Start by marking “My Lovely Wife” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  39,956 ratings  ·  5,875 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN 9780451491725

Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith in this wildly compulsive debut thriller about a couple whose fifteen-year marriage has finally gotten too interesting...

Our love story is simple. I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams, and our darkest secrets. And then
Published March 26th 2019 by Berkley Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    INSTANT #1 INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER

#1 Library Reads, IndieNext, and Amazon Best of the Month in Thriller!

Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith in this

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 13010 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 01 - Jan 20, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about My Lovely Wife, please sign up.
    Angela
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  39,956 ratings  ·  5,875 reviews

Start your review of My Lovely Wife
    Lala BooksandLala
    Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: thriller-mystery
    I loved this nasty little book.
    Deanna
    Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Wow! What a read!

I had no idea what to expect after reading the description for this novel. However, I knew I had to read it, and once I started, there was no going back.

Dark, disturbing, and so very clever. This novel really was impossible to put down.

The book opens with a man approaching a woman in a bar. He slides his phone towards her, and she reads the message he has typed on it…

“Hello. My name is Tobias”

She is unsure
    Susanne  Strong
    4.75* Sinful Stars! (rounded up)

A Brand of Crazy All its Own.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid! Next time your neighbor or someone else smiles at you, perhaps you should just look away. Catching their eye could be extremely dangerous.

Me: Smiling wickedly as I read: “I love this, but it is vile! I really shouldn’t be liking this so much, I mean, it’s so not right, but I just can’t help my darn self!"

Me: Laughing mischievously, “Oh my gosh, is this actually happening? I cannot believe she just
    Melissa
    Mar 28, 2019 added it
    Shelves: dnf, not-for-me
    There's no denying I'm one tough customer or a picky chick as I've so lovingly dubbed myself. Being the lone misfit who can't seem to get in line with a book everyone else is awarding high ratings is proof positive. At 110 pages in, I have no choice but to jump ship. The “shocking revelations” I’ve encountered thus far aren’t enough to overcome the husband’s bland delivery. Or more candidly, I'm bored. Maybe I’ll give Millicent’s husband another opportunity to amuse me with tales of his *lovely ...more
    Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
    Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Five Crazy Solid Stars

I am not going to get into very much of this plot. I went into this book blindly and suggest you do the same. It was a big surprise. Millicent and her husband have two children and live in the suburb. They seem to be a normal family like everyone else in the neighborhood. They get very bored in their fifteen year old marriage, which is very dysfunctional. They want to thrill their marriage up and they are hiding very dark secrets to keep their marriage alive.

This is one
    Holly
    I have a lot of things to say about this book, none of them good, pretty much all of it is a spoiler. Some people really enjoyed this book so consider that before deciding to spoil this book's entire plot by reading my ridiculously (and uncharacteristically) long spoiler below:

(view spoiler)
    Julie
    Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019
    My Lovely Wife is a 2019 Berkley publication.

Sly, witty, and brilliant!!

The tile, cover, and intriguing synopsis for this book made it sound too good to pass up- and it was!!

The premise is mostly original, as a husband and wife and their two children enjoy ,what appears on the surface, to be a nice normal, healthy, family life. However, this married couple, instead of engaging in a little role play to spice up their marriage- indulge in a little murder on the side instead.

The husband, who
    Kaceey
    4.5

Be prepared to be shocked!

If only I could give you a broader glimpse of what this book is about. Unfortunately, nearly everything I’d want to share would end up being a spoiler! So friends…less is more!

Millicent and her husband are living the typical suburban life. Both work, while raising two children. And of course, trying to keep up with the Jones’. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.
    However, their “extracurricular activities” are, oh… a bit different than you and me (at least I hope so!)
    Meredith
    Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss

My Lovely Wife is a f*ed up psychological thriller about a husband and wife’s extremely interesting fetish!

A couple married for 15 years takes up an unusual “hobby” to keep the spark alive. While their plan works to help their marriage, it can only work for so long before they are exposed. In order to keep having their secret “date nights,” they concoct an elaborate scheme resulting in a masterful game of cat and mouse.

My Lovely Wife is an ADDICTIVE and TWISTED read that held
    BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
    4.5 twisted, dark and thrillingly fun stars - I absolutely LOVED Samantha Downing's My Lovely Wife

I am a Dexter fan - both the books and the television show so this book filled a definite void for me. Man meets woman. Man and woman fall in love, get married and have kids. Happily ever after becomes routine and a bit mundane.

How do you liven things up and bring back the excitement and intensity of falling in love? Well you'll simply have to read the book to find out. I will tell you that you
    j e w e l s
    Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    FIVE STARS
    Facetune-26-02-2019-10-20-23

MY LOVELY WIFE, my lovely knife, my lovely nightmare come true….aaaahhhh! You guys know how much I love a literary serial killer, but this is the first time I’ve read about TWO killers married to each other. You know, as in wedded bliss. Perfect harmony. Until death do they part. Get ready to be shocked. You are about to enter cray-cray town.

The lovely cover should be blasted with a lovely warning label: DO NOT START READING UNLESS YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO FINISH TONIGHT. It is
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4 what the hell did I just read stars!
    Welcome to your crazy train ride ! Your destination is a suburban town, meet with this lovely family, party of four. A lovely real estate agent wife, a tennis instructor husband and their smart and beautiful kids. Nope, nothing as it seems. You’re about to meet to one of the dysfunctional families. Not Shameless, Weeds tv series kinda dysfunctional. This couple suffers from their daily routines and responsibilities of the their marriage. Never ending bill
    Cindy Pham
    Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I really enjoyed binging this! It was so fun learning more about this twisted couple and seeing the storyline flip between past and present to develop the characters and how their relationship came to be. It’s fast-paced, easy to read, and made me want to guess what would happen next. Even though I was able to predict the plot twist, I still think how the author weaved together the story makes it engaging to read.
    Crumb
    Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

There are three things you should know about Millicent.

1. She fills a room with her charisma and beauty
    2. She's a perfectionist
    and
    3. She's a psycho

This book surprised me in the best way. I couldn't put it down. I was actually having a conversation with a friend the other day, and I remember saying "if you aren't gasping at every turn and you keep taking breaks, than why are you reading it?" I may hold my books to a fairly high standard, but why shouldn't I? There are way too many stories out
    Dita
    Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    Um. What in the actual...?

This book is a generous slice of crazy and I loved it. Our unnamed protagonist and his Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs wife shake off suburban boredom by murdering local women.

It gets crazier from there.

Ridiculously good, "unputdownable" thriller; go read this book!
    marilyn
    I was lucky enough to win My Lovely Wife in a Goodreads Giveaway. I knew the book was about a couple that murders and that the book had really good reviews but I didn't know much more. Recently I read the book with JuJu and Gail and what a fun way to read a book like this one. There are so many twists, turns, and shocks that I could not put this book down. Every chapter ended with me wanting to find out what happened next. There was just one shock after another and it was fun to get to share my ...more
    Felicia
    Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    *deep breathing to calm myself so I can write this review*

Ok so when I got this book in the mail I literally jumped up and down while holding it to my chest....aaaaannnd I may have squealed just a little bit. My boyfriend thinks I'm a nutcase.

Samantha Downing's debut novel is de-friggin-licious.

Since the description for this story gives practically nothing away, I don't want to spoil the readers experience whatsoever with a detailed review.

The prose is precise and to the point, never once
    Joey R.
    Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
    2.0 Stars—- I don’t think I have ever read a book this demented and warped nor do I ever want to read one like it again. This book’s basic premise is so ridiculous it ruins a well written book that could have been enjoyable. The author makes the mistake of making the two main characters ( including the narrator) so diabolical that the reader is left with no one to root for. Millicent and her unnamed husband are the typical family with two kids, two jobs and the normal problems you might expect ...more
    Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
    OMG OMG OMG!!! Yes I am speechless as I finished up my most anticipated book of the year! It not only lived up to my expectations, it far exceeded them! Whew, how is this a debut? I mean really I am floored that this is Samantha Downing's first book. New thriller queen in the house!

I am going to try my hardest not to give anything away, just know you really need to read this. This is one of the most unique and well spun thriller plots I have come across and believe me I have read plenty. Don't
    Lindsay - Traveling Sister
    5 stars! Thrilling, edgy and addictive!

I am in shock that this was a debut novel! Wow – Samatha Downing – I am very impressed!

This is a truly unforgettable story that will stay with me long after I have written this review. This book lived up to and, for me, surpassed the hype surrounding it. I won’t give any plot details as I think it’s best to go in blind. The narration was skillfully executed. The flow and pace were smooth, precise and consistent – kept me on my toes from start to finish.
    Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy......Samantha Downing is joining us March 2, 2020 @7:00 pm EST in our Behind the Pages group for a spoiler-free Q & A. If you haven't read this one yet we highly recommend. The paperback edition releases March 3, 2020.

You can find our Behind the Pages with The Traveling Friends group here:

Thrilling, mind-blowing & highly compulsive!

Oh my goodness this book definitely deserves my favourite wowza saying and I am absolutely
    Holly  B
    Definitely a different kind of marriage...

Millicent and her husband are anything, but your normal couple. Their secrets are out of the normal realm (truly dark secrets). They may look like the perfect couple, but in this case, looks are deceiving, very deceiving!

They have been married for years and have two children. The family dynamics are off the charts with Millicent at the forefront running things her way. More like her way or the highway! You could call her a "controlling" wife. She
    Theresa Alan
    Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    WOW! 5 big stars exclamation point. I went into this book without knowing anything about it. Right away I was intrigued. By the end of chapter one I was super intrigued. And I didn’t have to read all that much more before I started wondering what was wrong with me that I found this book, which I should have found way more deeply disturbing than I did, very readable and fast-paced. Seriously, I had to speed-read the ending because this is such a thrill-fest.

This story is demented and unbelievably
    Brenda -Traveling Sister
    Samantha Downing is joining us March 2, 2020 @7: 00 pm EST in our Behind the Pages for a spoiler-free Q & A. If if you haven't read this one we highly recommend. The paperback edition releases March 3, 2020.

We read My Lovely Wife with two of our reading groups and this one left us all cheering with excitement after finishing this one. We hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did. If you haven't read it it's one we highly recommend not to miss out on as it is just that fantastic. It's a top
    Debra
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss
    I'm flat in the middle of the road on this one. With the tagline of Dexter meets Mr. & Mrs. Smith, I knew what I was getting into and it sounded right up my alley. The problem is- I've been in this alley before. I'm quite familiar with the alley and for that reason this book failed to really "wow" or "shock" me. Just hearing about "H" I thought " I bet it's the other way around..." then we meet "H" and well.... I also had my theory on how this book would end - obviously not all the details, ...more
    Tammy
    Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Pure evil beneath the facade of suburban comfort. I was encouraged by my GR friend Susanne to read this and despite my weariness with thrillers, I will admit that this works. If thrillers are you thing....go for it.
    Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
    It's my favorite time of year! The time of year when the weather finally stops being hot as balls and all the creepy stuff is all over. You don't even get judged for being a fangirl of the monsters under the bed!

But most of the books I've read have been mostly not my normal October read fest. *sad face*

So I needed something...….

And this one delivers!!!

It's told from the husband's point of view. How he met the lovely lady and they fell deeply in the lurrvvee. Then they realize that they share
    Berit☀️✨
    Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019, book-besties, arc
    WOW WOW WOW this book was CRAZY WILD!!!

Samantha Downing has constructed a highly addictive, deeply disturbing debut. This book was simply brilliant! Truly the next level of crazy! Mind blowing and mesmerizing, I could not put this book down! Such an absorbing read that will completely suck you in from that very first page! Oh how can a book that is so very wrong be so very right!?!?

This is the “love story” of a couple who has been married for 15 years... in order to spice things up in the
    KAS
    Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Completely and Captivatingly Cray-Cray!!

To what lengths would you go to impress the one you love? Would you do the unthinkable just because you are so infatuated? Would you do it over and over again just for the thrill of it?

Good golly, I enjoyed this thriller. It isn’t the scary type compelling you to sleep with the lights on, or has you jumping at every little sound. No, this one gets inside your thought process begging you to workout scenarios in your head as to how all the lunacy
    Michelle
    Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
    I have seen a lot of positive reviews coming in for My Lovely Wife and I'm hear to tell you that the hype is real! This book is so much fun!!!

What happens when two people fall in love, get married, have children, and then decide to spice up their life with a rather unusual extra-curricular activity? The body count rises. That's what happens.

This is a twisty little book so I'm not going to discuss the plot but I will say *THAT ENDING*, whoa! That ending was everything I was hoping for. Samantha

• The Mother-in-Law
    • The Better Sister
    • The Night Olivia Fell
    • The Chain
    • The Perfect Wife
    Samantha Downing currently lives in New Orleans, where she is furiously typing away on her next book.
    “But I keep my mouth shut, because that’s what friends do. We don’t point out each other’s faults unless asked.” 4 likes
    “My name is not Tobias. I use that name only when I want someone to remember me. In this case, the bartender. I introduced myself and typed out my name when I first walked in and ordered a drink. He will remember me. He will remember that Tobias is the deaf man who left the bar with a woman he just met. The name was for his benefit, not Petra’s. She will remember me anyway, because how many deaf guys could she have slept with?” 3 likes