Start by marking “The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)

The Fall of Gondolin

(Middle-earth Universe)

In the Tale of The Fall of Gondolin are two of the greatest powers in the world. There is Morgoth of the uttermost evil, unseen in this story but ruling over a vast military power from his fortress of Angband. Deeply opposed to Morgoth is Ulmo, second in might only to Manwë, chief of the Valar: he is called the Lord of Waters, of all seas, lakes, and rivers under the sky. ...more
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 304 pages
Published August 30th 2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Gondolin, please sign up.
Namrata Yes, and he died leaving a lot of extensive notes and unfinished manuscripts, which his son Christopher has been editing and publishing. The Silmarill…moreYes, and he died leaving a lot of extensive notes and unfinished manuscripts, which his son Christopher has been editing and publishing. The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-Earth, The Children of Hurin etc. were all published after JRR Tolkien's death, by Christopher.
Amber Martingale Yes, but only two because the stories are interconnected. They are "The Children of Húrin" and "Beren and Lúthien." The stories are interconnected bec…moreYes, but only two because the stories are interconnected. They are "The Children of Húrin" and "Beren and Lúthien." The stories are interconnected because the three families are genetically interconnected not just in the Elder Days but also in the events of "The Lord of the Rings."

The hero of "The Fall of Gondolin" is nephew to Húrin, but his son by Idril, Eärendil, marries Elwing. Elwing is the granddaughter of Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel .

All of these are ancestors of Elrond of Rivendell, his three children (Arwen Evenstar, Elladan and Elrohir who are identical twins) and even Aragorn of Gondor.(less)

Start your review of The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)
Sean Barrs
I was delighted when I heard about the release of this book because in Beren and Lúthien Christopher Tolkien erroneously stated that it was going to be the last restoration of his father’s work he undertook. He changed his mind. And I thank him for it because this is a glorious tale, showcasing much of Tolkien’s brilliance.

Firstly though, many readers will have a pertinent question on their mind: is The Fall of Gondolin worth buying for those who have read The Silmarillion? It most definitel
Petrik
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here it is, the third and final Great Tales of Middle-Earth in its full form. Not really.

This was my first time reading The Fall of Gondolin and I must say it reminded me of the Trojan War. I’ll be honest that I don’t have a lot of things to say regarding this book. I can seriously copy paste my Beren and Luthien review with a few tweaks and it would describe my thoughts on the book appropriately.

This doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy reading the book, I actually liked the main story of The Fall
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
August 1, 2018: 21.76€ for an ebook? TWENTY ONE POINT SEVENTY SIX EUROS FOR AN EBOOK? ARE YOU BLOODY SHRIMPING KIDDING ME???!!!! And here I was, thinking Lies of the Beholder being available for pre-order at 10€ was a total rip-off. Goes to show you can be both cunningly nefarious and ridiculously naive.

New bloody shrimping Tolkien novel + reluctant hero + dark lord + epic battles =

P.S. The final Kate Daniels instalment will be released on August 28. So will Sandman Slim #10. And now this one on
Bradley
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fans of Tolkien and his Silmarillion will not be too disappointed in this book. It's not as recursive as Beren and Luthien and the strong descriptions of Gondolin's destruction are really quite fun.

I mean, who DOESN'T love balrogs and hosts of orcs descending upon and destroying the hidden city of elves in a grand bloody rout? Sure, there's mighty good sendoff and defense, but what we really wanted to see is all those stupid kinslaying elves get theirs.

Hmmm. I might be a bit bloodthirsty today.
milou  ☕️
↠ 4 stars

The mighty Tuor

Italian Trulli

Throughout the years we have received a fair share of stories and books that take place in Middle-Earth, from the First Age till the Fourth Age. Almost every part from The Silmarillion has been given their own book, rich with details and lore. This time it was finally The Fall of Gondolin's turn and it was worth the wait.

In the Silmarillion the description of the Fall of Gondolin was brief and not as elaborated. We are given various versions of how the mighty and hidden
daisy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
i don't want to sound like a weirdo but my copy of this book.... smells REALLY good...

Buddy-read with Reyes💞

RTC. Current feelings/thoughts summarised below in one picture:
description
Rachel Libke
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you need any further incentive to read this beautiful book apart from the fact that it's by Tolkien, just know that it involves Balrogs riding dragons into battle.
Nicholas Kotar
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
If only Tolkien had finished the last version of this story. It would have been one of the most tragic and beautiful novels of our time.
Sotiris Karaiskos
The story of the fall of Gondolin was the first to be written by the great writer when he was still in the First World War, so is fitting the last book of his writings edited by his son, Christopher Tolkien, to be relevant to this story. It is, of course, one of the most intense episodes of the first era of this fantastic world, a story of struggle, hesitation, love, betrayal, and a final disaster that has been the greatest triumph of the forces of evil. A story that - like all the other of the ...more
Sud666
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, fantasy
Christopher Tolkien (J.R.R.'s son) has done a great job collating Tolkien's lost works. He has taken the unpublished works from drafts of stories J.R.R. never completed. The Fall of Gondonlin is an event that takes place after the Silmarillion. The story called "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin" relates how Tuor found the city and how Melkor (later known as Morgoth) sought its destruction.

While not a complete book, the story has several versions that are shown. It gives us a background on the
Trish
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, according to his own statement in the foreword, Christopher Tolkien‘s last book. JRR‘s son is 94 years old and thus has also already given up his seat on the board of the Tolkien Estate. Which means that an era comes to an end with this book. And I couldn‘t imagine a more appropriate form for it.

The titular city of Gondolin was built (and hidden) during the First Age by the wayward elves, the ones shunning the rest of their kind and the gods that made them. JRR penned 6 different versio
Eric
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, tolkien
3 Stars

In the final book from Christopher Tolkien compiled by reviewing his father’s writings, there was a mix of everything that made his father’s stories wonderful along with my same issues with the last of these books released, Beren and Luthien.

Gondolin is one of the most famous locations in Tolkien lore. This book tells the background of that city as well as the details of its fall.

So the good. There was something really cool about seeing stories filled with legendary characters reference
Timothy Boyd
While this does have the actual story of the "Fall of Gondolin", both the original and the rewritten versions, the book is really more a history of how Tolkien evolved the story through the years into it's final form. Like the Beren and Lúthien book this is probably more of interest to a Tolkien for the history and evolution of the writings. The story is a interesting one in the history of the Tolkien world. Recommended
Markus
Jan 04, 2019 added it
Shelves: tolkien, fantasy
Putting this remarkable book on hold until the summer. I need to have the right peace of mind to properly enjoy it. It deserves as much.
Silvana
Tuor's story is one of the great epics from the First Age and I thoroughly enjoyed reading more versions of it aside from ones I read from The Silmarillion and The Book of Lost Tales.

Lots of great and memorable details from the battle itself, including acts of heroism, and treachery, plus even cowardice. Yep, as my buddy Kathrine said, we find more behavioral spectrum of the elves compared to the familiar Third Age. We guess that after all those wars, curse, and kinslaying all that were left wer
E.F.B.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tolkien, fantasy
In this final book edited by Christopher Tolkien, we get to study the third of the "Great Tales" of the Elder Days. Similar to "Beren and Luthien" Christopher Tolkien compares and contrasts three different versions of the story that his father wrote, explains when and why the changes happened and, in the case of the last version, explains why the story remained unfinished.

I greatly enjoyed seeing the evolution of The Fall of Gondolin over time. It was especially nice that, unlike in "Beren and
Vivian
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-odyssey, fantasy
I finished this as the grey light of morning waned and gold pierced through the fog. The Fall of Gondolin tells of the downfall of last enclave of Noldoli, Deep Elves, who escaped Melko after the Battle of Unnubmered Tears. Christopher Tolkien has taken on the monumental task of trying to piece together the fragments of a multitude of versions pertaining to Gondolin and Tuor, hero who's line will yield both Elrond of Rivendell and Elros, the King of Númenor.

Beside the insight into the creation p
Anton
Hell yeah! How come release like that can sneak up on you??! Looking forward and clearing space in my TBR queue 😄
Marquise
The story of the sack of the hidden city of Gondolin wasn't a favourite of mine in The Silmarillion, and this reedition that includes fragments of earlier versions hasn't done much to improve my deficient enthusiasm for it.

I can understand why Mr Christopher would want to publish the third and last Great Tale; at his advanced age, there's a need for completion, to not leave loose ends, and with Children of Húrin and Beren and Lúthien out already, Gondolin couldn't have been more conspicuous a m
Soroush R. Gharehbaghi
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Fall of Gondolin as the last book published by Christopher Tolkein that is set in Middle-Earth tells of one of three great stories of Arda in the first age. The story is about war between two enemies. Melkor Morgoth, Once a mighty Vala and god fallen into evil and Ulmo, Sea-god of Valars. And in center of this enemity is Gondolin, The beautiful but hidden city of Noldori Elves that rebled in Valinor, The Ancient Heaven of the West, Against Valar and came to Arda to fight against Melkor. And ...more
Ozymandias
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was not wholly what I was expecting and it’s probably best to go in knowing what to expect (and more importantly what not to expect). I had thought (having somehow neglected to read Beren and Lúthien) that this was a completed version of one of his father’s unfinished works like The Children of Húrin. However, the length of that draft manuscript appears to have been unique among Tolkien’s work. His other two great tales of the Elder Days exist only in much shorter or unfinished forms. ...more
John Ollerton
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to have more Tolkien and of course a labour or love for the aged Christopher Tolkien but the oft repeated notes were somewhat to me.
maiaroflothlorien
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being a major Tolkien fan and wanting to know more of the history on Middle-earth, the Valar, and the epic stories that evolved into the books The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, this book truly does make my heart soar. It took me a while to read this, but mainly because so much detail has been written that, in order to understand everything, you have to read slow and steady. I was able to follow Tuor through his journey of discovering Gondolin and witness the ending of such a beautiful kingdom, n ...more
Al Burke
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Gotta be honest, I didn't finish the whole book. The story itself is great after a slow start, reads a bit like the Iliad. After 100 pages or so, it reverts to CT discussing how the story was put together and reflections on different notes he found. My TBR's constant screams for attention superseded this.
Yamin Eaindray
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

This was enjoyable but not as much as The Children of Húrin. It was much shorter than I wanted it to be and instead of a longer plot, I got to read different versions of the same story. It felt more like a brief account of an important event than a tale.

The plot is simple enough. Hero Tuor, chosen by Ulmo the Lord of Waters, finds the beautiful, hidden kingdom Gondolin and marries Turgon's daughter, Idril. A great warrior, like his cousin Turin, though probably a less complicated one. Th
Dr. Andrew Higgins
This is the third of what I consider three very important volumes in Tolkien studies exploring the development of the great mythic strands of Tolkien’s great tales which serve as key elements of his world-building. Much has been written about The Fall of Gondolin strand which I all agree with - this is indeed a great tale envisioned out of Tolkien’s own experience of war and developed throughout his work on the legendarium. In seeing all these strands written during different conceptual periods ...more
Sarah Zama
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Absolutely fantastic!
I had actually read most of this material elsewhere, so there was little in terms of novelty, but I loved to read all the versions and ideas for this story in one place.
The Fall of Gondolin has gone through less work and revisions than Tolkien's other two Great Stories, but this one is particularly important because (as Christophers points out) this is probably where Middle-earth and all its history were born.
The first version from the 1920s (the only one that is complete)
Melissa
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I can’t say there is a lot new here if you’ve already read The Histories of Middle Earth, but as always it’s always a pleasure to read one story all condensed into one volume with all its versions and additions accompanied by the beautiful drawings of Alan Lee.
Derek
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Tolkien the Younger captures the essential tragedy: J.R.R. had this magnificent, specifically-realized tale in him somewhere, a linchpin of the First Age of his legendarium, yet he abandoned it for reasons that may be supposed but never really known for certain. Possibly, and this is the shame, due to worries over ever-tightening finances.

What is actually available for his efforts and the efforts of Christopher Tolkien comes to about 200 pages of actual story in multiple incomplete/unpolished ve
Marko Vasić
This book is, as well as Beren and Lúthien, sheer corpus of the comparative histories of narratives as they evolved. Hence, these tales are not unknown to the reader who previously was acquainted with their form, published in Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth and various tomes of the “History of Middle-Earth”: II – The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two, V – The Lost Road and Other Writings and XI – The War of the Jewels. The central part of the book held the version of the story told in “Q ...more
Studi Tolkieniani: La caduta di Gondolin 7 20 Dec 25, 2019 07:56PM
J.R.R. Tolkien: The Fall of Gondolin 71 291 Oct 11, 2019 05:22AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Fall of Gondolin [Aug 10, 2019] 24 30 Aug 18, 2019 05:27AM
FantasYtalia (Fan...: La caduta di Gondolin 1 8 Nov 27, 2018 11:11AM

• J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
  • The Heroes of Tolkien
  • Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth
  • The Dark Powers of Tolkien
  • Fire & Blood (A Targaryen History #1)
  • The Battles of Tolkien
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo
  • Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth
  • The History of the Hobbit (One-Volume Edition)
  • Life Ever After
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Spiżowy gniew (Siedmioksiąg Grzechu #1)
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English

Middle-earth Universe (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • Beren and Lúthien
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)