Start by marking “Layover” as Want to Read:

Layover

Lena Ward is an unhappy travel blogger with a less than 24 hour layover in her hometown. She spends the day with Tony Dembélé, a podcaster she's been flirting with for a few months online. In their brief time together Lena confronts some hard truths about her life and her past and the two test the waters of their connection.

This is a short story with a sweet and satisfyin
Published April 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Layover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Layover

Rachel
By turns fresh and nostalgic, “Layover” by Katrina Jackson is a powerhouse of a novella. At 124 pages, the author skillfully takes readers on an emotional journey highlighting music, friendship, grief, healing, self-discovery, new love, family, and creativity.

Lena Ward is a travel blogger/vlogger and playlist music maker who feels like she has lost her creative passion.

The traveling she’d done for herself and blogged about had been for the pure pleasure of seeing, experiencing and sharing. But
Jazmen
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
For such a short novel, wow--a lot was packed into this.

Okay. Lena, travel blogger, music playlist maker extraordinaire, is running.

Okay, she's traveling, but she's running. Running from the grief of the loss of her mother; and the things she can't understand--like home, a foundation, and what exactly is she doing with her life?

While working her travel blog, through social media, she meets, Tony. Tony and his boy Kwame, have a podcast, that has catapulted them in to a sort of stardom. In the
Lisa
FREE on Amazon.

This book is so short but the story wrapped up so nicely, I love it. I love books that made me feel. I love that music was integral in the story (Lena made playlists for basically everything), and I love the connection between Tony and Lena. Also, Tony's a Muslim (!!!) which is cool, but I had to force myself to forget that fact during the sex scene I mean Astaghfirullah ya akhi you don't drink but you have sex outside marriage??? lololol but that's just a me thing, it's no big de
Em
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aoc, mf, poc
This book is such a perfect story balancing so many great things. Will come back with a better review.
Deena
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!

OMG, I do not have the words to describe how much I loved this book! I have no idea how I found it, but I'm so glad that I did! Despite the fact that this book is short, the author doesn't skimp on anything; the storyline and character development are so on point.

I absolutely loved Lena and Tony. She was such an interesting character a and I loved how she turned her passion for traveling into a full-time gig. I wanted to know everything about her, but knowing that the book was short,
Tiffany
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG

This novella has two of my favorite elements, Love & Music.

Lena and Tony were the absolute cutest, their chemistry was so organic and the way she spoke so freely about her fears and her Mother evoked way too much emotion with me.

This story left me greedy for more, like a spoiled child I literally wanted to wail when I realized it was the end Lol You have definitely got to download this novella....it’s soooooo good!!
Toya
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I need more Tony and Lena!

This is probably the best novella I’ve read in a long time. I didn’t want the story to end. I kept checking the book progress thinking no, no, no. It can’t be ending already! Great job.
Anne Crow
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Loved how this was told, really felt both Lena and Tony, loved them together (and her sister Lisa and friend Aiya), the back-and-forth with past and family and what was right in front of them. I trust this author with her characters.
Carolyn J.
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice and Easy

The story was a nice easy read with a musical backdrop. The couple was fresh and had a nice sexy vibe... I liked this story a lot.... I need to see what else she has going on...
Re
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Follow me and I’ll follow you back

Modern Love😌 I love Lena and Tony’s story! One meeting and a lot of social media interactions, has definitely transformed the dating world and to find black love in it is just blissful.
Deirdre Davis
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Layover

Layover gets standing ovation and two snaps for just being a really sweet story! Lena and Tony were the right couple at the right time. Will there be more from them in the future?
Mary Saha
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mean ending

Why did you have to end it there? It was just getting good!
Great story and perfect for a one sitting read. Katrina Jackson is definitely in my top five favorite romance authors. I hope to see a lot more from her.
Natalya | TheIslandReader
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Fun, sexy novella with a cool musical vibe that reminded me a bit of Brown Sugar.
Turtleberry
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesomeness

So, this story was amazing. I knew it would be good but damn. I kept clicking at the end cause I was ready for another 50-100 pages.

Still, I really enjoyed this!
Valerie
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I need more!!!

Good story, just needed more. I hope there's another installment to this story. Lena and Tony need a real happy ever after!!!
Theresa
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This book was great I feel like there is still so much left to be told with them but at least Tiny was able to get the happy ending he deserved.
Natasha P
Kay
Sep 16, 2018
Chefgirlardee
Apr 20, 2018
Katrina is a seasoned spinster with an active imagination, a love of romcoms and a keenly critical nature. She's a college professor by day who writes romances by...weekend. Right now she also happens to be on summer vacation. She enjoys yogurt, sparkling water and her three cats, who don't appreciate her love.