Start by marking “Layover” as Want to Read:
Layover

Layover

Lena Ward is an unhappy travel blogger with a less than 24 hour layover in her hometown. She spends the day with Tony Dembélé, a podcaster she's been flirting with for a few months online. In their brief time together Lena confronts some hard truths about her life and her past and the two test the waters of their connection.

This is a short story with a sweet and satisfyi
Published April 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Layover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Layover

Start your review of Layover
Rachel
By turns fresh and nostalgic, “Layover” by Katrina Jackson is a powerhouse of a novella. At 124 pages, the author skillfully takes readers on an emotional journey highlighting music, friendship, grief, healing, self-discovery, new love, family, and creativity.

Lena Ward is a travel blogger/vlogger and playlist music maker who feels like she has lost her creative passion.

The traveling she’d done for herself and blogged about had been for the pure pleasure of seeing, experiencing and sharing. B
Jazmen
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
For such a short novel, wow--a lot was packed into this.

Okay. Lena, travel blogger, music playlist maker extraordinaire, is running.

Okay, she's traveling, but she's running. Running from the grief of the loss of her mother; and the things she can't understand--like home, a foundation, and what exactly is she doing with her life?

While working her travel blog, through social media, she meets, Tony. Tony and his boy Kwame, have a podcast, that has catapulted them in to a sort of stardom. In the
Lisa
FREE on Amazon.

This book is so short but the story wrapped up so nicely, I love it. I love books that made me feel. I love that music was integral in the story (Lena made playlists for basically everything), and I love the connection between Tony and Lena. Also, Tony's a Muslim (!!!) which is cool, but I had to force myself to forget that fact during the sex scene I mean Astaghfirullah ya akhi you don't drink but you have sex outside marriage??? lololol but that's just a me thing, it's no big de
Alisa
Mar 17, 2020 marked it as tbr-own-this
Currently FREE on Amazon 03/17/2020
M
This book is such a perfect story balancing so many great things. Will come back with a better review.
Amanda
This was short, but the author managed to pack in a lot of feels! I found so much of this really refreshing, especially in that it felt really current with the protagonists being black creatives doing podcasting and travel blogging for a living. I LOVED the role of music in this--I honestly stopped reading so many times just to hop on Spotify and listen to songs I haven't heard in forever--and I loved the descriptions of Oakland and how this explored what "home" means to Lena.

Lena and Tony have
Leigh Kramer
This was a perfect novella. Lena is a travel blogger and Tony is a podcaster. The glimpses into their respective careers were fascinating, especially since I’m a long-time blogger who would never want to do it full-time. Lena has been using travel so she won’t have to process her mom’s death two years prior but coming back home for a layover shifts things for her in ways she did not anticipate and I loved how this was handled.

Music plays a great role in the story, pun intended. I also loved how
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
A tightly written novella, about a podcaster and an influential travel blogger meeting for a one-night stand during a 19 hour layover between flights. I needed it as a palate cleanser after the intensity of Pansies by Alexis Hall and it did the trick perfectly. It’s got great rhythm, mild angst, and plays with forms in interesting ways, being partly told through music playlists, DM threads and podcast transcripts. Recommended.
Deidra (ShadeTreeReads)
Fun read!

Excellent intro into Katrina’s work! This story was the book candy I needed! I’ve got like 3 more of her novellas in the cue.
natalie
OMG this book...just...why did i take so long to read this beautiful book???? How did Katrina pack so much emotion into this novella? I don't know but i adored Tony and Lena. Tony is so cute and sweet and his nervousness at meeting Lena, again face to face, was just *clutches chest*

Them together was perfection. THAT ENDING ! (i cry)

I also loved the entire concept of Lena's playlist. that nostalgia was real. When Lena was going through her memories via those songs? I felt that. Music can teleport
Weekend Reader_
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, novella
Yessss

This was such a layered story! This novella covered friendship, family, grief, community, and of course sexy romance. I loved Lena's character as a travel blogger. I thought it was really great to see a Black female character in a career dominated by others. But then extending the field with the magazine. It felt full circle.

The way Jackson talks about grief as an ongoing process was so cathartic. The loss of a parent, that pain never goes away. I loved the flashbacks too, it was a nod to
Deena
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!

OMG, I do not have the words to describe how much I loved this book! I have no idea how I found it, but I'm so glad that I did! Despite the fact that this book is short, the author doesn't skimp on anything; the storyline and character development are so on point.

I absolutely loved Lena and Tony. She was such an interesting character a and I loved how she turned her passion for traveling into a full-time gig. I wanted to know everything about her, but knowing that the book was short,
Aitza
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
𝗢𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗥𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗚: 4.5/5 STARS⁣⁣
𝗙𝗔𝗩𝗢𝗨𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗔𝗖𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗦: Lena , Tony
𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗔𝗩𝗢𝗨𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗔𝗖𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗦: ⁣⁣N/A
⁣⁣
𝗙𝗔𝗩𝗢𝗨𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗘 𝗔𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗦: I’m on a Black Love™ kick and this falls right into that category. This was a very modern story with a well to do Black travel blogger and Black podcaster. It doesn't get any more modern than that. I love how their friends were appeared in the background and they weren't isolated from the rest of the world despite it being a short read. ⁣⁣This book does tackle grief and a bit
Naika
Lena, a travel blogger and music aficionado, finds herself back in her hometown - one she has been avoiding for years - to record a podcast with Tony, the cute guy she has been flirting with on social meeting ever since their first encounter at a conference. Her return home, and brief dalliance with Tony, has forced her to tackle head on some deep buried thoughts and feelings and reevaluate what she wants in life.

I entered into reading “Layover” knowing that this was a novella. Not a problem as
Classy
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this up after Alyssa Cole recommended it in a video. Then I saw novella and then I remembered, Alyssa recommended it. This book was 124 pages of pure enjoyment. It actually is a quick read, but I am reading several books and decided to read it just before bed. And I am glad I did it.
Lena is a travel blogger ( an music enthusiast who creates banging playlists on Spotify) who doesn't have a permanent residency in her hometown since her mother passed away and Tony is a podcaster on the co
kb
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Checked my list, and say wha?? Only my second romance read for this year?? I chose well, though - or rather, @inwardfangirl on Twitter rec'd well! Thank you! Podcaster (who is Muslim, btw) and travel blogger in a kind of slow burn romance and LDR, which is just my thing, lol. The sweet and the humor and the steam are all in a perfect balance, and if this isn't going straight to my fave reads of 2020, then what kind of happy-ending/happy-for-now fan am I, really. CW for death of a parent

Everythin
Cheryl
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short, but filled with emotion novella.

While I would have loved a little bit more from the story, what I got was unexpected and even beautiful.

I loved the meet-cute between Lena and Tony. I enjoyed how social media was played between them and how their flirting online was sort of not known, but in person, it was FIRE.

What I didn’t expect was how dreamy Tony was. Very much a man who is respectful and allowed to be a guy, but have his feelings.

Then there is Lena. How I connected with her was
C.E. Benson
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just What I Needed

So, this book was not on my TBR. I snagged it a few weeks back and it was just sitting there. I picked up my Kindle to read and just couldn't — my mind just wasn't in a place for what I was supposed to be reading. I clicked the Kindle app on my phone (something I don't do because, like, notifications and distractions right?) and was going to just look at some pretty covers and add to my list, but then I thought, let me give this a shot.

My God, this book was everything I needed
Frida
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"What's your favorite 90's R&B song," Lena asked Tony because at some point in the drive from 90th Avenue, to her favorite hood burrito shop in East Oakland and back to his apartment she'd decided that she was absolutely going to have sex with him, but his taste in music could still change her mind.

Oh the joy of finding a new author who can handle the challenging format that is the Romance Novella! This was SO good! To quote Tony: "Wow Wow Wow."

Their jobs (travel blogger and podcaster) played a
Shawna
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella, own-voices, ku, 2020
4.5 stars. I really really loved this. It took me a few chapters to get into the format, but then it really started to flow, just like a good mixtape. There were a couple of editing errors that almost took me out of it, but didn't impact how much I enjoyed this.

I feel like, of course, it COULD have been longer (more than an epilogue, I would have liked a little more extrapolation of the period of radio silence after their day together), but I was satisfied with what we got.

It started off kind
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2020 is turning into the year of novellas for me, and I’m so glad I read this one. The characters and situation are the perfect fit for a story of this length and not a word is wasted. It was rec’d on a podcast I listen to and had everything I look for in a contemporary romance, from characters who feel utterly real—and occupy a world and landscape I recognize—to use of modern technology, to natural, entertaining dialogue, to a love story I’m rooting for with each breath, to excellent pacing and ...more
Tiffany
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG

This novella has two of my favorite elements, Love & Music.

Lena and Tony were the absolute cutest, their chemistry was so organic and the way she spoke so freely about her fears and her Mother evoked way too much emotion with me.

This story left me greedy for more, like a spoiled child I literally wanted to wail when I realized it was the end Lol You have definitely got to download this novella....it’s soooooo good!!
Susan Cliff
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, sexy, interesting novella. Lena is a travel blogger and Tony does cool podcasts. They meet up in Oakland for a "collab" interview piece, which ends up in Tony's bed. Then Lena disappears from his life to work out some family issues. They spend just enough time together to flirt a lot and fall in love a little bit. Everything about the story just works. Modern voice, good people, low angst/conflict, but plenty of heart and heat. 4.5
Brandan WH
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfection in a short package

I absolutely devoured this book! From the first page, it kept me interested for the duration. I loved the weaving in of music throughout. I believed and liked the characters and thought they worked well together. And the friends and family only added to the love fest. I seriously want to know how Leena and Tony end up, but I’ll have to be satisfied with this glimpse into their start.
Felicia Grossman
I adored this book. I loved Lena and Tony's relationship (the flirting and banter were A+ as was the modernity of the entire relationship. It made it so natural and real and un-contrived) and the lovely way that music ran through this book. What I found super special and meaningful was watching Lena navigate her past, especially regarding her sister (sisters are COMPLICATED) and figuring out how to honor her past while moving forward on her own terms, answering to her own needs.
Haselbrox
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Playlist rabbit hole!!!!

This was so, so great! I picked it up from a recommendation from #RomBkLove 2019 and omg, cutest characters, so many emotions, and now I have to go to spotify to look up the TONS of songs the female MC name drops. Also - serious chemistry with the adorable couple. I'm so happy right now. Can't wait to check out more Katrina Jackson!
HTL
So this is a recommendation from the Fated Mates podcast (my new obsession). They did an episode on Novellas that had me reconsidering my general MEH regarding them.

I really liked this one! I also appreciated the musical nostalgia.
Toya
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I need more Tony and Lena!

This is probably the best novella I’ve read in a long time. I didn’t want the story to end. I kept checking the book progress thinking no, no, no. It can’t be ending already! Great job.
Re
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Follow me and I’ll follow you back

Modern Love😌 I love Lena and Tony’s story! One meeting and a lot of social media interactions, has definitely transformed the dating world and to find black love in it is just blissful.

• Grumpy Jake
  • Guarding Temptation
  • I Think I Might Need You (Love Sisters #2)
  • Me + Somebody's Son: A Heights Story
  • A Taste of Her Own Medicine
  • I Think I Might Love You (Love Sisters, #1)
  • Blind Date with a Book Boyfriend
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • The Roommate
  • Go Deep (Unexpected Lovers #1)
  • Collision Course (Clarke Brothers, #1)
  • Hearts on Hold
  • I Think I Might Want You (Love Sisters #3)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • A Good Luck F*ck
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • 40-Love (There's Something About Marysburg, #2)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
Katrina is a seasoned spinster with an active imagination, a love of romcoms and a keenly critical nature. She's a college professor by day who writes romances by...weekend. Right now she also happens to be on summer vacation. She enjoys yogurt, sparkling water and her three cats, who don't appreciate her love.