Start by marking “My Lovely Wife” as Want to Read:
My Lovely Wife

My Lovely Wife

Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith in this wildly compulsive debut thriller about a couple whose fifteen-year marriage has finally gotten too interesting...

Our love story is simple. I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams, and our darkest secrets. And then we got bored.

We look like a normal couple. W
Expected publication: March 26th 2019 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about My Lovely Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lovely Wife

Susanne Strong
4.75* Sinful Stars! (rounded up)

A Brand of Crazy All its Own.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid! Next time your neighbor or someone else smiles at you, perhaps you should just look away. Catching their eye could be extremely dangerous.

Me: Smiling wickedly as I read: “I love this, but it is vile! I really shouldn’t be liking this so much, I mean, it’s so not right, but I just can’t help my darn self!"

Me: Laughing mischievously, “Oh my gosh, is this actually happening? I cannot believe she just did
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
4.5⭐

Be prepared to be shocked!😳

If only I could give you a broader glimpse of what this book is about. Unfortunately, nearly everything I’d want to share would end up being a spoiler! So friends…less is more!

Millicent and her husband are living the typical suburban life. Both work, while raising two children. And of course, trying to keep up with the Jones’. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.
However, their “extracurricular activities” are, oh… a bit different than you and me (at least I hope so
Felicia
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*deep breathing to calm myself so I can write this review*

Ok so when I got this book in the mail I literally jumped up and down while holding it to my chest....aaaaannnd I may have squealed just a little bit. My boyfriend thinks I'm a nutcase.

Samantha Downing's debut novel is de-friggin-licious.

Since the description for this story gives practically nothing away, I don't want to spoil the readers experience whatsoever with a detailed review.

The prose is precise and to the point, never once get
Larry H
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

4.5, maybe 4.75 stars, rounded up!

If you're looking for a heartwarming love story, a tale of two people whose marriage is so full of love and devotion...find another book. This was one crazy, tension-filled, suspenseful book that had me shaking my head and wondering what would come next!

On the surface, they seem like the perfect family. He is a tennis pro at the local country club, she is a successful, high-end real estate agent. They have two teenage kids who play sports, do reasonably well in
Theresa Alan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! 5 big stars exclamation point. I went into this book without knowing anything about it. Right away I was intrigued. By the end of chapter one I was super intrigued. And I didn’t have to read all that much more before I started wondering what was wrong with me that I found this book, which I should have found way more deeply disturbing than I did, very readable and fast-paced. Seriously, I had to speed-read the ending because this is such a thrill-fest.

This story is demented and unbelievably
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
It's my favorite time of year! The time of year when the weather finally stops being hot as balls and all the creepy stuff is all over. You don't even get judged for being a fangirl of the monsters under the bed!

But most of the books I've read have been mostly not my normal October read fest. *sad face*

So I needed something...….

And this one delivers!!!

It's told from the husband's point of view. How he met the lovely lady and they fell deeply in the lurrvvee. Then they realize that they share a
Crumb
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

There are three things you should know about Millicent.
1. She fills a room with her charisma and beauty
2. She's a perfectionist
and
3. She's a psycho

This book surprised me in the best way. I couldn't put it down. I was actually having a conversation with a friend the other day, and I remember saying "if you aren't gasping at every turn and you keep taking breaks, than why are you reading it?" I may hold my books to a fairly high standard, but why shouldn't I? There are way too many stories out the
Tammy
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pure evil beneath the facade of suburban comfort. I was encouraged by my GR friend Susanne to read this and despite my weariness with thrillers, I will admit that this works. If thrillers are you thing....go for it.
Katie B
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

Given the premise and the twisted characters it feels weird to say this was a fun book, but it really was super entertaining! I would catch myself smiling at certain parts and at one point I even had an out loud "Ha!" type moment. I don't know what this says about me but hopefully it just means I'm a totally normal person who just happens to like books that feature completely messed up individuals.

So if you liked the show Dexter, I would recommend checking this book out. It's about a hu
Jilly
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers, mystery
Yeah, you're gonna wanna read this one if you liked Dexter and Gone Girl. But, the best part is that the ending doesn't suck like Dexter's ending. I mean, seriously, writers of the show, what were you thinking? First you teach us how to kill and dispose of a body and then you turn around and disappoint your entire viewing audience? Not smart, guys.

But we aren't okay with this. Not. At. All.

Also, like Dexter, we have the man narrating what is going on throughout the story. You end up liking him,
Carol (Bookaria)
Well, crazy meets crazier and then fell in love.

These characters have left me speechless. The novel engaged me from the beginning and I loved the fast-paced plot, dark personalities, and their twisted secrets.

All I can say without getting into spoilers is what’s revealed on the synopsis, this couple has committed murder and gotten away with it. The more I read, the more captivated I felt by the story. The novel is entertaining in a very twisted sort of way.

Overall, I loved it and highly recommen
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Did I marry a psychopath?”

Stop me if you’ve heard this one . . . .

Yeah, you didn’t stop me because you haven’t read anything like this before. The story here is of Millicent and her husband. She’s a real estate agent, he’s the local tennis pro. They live in a coveted neighborhood with their two teenaged children, Rory and Jenna. Oh, and . . . . .

Everything in their lives has been going swimmingly until the body of one of their v
Shannon
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Berkley for gifting me an advanced copy for my honest review!

Wow guys, My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing was exactly what I was looking for! This story was so refreshing from the typical psychological thriller. It had a slow burn feel to it but by the ending I was SHOOK!

Husband, wife and two charming children live in Hidden Oaks, Florida. She is a real estate agent selling fancy homes and he is a tennis coach. From the outside, everything looks normal but on the inside bet
Marialyce
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
4.5 deliciously devious stars

Today, I am bringing you a review of a thriller that went beyond thrilling. It was a story so bizarre, so out there that you had to utter "Phew" or "Wow! that was so twisted" when the last paragraph was read. So, here it is, the book that will set your expectations ablaze.

Prepare yourself if you plan on reading this one. You have been warned.....
Finding the right person, falling in love, having a family, it all sounds like a dream scenario. It's perfect in every way
Jayme
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You had me at "Dexter"...

When I heard that this story was "Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith", I was sold!

Husband (code name Tobias) and wife, Millicent (redefines the term Femme Fatale) are raising a family in the affluent subdivision called Hidden Oaks.

They follow a strict set of rules to stay connected with each other which include things like eating breakfast and dinner together every day, no toys or phones at the table, and movie night once a week.

And, husband and wife make time for "date n
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book started so good, one of the best starts I've seen lately and I must confess it wasn't bad. However the "twists" was a bit predictable.
Parts in the middle of the book, until the events "took a different turn" the story stalled a bit, but I think overall this was a good thriller and I am glad I read it. It would have been excellent, 5 stars if Millicent was explored and developed a bit more.

3.5 stars rounded to 4 (GR, when are you going to give us the option to give this scores)
Dennis
All of the stars!

No family is perfect and marriage takes effort in order to work. My Lovely Wife introduces us to an unconventional family, living in Hidden Oaks, Florida; where the lines of love, sex, and murder are blurred. A picture perfect couple, but not everything is what it seems. In this exploration of a family's dynamic, My Lovely Wife is a perfect combination of Dexter and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. All marriages have their secrets, but there's just happens to be murder.

UGHHHH I can't tel
Nazanin
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, mystery, thriller
4.5 Stars

The world is filled with things I can’t do and can’t afford, from houses to cars to kitchen equipment, but this, this, is how we can be free. This is the one thing that is ours, that we control.

And you can’t guess how I enjoyed their “this/one thing”!! Oh, I’m not a sicko but you can blame Samantha Downing for it! Her debut novel and such a wonderful one! Told in single POV, 1st person. Well-written, well-paced with short chapters and well-developed characters. It’s a real page-turner,
Norma * Traveling Sister
Thrilling, mind-blowing & highly compulsive!

Oh my goodness this book definitely deserves my favourite wowza saying and I am absolutely thrilled to say that this is probably one of the best thrillers that I have recently read.

Holy Shooty Balls that was some awesome and impressive book!

MY LOVELY WIFE by SAMANTHA DOWNING is an engrossing, suspenseful, dark, twisted, and disturbing psychological thriller that was such an irresistible, fun and thrilling book to read. I was immediately sucked in a
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley, suspense
Ordinary suburban marriage on the surface. Murder for thrills underneath.

It’s creepy and tension-filled, narrated in first person present tense by the husband, who you don’t know whether to sympathize with or despise. Well, actually, I know I should despise him, but author Samantha Downing does a good job of making him at least somewhat sympathetic. He just wants to keep his wife happy, y’all! He’s a considerate husband!

He (I’m pretty sure you never are told his name) adores his wife and kids, e
NZLisaM
Psychological suspense that continuously plays its cards close to its chest!

Meet a husband, and his lovely wife.
From the outside they seem like your typical average American suburbanites
They are parents to two teenagers, a boy and a girl.
They live in a quiet, upscale neighbourhood.
He's a tennis instructor, and she sells real estate.
But, this husband and wife are DEFINITELY NOT your average married couple.
And NEITHER are their date nights

Well, this went above and beyond even what I was expecting.
Judy
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Congratulations to Samantha Downing for a stunning debut novel! My mouth kept dropping open as I read this. What a totally psycho couple! They just deserve each other. This is a twisted psychological thriller that will keep you awake and flipping those pages. The suspense brews slowly and grows as the book progresses.

Millicent and "Tobias" (not his real name - I can't remember ever seeing his real name) have been married for years and have two children. They live in a nice area of town. Unfortu
Nadia
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Lovely Wife, a chilling thriller about a seemingly ordinary family hiding a dark secret, gripped me and never let go!

Despite the slightly far-fetched premise, I really enjoyed reading My Lovely Wife. Samantha Downing definitely knows how to grab her readers' attention. When I thought I knew where the story was headed, I was quickly proved very wrong!

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a fast paced and quick read.

Many thanks to Penguin UK - Michael Joseph and NetGalley for my r
Sherri Thacker
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want a great psychological thriller that you cannot put down, THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU!!! This is one sick, disturbing, intense and twisted thriller!! It’s unlike any psychological book I’ve ever read and i have read a lot of books!!! So much thought and details went into this. This takes the word psychopath to a whole new level!! Where does one think up of this stuff??? And towards the end, an even bigger TWIST!!! Wow! Just wow!!

To be released March 2019.
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4.5 stars! So good!!! Review to come....
Pauline
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review to follow as instructed by the publisher.
Lisa-Books Smiles
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a new book is being described as Dexter meets. Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I was immediately interested in getting my hands on this novel. Wow what a fun book filled with everything I love in a good thriller – twisted characters and a deeply disturbing subject. I was super entertained throughout the entire novel. Must read If you are looking for a fast pace thriller that will make you cringe and at times laugh out loud.

Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for an e-arc in exchange for an honest
Kim ~ Traveling Sister
OMG OMG OMGGGGGGGG.... review to come!
Jillian Doherty
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Familiar, and yet brilliantly refreshing – this psychological twisting thriller is about parents who are both brilliant psychopaths, and heartfelt parents, this amongst many other factors kept me reading late into the night!

With so many psychological reads available, it’s hard to create something new – I was so pleasantly surprised to see this does just that and more!!

Treat yourself to this incredible debut; I’m hoping we have many more from him to sell in the future.

Galley borrowed from the p
Laura Rash
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started this book not sure I wanted to read it bc I thought it might be another couples/generic/domestic thriller. I was SO wrong. A very dysfunctional marriage turns into one of the craziest stories I’ve read in awhile. Draws you in with the first few chapters and then suddenly you’ve read the whole book.
  • Lock Every Door
  • The Night Before
  • Untitled
  • The Lost Night
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • The Mother-in-Law
  • The Last House Guest
I live and work in New Orleans, where I'm trying to stay cool in this southern heat and write my next novel.