Start by marking “The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)

The Fall of Gondolin

(Middle-Earth Universe)

In the Tale of The Fall of Gondolin are two of the greatest powers in the world. There is Morgoth of the uttermost evil, unseen in this story but ruling over a vast military power from his fortress of Angband. Deeply opposed to Morgoth is Ulmo, second in might only to Manwë, chief of the Valar: he is called the Lord of Waters, of all seas, lakes, and rivers under the sky. ...more
Published August 30th 2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Gondolin, please sign up.
Namrata Yes, and he died leaving a lot of extensive notes and unfinished manuscripts, which his son Christopher has been editing and publishing. The…moreYes, and he died leaving a lot of extensive notes and unfinished manuscripts, which his son Christopher has been editing and publishing. The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-Earth, The Children of Hurin etc. were all published after JRR Tolkien's death, by Christopher.
Amber Martingale Yes, but only two because the stories are interconnected. They are "The Children of Húrin" and "Beren and Lúthien." The stories are interconnected…moreYes, but only two because the stories are interconnected. They are "The Children of Húrin" and "Beren and Lúthien." The stories are interconnected because the three families are genetically interconnected not just in the Elder Days but also in the events of "The Lord of the Rings."

The hero of "The Fall of Gondolin" is nephew to Húrin, but his son by Idril, Eärendil, marries Elwing. Elwing is the granddaughter of Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel .

All of these are ancestors of Elrond of Rivendell, his three children (Arwen Evenstar, Elladan and Elrohir who are identical twins) and even Aragorn of Gondor.(less)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I was delighted when I heard about the release of this book because in Beren and Lúthien Christopher Tolkien erroneously stated that it was going to be the last restoration of his father’s work he undertook. He changed his mind. And I thank him for it because this is a glorious tale, showcasing much of Tolkien’s brilliance.

Firstly though, many readers will have a pertinent question on their mind: is The Fall of Gondolin worth buying for those who have read The Silmarillion? It most definitely
Ana O
Apr 14, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien
Brace yourselves. A new Tolkien book is coming. I am ready. I've never been readier for anything in my life.

tolkien_0

tolkien

tolkien_00

Who do I need to sell my hypothetical firstborn to in order to get my hands on this book? Cuz I'll do it.

tolkien_0000

tolkien_00000

tolkien_000

Gondolin was a hidden city of the Elves, founded by Turgon the Wise. One might draw parallels between the Fall of Gondolin and the Fall of Troy.

Then they looked up and could see, and lo! they were at the foot of steep hills, and these hills made a great circle wherein lay a wi
Petrik
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
Here it is, the third and final Great Tales of Middle-Earth in its full form. Not really.

This was my first time reading The Fall of Gondolin and I must say it reminded me of the Trojan War. I’ll be honest that I don’t have a lot of things to say regarding this book. I can seriously copy paste my Beren and Luthien review with a few tweaks and it would describe my thoughts on the book appropriately.

This doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy reading the book, I actually liked the main story of The Fall
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
August 1, 2018: 21.76€ for an ebook? TWENTY ONE POINT SEVENTY SIX EUROS FOR AN EBOOK? ARE YOU BLOODY SHRIMPING KIDDING ME???!!!! And here I was, thinking Lies of the Beholder being available for pre-order at 10€ was a total rip-off. Goes to show you can be both cunningly nefarious and ridiculously naive.

New bloody shrimping Tolkien novel + reluctant hero + dark lord + epic battles =

P.S. The final Kate Daniels instalment will be released on August 28. So will Sandman Slim #10. And now this one on
milou  ☁️
↠ 4 stars

The mighty Tuor

Italian Trulli

Throughout the years we have received a fair share of stories and books that take place in Middle-Earth, from the First Age till the Fourth Age. Almost every part from The Silmarillion has been given their own book, rich with details and lore. This time it was finally The Fall of Gondolin's turn and it was worth the wait.

In the Silmarillion the description of the Fall of Gondolin was brief and not as elaborated. We are given various versions of how the mighty and hidden
daisy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i don't want to sound like a weirdo but my copy of this book.... smells REALLY good...

Buddy-read with Reyes💞

RTC. Current feelings/thoughts summarised below in one picture:
description
Evripidis Gousiaris
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Κάθε φορά που επισκέπτομαι τον κόσμο του ανατριχιάζω.

Αγαπημένος.
Sotiris Karaiskos
The story of the fall of Gondolin was the first to be written by the great writer when he was still in the First World War, so is fitting the last book of his writings edited by his son, Christopher Tolkien, to be relevant to this story. It is, of course, one of the most intense episodes of the first era of this fantastic world, a story of struggle, hesitation, love, betrayal, and a final disaster that has been the greatest triumph of the forces of evil. A story that - like all the other of the ...more
Rachel Libke
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you need any further incentive to read this beautiful book apart from the fact that it's by Tolkien, just know that it involves Balrogs riding dragons into battle.
E.F.B.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tolkien, fantasy
In this final book edited by Christopher Tolkien, we get to study the third of the "Great Tales" of the Elder Days. Similar to "Beren and Luthien" Christopher Tolkien compares and contrasts three different versions of the story that his father wrote, explains when and why the changes happened and, in the case of the last version, explains why the story remained unfinished.

I greatly enjoyed seeing the evolution of The Fall of Gondolin over time. It was especially nice that, unlike in "Beren and
Vivian
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-odyssey, fantasy
I finished this as the grey light of morning waned and gold pierced through the fog. The Fall of Gondolin tells of the downfall of last enclave of Noldoli, Deep Elves, who escaped Melko after the Battle of Unnubmered Tears. Christopher Tolkien has taken on the monumental task of trying to piece together the fragments of a multitude of versions pertaining to Gondolin and Tuor, hero who's line will yield both Elrond of Rivendell and Elros, the King of Númenor.

Beside the insight into the creation p
Markus
Jan 04, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy, tolkien
Putting this remarkable book on hold until the summer. I need to have the right peace of mind to properly enjoy it. It deserves as much.
Fren
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien è Tolkien, punto.
Anton
Hell yeah! How come release like that can sneak up on you??! Looking forward and clearing space in my TBR queue 😄
Marquise
The story of the sack of the hidden city of Gondolin wasn't a favourite of mine in The Silmarillion, and this reedition that includes fragments of earlier versions hasn't done much to improve my deficient enthusiasm for it.

I can understand why Mr Christopher would want to publish the third and last Great Tale; at his advanced age, there's a need for completion, to not leave loose ends, and with Children of Húrin and Beren and Lúthien out already, Gondolin couldn't have been more conspicuous a m
Eric
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, tolkien
3 Stars

In the final book from Christopher Tolkien compiled by reviewing his father’s writings, there was a mix of everything that made his father’s stories wonderful along with my same issues with the last of these books released, Beren and Luthien.

Gondolin is one of the most famous locations in Tolkien lore. This book tells the background of that city as well as the details of its fall.

So the good. There was something really cool about seeing stories filled with legendary characters reference
Ozymandias
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was not wholly what I was expecting and it’s probably best to go in knowing what to expect (and more importantly what not to expect). I had thought (having somehow neglected to read Beren and Lúthien) that this was a completed version of one of his father’s unfinished works like The Children of Húrin. However, the length of that draft manuscript appears to have been unique among Tolkien’s work. His other two great tales of the Elder Days exist only in much shorter or unfinished forms. ...more
maiaroflothlorien
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being a major Tolkien fan and wanting to know more of the history on Middle-earth, the Valar, and the epic stories that evolved into the books The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, this book truly does make my heart soar. It took me a while to read this, but mainly because so much detail has been written that, in order to understand everything, you have to read slow and steady. I was able to follow Tuor through his journey of discovering Gondolin and witness the ending of such a beautiful kingdom, n ...more
Dr. Andrew Higgins
This is the third of what I consider three very important volumes in Tolkien studies exploring the development of the great mythic strands of Tolkien’s great tales which serve as key elements of his world-building. Much has been written about The Fall of Gondolin strand which I all agree with - this is indeed a great tale envisioned out of Tolkien’s own experience of war and developed throughout his work on the legendarium. In seeing all these strands written during different conceptual periods ...more
Sarah Zama
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic!
I had actually read most of this material elsewhere, so there was little in terms of novelty, but I loved to read all the versions and ideas for this story in one place.
The Fall of Gondolin has gone through less work and revisions than Tolkien's other two Great Stories, but this one is particularly important because (as Christophers points out) this is probably where Middle-earth and all its history were born.
The first version from the 1920s (the only one that is complete)
Melissa
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I can’t say there is a lot new here if you’ve already read The Histories of Middle Earth, but as always it’s always a pleasure to read one story all condensed into one volume with all its versions and additions accompanied by the beautiful drawings of Alan Lee.
Tex-49
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il libro riprende tutto ciò che era stato già inserito nelle varie opere di Tolkien, relativamente al viaggio di Tuor verso Gondolin e la sua successiva caduta, però è interessante il confronto, delle varie parti di cui si compone la storia così come esposte nelle diverse opere.
Si può così notare come in alcune opere vengono approfondite delle parti ed in altre invece parti differenti; avrei però gradito di più una sola esposizione lineare, prendendo i punti più approfonditi dalle diverse fonti.
GoldGato
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Here is the tale of Gondolin, the hidden city of Elves that is apparently so well-hidden, even Morgoth the Evil can't find it. If you've read Tolkien, then you might have remembered (or not...I didn't) something said somewhere about Gondolin and its part in the whole Middle Earth saga. This counts as part of the universe way before the Lord of the Rings thingy.

Here, the villain is Morgoth, not Sauron. Morgoth was the original O.G., the baddie who disrupted the world created by the Valar. As evil
Michael Galdamez
Maybe I should actually read the other two Great Tales books before I buy this one too...

Al Burke
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Gotta be honest, I didn't finish the whole book. The story itself is great after a slow start, reads a bit like the Iliad. After 100 pages or so, it reverts to CT discussing how the story was put together and reflections on different notes he found. My TBR's constant screams for attention superseded this.
Jen
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will admit this wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It is not a full complete story in a way...J.R.R. Tolkien revised and eventually abandoned this Tale when publishers were not interested. Therefore, this book compiles 4 different versions of the same story, as well as some narrative analysis from Christopher Tolkien and how the story continues to the end of the First Age of Middle Earth.

That aside, I have yet to be disappointed by Tolkien's world. And Christopher has done an amazing job pie
Juan Gallardo Ivanovic
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great prologue for the master piece that could not be finished.
This is one of the first stories about Middle earth that was conceived before LOTR was even written.
It is the tale of a young Man chosen by the Sea God Ulmo to deliver an important message to Last stronghold of the Noldor Elves against the Dark Lord Morgoth. It is also an account of the deeds that happened upon the fall of the Hidden City and the Doom after it for not heeding Ulmo's advice.
Even that the City is lost, Hope will pre
AG Reads
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
For dedicated fans of Tolkien's worlds, this was a fitting final release of the enormous amount of work left to his son upon Tolkien's death. I can't imagine undertaking the task of sifting through the notes, letters, early editions, illustrations, and erased and written-over pages. In essence, telling the tales imagined by J.R.R. Tolkien took two lifetimes of the two men dedicated to bringing the fantasy to life for readers.

If you have only read The Lord of the Rings and/or The Hobbit, you wil
Lindsay
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Having read Beren and Lúthien, I had a better idea of what to expect from this next Middle Earth addition. Christopher, as always, has done a fantastic job of sharing his father’s work and ideas with the world.

The story of The Fall of Gondolin (final version) was superbly written. It offers a glimpse into more elven history that Tolkien hints at through these many stories. I really appreciated learning where Eärendil came from and his story as a young boy.

Although this book is not a typical stor
J.R.R. Tolkien: The Fall of Gondolin 69 267 Mar 11, 2019 02:39PM
  • Camus, a Romance
  • Tolkien: A Biography
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • Castles
  • The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films: A Comprehensive Account of Howard Shore's Scores (Book and Rarities CD)
  • John Ronald's Dragons: The Story of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • Taliessin through Logres, The Region of the Summer Stars, and Arthurian Torso
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • Wingfeather Tales
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Hobbit or There and Back Again
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • Beren and Lúthien
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)
“For heart that is pitiless counteth not the power that pity hath, of which stern anger may be forged and a lightning kindled before which mountains fall.” 3 likes
“Malkarauki.” 0 likes