quick read with an ending which I did not see coming. Maggie and her sister, Eve, go to Solace Island for a three week break after Maggie is dumped on the eve of her wedding. They begin to consider this as a possible permanent move. Meanwhile, Maggie has met Luke, a sexy and gorgeous baker. Suspicious things begin to occur. This is the perfect read for anyone wanting a quick romantic suspense.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Woo my! Solace Island represents me stretching my reading chops. I really mean S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g. But before I get started, I’ll let you know I enjoyed it!

Billed as romantic suspense, Solace Island is heavy on the romance side for about the first half, and by romance, I mean the racy kind. This is steamy! About halfway through, the suspense hits, and it’s off to the races through the ending.

Maggie is dumped at the altar and to find peace, she heads to her sister Eve’s house on Solace Island i
Diana • Book of Secrets
Oct 14, 2018 marked it as sorry-not-for-me
I was hoping for a strong suspense element, and at 30% there still isn't one, so I'm calling it quits. While I greatly enjoyed the setting, and the idea of starting over on a small island in the Pacific Northwest, I just couldn't get into this book. Maggie's character acted so silly in the beginning, but I suppose some personalities are like that. Shelving this one for now. Digital ARC provided through Penguin's First to Read Program.
Beatrice Masaluñga
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, adult
Thank you Penguin Random House International and Berkley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

DNF @ 34%

Solace Island is the first book in a romantic suspense series about Maggie Harris whose fiance breaks up with her the day before their wedding. Apparently he's been cheating on her and Maggie is oblivious by it. Heartbroken and sulking, her older sister Eve brought her to Solace Island for a vacation. Then Even falls in love with the island and decides to stay for good and star
Elaine
Dec 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I won a copy of Solace Island from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I loved Ms. Tilly's performance in Agnes of God so after reading this, I can safely say she should not quit her day job.

Solace Island was godawful.

* Minor spoilers ahead *

Where to begin?

1. The barely there mystery that is wrapped up in the last 2 pages; it's really a romance filled with sex and horny horndog daydreams of what the main characters would like to do to each other

2. The stock characters; the hunky security man with the
Meagan
I'm going to open this review with the caveat that I don't have the greatest history with romantic suspense. Nor does my book club, which has been searching in vain, for over a year, for a romantic suspense option that we can enjoy. I've read award winners, I've gotten suggestions from smart people, and it just never seems to work out for me. So is it possible this is a virulent case of Not For Me Syndrome? Absolutely.

However. I've heard nothing but praise for this book, and I found a few things
Kati
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** I received this book through the Penguin First To Read Program in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much to Berkley for the opportunity to read and review Solace Island! ***

I know this book was not for every reader and that is totally ok but I really did love and enjoy this great book a lot. Plus this is the first book that I have read by Meg Tilly and it most certainly won't be my last book that I will read by Meg Tilly. I thought she did a fantastic job in writing Solace Island,
 Reading In Pajamas
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review: SOLACE ISLAND by Meg Tilly https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-aWr
Publication Date: November 6, 2018
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated: 4.5 Stars

I truly enjoyed this book. It was a lovely blend of a contemporary romance and romantic suspense, set in a place I want to now live. Maggie and her sister are a hoot and their relationship pulled me in immediately. Granted I was a little disappointed with Maggie’s oblivious attitude when her troubles began, some of her actions
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

A little cheesy in spots but I liked it.
Paul Olkowski
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I won the Goodreads contest for this book by Meg Tilly. It was listed as a mystery. It really isn't. It is a romance novel ,nothing more. It zips along very fast ,but Tilly's style bothers me . She is obsessed with organic food, adjectives and sex.
The plot is as shallow as a wading pool. The only chapter that holds any interest at all is 2 chapters from the end where all the action takes place. If Tilly had spent more time detailing the so called mystery, insted of what the main character had f
Monnie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Billed as a "contemporary novel with a strong suspense element," I must first and foremost warn those who, like me, aren't into "bodice-rippers" that this book is littered with the stuff. "He was envious of the strands of [her] hair for their right to caress her face at will," is a mild example; most of the rest is far, far more graphic. The suspense part didn't rear its much-anticipated head until the 50% mark (and boy, was I ever happy to see it).

Suffice it to say, then, that had I not receive
CD {Boulder Blvd}
1.5 stars rounded up.

I had to do some major skimming to make it through this. The potential was there but it came off as the cliche characters in an insta lust romance with a pretend backdrop of suspense. The description states strong suspense element but I disagree.

I did however like the cover of the book.
Chris Conley
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really solid romance with a good bit of suspense thrown in for good measure. Perhaps a bit more sex than I usually like but it sure fit in the story perfectly.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Reviewer’s note: I attended The Romantic Times convention for all of about 48 hours this year and while there found out that actress Meg Tilley was releasing her first romance novel under the name Sara Flynn. I intended to stop by her table at the book fair and by one, but alas time constraints kept me from doing so, but I was lucky enough to meet and chat with her, so the minute I got home I ran to Amazon and purchased an e-copy of Solace Island. This is her first romance novel although she tol
Amanda Aeschliman
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was almost comically bad 😬😂 and yet, I find myself still considering reading the sequel when it comes out lol
SuperWendy
I'm throwing in the towel at 35%. This book is not well written. At all. The language is ponderous, with the author tossing in flowery $10 words when a $1 word would have better served the story. Plus there are weird, abrupt transitions between the chapters. Scenes cut short (as in don't really end) and suddenly it's the next chapter and change of scene.

This is marketed as romantic suspense but as of 35% there's no suspense to speak of. The meet-cute is more like a meet-stupid, with the heroine'
JoAn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
Solace Island by Sara Flynn/Meg Tilly was more romance than mystery at the beginning of the book but at about the half-way point the plot took a turn toward suspense and never looked back. Once the action started I couldn't put the book down. I liked the characters and their development as the story progressed. I was only partially right about who was behind the murder attempts and the reveal had me on the edge of my seat. I've already put a hold on the next book in this series at my library.
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

A spurned woman goes away with her sister to heal, finds a new life and that her past coming is back to haunt her. It's an okay story. The turmoil at the end was a little confusing and nuts really. Not my favorite.
Estibaliz79
Feb 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaways
*I won an ARC of this book on one of the wonderful Goodreads Giveaways, and as a courtesy from Berkley Publishing Group. Here is my honest review in exchange...*

When I finished this book, I could have cried. Out of happiness, because the torture was over. Out of sadness, because it is incredibly unfortunate that any tree has to die just so this "novel" could be published on paper... it should have stayed in the kingdom of the immaterial things that is the internet, since its quality is that of t
Heather LitChick4ever
I read this book in less than a day. I started this morning and I finished this evening. This book was a contemporary romance with an element of suspense that kept me reading and I couldn't put this book down. I loved the chemistry between Luke and Maggie and I enjoyed the bond between sisters. I am already so excited to read Cliff's Edge (book 2) and all I know about Book 3 is a title, Hidden Cove, and an expected publication date of October 1, 2019, but I am already anticipating reading the ne ...more
Taylor
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
Maggie Harris' fiancé breaks up with her on the eve of their wedding. Her sister takes a heartbroken Maggie for a stay on Solace Island, a small island in the Pacific Northwest. Solace Island is a funky retreat with a lot of artisan and hipster types. And a really hot baker, Luke Benson, with a mysterious past. What follows is the inevitable romance and some surprising action and adventure.

Now I usually avoid romances like the plague. Totally not my thing. But I was intrigued when I learned tha
Lynn
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Maggie Harris thought her life was all set until an odious boyfriend dumped her the eve of their wedding. Since her fiancé was also a business partner, much of Maggie’s life crumbles. She joins her sister, Eve, on Solace Island in the Pacific Northwest where they both decide now is the time for a big change. Eve has a job has that is killing her soul while Maggie needs to start her life over.

The sisters' near neighbor, Luke, who is a local bread baker, has been recovering from his own life uphe
Gary
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
For Maggie Harris, life was falling apart. Her fiancé called her on her wedding day to share the news that he was not going to marry her after all; he was too busy hooking up with someone else. To make matters worse, her fiancé was also her business partner and the breakup of their relationship necessitated the breakup of the business. Since she was a 60% owner in the company she announced that Brett could either buy her out or she was going to sell to a competitor. Her sister Eve came to the re ...more
JoAnne
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read my review on RomanceJunkies.com by clicking on the link below:

Rated 3.5 but rounded to 4 on Goodreads.
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
"The car door burst open, and a woman tumbled out. Recognition flashed through him. It was the woman who had been weeping on the ferry."......

Maggie is off to “Solace Island.” An escape attempt from the worst thing that has ever happened to her. Her sister, Eve, goes to be with her. Seeking peace and quiet, it soon turns to anything but.

I instantly loved “Solace Island.” It’s the kind of place I hope exists somewhere. Is Maggie going to find what she’s looking for? Part romance, and part suspens
Andra Weis
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Solace Island is the first book in a new series (of the same name) by Meg Tilly. I have had Ms. Tilly’s book Behind the Scenes on my TBR (to be read) pile of books for a very long time but when the opportunity to read this new series, beginning with Solace Island, I knew it was time to delve into the writing of Meg Tilly.

The story begins with Maggie being dumped just before her wedding. To get away from it all, Maggie he
Mara
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars - I really liked how sex positive and focused on agency/consent this contemporary is. I liked the characters & world, and found the plot kind of pleasantly mindless. Alas, this doesn't fully work as either a straight forward small town contemporary or as a suspense. It's kind of fifty-fifty, which keeps it from being entirely successful. That said, I'll happily continue in the series because it has a nice lightness of touch that I enjoy in a palette cleansing kind of book ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • Gemma
  • Hideaway
  • Close Up (Burning Cove #4)
  • Her Deadly Secrets (Wolfe Security, #2)
  • After Sundown
  • Hidden (The Texas Murder Files #1)
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers #1)
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
  • Buck Me... For Christmas (Shifter Grove Brides #6.5) (Frost Brothers' Brides, #1)
  • Unbreak Me
  • Don't Breathe a Word (Texas Justice #2)
  • Breathe the Sky
  • Once in a Blue Moon (Blessings, Georgia, #10)
  • Big Chance Cowboy (Big Chance Dog Rescue, #1)
  • The Secret She Keeps (Whitaker Island, #2)
  • The Summer Deal (Wildstone, #5)
  • The Deception (Maximum Security #2)
She may be best known for her acclaimed Golden Globe-winning lead performance in the movie Agnes of God. Other screen credits include, The Big Chill, Valmont, and more recently, Bomb Girls, and Netflix’s movie War Machine, starring Brad Pitt. However, Meg Tilly is taking on an exciting new persona these days, as debut romance novelist Sara Flynn.

After successfully publishing six standout young adu

Solace Island (3 books)
  • Cliff's Edge (Solace Island #2)
  • Hidden Cove (Solace Island #3)

Articles featuring this book

Want to dip your toes into the romance genre but don't know where to start? We've got you covered! And who better to match you with the perfect...