Start by marking “The Clockmaker's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Clockmaker's Daughter

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  65,381 ratings  ·  9,508 reviews
My real name, no one remembers.
The truth about that summer, no one else knows.

In the depths of a nineteenth-century winter, a little girl is abandoned in the narrow streets of London. Adopted by a mysterious stranger, she becomes in turn a thief, a friend, a muse, and a lover. Then, in the summer of 1862, shortly after her eighteenth birthday, she retreats with a group of
Published September 20th 2018 by Mantle (first published September 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Clockmaker's Daughter, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Melissa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tina I love all her books. Several years ago, I saw a display of the first three books (with the old covers) at the bookstore and fell in love the with cov…moreI love all her books. Several years ago, I saw a display of the first three books (with the old covers) at the bookstore and fell in love the with covers. I bought them all, read them immediately and have loved her books ever since!(less)

·  65,381 ratings  ·  9,508 reviews

Start your review of The Clockmaker's Daughter
Julie
The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton is a 2018 Atria Books publication.

As the early reviews for this book started to trickle in, I was concerned by too many opening lines that began with: ‘I love Kate Morton’s books, she is one of my favorite authors, but…’

In a year where I’ve been very disappointed in some of my favorite authors, I was terrified it was about to happen again. However, I was determined to keep an open mind, and still eagerly anticipated reading this one. But, by the time the
Melisa
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know you’re a baller when your name is bigger than the title🙌🤗

- - - - - - - - -

When the queen writes it, you read it.

Kate Morton is my number one favorite author - I have read every one of her books and will read her grocery list if I had the option. She is the author I recommend above anyone else. Her lyrical, magical writing is a thing of beauty and such a gift. I admire her tremendously.

Admittedly, this is not my favorite of Ms. Morton’s (may I recommend The Secret Keeper and The Lake Ho
Diane S ☔
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find your favorite reading spot, grab your beverage of choice, (actually this would be the perfect book to read in front of a fireplace, wrapped in a quilt, watching the snow or rain fall, but I didn't have those choices) and let Kate Morton transport you to Birchwood Manor on the Thames. Yes, she has written about another house, a house that has witnessed great love and unbearable loss, a house that is the repository of many a secret. An immersive, and seductive read, albeit a leisurely one. A ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Well, I guess you can tell from my rating that this wasn’t my favorite book by Morton, but it wasn’t bad. Maybe my expectations were simply not in the right place, but I had a difficult time following the jumping timelines and in turn, connecting with the characters. I’ll think on this one a bit more before writing a full review, but fans of her previous work might be appreciative to know going into this that it’s a bit different than her other novels. Full review to come.

*I received a review c
Carrie
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When it comes to an author like Kate Morton readers should be well aware that they will find great writing when picking up a new book and that was still the case with The Clockmaker’s Daughter. However, even with lovely writing sometimes things just don’t work for some readers and that would be my dilemma with this one.

The Clockmaker’s Daughter is a historical fiction read told from multiple points of view over the course of decades. In the present Elodie Winslow is going through an old satchel
Dem
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A case of Quantity over Quality comes to mind on finishing this novel. A disappointing read with way too many characters and time frames to keep track of and at 582 pages I just found this was a very time consuming read with a story that just plodded along and lacked any real suspense or tension and ended up being an uneventful and tedious read.

Having loved Kate Morton's first two novel's I am always hoping for something as suspensful or entertaining but this one just didn't cut the mustard for
Donna P
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I want to say that I am a HUGE Kate Morton fan. I have loved pretty much every book she has written, and I have recommended her books to so many people. That said, The Clockmaker's Daughter is a major disappointment. I could barely finish it and only kept going because it was Kate Morton, and I was sure it would get better. It didn't.

There are far too many characters to keep track of in this story, and there are at least four or five different time periods that you are randomly whi
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4.5 sublime stars to The Clockmaker’s Daughter! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟.5

Told in multiple storylines, the first is set in 1862. Edward Radcliffe, an esteemed artist, organizes a group of other young artists to holiday at Birchwood Manor on the Thames. Their objective is to laze away the summer among inspiration and exercising their creativity. What happens instead is a murder, a disappearance, and a missing heirloom.

In the present, Elodie Winslow is an archivist living in London. She runs across two items that
Paromjit
Kate Morton writes a beautiful piece of epic interconnected historical fiction, with a strong fantastical element, through the ages, with the focus on the rambling Birchwood Manor by the Thames. In 1862, the owner of the Manor, the gifted artist, Edward Radcliffe, and a group of bohemian artists spend the summer there, hoping to be artistically inspired. However, it all ends in catastrophe as a woman is murdered, plus the orphaned artistic muse, Birdie Bell, the clockmaker's daughter, disappears ...more
Norma
4.5 Stars

Captivating, mysterious and spellbinding!

KATE MORTON once again put me under her spell with her fabulous new novel THE CLOCKMAKER’S DAUGHTER. The setting was just as bewitching as the storytelling! I absolutely loved the fantastical elements of this story, learning all the secrets hidden in Birchwood Manor and the character connections to the ghostly presence of Birdie Bell, the clockmaker’s daughter which was so pivotal to the story for me. I love me a good ghost story!

THE CLOCKMAKER’
Tammy
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The discovery of an old photograph kicks off this account about the inhabitants of a manor house which eventually contains a mannerly prescence. An archivist, archeologist, painter and pick pocket are among the people that pepper this tale. Moving between the late 1850’s, early 1860’s, post WWI, WWII and the summer of 2017, Morton’s plot is typically dense and contains a wide variety of characters with fuzzy familial and tangential relationships. Some characters are introduced only to have their ...more
Holly  B
A romantic love story, a mystery and a murder

Birchwood Manor is located near the Thames and it is at the center of this story and it also holds the truth about what happened one summer in 1862. The house is like a character and has "a voice" that whispers to the reader and makes connections that won't be revealed until later. I kept asking myself, "who is speaking"? That will be revealed later.

The story spans from the 1860's to present day and artist, Edward Radcliffe is at the heart of the
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4.5 stars!

Evocatively atmospheric. Exquisitely detailed. Brilliantly narrated.

Let me start by stating, I love Kate Morton! She is one of my most favourite authors! I have read and loved all of her books. This one, although not the full 5 stars I was hoping for, does not disappoint. I devoured this lengthy novel in days, putting aside all other reading to truly focus on her luscious and delectable writing. This novel stole time away from things I should have been doing, while at the same time I
Berit☀️✨
A beautifully told story about a house, a love, and a ghost....

This is my third Kate Morton book and just as her previous books were this book was a slow burn... some books are a quick little getaway this book was a journey... The journey of a house and it’s ghost, through many decades and many eyes.... an old-fashioned love story, a contemporary mystery, and so much inbetween... This story really is like a complicated and beautiful weaving... at the beginning there are so many threads none
Susanne  Strong
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.7 Stars* (rounded up)

My First Kate Morton: Lyrical, Magical and Mysterious.

While conducting her work in London, Elodie, an Archivist, discovers a painting of a woman, along with a drawing of a house, set alongside a river. Both intrigue her and she must find out more about them. One hundred and fifty years prior, Edward Radcliffe a young artist spent time at Birchwood Manor where he planned to paint and to dream. Something however went awry, leaving Edward’s life in tatters.

Elodie is swept a
James
Kate Morton is one of my favorite authors, and when The Clockmaker's Daughter came out this year, I was one of the first to jump on NetGalley to get a copy. I was so excited to be awarded the book and added it to my August reading queue. It made for a good alternate style given I'm also running a children's book readathon this month! Although not my favorite of all her novels, it's an enchanting story and covers a lot of beautiful generations within a couple of families...

What I loved the most a
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Traveling Sisters Group Read

This was my first book by Kate Morton and I really didn’t know what to expect from one of her books. I went into this one with a few other books on the go and I found out there are a few things you might need to know when you read The Clockmaker’s Daughter.

This is a story to savor every beautifully written detail and the story and characters need focus and attention. The story spans over 150 years and many themes are explored here and there is an extensive amount of c
PattyMacDotComma
“Kitty wore her cynicism well, but Leonard had known her before the war and he could see all the stitches that were holding the costume together.”

Kitty and Leonard are just one of several generations of characters Morton introduces us to, all connected to Birchwood Manor at one time or other in their lives. Some characters were taken there as children, some have met each other there, some have stumbled across it in their travels, and we know someone has died there.

In the opening pages, the na
Jenny
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every Monday my alarm clock goes off at the unforgiving hour of 4 AM. I am slow to rise and usually hit the snooze button at least once, trying to enjoy just a few more minutes in my comfy bed snuggled under the covers. Then I am forced to tackle the morning routine of getting ready for work as the clock seems to tick a little faster before I find myself rushing out the door to get to work and begin hours of nonstop activity.
As my work day ends the rest of my day doesn’t as I come home to pick
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
How to describe a book like The Clockmaker’s Daughter by Kate Morton? The story itself is delicate, like spun sugar. It is timeless, not bound by a single story thread, but comprised of a tangle of threads that weave backwards and forwards like the winding of a clock. In that way, The Clockmaker’s Daughter couldn’t have a more perfect titular figure and motif.

I found this book to be thought-provoking and haunting, but not in the way you’d expect. There is a ghost, of course. But this book is ha
Phrynne
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Some Kate Morton books work for me and some do not. This one does. I enjoyed it despite the length which was a tad excessive!

As usual there is more than one time period and lots of flipping back and forth, which means the reader has to pay attention at all times! There are many very likable characters who are all linked together in various ways which also requires concentration. I weakened before the end and thus missed a couple of connections but it did not spoil the book one bit.

The story was
Lisa
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a breathtaking read This was my first book by the very talented Kate Morton, & I must say I loved every moment of The Clockmakers Daughter it was beautifully written , atmospheric & the characters were woven into each other very well. The prose is told by multiple POV's which at times I had to look back at who was saying what, but that didn't detract my enjoyment or my rating. It was a quick paced premise that had me turning all 592 pages I was finished in no time.

Set in 1862 Edward Radclif
Kendall
This was one first read by Kate Morton and I have to say it was an experience that I was pleasantly surprised with. I stepped out of my comfort zone.... and am so glad I did because I truly learned what defines me as a reader.

To say that Kate Morton had me with her words... is an understatement. She truly astonished me with her eloquence and ability to form words that fell off the pages with ease.

"The winds blew and the trees moaned, and thunder rolled down the river to take the house within it
Cindy Burnett
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Clockmaker’s Daughter is a beautiful and at times heartbreaking read. I am a fan of Kate Morton, and this is by far her best book yet. The characters are complex and well developed, the setting is descriptive, and the tale itself is simply fantastic. I was sad when the book was coming to a close and felt Morton’s ending was perfect and unexpected. The Clockmaker’s Daughter is truly a masterpiece.

Before I started The Clockmaker’s Daughter, a colleague told me to read slowly and pay close atte
Katie B

This book contains so many of the elements I have come to expect and love in a Kate Morton story but unfortunately it takes awhile to get to see everything in play. The first 75 pages or so are the weakest in my opinion and it wasn't until about the halfway mark when I felt fully invested in the story. Don't give up on the book though because when things start tying in together it becomes a heartbreaking yet beautiful tale just like Morton's other novels.

It's kinda hard to give a good s
Brenda
It was 2017 in London when archivist Elodie Winslow discovered an old but beautiful leather satchel which, on inspection, contained a photograph of a woman in Victorian clothing, and a sketchbook with detailed artwork, including a house by a river. She had no idea why the two items felt so special to her, even making her feel like she was familiar with the house, but Elodie knew she had to find out more.

In 1862, a small group of friends, including artist and owner Edward Radcliffe, descended on
Marialyce
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
For those of us who have loved Kate Morton’s books this one is a treat to behold. She is back mesmerizing us and making us feel ever so present in the pages, the characters, and the places she writes of.

Edward Radcliff is an artist who spies a beautiful red haired woman and falls for her as both the woman he eventually loves and as his muse. Her name is Birdie Bell and she has had a sad and somewhat checkered past but she inspires Edward and as they venture to his home Birchwood Manor, we ventur
Dale Harcombe
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and a half stars
This story of Birchwood Manor and events that happen there is told by several narrators. It comes to the attention of archivist Elodie Winslow, when she finds a leather satchel. Inside are two items that at first appear unrelated. One is a sepia photograph of a woman in Victorian clothing. The other is an artist’s sketchbook that contains a drawing of a twin-gabled house on the bend of a river. It seems familiar somehow to Elodie and reminds her of a story her mother told her a
Krystal
WELL.

Blurb:
1862. Artists. Summer house. Mystery.
2017. Clues. Modern girl trying to solve mystery.

Actual story:
Multiple timelines, multiple mysteries, secrets, intrigues, family, love, heartbreak, ghosts.

This book just offers so much and it was such a fascinating trip unravelling it all.

I loved that it was divided across time, and what an experience trying to put all the pieces together to see how they fit. There are some great characters - obviously some I liked more than others - and hearing t
Carolyn
As with many of Kate Morton's books, this novel revolves around a house. In this case a large, sprawling Elizabethan house, Birchwood Manor, on a bend of the Thames river in Gloucestershire. The house had seen many things since it was built in the 16th century, but it was events of the summer of 1862 that are crucial to this story. It was then that a talented pre-Raphaelite artist, Edward Radcliffe bought the house and invited his artist friends and their models to spend the summer there. And it ...more

• The Huntress
  • Once Upon a River
  • Nine Perfect Strangers
  • The Lost Girls of Paris
  • Transcription
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Lost Roses (Lilac Girls, #2)
  • The Gown
  • The Dutch House
  • The Glass Ocean
  • The Witch Elm
  • Unsheltered
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)
  • The Island of Sea Women
  • The Golden Hour
  • The Library Book
  • The Summer Wives
KATE MORTON grew up in the mountains of south-east Queensland and now lives with her family in London and Australia. She has degrees in dramatic art and English literature, and harboured dreams of joining the Royal Shakespeare Company until she realised that it was words she loved more than performing. Kate still feels a pang of longing each time she goes to the theatre and the house lights dim.

"I

Articles featuring this book

Historical fiction lovers, rejoice! We've rounded up the 40 most popular historical fiction novels on Goodreads published during the last five y...
“Parents and children. The simplest relationship in the world and yet the most complex. One generation passes to the next a suitcase filled with jumbled jigsaw pieces from countless puzzles collected over time and says, ‘See what you can make out of these.” 38 likes
“Human beings are curators. Each polishes his or her own favoured memories, arranging them in order to create a narrative that pleases. Some events are repaired and polished for display; others are deemed unworthy and cast aside, shelved below ground in the overflowing storeroom of the mind. There, with any luck, they are promptly forgotten. The process is not dishonest: it is the only way that people can live with themselves and the weight of their experiences.” 31 likes