Start by marking “Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook

Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook

A collection of 130 easy, flavor-forward recipes from beloved chef Yotam Ottolenghi.

In Ottolenghi Simple, powerhouse author and chef Yotam Ottolenghi presents 130 streamlined recipes packed with his signature Middle Eastern-inspired flavors. Each dish can be made in 30 minutes or less, with 10 or fewer ingredients, in a single pot, using pantry staples, or prepared ahead of time fo
Published October 16th 2018 by Ten Speed Press (first published September 6th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Ottolenghi Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottolenghi Simple

Start your review of Ottolenghi Simple: A Cookbook
Jennie
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, cookbooks
I pre-ordered this book, because Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes are almost always huge successes for me. I like his sense of flavor and some of the surprising combinations he comes up with. I thought this book would be perfect for weeknight cooking. Unfortunately, I find the recipes aren't so much "simple" as "less complicated, sometimes, but also frequently less flavorful".

First, the good. I do like that he lays out his criteria and has a SIMPLE acronym to advise which recipes meet whic
Shipshapeeatworthy
Yotam Ottolenghi is a person who has changed the way people view food. Difficult to categorize, his style works on the premise that food is all about flavour and unorthodox combinations (prior to receiving Ottolenghi Simple I had made one of his recipes from an earlier cookbook -- Roasted Brussels Sprouts w/ Pomelo and Star Anise -- if this is not an unorthodox pairing, I'm not sure what is! But what I can say is that it was a flavor memory my mouth won't soon forget).

His food is ele
Matt
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
Yotam Ottolenghi’s most recent cookbook, SIMPLE, provides some pretty great recipes to fit a more practical style of cooking depending on the recipe: Short on time; Ingredients 10 or less; Make ahead; Pantry-based; Lazy; Easier than you think. Ottolenghi’s Plenty is one of my go-to cookbooks with its heavily seasoned, though sometimes finicky, vegetarian dishes, several of which have become staples in our home, so I was very curious to explore recipes of his in a slightly pared down form.
A samp
Caitlin Hawksley
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Sections: Brunch; Raw Veg; Cooked Veg; Rice, Grains, and Pulses; Noodles and Pasta; Meat; Seafood; Dessert

Pros: Just. Wow. I borrowed this cookbook from the library, expecting to get maybe a week's worth of meals out of it, but I got two weeks' worth, and I want to keep trying more recipes. Every. Single. Recipe. Was SO solid. Great flavors, great techniques, great challenges. Lots of beautiful photos.

Cons: I know the title of the book is "Ottolenghi Simple," and, readers might not realize unti/>/>
Graeme Roberts
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my desert island cookbook, as long as the island has a store selling a profusion of fresh vegetables, fruits, and Middle Eastern, Asian, and Italian ingredients. I certainly haven't cooked all the dishes, which might take a year or two, but reading them was a torturous experience as I drooled onto my virtual silk tie.

I can honestly say that not a single dish, from Raw Veg to Dessert was less than delicious. I could taste them in my culinary imagination! Their simplicity, crea
Savanna
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has my minty baked rice with pomegranate and olive relish, which I make at least once every few months. It's incredible. The majority of this cookbook is vegetables in new and surprising ways.

I really love the S-I-M-P-L-E concept. L-- Lazy cooking-- is my favorite, since it mostly involves throwing things into a pot or a pan and let it simmer away.
BrittKay
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Ottolenghi did it again! I have yet to make a bad meal out of any of his cookbooks. This one is even better than the others because the recipes are, in fact, simple. This past Tuesday, in anticipation of Thanksgiving, we made EIGHT dishes! Each one was fantastic. Now I’m hungry...
Laurel
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I have made so far has been delicious and loved by the entire family. Can't wait to make dinner tonight! Later this afternoon, starting a batch of preserved lemons.... and who knows, black garlic may be next.
Sjancourtz
The first few books--Ottolenghi, Jerusalem, and Plenty--were all packed with delicious recipes for beautiful foods. I own them all and use them all, and have rated them Five Stars here and elsewhere. I love them, truly.

But this one? I am only interested in making four dishes, and that's because they're much like other recipes from previous books. A lot of dishes use rose harissa, which I don't like at all. Other herb and spice combinations are a bit lengthy for a cookbook that bills itself as "
Molly
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I rarely buy cookbooks, but Ottolenghi recipes have proven to consistently be delicious, and this book recognizes that his usual recipes are a tad on the "where am I even going to find that and why does he assume everyone has rosewater and sumac in their pantry" variety. There are some really promising ones in here- and the "simple" method is nice for recognizing that sometimes you have lots of time, but don't want to get a bunch of ingredients; or maybe vice versa. I guess I will update when I' ...more
Tamra
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, very attractive cookbooks from Ottolenghi. But sadly for my location and stage of life, it is more of a coffee table book. I’d give a lot to eat at his restaurant though!
Kayo
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think the title is misleading. Not simple in any way. Disappointing.
Juli Anna
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Yet another fantastic cookbook from a true cookbook star. These recipes are fresh, simple weeknight fare with no trendy distractions and only well chosen flavors. Most ingredients are easy to come by, and the photos are truly perfect. I've already made a dish from this and intend to make many more!
Maureen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I've enjoyed Ottolenghi's other cookbooks, but this one actually is simple. I've made two recipes and friends made two others - all were delicious. I borrowed this from my library, but it's going in my shopping bag. imo, it's worthy of shelf space in my little kitchen.
Anand Ganapathy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ourlibrary
Simple yet exciting recipes as the title indicates . Brilliant and colourful photos . need to try out the recipes next .
Kent District Library
Join us for an informal discussion about cookbooks and sample delectable examples, potluck style. Stop by the branch for more details. This month's selection is Ottolenghi Simple by Yotam Ottolenghi. Discussion will take place at Kent District Library's Lowell Branch, on August 26, 2019 from 6:30-7:30 pm.
Jill Kandel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, 2019
I will use this book again and again!

S: Short on time
I: Ingredients less than 10
M: Make ahead
P: Pantry-led
L: Lazy day dishes
E: Easier than you think

GENIUS. Great recipes. Yummy. Easy.
Lisa Holmen
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great simple recipes which are 10 ingredients or less. Have already cooked a few of these and love it.
Margaret
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am completely biased as I think Yotam Ottolenghi is currently the most influential food writer, recipe developer and chef. His name has become synonymous with a style of food that beloved fans instantly recognise. He has, through each of his books Plenty, Plenty More, Jerusalem and now Simple, taken us on a culinary journey through the Mediterranean mostly making vegetables the hero. He has introduced us to delicious ingredients, foods and flavors and most importantly has made them delicious a ...more
Sharon
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SIMPLE : Short on time, Ingredients: 10 or less, Make ahead, Pantry, Lazy, Easier than you think! Simple.

Have all the books except the Sweet as we don’t eat dessert unless out somewhere. They are amazing cookery books and like fabulous reference books to the cuisines mixed therein. BUT often way too difficult and complicated for me, a home cook. Simple is exactly the answer. Amazing approachable and very doable cookery with great ingredients and truly delicious results. Cannot recomm
Saba
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yotam Ottolenghi’s new book, SIMPLE consists of 120 recipes that require minimal hassle for maximum joy.

My top three thoughts on 'Ottolenghi SIMPLE':
1. I first heard of Ottolenghi on MasterChef Australia. I came across his shop in London which was very close to where I lived. Unfortunately for me, every single time I passed by the place it was overflowing with people. I didn't get the hype, I don't think I will until I actually taste his food FROM his shop. But judging by his a
Michelle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review copy provided by the publisher

Yotam Ottolenghi’s streak is unbroken: SIMPLE delivers delicious, accessible, quintessentially Ottolenghi dishes for the home cook

In Yotam Ottolenghi's latest cookbook, OTTOLENGHI SIMPLE, the simple isn’t just a euphemism for “everyday” or “weeknight cooking” or “30 minutes or less.” SIMPLE is the system underlying the recipes. Short on time, 10 Ingredients or less, Make ahead, Pantry, Lazy or Easier Than You Think. It’s up to you to choose based on your cookin/>Yotam
Michelle Mallette
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my full review here.
This is my first review of a cookbook by England's Yotam Ottolenghi. I hadn't heard of him but spotted this on our library's new book shelf and decided to give it a try. He's apparently a big hit in Canada. His middle eastern influences on fresh produce result in tasty and flavourful dishes. The SIMPLE approach says it's for everyday cooking but you'll need to stock the pantry with a couple of key items. Worth it! The 130+ recipes are simple and quick, divided into eight se
Robert Hudder
There is always something to take away from Ottolenghi's books. This one would be good for someone starting out wanting to make decent nutritious food in a Middle Eastern style. The ideas and standouts for me, personally, were:
Cauliflower "tabbouleh" (p.46), Pumpkin, saffron and orange soup (p.54), Roasted whole cauliflower (p.94 for the technique), chraimeh sauce (p.104), whole-roasted celery root with coriander seed oil (p.128), Honey and yogurt set cheesecake (p.208) and Brunsli chocol
Alexa
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, 2019
I thought that since I loved Ottolenghi's previous book (Sweet), I'd also like this one, but nothing could have been further from the truth.

My main problem was the fact that I didn't have full ingredients to make even one recipe! (And I have a pretty well stocked pantry!)

Every single recipe had at least one spice or ingredient that was far from standard western fare: Harissa, Za'atar, Sumac, pome
Valerie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is gorgeous - beautiful pictures, nice paper with lovely font, delicious and intriguing recipes... All the things that suck me into a cookbook. I borrowed this from the library with the intention of purchasing...

However, not my style. I prefer to only keep cookbooks that I use frequently, or need as backup (ahem, The Food Lab - swoon!). Admittedly, I'm a simple cook - I love recipes that have 10 or less ingredients (including oil, salt and pepper!) and generally call for th
Tangentgirl
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The recipes in this book are delicious. They have put a different spin on my cooking, and I'm grateful for them. I keep finding something new and enjoyable and really loving it.

"Simple," however, is quite relative. If your name is Yotam Ottolenghi and you own a restaurant in London, these recipes are simple, woohoo! If you compare them to recipes in other Ottolenghi books, then "less complicated than its siblings" is accurate, sure. If you are thinking you can open this book and whip something
Frances Pope
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading the Introduction to this recipe book I was initially confused, until I realised that it assumed I knew who and what Ottolenghi is. It expected me to find the idea of a "simple Ottolengi" recipe hilariously oxymoronic. But I got this book as a Christmas present, and have never heard of an Ottolenghi.

I am now determined to spend the rest of my life making sure I never find out who Ottolengi is or what he/she looks like.

The idea of the book is simple recipes:
S = short on time<
Chris Williams
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another exceptional cookbook by one of my favourite chefs. I've got Ottolenghi's NOPI: The Cookbook, which is aimed at the 'pro-sumer'/more proficient chef and it's one of my favourites, many of whose recipes are on regular rotation. The same care, expertise and creativity is evident in Simple. This cookbook is great for anyone who likes to cook amazing food but doesn't know how to create their own recipes, or lacks a bit of confidence in the kitchen. Recipes are categorised into all the areas y ...more
Lucy H
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery, non-fiction
The latest Yotam Ottolenghi cookbook makes great play of the reduced ingredients list for the recipes.

This is possibly daunting if you aren't familiar with previous Ottolenghi books which need dozens of ingredients, some seemingly only available on line or from specialist groceries. SIMPLE has a list of basics which are needed for the recipes, and I have found all of them in local (rural) supermarkets.

So far we've made several of the baked rice recipes, a white fish and c
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Everyday Dorie: The Way I Cook
  • Milk Street: Tuesday Nights: More than 200 Simple Weeknight Suppers that Deliver Bold Flavor, Fast
  • Season: Big Flavors, Beautiful Food
  • Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus  + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers
  • Israeli Soul: Easy, Essential, Delicious
  • Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks
  • Sister Pie: The Recipes and Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit [a Baking Book]
  • Zaitoun: Recipes from the Palestinian Kitchen
  • At My Table: A Celebration of Home Cooking
  • Comfort in an Instant: 75 Comfort Food Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker, and Instant Pot(r) a Cookbook
  • Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • The Green Roasting Tin: Vegan and Vegetarian One Dish Dinners
  • Solo: A Modern Cookbook for a Party of One
  • Zahav: A World of Israeli Cooking
  • Jamie Cooks Italy
  • Dinner for Everyone: 100 Iconic Dishes Made 3 Ways--Easy, Vegan, or Perfect for Company: A Cookbook
  • All About Cake
  • Dining In: Highly Cookable Recipes
Yotam Ottolenghi's path to the world of cooking and baking has been anything but straightforward. Having completed a Masters degree in philosophy and literature whilst working on the news desk of an Israeli daily, he made a radical shift on coming to London in 1997. He started as an assistant pastry chef at the Capital and then worked at Kensington Place and Launceston Place, where he ran the past ...more