Start by marking “Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)” as Want to Read:
Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)

Between Jobs

(The City Between #1)

When you get up in the morning, the last thing you expect is to see a murdered guy hanging outside your window. Things like that tend to draw the attention of the local police, and when youre squatting in your parents old house until you can afford to buy it, another thing you cant afford is the attention of the cops.

Oh yeah. Hi. My name is Pet.

Its not my real name,
Published May 31st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Between Jobs, please sign up.
W.R. Gingell I was hoping to have it published by August 31st, but it might end up being as late as Sept 30th =) (Shouldn't be any later, though!)

Start your review of Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
Sylvia Mercedes
So any of you who have been following my blog for any length of time at all already know this--I'm completely mad about anything written by W.R. Gingell. I mean, seriously. If it's got her name on it, I'm there. But usually she writes fairy-tale retellings (sort of) with a more classic fantasy flair (kind of), so when I saw that she was writing an urban fantasy featuring fae and vampires, I was a bit surprised. Intrigued. Bewildered.

And totally on board for whatever she wanted to write.

I
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was surprisingly fun. I hope in the next book the romance kicks up a notch.
Christa
7/1/19 - on sale for $0.99 and free on kindle unlimited

I can only imagine the mess it might cause, and as a whole, the Fae are only inclined to approve of mess when its their own doing.

Our protagonist, we will call her Pet, is squatting in her parents house. They were murdered seven years ago, and she is avoiding social services and working at a crappy job so she can be paid in cash and stay off the radar.

The story begins when she looks out her window and sees a murder victim. The police
Poplora
Hi. We need to talk. Just a lil' ol' heart to heart here. About this story.

When I read books, it's very difficult for me to become attached to characters. I'm a big old baby who cries at the drop of a hat. Doesn't even matter if it's a sad event, I'll cry when it's happy, I cry when I laugh, I cry when something is cute.

I get dehydrated a lot.

So, in the attempts to prevent myself from becoming a shriveled husk there's some things i'm a little more cynical with. Getting too attached to
Kateblue
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
1) Great worldbuilding, poorly explained.
2) Clunky writing.
3) ADD first-person protagonist. Just when you thought something was going to happen, she's talking about something else. No action was ever described without 20 asides and digressions. It's like a puppy, and it's seeing squirrels repeatedly, which makes it frantic and too excited.
4) Not really a cliffhanger, but lots of new ideas and unfinished threads at the end. Yet I don't feel like reading the next one. If I thought the asides and
Hayden
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indies, mystery, fantasy
It's not often that I can say that I've truly fallen head-over-heels for a book. After all, considering the amount of books I read, I'm rather sparse in handing out those five stars.

But I think I've found my new favorite book series.

Dark but hilarious, with an endearing heroine sassily annoying (and being annoyed by) her three "psychos," Between Jobs is the sort of book I've always wished existed but could never quite find.

I definitely loved it.
Intisar Khanani
A fast-paced fun read, starting with bloody murder and featuring two cold-blooded fae and one very pouty vampire. Our main character, Pet, has a fabulous voice, and is both fearless and pragmatic, a wonderful combination. Definitely recommend!
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Between Jobs is book one in The City Between series by W. R. Gingell and narrated by Zehra Jane Naqvi.

I was so enamored by the audio narration. Zehra Jane Naqvi captured me from the first moment until the last. I couldnt stop listening! I loved all the voices; especially JinYeoung, vampire, who will only speak Korean even though he knows English and understands it. This element added something more and special to the story.

Between Jobs is an interesting and unusual story. I liked the concept
Tricia Mingerink
Re-Read Review:
Did I just re-read this book only about a month after reading it the first time? Yep. Yep, I did. It's that good. Also, it came out on audiobook, so of course I immediately bought the audiobook and had to listen to it.

The audiobook narrator does a great job with this crazy book. I loved the trace of Australian accent that reminded me of the setting but wasn't so overwhelming that it made the book hard to understand. Well done. Well worth a listen.

Original Review:
Oh. My.
Gwen
The best fun I have had between two covers in ages!

I mean how can this not catch your attention:

Hi. My name is Pet. Its not my real name, but its the only one youre getting. Things like names are important these days. And its not so much that Im Pet. I am a pet. A human pet; I belong to two Behindkind fae and a pouty vampire. Its not weird, I promisewell, it is weird, yeah. But its not weird weird, you know? Hang on, Im getting ahead of myself. Ill go back to the first day I saw them. When I
Camila
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fucking-terrible
Alright guys. My Quirky Book of the Year monitor is DONE. And I mean, overheated.

I saw RAVING reviews for this book.
I thought I was in for a treat.

I was actually in for a constant cuppa tea and coffee.

Maybe I wasnt invested or interested, because nothing was remotely:
- thrilling
- exciting
- page turner worthy
- made me want to keep reading

But everything was certainly annoying or creepy.

This is how much quirk I can handle:

This is how quirky this book was:

Zero and Athelas were the only
Melliane
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en français

My English review

After seeing this novel on Kimberlys blog and with her great review, I was curious to read this first volume myself.

I must say that this novel is a little UFO all by itself. We follow Pet, whose name we will never know and whose age is only approximately known. We dont know how she looks, but shes here. I must tell you that for several chapters, I thought it was a boy before I understood that no, it was actually a girl, thats to say!

Pet has been living
Suzannah
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Bravo, Wendee!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While I'll always have a particularly soft spot for Masque, I think this unique, peculiar, and darkly comedic urban fantasy might be the best thing of hers I've read yet.

First, there's the fun of the Australian setting, which is most evident in Pet's language. Then there are the characters. Pet's "three psychos" are all utterly distinct, memorable, and dangerous in their own unique ways, and their backstories, dimly glimpsed, add much epic to the
Brandy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, fae
I couldn't put this book down. Even though I didn't always understand what was going on I was compelled to continue turn to the next page. The author did a wonderful job world building, mixing the mundane with the extraordinary to create something magical.

I recommend anyone to give this one a try. It's just unique enough with a hint of familiarity.
Katie  Hanna
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nope.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

This is not for me. And frankly, I can't recommend it to anybody else. I have friends who already have read it and enjoy it, and that's fine; but I'm not recommending it.

Basicallyyyyyyyyyyyyy . . . it's a story about a human girl who has three supernatural weirdos (2 fae and 1 vampire) living in her house. They call her their 'pet,' although I would say she's more like their 'slave.' Because, get this:

They refer to her as 'it.'

Not 'she.' Not 'they/them'
☕️Kimberly
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Between Jobs was a cool mix. A murder-mystery involving supernaturals and the worlds of Humans, the Between and the Behind. It offered a unique world and twist on paranormals while mixing in elements of humor.

Set in Hobart, Tasmania. I loved the Australian setting. The world building unfolded as Pet learned. On the plus side it kept the pace fast and light despite the dark grisly murders and freakishness of the Behind. There is more to be discovered and Gingell succeeded in making me want more.

I
J.M. Stengl
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't believe I've ever read anything quite like BETWEEN JOBS. In fact, I'm sure of it! And now I am totally hooked and can hardly wait for Book 2.

"Pet" is a great viewpoint character. She is secretive, resourceful, incredibly brave, mysterious (she doesn't understand her own past), and a talented cook. Her three "psychos" are awesome, with distinct character quirks and flaws, and each relates to Pet in a different way. They are creepy, immensely powerful, enigmatic--whether or not they are
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
4.5

Loved Pet and how snarky she was plus the dynamics between them all worked really well.

While there was no romance in this book I'm hoping that something starts to develop further in the series and seeing as 10 books are planned I'll be annoyed if there isn't.
Ozsaur
Pet is a great narrator. She's strong and determined on her own, but when she finds herself helping three powerful beings investigating a murder, she becomes a part of something bigger.

I wasn't too fond of the idea of a human being, especially a teenage girl, being a pet. I was surprised at how well that aspect of the book was handled. The three male characters see all humans as lesser, and I see how in future books, they may learn a lesson or two. They are more puzzled than anything by Pet, and
Kenny Danewitz raveh
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didnt know what to expect.
I thought it will be a reverse harem (I hate reverse harem!!!) but it wasnt.
A note to myself... please check if theres any sign of romance before you start reading!!!
What can I tell you? Nada, nothing,zilch.
It was a nice read, liked Pet a lot, she was smart and care free, she knew how to deal with the boys.
I had some issues though. First, some of the plot was complicated and I didnt even get it at the end.
The world outside of this world was very complicated but even
Estara
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal suspense and the author
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2018
WRG doing full on paranormal urban fantasy that is Fae-based in this one. The book length on opening my ebook seemed short to me, but there is a whole lot of development and action put into the story, and I want to find out more about the world and especially the characters.

There are three paranormals of varied origin, I was especially intrigued by the Korean one. The pov-character thinks of herself as human, but there are hints we might be dealing with an unreliable narrator here.

The book
Merie Shen
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay... whoa.

I first gave this book a try because I read an interview with the author about the inspiration behind this series, and I was intrigued with the idea of the storyworld. I'm glad I read this; I'm definitely binge-reading the rest that are out.

I didn't really like Pet-- something about her, like maybe her reactions, or lack thereof, to crazy things that occur in the story, was just strange. I did like the Hobart setting and the slang, although sometimes it got a bit much. I mean, do
Carrie-Anne Thomas
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read the many, many books I've had on my Kindle for ages (read: since I got them when they were free).

Turns out this one is really good.

Now I have to get the next one in the series.

I will never get to the other books on my Kindle.
Ariel Masters
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book... I almost shut it. I was 40% through and still as bored as when I started. I mean, yeah, there was a boy living in a secret room and going to work, blood and guts, fae and vampire hanging out in his living room drinking coffee. But I used a chapter a night to put myself to sleep. I'm not a fan of first person either, so maybe that was why I wasn't entertained.

I pressed on...So thrilled I did! Things became interesting. First, the boy wasn't boy at all! He became a she which instantly
Beka
I FLAMIN LOVED THIS BOOK.

Im not usually an urban fantasy reader but this book had me absolutely hooked on the characters and their intrigue. But now Im like salivating for the next book cuz I need to know what happens next to Pet and her psychos!!! I need to know the answers to all my questions...

Jan
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the sixth book I've read by Ms. Gingell this year. It's the newest book she's published and very different than others I've read so far. It's an urban fantasy rather than a fairy tale retelling which is what the books are that I've read so far.

I started out wondering a little about this story since the only name we have for the main character, a 17-year-old girl, is Pet. I was afraid I wasn't going to like a story about a girl kept as a pet by two Fae and a vampire. However, much as the
Between Jobs was an excellent urban fantasy mystery! It lost a star only because I was a little uncomfortable with certain elements towards the beginning of the book. Otherwise, though, I really enjoyed it. The fantasy elements are very well done, the vampire isn't frustrating (or, not in the ways he easily could've been), the main character is reasonably practical and sensible, and it's just generally a great story. I will definitely be picking up the other books in the series as soon as I know ...more
OldBird
An urban fantasy with an Aussie twist that sounded like a faerie-based Neverwhere? I was sold until I realised I barely had a clue what was going on. Despite finishing the book, I'm still not sure what the point of it all was. Like a beat that never drops, this novel gets going... And then stops.

So we have "Pet", a seventeen year old squatting in her murderer parents' house until she's old enough to buy it outright. There's been another killing, and the victim lived across the street. It's
Corey
Nov 13, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Abandoned halfway through. I really wanted to like this one. It starts off strong, but the narration - saturated with sassy inner monologues and stuck-out tongues and a billion uses of the word psycho - gradually killed any interest I had in the premise. ...more
 Simply Sam ツ
I have no idea why I was so skeptical of this book. I've put off reading it for quite some time, never feeling like I was in the mood to read it. But for some reason, I kept it in my KU library. Really pleased that I did. Man, it was such an enjoyable read. There's not a bit of romance (which is generally just a tad off putting for me...I usually like at least a smidge in my books) but the characters more than made up for it. I can't wait to see what happens next!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • The Legendary Inge
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • Soot and Slipper
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • The Prince of Secrets (Stariel #2)
  • Goldmayne: A Fairy Tale
  • Tournament of Ruses (Ruses, #2)
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Brine and Bone
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Kingdom of Ruses (Ruses, #1)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Namesake
  • Curse of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #2)
W.R. Gingell is a Tasmanian author who is definitely not getting old. She loves to rewrite fairytales with a twist or twoand a murder or threeand original fantasy where dragons, enchantresses, and other magical creatures abound. Occasionally she will also dip her toes into the waters of SciFi.

W.R. spends her time reading, drinking an inordinate amount of tea, and slouching in front of the fire to

The City Between (5 books)
  • Between Shifts (The City Between #2)
  • Between Floors (The City Between #3)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)

News & Interviews