Start by marking “Beg For Mercy (Detective Solomon Gray #3)” as Want to Read:
Beg For Mercy (Detective Solomon Gray #3)

Beg For Mercy

(Detective Solomon Gray #3)

Two men fight to prove their innocence. A cop and a convicted murderer. One of them is lying.

Fifteen years ago, local crime boss Duncan Usher was sent to prison for killing his wife. A young Detective Solomon Gray was first at the scene and instrumental in putting Usher away. But now Usher is out, released on a technicality.

Usher has held a grudge all this time, and he won
Published June 12th 2018 by Bastei Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Beg For Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beg For Mercy

Linda Strong
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

Fifteen years ago, the wife of a criminal was murdered. The man who killed her called another friend to help him clean up. One of them was a cop ... and they framed the woman's husband.

Present day shows the criminal is released pending new evidence showing that he was not guilty. He knows it was one of three men ....

DS Solomon Gray ... is not only a cop, but a man who's been searching for his missing son for many years. He is also undergoing treatment for cancer that he's kept to himself.

Hearing
Elaine Tomasso
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bastei Entertainment for an advance copy of Beg for Mercy, the third novel to feature DS Solomon Gray of Margate police.

Fifteen years ago Sol was a very junior DC but as first responder to the murder of Valerie Usher he became one of the team that arrested and convicted her husband, Duncan, a local crime boss. Now Duncan has been released and the Independent Police Complaints Commission is re-examining the original investigation. Sol has more to worry about bu
Dave
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The third Solomon Gray book takes a different journey for a Police story. Chapters alternate between “then” and “now” as a fifteen year case is reopened and the convicted man allowed to walk out of prison. Gray was at the center of the case years earlier and now someone’s got to take the fall and Gray has to slowly peel back the layers of the onion to find out what actually happened. This is all about a methodical investigation, about trust, about betrayal, not so much about action. An enjoyable ...more
David Baird
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You’ve no idea how glad I am to be back in the world of Solomon Gray!

If you’ve not read the first two books in the series you should!

So we are back with Sol and this has to be one of the best openings to a book I’ve ever read. Sure Sol is flawed but surely he’s not capable of murder or corruption!

As with previous tales we change perspectives and time periods throughout the book jumping from the past to the present. This style of writing really makes it an interesting read and builds the suspense
Tiger
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solomon Gray #3 is without doubt, the best so far in this series, an easy 5 stars.

15 years ago mobster Duncan Usher was sent to prison for life for murdering his wife and brand new detective Solomon Gray was integral in the case. However, Usher did not kill his wife.....he was framed for it. Fast forward 15 years and Usher is released on a technicality and badly wants revenge on those who have stolen 15 years of his life, especially the cops from back then, including Gray. Ah yes, Solomon Gray..
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This was my first venture into books by this author, and I wasn’t disappointed.

Neither Fast nor slow paced, But enjoyable from first to last page!

I thoroughly enjoyed the alternative way of telling this tale. Seeing the story both from the past and present simultaneously was a lovely change, and gave the story an entirely new angle!

Reading from the characters first encounter with the Crime, and 15 years later when everything is under consideration because the man sent down was innocent (of
Karolyn
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Really enjoyed this book, so easy to read and follow, the chapters actually told you if it was past or present so it was less confusing, this made the book more enjoyable to read and follow the story for me.

The story was about a husband who was jailed for his wife's murder which he did not commit and after 15 years in jail, he was released and an inquiry was started surrounding the 3 officers involved in the case. As the case unravelled, it smelt of a set-up but who set him up? It was intriguin
Fiona Moreira
Beg for Mercy
By Keith Nixon

Solomon “Sol” Grey was the first responder at the murder of Valerie Usher, ex wife of local gangster Duncan Usher. It seems like an open and shut case. Duncan, spurned by his ex wife, kills her and frames local lad Craig Munby for the murder. But Grey supports his superiors to put Duncan away. Fifteen years later, due to an apparent miscarriage of justice Duncan Usher is back on the street and wants to set the record straight.

Flashing back and forth between then and n
Sarah Ramsden
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and love the series. What a cliffhanger to finish on. Cannot wait for the next book to see where Sol’s journey searching for his son takes him.
Kamini Mehta
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favourite Solomon Gray novel so far. I really liked the hopeful feeling (at least to me), despite Gray's cancer, things are starting to make sense about the past and how events have affected present relationships and realities.
Kate Bromwich
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first Soloman Gray novel I’ve read! Absolutely loved it, wish I’d read the other two first tbh, I’ll be reading them in the near future!

I loved the structure of the book, it flowed well with plenty of mystery twists and turns ect! Get ending, not predictable! 5 stars from me :)
Alison Muhl
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is book three in the Solomon Gray series, I hadn’t read the first two, and am happy to say that the book does read well as a stand-alone, but if you have read the previous books, you will have a better understanding of the issues Grey lives with. For example, the disappearance of his son, Tom ten years ago, which still haunts him, as he holds himself accountable for Tom's disappearance. The repercussions: the decline of his marriage, the death of his wife and his ongoing separation from his ...more
Jodi
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fanatstic 5 star read.

This is third installment featuring Solomon Gray and it didn't disappoint.

I follow a lot of Detective series but this is by far one of the best. The author makes you feel like you really know the characters. With this installment I loved the then and now storyline which allowed us to see how the characters have developed over the years.

The storyline had me guessing all the way through. Once I thought I had figured it out there comes another spanner in the works! Sh
Perry Nichols
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read, bring on the next installment.
Robert Cowan
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read and enjoyed the first two instalments of the Solomon Gray series and am glad but not surprised that the latest instalment keeps the standard high. Though the book works well as a stand-alone, to get the most from it I’d recommend starting with book one. Each book reveals a bit more of Grays past, the murky activities of colleagues and associates, and the back story of Gray’s missing son.
Beg for Mercy is a gritty tale of British gangland intrigue. Beginning with a murder, the plot twist
Lin
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it was a bonus to discover that it's set relatively locally to me, so while I didn't know the locations well, I could still picture them a little - although the constant referral to Thanet as an island was slightly misleading, as it's been a very long time since it was actually separated from the mainland.
The story develops skilfully along two timelines, the present as Usher is released from prison and seeks justice, and the past as we follow the original inve
Book Monitor
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gripping page turner of a novel. I was new to this series but it didn't mar my enjoyment at all. Well paced and well told and even though it seems the bad guy becomes clear quite early there are unexpected outcomes and turns in the story. I liked the characterisation and the depiction of the underlying emotions. I will now be going back to the books I've not read yet.
UPDATE November 2018:
I have re-read this as part of the reading the whole series as the next book has just been released. I rea
Wilma Walker
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blasted through this in two sittings! Compelling page turner.
Kris Knight
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Beg For Mercy by Keith Nixon. This was a really good read and characters were really developed. The ‘now and then’ structure worked great in this book. Good mystery with lots of twists. I did not realize it was a series book! Surprise ending!! Can’t wait for more!
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to give an honest review for the ARC.
Laura Jones
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really good read. Feels like the strands of the investigation into Gray's son's disappearance are coming together.
Fred Smith
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best so far, Gray continues to develop really nicely. Looking forward to seeing how it concludes.
Purity Brown
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best yet...
Melvin Hayes
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better.
Al
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2018
If you’ve read the two prior books in this series you’ll be familiar with not only Solomon Gray, the series protagonist, but also his coworkers in the local police department, plus Frank McGavin, the local crime boss. While he got a brief mention previously, it wasn’t obvious that McGavin essentially took over for Duncan Usher, who was convicted of murder in Solomon’s first big case. When Usher is unexpectedly released from prison due to a technicality, it kicks off an investigation of the origi ...more
Beccy Thompson
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The third book in the Solomon Gray series so far. Again thank you to TBC for my copy
I've read both of the first two books in the series so far and I can confidently say that Keith Nixons characters (although solid and readable from page 1) only get better as the novels go on. I really enjoyed the way that the book flicked backwards and forwards to when Solomon was a new policeman and his cases back to current day. Lots of authors try this tactic but Keith Noxon has really found a way to make it
Suze Bickerton
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This the third book in a series about Solomon Gray. Although I have read the first two books (check out my reviews of Dig Two Graves and Burn the Evidence), this also works just fine as a standalone. In my opinion this is the strongest so far, and I loved the other two!

The story is set in dual timelines - fifteen years ago when Duncan Usher was accused of this wife's murder, and present day, where he has been released from prison. I really enjoyed this approach - seeing the story develop like t
Willow Angel
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I've really enjoyed the "then and now" transitions in this book. A fifteen year old case is reopened and the man convicted has been allowed to walk out of prison. Being one of Gray's first cases, he has to peel the layers back to find out what actually happened fifteen years ago.

A gripping read, I'm throughly enjoying this series and find myself thinking of gray and the storylines when I'm busy doing other things. I look forward to sitting down with a coffee and continuing from where I left
Pauline Pope
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Did not disappoint...
Gillian
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Valerie Usher is found murdered on her own bed with Craig Mundby also in the room with wrists slit at first glance it appears to be a murder suicide? Recently promoted Detective Soloman Gray is first on the scene his biggest case yet.
The notorious Duncan Usher Valerie’s estranged husband is charged and convicted of the murder and attempted murder although he always protested his innocence. Solomon is new to the CID team and he has his doubts that Usher is guilty.
Fifteen years on Duncan Ushe
Martha Brindley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Keith Nixon books and this did not disappoint. Solomon Gray is still seeking answers as to his son's disappearance. The book jumps between the past and the present as the suspense builds throughout the book. This can be read as a stand alone but best to start with book one in the series. Do yourself a favour and read them now. if you like Line of Duty, you will love this author. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Keith Nixon is a British born writer of crime and historical fiction novels. Originally he trained as a chemist, but Keith is now in a senior sales role for a high-tech business.

Keith currently lives with his family in the North West of England. His novels are published by Bastei Lubbe & Gladius Press.

Sign up to a regular newsletter for information on upcoming books, offers etc. at http://www

Detective Solomon Gray (4 books)
  • Dig Two Graves (Detective Solomon Gray #1)
  • Burn The Evidence (Detective Solomon Gray #2)
  • Bury The Bodies (Detective Solomon Gray #4)