Start by marking “The Secret Lives of Royals” as Want to Read:
The Secret Lives of Royals

The Secret Lives of Royals

Olivia can’t take it anymore. She’s had enough of the big city and it’s lack of fulfilling her dreams. Then, just when she’s about to give up and move home, out of the blue, she is offered her dream job. Olivia is suspicious but that could just be the New York in her. She decides not to pull at threads. Despite her best efforts to remain blissfully oblivious, the secret to ...more
Published June 12th 2018 by Shalini Dua

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Lives of Royals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Lives of Royals

✨Skye✨
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a free ebook version of this book from Netgalley. Thankyou to Netgalley and CreateSpace for allowing me to read this! My review is still entirely honest.

Oh no. I really wanted to give this a good review. The author of this book is a debut author, and after seeing that the average rating on Goodreads was quite low, I really wanted to introduce something positive. While I do have some great things to say about this, overall I can't say it's a book I was especially pleased with.
I absolut
Bran Pendergrass
Sep 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dear God! This book made sigh with exasperation and roll my eyes to a permanent position in the back of my head. Seriously, it was dreadfully basic and uninspiring. If you have ever watched or read a “chick flick” type storyline then you know all about the book! The cast was seriously bland, and I have totally forgotten them. The main character was also very generic and lifeless. I could not get into the book at all. The pacing was slow, the writing was rudimentary, the editing was lack lusterin ...more
Claire
IN SUMMARY: If you've watched a single chick flick movie, you've already read this book. THE SECRET LIVES OF ROYALS brings nothing new to the table, with a plot so dull, a heroine so generic, and cast so forgettable that finally finishing the read was a moment of pure relief. Not even the royal wedding fever could keep me interested.

MY THOUGHTS:

Honestly, my summary says it all. The main character, Olivia Thorpland, is a speshul snowflake walking cliché with two identical love interests (who
Tiffany Heywood
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable book to read. Olivia is a strong character which when her world turns upside down she takes it all in her stride. After getting offered her dream job from a phone call interview she later learns that she is from a line of royals which is a secret society in this world.
There is also prophecies added into the story focusing on her love life. I feel that i definatley ship her with connor then i do Alex. The book is very fast paced with Olivia moving around a lot and this has a
Meghan
May 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Formal Review:

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. As always, thank you Netgalley.

I picked this up on Netgalley based on the description: Shopaholic meets Adjustment Bureau. Couple this with the royal wedding, and I was in the mood for some, light royalness. I had just finished The Heir and The Spare, so why not continue the trend?

I wanted to like this book, but based on the Acknowledgements, I don't think it has ran through an editor. And it needs o
Anneke
May 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Book Review: The Secret Lives of Royals
Author: Shalini Dua
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: June 12, 2018

Ugh! This is one of the worst books I’ve ever read from NetGalley. One clue: it’s a self-published debut novel. I admit, I stopped reading about 1/3 of the way through. I couldn’t read anymore, when I have so many genuine, well-written books to read from NetGalley.

This was the shallowest book I’ve e
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
hank you BookSparks for the free finished copy of The Secret Lives of Royals. This is a self-published title by Shalini Dua. 📖
Olivia has recently graduated from Yale and working at Starbucks when a job as an editor at a Vogue-like magazine practically falls in her lap. The ensuing story is what she discovers about herself (that she’s royalty) and the people who leveraged her to get the job (the Circle).
📖
My twelve-year-old self would have loved this book. It’s like Princess Diaries on steroids.
Michaela Whitney
I received a copy from NetGalley for review.

Seemingly ordinary girl Olivia receives dream job, and everything is not what it appears to be.
Finds out she's part of a secret society, a shadow governments that is descended from royalty from Europe. Raised in anonymity from parents who tried to protect and shield her, to give her an opportunity at a normal life away from this organization. While the jet set life of the wealthy and celebrities comes with the trapping she's always imagine and dreamed
Kierstin Veldkamp
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started out reminding me Of The Devil Wears Prada for a moment and then seemed like Gossip Girl. It wasn't what I expected and it took me a moment to really figure out what was going on but I really liked it. I read it all in a out a day. The whole royals thing could have been fleshed out more, I am left with a lot of questions. Is this a standalone book or a series? After that ending, I would expect a series. If it isn't, that ending was a little unsatisfying. I thought it was an inte ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Secret Lives of Royals,  Shalini Dua

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: General fiction (adult), New Adult.

I was intrigued by this, and really wanted to like it. It seems to be a debut book, at least I can't find any others by this author so I wanted to be able to write a positive review. Writing is darn hard work, so I admire those who go on to actually publish. Sadly for me this book just didn't work though :-( I'm sure others will love it but for me its a fail.
I didn't really l
Kristen
Shalini Dua’s “The Secret Lives of Royals” is a career-in-New-York-publishing story crossed with a conspiracy-theory page-turner – imagine if Dan Brown had written the TV show Ugly Betty. It makes for a fun, light read.

Olivia (sometimes called Gigi or Gracie) is a Yale grad still working as a barista in NYC at age 26, while looking for her big break in publishing. One day it appears out of nowhere, and she lands her dream job at Le Salon magazine.

Just a few weeks into the glamorous new gig, sh
Raquel
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok...um.

I give this one two stars. I didn’t like the writing style. It was, I don’t know, not very immersive maybe. I wasn’t sucked in.

The characterization was sorely lacking. The main character stays pretty much the same throughout the short novel. The best friend was treated with vague mentions and two or three big scenes. The two, yeah love triangle, love interests were without chemistry.

I don’t think we can even call it a love triangle.

Neither boy put up much of a fight or even an inkling of
Gmr
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Initially, I got a lot of "Devil Wears Prada" vibes..."new adult" girl striking out into a media profession, snagging the coveted seemingly luxe position of Editor at a posher-than-posh publication, without REALLY even trying. The inevitable "fitting in" period, the fairy godmother-like helpers with a closet to die for, and an ever expanding social circle that will definitely benefit her in some way in the future...like I said, definitely some similarities...but then we add a royal twist. Now we ...more
Misty
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book for free. I entered a contest on Goodreads, but there was no letter attached or a request to give a review. I believe the return address said NetGalley, but couldn't be sure of that.

Anyway, I thought I would write a review since I did receive the book for free. Thank you by the way to whoever sent it!

I really liked the beginning of the story. Olivia starts a new job and it has a "Devil Wears Prada" feel to the story, but then it gets kinda weird with the society and this w
Becki
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-or-galley
This book has everything including the kitchen sink; but, not in a good way. There's a secret society that runs the world, a normal girl who finds out she's a 'princess', a love triangle, and OF COURSE a prophecy about the girl. All of the characters are flat and there's occasionally a very weak plot.

Olivia, the protagonist, is obnoxious and is willing to just go with the flow until events start to involve her best friend. Then she decides to run away from the world for weeks or months (the tim
Christy Ngo
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review.

This book started out live The Devil Wears Prada,then The Royals then The Gossip Girl. So, if you are a fan of all these movies, you will like this book.

Olivia, a normal girl, works in Starbucks. She lives with her best friend and all is just normal until she receives a phone call for an interview with a famous magazine. Then she was told that she was from a line of royals.

I quite like the book but the characters especially Alex and Conn
Lynsey
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Harlee Cormier
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
From the title, I thought this would be an awesome royal romance. Sadly, The Secret Lives of Royals fell short for me. I don't know what I was expecting when I started reading it but it wasn't what I thought it would be. Our main character, Olivia, is pulled into this secret society called "The Circle". From the first time we meed the Circle, I was a bit freaked out by it. It's a group of highly respectable people or those with royal blood that basically oversee everything. I guess the idea of p ...more
Kathleen
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Joey P
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle was only less than a month ago, the book came in a perfect time for my royal withdrawal.   I really like the concept of this book, a secret circle for the modern royalties.  It is a fun and easy read.  There is also a love triangle that might or might not involve a prophecy.   The competition is quite fair, that would make readers wonder til the end.

There are some minor con that I have to mention.  I hope the copy I got is not final version of the book.  There ar
Sarah Elizabeth
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my review.

This book was intensely readable and had an interesting premise that pulled me in from page one. I will say that the last twenty percent of the book felt rushed and a bit disjointed, but I'd love to read a sequel to the story.

I found the characters enjoyable, the plot entertaining, and think this would make a perfect summer pool or beach read, as well as a great TV show, on a network like FreeForm or The CW or Netfli
Cheryl
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This should be a fun, light-hearted read. Sadly, I did not get a taste or experience this during my reading time. The reason is because I found the characters to be muted and the story as well. In fact, I didn't notice that Olivia had two love interest in the beginning. Both men did not stand out in my eyes. Thus you could say that I was not into the romance.

The mystery aspect of the secret society didn't peak my intrigue either. You can say that this whole book kind of missed the mark. This tr
Stacia | stacialovestoread
*thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for granting me this copy in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was exceptionally difficult to get into. The grammar and syntax of the author is hard to decipher, and at times doesn’t make any sense. The concept of the story seemed like one I’d enjoy, but in the end, I struggled so hard with language issues, I couldn’t even focus on the plot line.
Leela Mal
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Secret Lives of Royals is the debut novel of Shalini Dua. It is an excellent read. The characters are fun and relatable, and the story is imaginative. I especially liked the imagery and got swept up while travelling with the main character, Olivia, through Europe. I’m ready to book some tickets and go on an actual trip. This book should definitely be on top of your summer reading list. I would highly recommend this book by first time author, Shalini Dua.

julianne
I was given a copy of this from NetGalley in return for my honest unbiased review.

I can't even say this was okay, it really wasn't. I hated the main character Olivia, she felt like someone much younger than 26. I don't think the writing style helped with this as it came across as very immature. This should be edited for a younger audience (late teens) rather than an adult one.
Dani Winland
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Secret Lives of Royals is a mix of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA and THE PRINCESS DIARIES. Take out all of the drinking, and this book would be great for tweens.

For my full review, go to www.danithebookaholic.com
Diane
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: booksparks, read-2018
This might work as a light beach read. It was a bit slow for my tastes.
Debbie Deissler
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting idea...sometimes I lost the storyline but liked the characters!
Christyn
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
That was creepy and predictable.
Lindsey Collins
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was thoroughly excited for this book. Once I got a little further into it the story seemed full of frivolous people just being rich and blowing off work. Olivia started out as a relatable character with ambition and drive, but once she is presented with an opportunity to be rich she pretends to be torn and then proceeds to binge watch at eat at home instead of work for weeks at a time. I was hopeful when the Royal society talked about influencing the world for the better to make it a better pl ...more