Start by marking “The Dinosaur Tourist” as Want to Read:
The Dinosaur Tourist

The Dinosaur Tourist

Almost nothing is only what it seems to be at first glance. Appearances can be deceiving and first impressions often lead us disastrously astray. If we're not careful, assumption and expectation can betray us all the way to madness and death and damnation. In The Dinosaur Tourist, Caitlín R. Kiernan's fifteenth collection of short fiction, nineteen tales of the unexpected ...more
Published November 30th 2018 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dinosaur Tourist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dinosaur Tourist

Dan Schwent
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-books
The Dinosaur Tourist is a collection of tales by Caitlin R. Kiernan.

I have to confess that I grabbed this ARC from Netgalley because I'm a dino-dork from way back. Fortunately for me, the impulse paid off. This was a really good short story collection from an author I've never read before.

Kiernan worked as a paleontologist and paleontology is worked into the periphery of most of the stories. Some of the stories have a Lovecraftian feel, only written in Kiernan's noir-ish style. I don't know that
Karl
Dec 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
This limited edition hardcover is numbered 373 of 600 printed, is bound in leather and is signed by Caitlín R. Kiernan.

Contents:

009 - "The Beginning of the Year Without a Summer"
025 - "Far From Any Shore"
041 - "The Cats of River Street (1925)"
063 - "Elegy for a Suicide"
071 - "The Road of Needles"
089 - "Whilst the Night Rejoices Profound and Still"
105 - "Ballad of an Echo Whisperer"
119 - "The Cripple and the Starfish"
133 - "Fake Plastic Trees"
151 - "Whisper Road (Murder Ballad No. 9)"
163 - "Anim
James
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I'm of the opinion that (generally speaking) Caitlín R. Kiernan's short story collections are more aesthetically successful than her novels, I found her new collection, The Dinosaur Tourist, to be something of a mixed bag (though it does have very impressive cover art). Maybe it's burn-out on my part in a way... this is the 3rd collection of hers that I've read this year alone (though the first two were reprints of older collections), and in the past 3 years since I've begun reading her ...more
Chris
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the fifteenth collection of Caitlín R. Kiernan's short fiction, according to the blurb, and about the fourth or fifth I've read cover to cover. But prolific as she is, the quality of these stories doesn't suffer from their quanity, and the Kiernan has established herself as a preeminent writer of the weird. These stories share more than a passing resemblance to the likes of Clive Barker and Peter Straub, and owe no small debt to H.P. Lovecraft. Yet Kiernan has a voice that's uniquely her ...more
Jon Hilty
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
237 of 600 signed and numbered editions from Subterranean. I enjoyed all of the stories to some degree or another. Not every one was a solid wow-er of a tale, but they were all at least "good enough". The collection had some somewhat thematically linked tales, which was nice, and some of her Lovecraftian stuff, which was also nice. I definitely enjoyed the author's notes following each story, always love an insight into what inspired a story, even if it's only a sentence or so. Definitely going ...more
Dustin

An impressive write-up from Publisher's Weekly can be found HERE:

Elizabeth
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dinosaur Tourist takes us to places both familiar and strange, dancing in and out in a way that often defines the strict boundaries of genre to become something more. Kiernan is unafraid to tackle the classics, from her cats that guard Lovecraft's Innsmouth, while also creating so much that is utterly new. Strange idols appear in the earth. Holes open up in bathroom floors.

Throughout many of the stories, the theme of fossil hunting or paleontology runs. Some characters are fossil hunters, w
Kristy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Subterranean Press for a free e-copy of The Dinosaur Tourist in exchange for an honest review.**

While scrolling through NetGalley, this title and cover art immediately grabbed my attention. Then I noticed the author's name. I recognized her name instantly, and was so excited when I was approved as this is the first time I've read her work. Caitlin R. Kiernan is a master of prose! In this short story collection, she weaves tales of science-fiction, fantasy, and horror
Nostalgia Reader
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-mcl-book
An intriguing mixture of horror, sci-fi, magic realism, and some psychological musing short stories. There was an underlying theme throughout all of them of a deep-set perpetual memory or mobius-like existence in the world ("Ballad of an Echo Whisper" encapsulates the theme prevalent throughout). Many of the stories have a strong autobiographical undertone to them as well.

Recommended for those who like Lovecraftian horror (many of the stories are based on that mythos) or unsettling horror and ps
Ruby
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love good short stories, ones that stretch the boundaries of reality . Short story collections are my drug of choice and this collection is definitely worth a few reads. Get to know a bunch of authors. Explore our world and others in new and fun ways. Meet loads of fabulous out of the world characters and laugh, cry, and get angry right along side them. WONDEFUL!!!
Serena
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Requested from Netgalley to review, but bought my own copy later.

I have not read a book by Caitlin R Kiernan before, so I did not know what I was getting into, although I regret nothing. I wish the short story had been somehow introduced before rather than afterwards, as sometimes I was lost as to who was telling the story, what gender or scene I was stepping into the headspace of, sometimes a summary would have been nice.

I really expected to read this faster than what I did, I delight in dinos
J. Stone
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
CRK's newest short story collection is the exact representation of who the author is at this point and time. Gone are the days of punky, gothy, woe-is-me, and in its place we have paleontologists, mindful human beings, introspection, diary-like psychiatric sessions, ancient beasts and more. Whether you prefer CRK as the latter or former, she's still the same prose master, but just at a different caliber.

What makes CRK stand out for me is I always learn something from her stories as there are so
Jeff Raymond
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
All short story collections tend to have good and not as good moments; this one was thankfully more along the lines of the former.
Jaclyn Sutherland
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.6 stars actually (I wish there was a way to do that on here!) Review to follow on my blog.
Hayden
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic collection of Caitlin R. Kiernan's short fiction in another fantastic bit of packaging from Subterranean. Kiernan is that rare writer where I find myself looking up so many pieces of incorporated information, wondering if its another part of the fiction, or something factual that I hadn't read / heard of before (e.g. the Tsavo man-eaters; any number of unfamiliar disorders / scientific terms). I'd read a few of these stories in other collections before, but re-read everything a ...more
Michael
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fucking spectacular collection.
Kamisha
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review!

What a wonderfully weird, creative, and sometimes spooky collection of short stories! I had read a few short stories by Kiernan before picking this up, but Dinosaur Tourist was my first experience with a full collection of her work and I’m so glad I picked it up! The first few stories took me a little while to get into, but before I realized it, I was flying through each story to the end.
Suncerae
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Nineteen short stories of science fiction, fantasy, and horror, are brought together in The Dinosaur Tourist, Caitlín R. Kiernan’s fifteenth collection of short fiction. This is my first introduction to her works, and all have a Lovecraftian quality, slowly pulling back the edges of reality, testing the water of surrealism, until a new world is upon you and there’s no turning back. Beware dead swans, large black dogs, psychiatrists, road trips at night, and of course, dinosaurs.

Some of my favori
Trish Graboske
Beautiful writing. But the characters tend to be serial killers and traumatized people in psychiatrists' offices. Oh, and at least four Lovecraftian tales, which were what I really wanted, and Little Red Riding Hood -- in outer space! There's "Samhain on Mars" and vampires, nanotech destroying the world, and barghests! So overall, really good.
Daniella Tiller Romero
First, Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book.

I don’t know if it was necessarily the stories that kept me reading this book or if it was that I was intrigued by the author’s mind and wondering where else the stories would go. I can say, if you are a fan of Chuck Palahniuk you will probably really enjoy this book.
Lili
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From Netgalley for review:

I don't read much fiction, but I could not ignore this book after reading its description, and I am so glad because good lord is this book deeply creepy. Very Lovecraftian in tone, which I loved! I definitely recommend if you are a fan of short stories that are deep in the uncanny horror with hints of eldritch horror spread throughout.
Dan Trefethen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kiernan writes strange, disturbing stories. "What?" I hear you say, "you say that as if it's a bad thing." Well, no, not necessarily. She's a good enough stylist that even with the stories that don't work for me, I go along with her because of the language and the unsettling, often ambiguous nature of the tale.

Still, I wouldn't choose her for bedtime reading. I don't want the kinds of dreams that her (admittedly often autobiographical) characters seem to have.
aleph3
Graham
Mar 24, 2019
Moudry
Feb 27, 2019
Caitlín Rebekah Kiernan (born 26 May 1964) is the author of science fiction and dark fantasy works, including ten novels; many comic books; and more than two hundred published short stories, novellas, and vignettes. She is also the author of scientific papers in the field of paleontology.

(from Wikipedia)