Start by marking “My Lovely Wife” as Want to Read:

My Lovely Wife

Our love story is simple. I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams, and our darkest secrets. And then we got bored.

We look like a normal couple.
Expected publication: March 26th 2019 by Berkley Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 26, 2019
    Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith in this wildly compulsive debut thriller about a couple whose fifteen-year marriage has finally gotten too interesting ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 3140 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 01 - Dec 15, 2018

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about My Lovely Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lovely Wife

Susanne Strong
    4.75* Sinful Stars! (rounded up)

A Brand of Crazy All its Own.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid! Next time your neighbor or someone else smiles at you, perhaps you should just look away. Catching their eye could be extremely dangerous.

Me: Smiling wickedly as I read: “I love this, but it is vile! I really shouldn’t be liking this so much, I mean, it’s so not right, but I just can’t help my darn self!"

Me: Laughing mischievously, “Oh my gosh, is this actually happening? I cannot believe she just did
    Kaceey - Traveling Sister
    4.5⭐

Be prepared to be shocked!😳

If only I could give you a broader glimpse of what this book is about. Unfortunately, nearly everything I’d want to share would end up being a spoiler! So friends…less is more!

Millicent and her husband are living the typical suburban life. Both work, while raising two children. And of course, trying to keep up with the Jones’. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.
    However, their “extracurricular activities” are, oh… a bit different than you and me (at least I hope so
    Larry H
    Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley

4.5, maybe 4.75 stars, rounded up!

If you're looking for a heartwarming love story, a tale of two people whose marriage is so full of love and devotion...find another book. This was one crazy, tension-filled, suspenseful book that had me shaking my head and wondering what would come next!

On the surface, they seem like the perfect family. He is a tennis pro at the local country club, she is a successful, high-end real estate agent. They have two teenage kids who play sports, do reasonably well in
    Felicia
    Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    *deep breathing to calm myself so I can write this review*

Ok so when I got this book in the mail I literally jumped up and down while holding it to my chest....aaaaannnd I may have squealed just a little bit. My boyfriend thinks I'm a nutcase.

Samantha Downing's debut novel is de-friggin-licious.

Since the description for this story gives practically nothing away, I don't want to spoil the readers experience whatsoever with a detailed review.

The prose is precise and to the point, never once get
    Theresa Alan
    Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    WOW! 5 big stars exclamation point. I went into this book without knowing anything about it. Right away I was intrigued. By the end of chapter one I was super intrigued. And I didn’t have to read all that much more before I started wondering what was wrong with me that I found this book, which I should have found way more deeply disturbing than I did, very readable and fast-paced. Seriously, I had to speed-read the ending because this is such a thrill-fest.

This story is demented and unbelievably
    Tammy
    Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Pure evil beneath the facade of suburban comfort. I was encouraged by my GR friend Susanne to read this and despite my weariness with thrillers, I will admit that this works. If thrillers are you thing....go for it.
    Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
    It's my favorite time of year! The time of year when the weather finally stops being hot as balls and all the creepy stuff is all over. You don't even get judged for being a fangirl of the monsters under the bed!

But most of the books I've read have been mostly not my normal October read fest. *sad face*

So I needed something...….

And this one delivers!!!

It's told from the husband's point of view. How he met the lovely lady and they fell deeply in the lurrvvee. Then they realize that they share a
    Katie B
    Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

Given the premise and the twisted characters it feels weird to say this was a fun book, but it really was super entertaining! I would catch myself smiling at certain parts and at one point I even had an out loud "Ha!" type moment. I don't know what this says about me but hopefully it just means I'm a totally normal person who just happens to like books that feature completely messed up individuals.

So if you liked the show Dexter, I would recommend checking this book out. It's about a hu
    Shannon
    Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you so much to Berkley for gifting me an advanced copy for my honest review!

Wow guys, My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing was exactly what I was looking for! This story was so refreshing from the typical psychological thriller. It had a slow burn feel to it but by the ending I was SHOOK!

Husband, wife and two charming children live in Hidden Oaks, Florida. She is a real estate agent selling fancy homes and he is a tennis coach. From the outside, everything looks normal but on the inside bet
    Jayme
    Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    You had me at "Dexter"...

When I heard that this story was "Dexter meets Mr. and Mrs. Smith", I was sold!

Husband (code name Tobias) and wife, Millicent (redefines the term Femme Fatale) are raising a family in the affluent subdivision called Hidden Oaks.

They follow a strict set of rules to stay connected with each other which include things like eating breakfast and dinner together every day, no toys or phones at the table, and movie night once a week.

And, husband and wife make time for "date n
    Dennis
    All of the stars!

No family is perfect and marriage takes effort in order to work. My Lovely Wife introduces us to an unconventional family, living in Hidden Oaks, Florida; where the lines of love, sex, and murder are blurred. A picture perfect couple, but not everything is what it seems. In this exploration of a family's dynamic, My Lovely Wife is a perfect combination of Dexter and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. All marriages have their secrets, but there's just happens to be murder.

UGHHHH I can't tel
    Nazanin
    Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2018, mystery, thriller
    4.5 Stars

The world is filled with things I can’t do and can’t afford, from houses to cars to kitchen equipment, but this, this, is how we can be free. This is the one thing that is ours, that we control.

And you can’t guess how I enjoyed their “this/one thing”!! Oh, I’m not a sicko but you can blame Samantha Downing for it! Her debut novel and such a wonderful one! Told in single POV, 1st person. Well-written, well-paced with short chapters and well-developed characters. It’s a real page-turner,
    Marialyce
    Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    4.5 deliciously devious stars

Today, I am bringing you a review of a thriller that went beyond thrilling. It was a story so bizarre, so out there that you had to utter "Phew" or "Wow! that was so twisted" when the last paragraph was read. So, here it is, the book that will set your expectations ablaze.

Prepare yourself if you plan on reading this one. You have been warned.....
    Finding the right person, falling in love, having a family, it all sounds like a dream scenario. It's perfect in every way
    Jillian Doherty
    Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Familiar, and yet brilliantly refreshing – this psychological twisting thriller is about parents who are both brilliant psychopaths, and heartfelt parents, this amongst many other factors kept me reading late into the night!

With so many psychological reads available, it’s hard to create something new – I was so pleasantly surprised to see this does just that and more!!

Treat yourself to this incredible debut; I’m hoping we have many more from him to sell in the future.

Galley borrowed from the p
    Lisa-Books Smiles
    Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    review to come
    Kristen Beverly
    Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Wow wow wow! This book is totally holding up to all the fantastic reviews. It has tons of twists and turns - some of which you can see coming, but more in a foreboding “oh no, this is what’s going to happen next...” stomach drop sort of way. I really enjoyed it & once I picked it up, I could not put it down! Highly recommended for fellow lovers of psychological thrillers.
    Stephanie
    Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

Well, this story was delightfully messed up. My Lovely Wife is compulsively readable with an anti-hero you know you shouldn’t root for, but still do.

This was definitely a fun variation on the serial killer novel. Here the killers are a husband and wife team, though they’re a little lacking on the team aspect. They both have secrets from each other and at various times throughout the story you will be trying to figure out
    Kelley
    Novel received courtesy of Berkley Publishing

This book!! I loved/hated it all the way through! It was the creepiest novel I've read in a long time.

Written from the viewpoint of the husband in a crazy marriage, this novel sucks you right in. Millicent, the wife, is just too perfect. The husband, whose name I can't remember being used, is a tennis coach and has absolutely no backbone. They have two children, of course, a boy and a girl who are each deeply damaged but don't know why. The problem is
    Renee
    Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Book Description
    Our love story is simple. I met a gorgeous woman. We fell in love. We had kids. We moved to the suburbs. We told each other our biggest dreams and our darkest secrets. And then we got bored.
    We all have secrets to keeping a marriage alive.
    Ours just happens to be getting away with murder.

My Thoughts
    This is one of those books that is so hard to write about without giving anything away. The book description had me saying, “yes please, I want to read you”, and I wasn't disappointed.
    Cindy Wilkerson
    Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2018
    This slow burn, but well paced thriller, follows a married couple that share a similar interest. They seem to balance suburban life, being parents, and plotting who to kill next with great ease.
    And that’s really all you need to know.
    The writing, at times, can feel very stilted. But it worked with this particular style of storytelling.
    It started out very strong, and then lost a bit of steam.
    But I loved the very end.
    Chande
    Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
    First off I would like to thank the author for the advance copy of this book! This is one dark twisted ride. You’re never sure who is manipulating who in this book. What couple decides to become serial killers together to spice up their marriage? You never know who that happy couple is next-door to you really are. I know I’ll never look at my neighbors the same again after reading this book.
    Amanda
    Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
    The premise of this book is fantastic! Husband and wife murder team. But the book never really goes into why or how it really started. It takes place after it started. I think it may have been better had it included these details. The Mr. & Mrs. Smith comparison, I understand. The Dexter comparison, I didn't understand where that came from...until the ending. The ending of Dexter not something you want to emulate though. Overall, it was a good book, and I would recommend it!
    Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I won a copy through a Goodreads giveaway. I can’t wait to pass it on to my coworkers to read. It was creepy without being gory in the details. It kept me guessing and is one of the few books I’ve given five stars to this year.
    Marti Dumas
    Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I'm not a huge thriller reader, but I loved this one. Definitely kept me turning pages.

I received an ARC of this book.
    Isobel
    Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc
    Great for those who like psychological thrillers, plot-driven works, and mysteries.

Narrated by the husband of a Bonnie-and-Clyde type duo, the story flows quickly, and even though I had guessed the ending before the narrator officially reveals it, I still enjoyed the entirety of this novel.

Highly, highly, highly recommend.
    Rebecca Vonier
    Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    A creepy ride along with a killer couple. It made me look at those perfect couples in my life a lot closer. Unpredictable and building to a fantastic end.
    I received an advanced copy of the book.
    Kelli Spear
    Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This is a crazy, intense thrill ride and I loved every second.

Good thrillers are hard to come by. Most often they lack intensity or originality. So I typically don’t have high hopes when I start. Such is the case with My Lovely Wife.

But what a pleasant, wonderful surprise! I was hooked from the very first page. The idea of a murderous married couple was brilliant enough. But there’s always some kind of twist in these books. This is no different. And while it’s guessable, it still manages to st
    Abby
    Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss
    This book is a twisty, disturbing ride with some absolutely VILE characters!

I hated the two main characters, Millicent and her husband. I could not decide if these people are psychopaths or sociopaths. They are clinical, and operate with no conscience. They made me feel uneasy and unsettled, and I loathed them. Reading this book made me cringe so many times.

So, you are probably thinking that I didn't like this book, but actually, I liked it once I stopped squirming. I was completely riveted and
    Taylor
    Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
    4.5. Psychopaths live amongst us, like it or not. In this debut thriller, an unnamed man and his wife Millicent seem to have a pretty normal life. Two kids, a nice house in a small, Florida town. But, the husband and wife duo share a dark secret. The husband poses as a deaf man to pick up women and Millicent then seeks revenge. I don’t want to say too much more for spoilers, but I could not put this book down. I kept trying to stay one step ahead of this couple, but I could not as they are maste ...more
    Cindy Price
    Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Most couples try incorporating "date nights" or plan romantic getaways to bring the spark back, but Millicent and "Tobias" (not his real name) take it a step further. In fact, they take a gigantic leap into criminality and decide murder is the sexiest game they have ever played and their marriage couldn't be more alive. That is, until one of them becomes, shall we say, a little too enamored with the game...

Truly refreshing take on the psychological thriller. This one will keep you up at night (i
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
    I live and work in New Orleans, where I'm trying to stay cool in this southern heat and write my next novel.