Start by marking “Whirlwind” as Want to Read:
Whirlwind

Whirlwind

Rock star Jo Avery didn’t have a choice about coming out, but ever since her ex outed her as bisexual, she’s been a proud advocate for LGBTQ+ issues. Most of her family wants nothing to do with her, but her brother has always supported her. When he gets married, he wants her in the wedding party.

The only problem? Her new sister in law is the daughter of conservative pundi
Published April 14th 2018 by JMS Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Whirlwind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whirlwind

Jess
This book was provided for free by the publisher and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

Once rock star Jo Avery stepped into her old hometown and the awful family that came along with it, I knew this book would be a bumpy ride. It’s a story that doesn’t stray from heavy themes of dealing with conservative anti-gay family members, but through the tough stuff, there’s a believable
Laure Dh.
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Since it’s still quite rare nowadays in the lesfic world, it’s good to find a story (even a short one) about an openly bisexual character … a story which talks about the problems and huge prejudices that most of bisexual people face daily …

Josiane, aka Jo, has a lot of courage … The courage to face the fact one of her ex outed her a few years ago just to serve her own carreer, the courage to be herself since this event and the courage to come home (where , of course) she’s not welcome to please
Rebecca Langham
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
RATING: 2.5 stars.

This is an easy read for anyone looking to engage with a short romance novella that follows the usual rules of the genre. I can see why some others would like it, but sadly, this book was not for me.

First of all, it's always good to see more bisexual characters. And who doesn't like the fantasy of a same-sex attracted rock star falling for an everyday sort of person? It's the formula for a nice story, and you can read it in about two hours or so. The most interesting and well-
Nadine Stamminger
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very joyful read, I always love storeys where one of the LGBTQ+leading ladies is famous, so this cover caught my attention right away. I'm an enthusiast of nice covers since I find it very rare that they really catch attention and make me stop and check out the book. Not with this awesome cover. Whirlwind is a story about singer Jo, who got outed by one of her fame greedy ex-girlfriends. Since most of her family is anti-Jo has to start her own life with just 18 years old. She did an a ...more
Sandra
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great novella with a lot of good moments in it.

It's the story of Jo, a rockband singer, and Valeria, who's sister is going to marry Jo's brother. Jo takes a break from touring to attend her brother's wedding preperation and the wedding itself ... Jo's brother is the only family member that supports her after her outing some years ago. The days before the wedding are full with events, appointments and hatred from a various range of people. But they're also rich of supporting friends an
terry decker
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Whirlwind was a great story. It’s aboubt a singer who comes home for her brother’s wedding as a Bridesmaid. Jo finds herself not welcome because of her sexuality by almost everyone except her Brother and Valeria, the brides sister. Sparks fly between Jo and Valeria, but Valeria is not publicly out and Jo understands what she has to risk because her Mother has disowned her 5 years before. I loved the story and highly recommend it.
Sandy
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-lesbian
I received this novella as an Advanced Reading Copy in exchange for an honest review. While the story starts off a bit unfocused, it quickly turns into a compelling read that tests the limits of coming out to family and the ramifications that can follow. In a multitude of family situations, Jo, a rock star, who was outed by a former girlfriend and was disowned by most of her family returns to NY to attend the wedding of her brother who is marrying the daughter of an Evangelical pundit. She prove ...more
AC
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Wow, Speyer creates strong characters that are easy to dislike with a passion, and yes, characters that you can really relate to positively as well. I have known parents that are like Sarah and Nathalie, although thankfully I never had that personal experience. This is a sweet and humorous, romance, centered around much family drama. I loved the interaction and dialogue between Jo and her bodyguard, Simon. It is thoughtful and sometimes, just funny. Although this is a short novel, Speyer has giv ...more
Jenna
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jo is a rockstar who has returned from tour for her brothers wedding. Jo was disowned by her parent's.Valeria is the downtrodden sister of the bride. Sparks fly, Valeria is in the closet. This is due to fear of rejection and backlash towards her mothers political career. Mother is a anti-gay lobbyist. I hate several characters and dislike of many others. Jo and Valeria are likeable but not a realistic relationship. Recieved an ARC for a honest review.
RNPride
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great read. The characters are well established and well-rounded and I love a happy ending. I finished this book really quickly! I constantly wanted to know what happened next. I didn’t want to put it down! The writing was great, and the plot moved along well. I loved the chemistry between the two main characters. I’ll definitely be checking out this author’s other books.

I received the book in exchange for an honest review.
Sophie❤️
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Always excited about more bi women in Lesfic but this was sadly yet another storyline filled with biphobic attitudes that quickly soured it for me. I didn't really connect with the characters,although I thought the story was an interesting one, it needed some reworking for it to work for me.

It never really picked up pace or excitement. I received an ARC copy for my review.
Ry Herman
Apr 25, 2018
JimO
Oct 04, 2018
J.V. Speyer
Apr 14, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: by-me
Starr Waddell
Sep 15, 2018
Beth
Oct 30, 2018
J. V. Speyer has been telling stories since she was a small child. Her father raised her on a steady diet of science fiction, horror, and fantasy, and she came to romance later in life. Most of her inspiration is drawn from music, whether from a specific song or just a rhythm.

J. V. grew up in Upstate New York, in a deeply diverse city in the heart of the Rust Belt. She now makes her home just out