Start by marking “Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)” as Want to Read:
Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)

Between Jobs

(The City Between #1)

When you get up in the morning, the last thing you expect is to see a murdered guy hanging outside your window. Things like that tend to draw the attention of the local police, and when you’re squatting in your parents’ old house until you can afford to buy it, another thing you can’t afford is the attention of the cops.

Oh yeah. Hi. My name is Pet.

It’s not my real name
Published May 31st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Between Jobs, please sign up.
W.R. Gingell I was hoping to have it published by August 31st, but it might end up being as late as Sept 30th =) (Shouldn't be any later, though!)…moreI was hoping to have it published by August 31st, but it might end up being as late as Sept 30th =) (Shouldn't be any later, though!)(less)

Start your review of Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
Sylvia Mercedes
So any of you who have been following my blog for any length of time at all already know this--I'm completely mad about anything written by W.R. Gingell. I mean, seriously. If it's got her name on it, I'm there. But usually she writes fairy-tale retellings (sort of) with a more classic fantasy flair (kind of), so when I saw that she was writing an urban fantasy featuring fae and vampires, I was a bit surprised. Intrigued. Bewildered.

And totally on board for whatever she wanted to write.

I actua
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, chaste
This book is different in a lot of ways so it's going to be really hard to predict who might like it or not. The main character goes by Pet, though it's a couple of chapters before that actually happens. Her background is definitely fraught. Her parents died three years ago and she's been essentially squatting in their home ever since in a tiny bedroom hidden behind a bookcase (child-me has definite envy, here). She works sub-rosa at a diner that pays in a mix of cash and food with the plan to b ...more
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was surprisingly fun. I hope in the next book the romance kicks up a notch.
Kateblue
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
1) Great worldbuilding, poorly explained.
2) Clunky writing.
3) ADD first-person protagonist. Just when you thought something was going to happen, she's talking about something else. No action was ever described without 20 asides and digressions. It's like a puppy, and it's seeing squirrels repeatedly, which makes it frantic and too excited.
4) Not really a cliffhanger, but lots of new ideas and unfinished threads at the end. Yet I don't feel like reading the next one. If I thought the asides and
Christa
7/1/19 - on sale for $0.99 and free on kindle unlimited

“I can only imagine the mess it might cause, and as a whole, the Fae are only inclined to approve of mess when it’s their own doing.”

Our protagonist, we will call her Pet, is squatting in her parents house. They were murdered seven years ago, and she is avoiding social services and working at a crappy job so she can be paid in cash and stay off the radar.

The story begins when she looks out her window and sees a murder victim. The police
Poplora
Hi. We need to talk. Just a lil' ol' heart to heart here. About this story.

When I read books, it's very difficult for me to become attached to characters. I'm a big old baby who cries at the drop of a hat. Doesn't even matter if it's a sad event, I'll cry when it's happy, I cry when I laugh, I cry when something is cute.

I get dehydrated a lot.

So, in the attempts to prevent myself from becoming a shriveled husk there's some things i'm a little more cynical with. Getting too attached to fiction
Intisar Khanani
A fast-paced fun read, starting with bloody murder and featuring two cold-blooded fae and one very pouty vampire. Our main character, Pet, has a fabulous voice, and is both fearless and pragmatic, a wonderful combination. Definitely recommend!
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) by: ☕️Kimberly
Shelves: 3-stars, library-love
Between Jobs is book one in The City Between series by W. R. Gingell and narrated by Zehra Jane Naqvi.

I was so enamored by the audio narration. Zehra Jane Naqvi captured me from the first moment until the last. I couldn’t stop listening! I loved all the voices; especially JinYeoung, vampire, who will only speak Korean even though he knows English and understands it. This element added something more and special to the story.

Between Jobs is an interesting and unusual story. I liked the concept a
Hayden
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, indies
It's not often that I can say that I've truly fallen head-over-heels for a book. After all, considering the amount of books I read, I'm rather sparse in handing out those five stars.

But I think I've found my new favorite book series.

Dark but hilarious, with an endearing heroine sassily annoying (and being annoyed by) her three "psychos," Between Jobs is the sort of book I've always wished existed but could never quite find.

I definitely loved it.
Andrea
This is such an interesting read, and I had so much fun with the characters!

description

So-in this book we have our main h, Pet (thats right Pet), who is a 17 year old living and squatting in the house where her parents were brutally murdered when she was 13. She has been on her own since then by working under the table jobs in hopes of earning enough to eventually buy her parents house outright.

However, her plan of staying hidden and under the radar changes when the guy next door is killed under mysterious
Gwen
The best fun I have had between two covers in ages!

I mean how can this not catch your attention:

Hi. My name is Pet. It’s not my real name, but it’s the only one you’re getting. Things like names are important these days. And it’s not so much that I’m Pet. I am a pet. A human pet; I belong to two Behindkind fae and a pouty vampire. It’s not weird, I promise—well, it is weird, yeah. But it’s not weird weird, you know? Hang on, I’m getting ahead of myself. I’ll go back to the first day I saw them.
Tricia Mingerink
Re-Read Review:
Did I just re-read this book only about a month after reading it the first time? Yep. Yep, I did. It's that good. Also, it came out on audiobook, so of course I immediately bought the audiobook and had to listen to it.

The audiobook narrator does a great job with this crazy book. I loved the trace of Australian accent that reminded me of the setting but wasn't so overwhelming that it made the book hard to understand. Well done. Well worth a listen.

Original Review:
Oh. My. Vampir
Camila
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fucking-terrible
Alright guys. My Quirky Book of the Year monitor is DONE. And I mean, overheated.

I saw RAVING reviews for this book.
I thought I was in for a treat.

I was actually in for a constant cuppa tea and coffee.

Maybe I wasn’t invested or interested, because nothing was remotely:
- thrilling
- exciting
- page turner worthy
- made me want to keep reading

But everything was certainly annoying or creepy.

This is how much quirk I can handle:
|—————|

This is how quirky this book was:
|—————————————————————|

Zero and A
Jessie
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quite a refreshing read. I enjoyed it immensely. Wait, now that I think about it I do not know the name of the h. Throughout the book she was referred to as Pet. 🤔. She’s a little bit loose in the head but that’s one of her good qualities. She handled herself pretty well for a 17 year old living with three supernatural psychos. Pretty smart mouthed too and clever.
I’m still trying to figure out Zero, The immature vamp and the old hoot who finds amusement in serious gruesome situations. Will the d
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
This is going to be a review for the whole series, which I don't usually do but it's a LONG one and I can't be bothered to review every single book individually.

To put it bluntly: these books are awesome. Here's a range of things I love about the series...

✔️ Excellent technical writing, flows well and hooks you straight in. I read all SEVEN books in FOUR days.

✔️ Amazing unique plot. 17-year-old 'Pet' has been living alone in her house, secretly, since her parents died. One day three supernatur
Melliane
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en français

My English review

After seeing this novel on Kimberly’s blog and with her great review, I was curious to read this first volume myself.

I must say that this novel is a little UFO all by itself. We follow Pet, whose name we will never know and whose age is only approximately known. We don’t know how she looks, but she’s here. I must tell you that for several chapters, I thought it was a boy before I understood that no, it was actually a girl, that’s to say!

Pet has been livi
Katie Hanna
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nope.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

This is not for me. And frankly, I can't recommend it to anybody else. I have friends who already have read it and enjoy it, and that's fine; but I'm not recommending it.

Basicallyyyyyyyyyyyyy . . . it's a story about a human girl who has three supernatural weirdos (2 fae and 1 vampire) living in her house. They call her their 'pet,' although I would say she's more like their 'slave.' Because, get this:

They refer to her as 'it.'

Not 'she.' Not 'they/them' (no
Suzannah
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Bravo, Wendee!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While I'll always have a particularly soft spot for Masque, I think this unique, peculiar, and darkly comedic urban fantasy might be the best thing of hers I've read yet.

First, there's the fun of the Australian setting, which is most evident in Pet's language. Then there are the characters. Pet's "three psychos" are all utterly distinct, memorable, and dangerous in their own unique ways, and their backstories, dimly glimpsed, add much epic to the st
J.M. Stengl
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't believe I've ever read anything quite like BETWEEN JOBS. In fact, I'm sure of it! And now I am totally hooked and can hardly wait for Book 2.

"Pet" is a great viewpoint character. She is secretive, resourceful, incredibly brave, mysterious (she doesn't understand her own past), and a talented cook. Her three "psychos" are awesome, with distinct character quirks and flaws, and each relates to Pet in a different way. They are creepy, immensely powerful, enigmatic--whether or not they are "g
Brandy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, fae
I couldn't put this book down. Even though I didn't always understand what was going on I was compelled to continue turn to the next page. The author did a wonderful job world building, mixing the mundane with the extraordinary to create something magical.

I recommend anyone to give this one a try. It's just unique enough with a hint of familiarity.
☕️Kimberly
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between Jobs was a cool mix. A murder-mystery involving supernaturals and the worlds of Humans, the Between and the Behind. It offered a unique world and twist on paranormals while mixing in elements of humor.

Set in Hobart, Tasmania. I loved the Australian setting. The world building unfolded as Pet learned. On the plus side it kept the pace fast and light despite the dark grisly murders and freakishness of the Behind. There is more to be discovered and Gingell succeeded in making me want more.

I
Estara
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal suspense and the author
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2018
WRG doing full on paranormal urban fantasy that is Fae-based in this one. The book length on opening my ebook seemed short to me, but there is a whole lot of development and action put into the story, and I want to find out more about the world and especially the characters.

There are three paranormals of varied origin, I was especially intrigued by the Korean one. The pov-character thinks of herself as human, but there are hints we might be dealing with an unreliable narrator here.

The book doesn
Ozsaur
Pet is a great narrator. She's strong and determined on her own, but when she finds herself helping three powerful beings investigating a murder, she becomes a part of something bigger.

I wasn't too fond of the idea of a human being, especially a teenage girl, being a pet. I was surprised at how well that aspect of the book was handled. The three male characters see all humans as lesser, and I see how in future books, they may learn a lesson or two. They are more puzzled than anything by Pet, and
Kenny Danewitz raveh
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know what to expect.
I thought it will be a reverse harem (I hate reverse harem!!!) but it wasn’t.
A note to myself... please check if there’s any sign of romance before you start reading!!!
What can I tell you? Nada, nothing,zilch.
It was a nice read, liked Pet a lot, she was smart and care free, she knew how to deal with the boys.
I had some issues though. First, some of the plot was complicated and I didn’t even get it at the end.
The world outside of this world was very complicated but ev
 Simply Sam ツ
I have no idea why I was so skeptical of this book. I've put off reading it for quite some time, never feeling like I was in the mood to read it. But for some reason, I kept it in my KU library. Really pleased that I did. Man, it was such an enjoyable read. There's not a bit of romance (which is generally just a tad off putting for me...I usually like at least a smidge in my books) but the characters more than made up for it. I can't wait to see what happens next! ...more
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
4.5

Loved Pet and how snarky she was plus the dynamics between them all worked really well.

While there was no romance in this book I'm hoping that something starts to develop further in the series and seeing as 10 books are planned I'll be annoyed if there isn't.
Carrie-Anne Thomas
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read the many, many books I've had on my Kindle for ages (read: since I got them when they were free).

Turns out this one is really good.

Now I have to get the next one in the series.

I will never get to the other books on my Kindle.
OldBird
An urban fantasy with an Aussie twist that sounded like a faerie-based Neverwhere? I was sold until I realised I barely had a clue what was going on. Despite finishing the book, I'm still not sure what the point of it all was. Like a beat that never drops, this novel gets going... And then stops.

So we have "Pet", a seventeen year old squatting in her murdered parents' house until she's old enough to buy it outright. There's been another killing, and the victim lived across the street. It's attra
Hannah  Cook
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book... I almost shut it. I was 40% through and still as bored as when I started. I mean, yeah, there was a boy living in a secret room and going to work, blood and guts, fae and vampire hanging out in his living room drinking coffee. But I used a chapter a night to put myself to sleep. I'm not a fan of first person either, so maybe that was why I wasn't entertained.

I pressed on...So thrilled I did! Things became interesting. First, the boy wasn't boy at all! He became a she which instantly
Abbie
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t think I’ve ever read a book that is so unparalleled by anything I’ve read before! The writing style is so different to other works I’ve read (though I’d say this was my first ever proper urban fantasy). At first I didn’t like how things weren’t explained, but now I’ve grown to love the unknowingness evokes by Between Jobs that sparks your own imagination. It is definitely one of a kind!! My favourite characters were most definitely Pet and Athelas; I cant wait to find out what happens ne ...more

• Crown of Moonlight (Court of Midnight and Deception #2)
  • The Queen's Crown (Court of Midnight and Deception #3)
  • The Legendary Inge
  • Crown of Shadows (Court of Midnight and Deception #1)
  • Kingdom of Ruses
  • The Heir and the Spare
  • A Sharpened Axe
  • Namesake
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • The Faceless Mage (Legends of Abreia, #1)
  • Blue Fire
  • The Court of Mortals (Stariel, #3)
  • The Werewolf of Whitechapel
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • Goldmayne: A Fairy Tale
W.R. Gingell is a Tasmanian author of urban fantasy, fairy-tale retellings, and madcap science fiction who doesn’t seem to be able to write a book without a body suddenly turning up. She solemnly swears that all such bodies are strictly fictional in nature.

W.R. spends her time reading, drinking a truly ridiculous amount of tea, and slouching in front of the fire to write. Like Peter Pan, she never

The City Between (8 books)
  • Between Shifts (The City Between, #2)
  • Between Floors (The City Between, #3)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)
  • Between Walls (The City Between #6)
  • Between Cases (The City Between, #7)
  • Between Decisions (The City Between, #8)