Start by marking “Chasing Shadows (First Wives, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chasing Shadows (First Wives, #3)

Chasing Shadows

(First Wives #3)

An Amazon Charts and Wall Street Journal bestseller.

Falling in love can come with the most unexpected risks in this First Wives novel from New York Times bestselling author Catherine Bybee.

Avery Grant doesn’t date. Her first marriage was a mutually beneficial contract that gave her the financial freedom she needed to step away from her controlling parents. Wealthy and

Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 316 pages
Published November 13th 2018 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Shadows

Start your review of Chasing Shadows (First Wives, #3)
♥Rachel♥
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Last year Avery barely survived a brutal attack and remembers next to nothing about it. Previously, Avery’s been outspoken and up for a good time, but the attack has changed her. Not that she’s now a shrinking violet, but she’s more thoughtful and serious. Also, she’s taken up krav maga determined to be able to defend herself should she ever be in a vulnerable situation again.

While defending herself from a handsy barfly, Avery captures the attention of Liam, a nice, normal building contractor,
Carvanz
With each book from this series I think it’s the best one yet…so yeah, this is the best one yet. I never expected to love them as much as I do but dang, they just keep getting better and better until I can’t get enough of them.

We learned about Avery in the previous books and I was really curious to find out what her full story was going to look like. While you don’t necessarily have to read them, there is some background information to help you understand more fully what she has been through.
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Please bare with me because I really just want to swoon all over Liam. If I could dedicate this whole review to him, he is worthy BUT I won't cause I gotta say that Avery really surprised me. I should talk about her first cause she has been there from book 1 in the series and Liam is new. Besides, I like to save the best for last anyway.

Ok, so Avery was a character in the first two books that I just wasn't too sure about. She came off a bit shallow, maybe a bit spoiled, and a tad bit immature
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
So enjoyed this one!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had read another book that was similar in theory to the First Wives Club and I thought it was the same author and the continuation of that series. However, this is a different series than the one I was thinking of and it turned out to be a great choice.

I love how some authors just make you feel at home with their book. You’re not trying to figure out what’s going on. You’re just enjoying the story. And that’s what happened with this book.

The characters
"Avonna
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

CHASING SHADOWS (First Wives #3) by Catherine Bybee is a contemporary romance that had me on an emotional roller-coaster from the very first chapter. This is the third book in the series and Avery’s story. This book can be read as a standalone, but all of the women in the First Wives Club appear and interact in this book because of Trina’s wedding.

Avery Grant finally has the financial freedom to live life on her own terms. Her
TJ
4.5/5.0

Love the heroine! I wasn’t sure if I would like Avery very much judging from previous books, but Ms. Bybee squeezed, twisted and wrenched until I finally admit, I absolutely adore this character! She is such a strong woman, one who doesn’t give up but is capable of such strong love. There were a few small blips but nothing that would seriously jeopardize this lovely story.
Dirty Dayna
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 He’s still alive Stars
I have so many ARC’s I am behind in reading but I knew I needed to read a book by one of my favorite authors to get me back into binge reading.
description

First Wives club is a group of women who have married and divorced for money. This sounds like it would be very vapid and boring. However, you learn about each woman and how love finds a way to everyone.
This story is about Avery Grant. In previous books I assumed she was a “poor little rich girl” but after Trina’s story (book
Heather
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't pick up a book by Catherine Bybee unless you have several hours free for reading, because once you pick it up you won't be able to stop reading! This is the third book in the First Wives series and it really does help if you have at least read book two since Avery's life was forever changed in book two. Don't want to spoil anything here, so I will just say read book two and then pick this one up next!
As always Catherine Bybee is able to create such wonderful characters that actually feel
Lesley
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
My husband: Whatcha going to do today?
Me: Laundry and cleaning - I'm totally getting the house clean today...I think I'll sit and read a couple of pages of the new Bybee book I have first though...
Me 4 hours later: Well, I had good intentions, but Avery and Liam needed me to read their story start to finish.
Truth be told, Avery is my least favorite of the First Wives Club. A professed player who didn't have much direction in life other than making sure she had enough money to fund her shopping
Tracy T.
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book and narration by Emma Wilder (audible review)

This might be my favorite of the series so far. I really liked Avery and her new found fighting skills. She was on a mission to never get beat on again! I liked Liam too. He was handsome and smart. I was kind of worried in the beginning when he was kind of stalkery... but that moved on quickly.

I enjoyed the story line and plot. It all flowed very well and was well written. There was a lot of dialogue throughout the entire book. There is a
Kate ☀️ Olson
Sigh. I'm just addicted to Catherine Bybee, and have been ever since I discovered her Weekday Brides series on Kindle Unlimited several years ago. I immediately inhaled ALL of those books, then her Not Quite series, and then was ecstatic that she did a spin-off of Weekday Brides in this newer series, First Wives. This one wasn't my favorite of her books, but it was very satisfying and featured so many of the recurring characters that I love. I love that these are available as Read & Listen ...more
Peggy Jaeger
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I lost another night of sleep when this book popped up on my Netgalley approval list!!!! But then, I always lose sleep when a new Catherine Bybee book is released because I just can't put her books down.

Book three in the First Wives Club, Chasing Shadows, deals with ex-wife Avery Grant. In the book 2, we saw her viciously attacked and left for dead. It's a year later and rich party girl Avery has undergone some changes - and more than just the new nose she was given after the the attack.

A
Stacie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 "Warrior" Stars!

Loved it! Can't wait for Shannon's book and I hope Sasha gets a book too! Happy reading!
A Klue
At only 32% into, I realized Avery, the heroine, and I were just not going to hit it off, folks. Sure, all things were pretty good at first, until she decides to ditch Liam’s genuine, gentlemanly offer of a real date and instead trolls bars alone, with no cell phone, buzzed drunk looking for a meaningless one night stand. Yeah, she’s chasing shots and letting random men hit on her all to prove a point to herself. What logical, rational point, you ask? Well, in my opinion, there wasn’t one. Other ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2018, suspense
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Avery had not been the same since her brutal attack. One year later, and she is still haunted by the memories of her attacker. She made attempts to make herself feel safer, but she still needed to confront her issues stemming from that fateful day last year in NY.

Overall, I really enjoyed Avery's story. Watching her fade since her attack was hard, and she didn't seem to be making much progress toward her recovery. Yes, she was physically recovered, but mentally and emotionally,
Treena
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Montlake Romance and NetGalley for giving me an ARC of this book. The review below is entirely my own opinion.

I think in order to fully appreciate and understand Avery’s story, one should read books 1&2 of the series first. Otherwise, imo, some things will not be as significant and there are mentions of characters from the previous two books.

Because I did read the first two books, I can say that I loved how much Avery has grown from book 1. It was awesome to see her blossom in
Pelusa Rivera
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) I really enjoyed book but again was bummed when realized that this was the third book which you come to find out as you read it that there are others which I intend to read, I got a summary by reading the blurbs and reviews of the first to to get a general idea. You can fairly predict what the title is about that something bad had happened to her but I respected her for doing something about it and not just crumpling up.She got a gem in Liam, what a ...more
Heather
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**I voluntarily read an early copy of this title courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

Catherine Bybee is one of my go-to authors and Chasing Shadows is a prime example why. She always finds a way to keep her stories fresh and exciting and also keeps you on the edge of your seat as you wait (most likely impatiently!) to find out what happens to our hero and heroine!

Avery Grant endured a brutal attack and was left for dead. She's physically healed from the encounter, but
Donna
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Bybee at her best. A gripping tale, the most recent in the First Wives series. This book has a very different storyline with twists and turns as it progresses. Fascinating characters and a romance threaded through. A must for fans of this genre. Although part of a series where it was great to welcome back ‘old friends’, this book could also be read standalone. I can almost guarantee that any reader doing this would want to follow on by reading the earlier books.
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**Copy Provided by Netgalley and Montlake Romance for an honest review**

This is the third book in the series and can be read as a stand alone book, however you do miss a lot of the friendship and a little of the plot if you do not read the other books first.

The third book follows Avery a year after the previous book finishes and the brutal attack that landed Avery in the ICU.

A slightly changed Avery is forging on with her life and gets an interruption when Liam steps into her life and decides
E-Reader Addict
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I stand by my earlier assessment that this First Wives series is an edgier, grittier Catherine Bybee, far removed from her Not Quite series (which I thoroughly enjoyed). But as I said previously...different isn’t bad. It’s just different. And now that I know what to expect from these books, I can go in with my expectations managed!

But that’s not to say I'm not enjoying this series as well. It’s just taken me some adjusting to these First Wives who are jaded, cynical, and in the case of Avery
Jackie Wright
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those series that each book seems to be better than the last and once again Catherine Bybee has another hit on her hands, this is book 3 in the First Wives Club but each book can be read as a stand-alone although I’m sure once you pick one up you will want to read the others. We met Avery is the previous books and to be honest I wasn’t sure how her story would pan out because at the start of Chasing Shadows she wouldn’t have been a favourite character of mine but as the book ...more
Ruthie Taylor
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the third book in the series - and I would say that you definitely need to read them in order as the underlying themes run through all the books, and in this one we have Trina's wedding to Wade too.

Avery is one of the four women in the First Wives Club, but she has NO intention of ever repeating the act again. She only married to escape from being under the control of her rich but demanding parents. So, whilst
Pennie Morgan
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think this series could get any better after the last one but I was wrong, this one tops the last. Avery is definitely a warrior, not just a survivor! Oh, and Liam. When we get the first glimpse of him in Pugs Bar, I thought he was going to be a problem but oh, he is so much more, he is her redemption, just what she needed at this point in her life. The First Wives come together for Trina's wedding and, much to Avery's chagrin, Liam is invited into the fold and exposed to group and what ...more
Erin Lewis
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Star Review Chasing Shadows (First Wives #3) by Catherine Bybee
There is something about Catherine Bybee’s style of writing that resonates with me. She weaves a story that has me invested from the very start. Although a stand alone I would probably be inclined to read the first two books before reading Chasing Shadows as their stories provide the back story for this book. Avery Grant doesn’t date as she is still mentally recovering from an attack that almost killed her. Now she concentrates on
Kim Perry
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, review-crew
Chasing Shadows is surprising, sexy, and shows a new side to Avery. Out of the first wives, Avery seemed the least settled and went a little wild after her divorce. She's no longer the carefree woman she was after her attack. I loved seeing this new more serious side where Avery finds a new purpose in life through arranging estate sales and finding confidence in krav maga. She doesn't really let anyone in, including her best friends, until the sexy Liam pursues her. Liam is sexy, charming, ...more
Alyse
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love. Love. Love. Catherine Bybee is one of my favorite authors. I've read MOST of her books. And this one didn't disappoint. Chasing Shadows is part of her "First Wives" series and can be read as a standalone, BUT these stories (so far) are somewhat intertwined and I RECOMMEND reading them in order.
Sandy Bartles
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Avery is still working through her assault/attempted murder in New York City from the previous year and has taken up the art of Krav Maga. She and Liam notice each other in a bar and meet up in Krav Maga class. It is wonderful watching Avery grow to know she loves Liam. Theirs is a fun relationship, making for a terrific book.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Kathy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Avery’s story in the First Wives Club was one that captured you from the beginning and held you until the end. When Avery meets Liam, she is wary and attracted to him at the same time. After being brutally attacked, Avery has vowed never to let that happen again and is still trying to face her fears. Liam wants to help her, but Avery doesn’t trust anyone to let them in to her heart.
A wonderful story of regaining love and trust as only Catherine can tell it.
Paula Pugh
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this novel about a woman determined to strengthen herself after a horrible attack and to find the person who did it. Avery is a strong woman but her defenses were shattered after the attack, along with her nose. A chance meeting at a local bar after her Krav Maga class leads her to Liam. He is intrigued by Avery and becomes her fighting partner. As romance blooms, so does Avery’s memories of the attack and her determination to travel back to New York to the scene of her attack. She tells ...more

• The Memory of You (Sanctuary Sound, #1)
  • The Promise of Us (Sanctuary Sound #2)
  • My Kind of Forever (Trillium Bay, #2)
  • The Wonder of Now (Sanctuary Sound, #3)
  • Ensnared (The Accidental Billionaires, #1)
  • A Brand New Ending (Stay, #2)
  • The Perfect Dress
  • Entangled (The Accidental Billionaires, #2)
  • The Magnolia Inn
  • When You Knew (The Cabots, #3)
  • The Broken One (Corisi Billionaires, #1)
  • Owen (Undercover Billionaire, #3)
  • Enamored (Accidental Billionaires #3)
  • Ask Me to Stay
  • Promise Me You
  • Wishing On A Star (A Shooting Stars Novel Book 3)
  • All Roads Lead to You (Stay, #3)
  • Runaway Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #5)
New York Times Bestselling Author

Finalist RT Award in Contemporary Romance
Fiance by Friday

New York

First Wives (5 books)
  • Fool Me Once (First Wives, #1)
  • Half Empty (First Wives, #2)
  • Faking Forever (First Wives, #4)
  • Say It Again (First Wives, #5)