Start by marking “My Lovely Wife” as Want to Read:
My Lovely Wife

My Lovely Wife

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  60,706 ratings  ·  8,423 reviews
A couple's fifteen-year marriage has finally gotten too interesting...

Our love story is simple. I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams, and our darkest secrets. And then we got bored.

We look like a normal couple. We're your neighbors, the parents of your kid's friend, the acquaintances you keep m
Published March 26th 2019 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about My Lovely Wife, please sign up.
One Sentence Reviews
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  60,706 ratings  ·  8,423 reviews

Start your review of My Lovely Wife
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this nasty little book.
Holly
I have a lot of things to say about this book, none of them good, pretty much all of it is a spoiler. Some people really enjoyed this book so consider that before deciding to spoil this book's entire plot by reading my ridiculously (and uncharacteristically) long spoiler below:

(view spoiler)
Deanna
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Wow! What a read!

I had no idea what to expect after reading the description for this novel. However, I knew I had to read it, and once I started, there was no going back.

Dark, disturbing, and so very clever. This novel really was impossible to put down.

The book opens with a man approaching a woman in a bar. He slides his phone towards her, and she reads the message he has typed on it…

“Hello. My name is Tobias”

She is unsure
Susanne  Strong
4.75* Sinful Stars! (rounded up)

A Brand of Crazy All its Own.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid! Next time your neighbor or someone else smiles at you, perhaps you should just look away. Catching their eye could be extremely dangerous.

Me: Smiling wickedly as I read: “I love this, but it is vile! I really shouldn’t be liking this so much, I mean, it’s so not right, but I just can’t help my darn self!"

Me: Laughing mischievously, “Oh my gosh, is this actually happening? I cannot believe she just
Melissa
Mar 28, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf, not-for-me
There's no denying, I'm one tough customer. Or a picky chick as I've so lovingly dubbed myself. Being the lone misfit who can't seem to get in line with a book everyone else is awarding high ratings is proof positive. At 110 pages in, I have no choice but to jump ship. The “shocking revelations” I’ve encountered thus far aren’t enough to overcome the husband’s bland delivery. Or more candidly, I'm bored. Maybe I’ll give Millicent’s husband another opportunity to amuse me with tales of his *lovel ...more
Julie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
My Lovely Wife is a 2019 Berkley publication.

Sly, witty, and brilliant!!

The tile, cover, and intriguing synopsis for this book made it sound too good to pass up- and it was!!

The premise is mostly original, as a husband and wife and their two children enjoy ,what appears on the surface, to be a nice normal, healthy, family life. However, this married couple, instead of engaging in a little role play to spice up their marriage- indulge in a little murder on the side instead.

The husband, who ne
Mary Beth
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five Crazy Solid Stars

I am not going to get into very much of this plot. I went into this book blindly and suggest you do the same. It was a big surprise. Millicent and her husband have two children and live in the suburb. They seem to be a normal family like everyone else in the neighborhood. They get very bored in their fifteen year old marriage, which is very dysfunctional. They want to thrill their marriage up and they are hiding very dark secrets to keep their marriage alive.

This is one cra
Nilufer Ozmekik
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 what the hell did I just read stars!

Samantha Downing’s outstanding, smart, entertaining debut thriller keeps you on your toes and makes you cry when you take a look at your nails because you bit them all during your read!

Welcome to your crazy train ride ! Your destination is a suburban town, meet with this lovely family, party of four. A lovely real estate agent wife, a tennis instructor husband and their smart and beautiful kids. Nope, nothing as it seems. You’re about to meet to one of the
Kaceey
4.5⭐️

Be prepared to be shocked!😳

If only I could give you a broader glimpse of what this book is about. Unfortunately, nearly everything I’d want to share would end up being a spoiler! So friends…less is more!

Millicent and her husband are living the typical suburban life. Both work, while raising two children. And of course, trying to keep up with the Jones’. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.
However, their “extracurricular activities” are, oh… a bit different than you and me (at least I hope s
Meredith
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss

My Lovely Wife is a f*ed up psychological thriller about a husband and wife’s extremely interesting fetish!

A couple married for 15 years takes up an unusual “hobby” to keep the spark alive. While their plan works to help their marriage, it can only work for so long before they are exposed. In order to keep having their secret “date nights,” they concoct an elaborate scheme resulting in a masterful game of cat and mouse.

My Lovely Wife is an ADDICTIVE and TWISTED read that he
Miranda Reads
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
description

Another month, another tierlist! While you probably know where this one ranks, check out the BookTube Video to see the rest!
The Written Review:

description

“I wanted to surprise you,” she says. “For our anniversary.”
I stare at her. My lovely wife.
“It’s demented,” I say.
She raises an eyebrow at me. Before she can speak, I put my finger against her lips.
“And it’s brilliant,” I say.”
Some couples have game night, other love to see a movie...this one likes to murder people.
My name i
j e w e l s
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FIVE STARS
Facetune-26-02-2019-10-20-23

MY LOVELY WIFE, my lovely knife, my lovely nightmare come true….aaaahhhh! You guys know how much I love a literary serial killer, but this is the first time I’ve read about TWO killers married to each other. You know, as in wedded bliss. Perfect harmony. Until death do they part. Get ready to be shocked. You are about to enter cray-cray town.

The lovely cover should be blasted with a lovely warning label: DO NOT START READING UNLESS YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO FINISH TONIGHT. It is para
BernLuvsBooks
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 twisted, dark and thrillingly fun stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 - I absolutely LOVED Samantha Downing's My Lovely Wife ❤️

I am a Dexter fan - both the books and the television show so this book filled a definite void for me. Man meets woman. Man and woman fall in love, get married and have kids. Happily ever after becomes routine and a bit mundane.

How do you liven things up and bring back the excitement and intensity of falling in love? Well you'll simply have to read the book to find out. I will tell you
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
We had the pleasure of Samantha Downing joining us in our Behind the Pages Group for a spoiler-free Q & A. She shared some insight into My Lovely Wife and her writing process. To view the Q & A please follow the link

We read My Lovely Wife with two of our reading groups and this one left us all cheering with excitement after finishing this one. We hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did. If you haven't read it it's one we highly recommend not to miss out
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill

**** Yayyyy the paperback edition is out for this book today March 3rd!!! If you haven't read this, what the heck are you waiting for????? Thank you so much to Berkley Publications for having me along on this blog tour- here is my review from last year! I LOVE this book!******

OMG OMG OMG!!! Yes I am speechless as I finished up my most anticipated book of the year! It not only lived up to my expectations, it far exceeded them! Whew, how is this a debut? I mean really I am floored that this is Sam
Cindy Pham
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed binging this! It was so fun learning more about this twisted couple and seeing the storyline flip between past and present to develop the characters and how their relationship came to be. It’s fast-paced, easy to read, and made me want to guess what would happen next. Even though I was able to predict the plot twist, I still think how the author weaved together the story makes it engaging to read.
Dita
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Um. What in the actual...?

This book is a generous slice of crazy and I loved it. Our unnamed protagonist and his Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs wife shake off suburban boredom by murdering local women.

It gets crazier from there.

Ridiculously good, "unputdownable" thriller; go read this book!
Crumb
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

There are three things you should know about Millicent.

1. She fills a room with her charisma and beauty
2. She's a perfectionist
and
3. She's a psycho

This book surprised me in the best way. I couldn't put it down. I was actually having a conversation with a friend the other day, and I remember saying "if you aren't gasping at every turn and you keep taking breaks, than why are you reading it?" I may hold my books to a fairly high standard, but why shouldn't I? There are way too many stories out
Joey R.
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.0 Stars—- I don’t think I have ever read a book this demented and warped nor do I ever want to read one like it again. This book’s basic premise is so ridiculous it ruins a well written book that could have been enjoyable. The author makes the mistake of making the two main characters ( including the narrator) so diabolical that the reader is left with no one to root for. Millicent and her unnamed husband are the typical family with two kids, two jobs and the normal problems you might expect f ...more
marilyn
I was lucky enough to win My Lovely Wife in a Goodreads Giveaway. I knew the book was about a couple that murders and that the book had really good reviews but I didn't know much more. Recently I read the book with JuJu and Gail and what a fun way to read a book like this one. There are so many twists, turns, and shocks that I could not put this book down. Every chapter ended with me wanting to find out what happened next. There was just one shock after another and it was fun to get to share my ...more
Felicia
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*deep breathing to calm myself so I can write this review*

Ok so when I got this book in the mail I literally jumped up and down while holding it to my chest....aaaaannnd I may have squealed just a little bit. My boyfriend thinks I'm a nutcase.

Samantha Downing's debut novel is de-friggin-licious.

Since the description for this story gives practically nothing away, I don't want to spoil the readers experience whatsoever with a detailed review.

The prose is precise and to the point, never once get
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5 stars! Thrilling, edgy and addictive!

I am in shock that this was a debut novel! Wow – Samatha Downing – I am very impressed!

This is a truly unforgettable story that will stay with me long after I have written this review. This book lived up to and, for me, surpassed the hype surrounding it. I won’t give any plot details as I think it’s best to go in blind. The narration was skillfully executed. The flow and pace were smooth, precise and consistent – kept me on my toes from start to finish. Th
Norma
Oh boy oh boy oh boy......Samantha Downing is joining us March 2, 2020 @7:00 pm EST in our Behind the Pages group for a spoiler-free Q & A. If you haven't read this one yet we highly recommend. The paperback edition releases March 3, 2020.

You can find our Behind the Pages with The Traveling Friends group here:

Thrilling, mind-blowing & highly compulsive!

Oh my goodness this book definitely deserves my favourite wowza saying and I am absolutely thrilled to sa
Theresa Alan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! 5 big stars exclamation point. I went into this book without knowing anything about it. Right away I was intrigued. By the end of chapter one I was super intrigued. And I didn’t have to read all that much more before I started wondering what was wrong with me that I found this book, which I should have found way more deeply disturbing than I did, very readable and fast-paced. Seriously, I had to speed-read the ending because this is such a thrill-fest.

This story is demented and unbelievably
Holly  B
Definitely a different kind of marriage...

Millicent and her husband are anything, but your normal couple. Their secrets are out of the normal realm (truly dark secrets). They may look like the perfect couple, but in this case, looks are deceiving, very deceiving!

They have been married for years and have two children. The family dynamics are off the charts with Millicent at the forefront running things her way. More like her way or the highway! You could call her a  "controlling" wife. Sh
Debra
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
I'm flat in the middle of the road on this one. With the tagline of Dexter meets Mr. & Mrs. Smith, I knew what I was getting into and it sounded right up my alley. The problem is- I've been in this alley before. I'm quite familiar with the alley and for that reason this book failed to really "wow" or "shock" me. Just hearing about "H" I thought " I bet it's the other way around..." then we meet "H" and well.... I also had my theory on how this book would end - obviously not all the details, but ...more
David Putnam
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a great ride and from a debut author. She won the Edgar for the best first novel and justifiably so. Excellent point of view, pacing, characters. There is conflict on every page that keeps the story moving. This is a serial killer story with a wonderful twist on a well-used trope. Great imagination. It is difficult to make an antihero that is endearing enough to stay with throughout the heinous things that happen, but I was with the story every step of the way. The author does a master ...more
Tammy
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pure evil beneath the facade of suburban comfort. I was encouraged by my GR friend Susanne to read this and despite my weariness with thrillers, I will admit that this works. If thrillers are you thing....go for it.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
The build up was great but the ending was honestly really disappointing and rushed. Meh
Berit☀️✨
WOW WOW WOW this book was CRAZY WILD!!!

Samantha Downing has constructed a highly addictive, deeply disturbing debut. This book was simply brilliant! Truly the next level of crazy! Mind blowing and mesmerizing, I could not put this book down! Such an absorbing read that will completely suck you in from that very first page! Oh how can a book that is so very wrong be so very right!?!?

This is the “love story” of a couple who has been married for 15 years... in order to spice things up in the relat
YA Buddy Reads Co...: My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing (Starting June 20th 2020) 10 25 Jul 25, 2020 10:49PM
cliffhanger 1 10 Jun 28, 2020 07:19AM
The Book Club for...: January - My Lovely Wife 4 8 May 29, 2020 12:48PM
Current Reads 4 9 May 20, 2020 09:34PM
Play Book Tag: My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing - 3.5 stars 4 15 May 06, 2020 03:01PM

• Lock Every Door
  • The Whisper Man
  • Little Secrets
  • The First Mistake
  • The Guest List
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • The Chain
Samantha Downing is the author of the bestselling My Lovely Wife, nominated for the Edgar, ITW, and Macavity awards for Best Debut Novel. Amazon Studios and Nicole Kidman's Blossom Films have partnered to produce a feature film based on the novel.

Her second novel, He Started It, was released on July 21, 2020.

She currently lives in New Orleans, where she is furiously typing away on her next thrill

Articles featuring this book

“But I keep my mouth shut, because that’s what friends do. We don’t point out each other’s faults unless asked.” 9 likes
“My name is not Tobias. I use that name only when I want someone to remember me. In this case, the bartender. I introduced myself and typed out my name when I first walked in and ordered a drink. He will remember me. He will remember that Tobias is the deaf man who left the bar with a woman he just met. The name was for his benefit, not Petra’s. She will remember me anyway, because how many deaf guys could she have slept with?” 5 likes