Start by marking “The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions, Season One #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions, Season One #1)

The Cardigans

(Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)

ABOUT THIS EPISODE

When a string of young queer men turn up dead in grisly murders, all signs point to the ex-boyfriend—but what should be an open-and-shut case is fraught with tension when BPD homicide detective Malcolm Khalaji joins up with a partner he never wanted. Rigid, ice-cold, and a stickler for the rules, Seong-Jae Yoon is a watchful presence whose obstinacy and
Published July 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Cardigans, please sign up.
krick

This might be totally off or it might be a spoiler...

But....

This might be totally off or it might be a spoiler...

But....

In book 4 there’s an important scene where a song by the band called the Cardigans is referenced (less)

Start your review of The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions, Season One #1)
Shile
4.5 shiny crime stars

Found my new favorite police procedural series.

Na, na, na, na, na....
No more ranting!

Me! When i get disappointed by a book!

description

Proceeds to write a rant essay that is longer that the book!

description

Me! when i love a book: Ummm! Ummm!

- Love it! Really Loved it!

- The writing was good.

- The case engaging.

- The characters are so lovable.

description

Khalaji baby... We STAN you.

Book 2 i am coming for you!

description

Thank you so much lovely Shin for this gift and for kick-starting my latest addiction.
Nazanin
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2018
4 Stars

Darian’s body was found in an ally, close to a gay club. He was twenty-one-year-old, the cause of death was strangulation and his legs had been sawed. He was neither the first victim nor the last one. All the victims have the same MO. They have been strangled with the body part missing, they were all gay and all signs point to the ex-boyfriend.

Malcolm is a Sergeant Detective and works on his cases alone but this time the captain assigned him with another person, the one who outranked him
Simone
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
***4.5 Stars*** and it looks like I found myself a new addiction...

Two men. Two detectives looking into the abyss of a criminal mind on a killing spree who is leaving a trace of young gay men in their wake. Two partners against their will forming a fragile bond over their determination to stop this sick bastard once and for all and their fear to fail.

Two unique and intriguing characters who cast a spell over me from the get-go. Okay, don't get overly excited now and pop some heart-eyes: this
Hamad
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hamad by: Morgan
This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

“We only define others by the value they have to us, and once they no longer provide that value, we let them go.”

This book reminded me of the Cut & Run series which is similar in having 2 LGBT detectives and a murder going on. I said that I liked the first book in the Cut and Run series but I think this is a better series for many reasons.

First, this is written by an own-voice LGBT author, second and more importantly is that I said the mystery part
~Mindy Lynn~
4 Stars!

This was a really good cop story with a gruesome tale that leaves you in the dark to whom the killer may be until the very end.
The two MC's are very much lone wolves who spend half the book circling each other. Neither wants a partner and are both under the impression that their pairing is temporary. But the more time goes on they and the reader can see that they work well with each other and are able to work through the case with an ease that surprises them. Their hostility turns into
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
S1E1: The Cardigans
S1E2: Junk Shop Blues

He carried too many of those cases inside him. Too many dead ends, too many losses.

Having read one of Cole McCade's stand-alones (a few times) and having adored it, I was way overdue on starting this series. Now that season 1 is going to be ending this summer, I figured it was a good enough reason to binge these books, and now, after just one installment, I'm kicking myself for not devouring every single episode as soon as it released. Cole is such an
chan ☆
criminal minds but make it SO FUCKING QUEER

this was gritty, gory, fun. i loved the main characters, i loved the sexual tension that hasn't fully been explored. and surprisingly, i didn't focus excessively on the relationship when reading! i mean i'm curious to see where the two main characters' relationship goes but the plot was what kept me going.

i think a serial format really does work well here. each episode is essentially a case, kind of like a TV crime show. and this one was twisted and
Lyn
Grit, humor and complex MCs. Perfection!
Nicola
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, m-m
I know when I pick up a Cole McCade book I’m going be left satisfied and I’d go as far as saying the opener to his M/M Criminal Intentions series is his best to date. True to his writing he combines representation of marginalised groups and individuals—this series features two rather stubborn detectives in Seong-Jae Yoon; Korean-American and demisexual/grey-ACE, and Malcolm Khalaji; Persian-American, bisexual, Jewish (and a silver fox)—with a fantastic story.

description

I love a good whodunnit and am the
Christine
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Karen
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded up because STILL no 1/2 stars here on GR

Sometimes stepping outside of the box can be murder...

While I love a good mystery or thriller...I'll be the first to admit when it comes to murder and especially if it's of a more graphic nature, I'm usually one of the first ones to shy away...so having said that I am more than a little glad that I didn't do that in this case.

While 'Criminal Intentions' isn't quite what I would normally choose to read it wasn't wildly outside of the box
~Volha~
I certainly loved this book and true to author's word this story did feel like a TV Criminal Drama something akin to Law & Order: SVU but darker, more violent and with no personal drama or relationships. This is not a romance. There is no mention of feelings, well, except hatred and disdain at the beginning changing to grudging respect and some trust. Oh and hot as f....k scorching kiss at the end of it! *flushing furiously*

This story is about a string of gruesome murders in LGBT community
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2018
I have to confess subject crime is not a first on my top-list to read but my experience with this author’s writing is good so I just want to read... I was not disappointed!

Intriguing story, young queer people are found murdered and homicide detective Malcolm Khalaji is on top of it. He gets help from a new temporary partner Seong-Jae Yoon... this al against Khalaji’s will. There is a lot of hostility between the two men, and they need each other to solve a crime in this deadly course.

Without
rachel ☾
S1 #2) Junk Shop Blues

Reread #1 (Feb 2020) :

god, i fucking adore these characters.

Original Read (May 2019):

this was so good it made me cry

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler)
Chris
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-crime, lgbtq
3.5 stars - this took me a while to get into ... maybe the writing style, the stand offish characters or just timing ? Once I got into the flow I understood the clever process and started enjoying this. I think this might be a series you need to read to truly comprehend the two MCs
haletostilinski
Wow. This was amazing.

We only get the littlest bit with Malcolm and Seong-Jae, but like the description says, these books are like tv episodes - and only about 2 days take place over the course of this book, as it would in serial crime drama tv show like Law & Order.

Although this was...messed up and dark. It was tough to read at times - the horror of these murders were particularly gruesome, and seeing our MC's have to deal with it, and the escalating occurrence of the murders and the
rowenalovelace
I had to give this five
I have been almost only reading mystery m/m books for the last month, this book feels real. It might have to do with it written in slow pace because author planned it to be 13 books in a season, which means we will have good enough time to spend with our detectives. Even so, I like how it is written like with a novel finality so that you don't feel what you read is unfinished. You just simply crave more.
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. It seems I have a new favorite law enforcement partnership. Damn good thing I bought them all, LOL.

The crime and investigation were well done and gripping and that was enough to make it ok that there's no romance *yet*. But the chemistry between these two is snapping, making me so many promises for later, and I am here for that.

Loving the second one already. This is a new author for me but when this series is done (if it lives up to it's promise) I'll be looking for more Cole
Aleksandra
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases

Criminal Intentions: The Cardigans is the first book in a series about two Baltimore detective in homicide department. In this novel Malcolm Khalaji meets Seong-Jae Yoon, who has just transferred to Baltimore from LAPD. The detective have to solve rapidly escalating case of murdered queer teens and manage to work with each other, their personalities clashing in the best way possible.

Many of my goodreads pals love the series and I had high expectations going into the book.
The
Ariana
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ariana by: Simone
*4,5 stars*

Yes, it really is as good as the reviews say!
Thank you, Simone and Shile, for not giving up to nudge me all the way to this point!

I loved it.

Of course this is very much a beginning.
If you don't know already: this is the first of 36 (planned) episodes dealing with this world and the two main characters: Malcolm Khalaji and Seong-Jae Yoon, both detectives with the Baltimore PD.
These episodes are virtually full length novels, and boy, does the author know how to pack TONS of goodies
Caipi
Interesting murder story with some gruesome scenes.
While the two detectives Malcolm Khalaji and Seong-Jae Yoon haven't captured my heart so far, the book overall was good enough for me to give the next part a chance.

Nazanin ex-Profile
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this sort of introduction to Seong-Jae Yoon and Malcolm Khalaji. Both characters already seem to have a lot of depth and I'm actually looking forward to knowing what the deal is with all those unanswered questions.
I can totally picture Yoon, but I have to check Pinterest for Khalaji inspiration.
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
True rating ... 4.25 wonderfully written stars :-)!!!

Alrighty, so I've searched far and wide, and have found my Seong-Jae Yoon & Malcolm Khalaji <333!!! Seriously, I put quite a bit of time searching for my perfect men AND the perfect pictures :-D!!! I think this model and this actor both absolutely epitomize these MCs :-D to an uber T :-D!! The actor I've chosen to portray Khalaji is Italian, but that makes him Mediterranean, so he qualifies - HA!! I mean seriously, he LOOKS LIKE
Bev
A really good start to this serialised murder mystery from Cole, this particular episode being quite grisly and gruesome , and the next one of which CRIMINAL INTENTIONS: Junk Shop Blues: Season One, Episode Two comes out on the 8th August. 4.25 stars from me.

Just so we are clear, there is NO romance in this story...yet [she says hopefully]. There is huge potential mind you, as both MC's [Baltimore police detective Malcolm and import from LA Seong-Jae] are circling around each other, and even
Claude
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Yoon:

His way of talking. Jesus. I love him.

Detective Khalaji

I'm so curious about him. And he's HOT.

HTF this two are going to end together? I'm so excited!

The investigation part is really really interesting and look so real most of the time. I was so curious about the murderer (it's rare for me haha). The interrogations, the researches: I love it. It's so rare to find an M/M romance with good investigation which is not relegated to the background.

The attraction between these two:
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew by: ⚣Michaelle⚣
Shelves: kindle, tag-reviewed
A book is a good read if I think it's a good read. And this?--this was a good read.

The plot is Grand Guignol to the max (have a strong cup of tea to hand for some scenes) and it bowls along at pace, so it's only in retrospect I thought about the holes. The murderer was able to do that? How? Just how?! Intriguingly, there's a hint of an overarching series plot too.

What will take me on to book two and beyond though, is not the plot, but a terrific pair of MCs - both with secrets, both with flaws -
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full RTC.

Wow, wow, what a ride. I loved every minute I spent on this book & its thrilling content.

You definitely should read the CW and TW, ask yourself if you're capable to endure it.
It was heavy stuff but the way Cole McCade executed it totally captured you.
Not just the crime case but the interaction between Malcolm Khalaji and Seong-Jae Yoon.
5 out of 5 stars.
Ulysses Dietz
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Criminal Intentions: The Cardigans (season one, episode one)
By Cole McCade
Published by the author, 2018
Five stars

Good lord, am I going to get sucked into a massive thirteen-part m/m murder-detective series?

This was gruesome, and explicitly so. The author presents a whole list of triggers up front, for which I was ultimately grateful, since I wasn’t totally surprised by what the book has between its virtual covers. However, McCade’s first book is not the frantic sort of roller-coaster of emotion
Al *the semi serial series skipper*

The murder mystery was interesting but the killer on the other hand was just not believable. I mean C'mon.

This was an Ok read for me, I will be checking out the rest of the series and I hope they are better than this.
Nat ReadingAllNite
Thank goodness for social media or I might have missed out on this author! This was a stunningly good thriller, with enough police procedural flavor for my taste but focusing on the action and characters of the detectives. Malcolm Khalaji is thrown together with Seong-Jae Yoon, who is new to the department but senior in rank, when a young gay man is found brutally murdered. They also catch the case since both men are queer, which smacks of discrimination but has them invested in solving it. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Declination (Borealis Investigations, #3)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Tallowwood
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • When the Devil Drives (Death and the Devil, #1.6)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Bargaining with the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1.4)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Devil in the Details (Death and the Devil, #1.8)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
Slender. Angry. (Part) Asian.

Yeah, that about sums me up.

Hi. I’m Cole. Xen. Whatever you want to call me; both are true, and both are lies. My pen names are multitudes, my nicknames legion. Tall, bi/queer, introverted author of a brown-ish persuasion made up of various flavors of Black, Asian, and Native American. I’m cuter than Hello Kitty, more bitter than the blackest coffee, and able to trip

Criminal Intentions: Season One (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • The Man with the Glass Eye (Criminal Intentions: Season One #3)
  • Changing Faces (Criminal Intentions: Season One #4)
  • It's Witchcraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #5)
  • Where There’s Smoke (Criminal Intentions: Season One #6)
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Collateral Damage (Criminal Intentions: Season One, #8)
  • A Single Bright Candle's Flame (Criminal Intentions: Season One #9)
  • Backdraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #10)
  • Crescendo (Criminal Intentions: Season One #11)
“He was a single captured moment, a stillness amidst the chaos and noise, a dark ghost in the world of the living. Monochrome in his paleness and dark clothing, standing poised as if the crow would take flight—or the spirit would fade away, as dead as the boy lying blank and empty on the pavement.” 4 likes
“When looking across the horizon the world had a way of expanding, broadening beyond the tight narrow confines of the little boxes of pain humans tended to wall themselves into.” 1 likes