Start by marking “We Sold Our Souls” as Want to Read:
We Sold Our Souls

We Sold Our Souls

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  5,498 ratings  ·  1,111 reviews
In the 1990s, heavy metal band Dürt Würk was poised for breakout success -- but then lead singer Terry Hunt embarked on a solo career and rocketed to stardom as Koffin, leaving his fellow bandmates to rot in rural Pennsylvania.

Two decades later, former guitarist Kris Pulaski works as the night manager of a Best Western - she's tired, broke, and unhappy. Everything changes
Published September 18th 2018 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about We Sold Our Souls, please sign up.
Jody Are you allowed The Shinning or Twilight it this library? Yes, I'm aware these are vastly different books, but if the answer is "yes" allow this book,…moreAre you allowed The Shinning or Twilight it this library? Yes, I'm aware these are vastly different books, but if the answer is "yes" allow this book, please. And if you haven't already allow My Best Friend's Exorcism. I would say teens would like it and it's no worse than any standard horror movie, video game, or thing they'll see on Creepy Pasta. Grady's novels play out like a non preachy cautionary tale to be a true and loyal friend. However, if you are somewhere where they took "Santanic Panic" seriously in the last 20 years (not 30) it may be an issue as the irony of Hendrix may escape these sad adults and yet... I'm sure everyone will be forced to read The Crucible or The Good Earth or some book where some girl is forced into marriage/sex slavery and you read in graphic detail her death... Anyway, have fun. Note: I haven't read this book yet but I feel like I know Hendrix and what he's going for with My Best Friend's Exorcism and I'm based on Beccanox (below answer) there doesn't seem to be anything too bad.I'm also going to read it like right now, and will update this answer. (less)
Cavak Well, there's a few graphic elements that are unique to the hardcover and paperback editions. Yay for variety!

The paperback version has the magazine m…more

The paperback version has the magazine mock-up cover that hints at events in the story. Time skips are written on black pages. The "radio clips" throughout the story are written in typewriter font and printed on gray pages. One of the best visuals for me was the author's acknowledgement section being written like Dürt Würk's album notes. You can see the band's logo there.

Oh, and the line spacing makes for easy reading too. Nice font size.

But it's not like the story actually changes. Depends on how much you'd want to own a physical copy. (less)

·  5,498 ratings  ·  1,111 reviews

Start your review of We Sold Our Souls
karen
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best horror 2018! what will happen?

A girl with a guitar never has to apologize for anything.

i’ve read all three of grady hendrix’s novels, and while none of them have scared me, they’ve all entertained me.

this is the least fun of his books. there are occasional smiles, like when you notice that all the chapter titles are the names of metal albums, or when he sneaks something cheeky in, like citing nick sharman as a rock journalist from Kerrang! maga
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Loved the black stained edges and what looks like Viking runes on the front cover. What do I know!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Julie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix is a 2018 Quirk Books publication.
It’s the 90s and heavy metal rules the rock and roll music machine.
Dürt Würk is right on the cusp of fame when suddenly their singer, Terry Hunt, pulls out, goes solo, changes his name and becomes a mega-superstar. He leaves his former bandmates in the dust, taking everything with him, including the rights to their music.

Decades pass, and Dürt Würk’s guitarist, Kris Pulaski, is barely scraping by, working as the night manage
Mort
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mind is going a million miles an hour right now - I hope this review will make sense.

Loved this book. Loved everything about this book. It's as though Grady Hendrix asked me how I would like my horror served. And he delivered more than he promised.

Phew, let me take a breath and try to break this down into smaller chunks. I'm a rocker at heart, but some of my music taste moves into heavy metal. You could say I'm like a fringe player, knowing only enough to know what I like and what I don't.

He
Char
" Hard rock, heavy metal, stoner rock, doom metal-it all dragged itself up out of the swamp called the blues. "

As a major fan of the blues, how could I not be aware of Robert Johnson's story? Legend says he sold his soul at the crossroads to play the guitar like that. Maybe he wasn't the only one doing the selling?

WE SOLD OUR SOULS is the story of a band in turmoil, maybe not a great band, but one that affected people. One that got people through the hard times...one that helped them celebrate
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I’d been meaning to read something by Grady Hendrix for ages, so I jumped at the chance to review We Sold Our Souls. I’d heard so many of my friends rave about his writing in general, but as a metalhead, I was especially sold on the idea of an entire horror story revolving around this washed-up former metal star and her old bandmate’s essential deal with the devil to gain his fame.

She had nothing. Except her music.

First, let’s talk about Kris Pulaski, our former guitarist protagonis
Dan Schwent
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 2018-books
In the 1990s, Kris Pulaski was the guitar player in a metal band called Dürt Würk. Now, she's broke and working the desk at Best Western. When one of her old bandmates announces the farewell tour of Koffin, his new band, Kris goes looking for some payback...

I'm a huge fan of Paperbacks from Hell and I liked My Best Friend's Exorcism so my interest was picqued. Fortunately, I won a Goodreads giveaway for this book a few weeks ago.

We Sold Our Souls is told in two parallel tracks: the wreckage of
Ginger
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 intense and glorious stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Damn, I loved this one. A book containing heavy metal music and horror? Uh, yes please!
Grady Hendrix, we’re not worthy!

We Sold Our Souls was a fun romp of a book from the rural setting of Pennsylvania, the soul sucking economy of West Virginia to the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas.

Kris Pulaski is middle aged, broke and working at Best Western. She’s wondering what the hell happened for the last 20 years and how did she get in this place?

She was the lead g
Bark
Everybody has been raving about this book. I haven’t read one negative thing and that’s rare in blogland. We like to complain and pick things apart. Or at least I know I do. I probably shouldn’t speak for everyone else. But I think that’s what makes us (or me) so fantastic, haha. Now that I’ve finally read it, (sorry Netgalley, I am late again but you really should know this about me by now) I totally understand why this book is being treated like horror gold. Author Grady Hendrix knows the horr ...more
Justin
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the first chapter of this gem, the protagonist, Kris, is picking up an old guitar and reliving her glory days in a metal band. In the second chapter, a naked man walks into a Best Western and pees all over everything.

And that’s when I knew this book was for me.

Friends, if there is one thing I love more than books it’s music. I’m not a fan of death metal (although I did go through a big nu metal phase in high school), but it doesn’t matter. This book grabbed me from the very beginning, and I
Bradley
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2020-shelf
I have a SERIOUS love going on for all these music novels. The more wild, the more music-mythological, the more gut-wrenchingly SWEET and SOUR taste of broken dreams and soaring to unattainable heights, the better. :)

And you know what? I don't care WHAT kind of genre we mix it with or whether it IS mixed. Music is a LIFE. And for me, I don't even care what style it is. I've been in my Metal phase. I've owned the breakaway. I've told the world to ****-off.

So what happens when Grady writes the ul
Kimberly
4.5*

WE SOLD OUR SOULS, by Grady Hendrix, is a psychologically intense novel involving a one-time metal band and the power inherent in their music and lyrics. Years ago, five people formed a band called "Durt Wurk"--a band that was good, and had the potential to be great. Then came the day that their lead singer, Terry Hunt, decided he wanted more . . .

Kris Pulaski--now nothing more than a motel clerk--clearly remembers her triumphant struggle to where she knew they had something special. Her me
Latasha
audiobook review march 2019:
Carol Monda did a great job of narrating. Still love the story. it just sucks me right in and i can't stop listening to it.

12/31/18
this book is sticking with me and I've recommended it to several people so i bumped it up to 5 stars. i left the original rating & review below.

4.5

oh Grady Hendrix! I've read 2 books by this guy this month (dec 2018) and both have been great(the other is my best friend's exorcism)! Some of the people i read this with found it depressing
Ashley Daviau
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have no words that can accurately describe how freaking AMAZING and out of this world this book was but I’m going to give it a try. I knew it would be good because it’s basically my two favourite things smashed into one, horror and metal. But I had no idea just how good it would be and it absolutely blew my mind! This isn’t just one the best horror books I’ve read this year but one of the best horror books I’ve EVER read. It was dark and gritty and by the end of it I felt like I’d sell my soul ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Once again, Grady Hendrix is back with another fantastic, self-aware horror novel.

Playing with the classics tropes of the genre, this novel was smart and well written. The narrative was very fast paced and action packed, bringing along the reader for an entertaining adventure.

This novel will particularly appeal to readers with a background in music, specifically heavy metal. This is book was still accessible to less musically-inclined people, like myself, but I know I was the perfect
Eilonwy
4-1/2 stars

Twenty years ago, Kris was the lead guitarist and songwriter for a semi-successful metal band called Dürt Würk. But when the lead singer left, the band broke up. Some members have done well for themselves, but not Kris. She’s barely scraping by, working the night shift at a Best Western run by her brother. But when Terry/the Blind King starts posting billboards everywhere to advertise his farewell tour, Kris realizes it’s time to figure out what really happened to Dürt Würk the nig
Mindi
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was sent to the Night Worms review group by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I have been a fan of Hendrix ever since I discovered Horrorstör when it was released. When this book showed up at my house I just stared at it and pawed it for a while. It's so gorgeous and metal AF. Needless to say I couldn't wait to read this one.

The first night I picked it up I made it to the 38% point. Last night I finished it. That's how much I was caught up in this story. Hendrix turns thi
Ivy H
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blair
I needed something undemanding to read over a couple of train journeys, and We Sold Our Souls fitted the bill. I haven't got on with Grady Hendrix's work previously (had to give up on Horrorstör because it was too gory; just couldn't get into My Best Friend's Exorcism) so I wasn't necessarily expecting much here, but for whatever reason it worked brilliantly.

The story's about Kris, who used to be the guitarist in a metal band called Dürt Würk. In the 90s, just as they were about to get big,
Twerking To Beethoven
I'm always looking for something reminding me of Trick or Treat (which, in case you're wondering, happens to be one of the most monumental pieces of cinematic crap ever produced, but still an amazing eighties movie). I crave for low budget horror featuring a huge chunk of heavy metal and supernatural (bull)shit(*). So, when I went through the synopsis to Grady Hendrix's "We Sold Our Souls", I was like "Aye, let's give the bastard a chance." and, this one time, the book was super-fun and delivere ...more
Emily
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We Sold Our Souls is such a fun read. It's an addicting story, and I think I tore through it within 24 hours. I want to say up front that I am not a metal fan, and this is the second metal horror book I've read this year. I ended up loving both. So if you are not a metal fan, either, and are avoiding this one, please go for it. This is a story you don't want to miss.

I feel like this book loses some steam at the end. It seemed like it was ramping up to something more sinister, and I guess it was
Mel (Epic Reading)
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that Queen of the Damned should have been. We Sold Our Souls is engaging, exciting, bloody, romantic and musical all at once. I absolutely loved it and cannot wait for my husband (a big music fan and horror buff) to read it as I think he will also adore this story. For sure I will be purchasing a paperback copy to add to our library and strategically leave on his side table to read.
The only 'problem' I could really find with Grady Hendrix's story is that I want the fictional ba
Fiona
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every song was the same song. These were songs for people who were scared to open their mailboxes, whose phone call never brought good news. These were songs for people standing at the crossroads waiting for the bus. People who bounced between debt collectors and dollar stores, collection agencies and housing offices, family court and emergency rooms waiting for a check that never came, waiting for a court date, waiting for a call back, waiting for a break, crushed beneath the wheel.

Grady Hendri
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
First of all, I love horror books centered around music. Books like Robert McCammon's The Five and Todd Keisling's The Final Reconciliation are among my favorite books. I could not have been more excited when I heard Grady Hendrix had written a metal horror book. I'm such a fan of Grady Hendrix. Paperbacks from Hell was a stunning book, but My Best Friend's Exorcism is what placed him on my must read author list. It was a very unexpected read (in a great way).

We Sold Our Souls was an unexpected
Mark
This is the third Grady Hendrix novel I've read (after Horrorstör and My Best Friend's Exorcism) and it's easily my favorite so far.

Kris Pulaski is such a great protagonist...a woman in her late 40's and a washed up, has-been (or maybe never-was) metal guitarist. Watching her struggle both physically and mentally as she went through her character journey was the heart of this story; I think this is what helped me overlook some of the elements which didn't work as well for me.

I'll admit there w
Josh
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heavy metal meets horror infused mayhem as pop culture collides with the b-side of life in Grady Henrix's We Sold Our Souls; a story about a 90's metal band turned supernatural scare fest.

On the cusp of making it big, Durt Wurk, a popular bar band finally looks set to land a gig with a record label. However, there's a caveat which founding member Kris, isn't willing to sign off on - her soul and her sound; the identity of the band, re-branded, its core to be commercialized. Wealth isn't worth l
James Oxyer
I love the heart that went into this. But the whole thing feels so...half-baked? First drafty?

Love the first half, all the way until after an "escape" scene. After that, it lost me. The plot is too allegorical for its own good. The climax is way too feel-good and family-friendly considering the dark horror elements that were in play the rest of the novel. The universe and its mythology are frustratingly underdeveloped. The social commentary jumbled into it never comes together. It never locks d
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/11/12/...

One thing I’ll say about Grady Hendrix: he really knows how to tell stories about the things he’s passionate about. His newest book We Sold Our Souls is described as a version of the famous Faust legend but with a heavy metal twist, and the entire thing reads very much like a love letter to the music genre. Still, whether or not you consider yourself a metal head, I predict anyone with an appreciate for horror and dark fic
Melania 🍒
2.5|5

- Book Riots 2020 Read Harder Challenge - 22. Read a horror book published by an indie press -

Whilst not a bad book, is was actually pretty entertaining and readable, I found it to be also really forgetful.
Nick Younker
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shane D. Keene, Sadie Hartmann, Mindi Snyder
Let me be frank, BRUTALLY FUCKING FRANK! There's nothing quite as exhilarating as reading a heavy-metal horror epic, complete with thrashing guitars, crushed bones and major internal bleeding. I remember showing up at the hospital one night after a Manson concert, thinking the whole neck thing was totally worth the experience. It was, although I would rather read about it now than go back and re-experience my youth. But not Kris Pulaski, the book's rocking-ass chick who turns out to be the ficti ...more
Dürt Würkers: We Sold Our Souls 2 4 Feb 19, 2020 02:13PM
South Shore Readers: Discussion: We Sold Our Souls 9 18 Oct 28, 2019 08:52AM
Play Book Tag: We Sold Our Souls/Grady Hendrix/3.5 Stars 2 11 Sep 30, 2019 08:16AM
Creepy Book Club: We Sold Our Souls (Sept 2019 Pick) - Post Your Reviews Here! 6 20 Sep 30, 2019 07:31AM
Creepy Book Club: We Sold Our Souls ONLY $1.99!!!! 3 23 Sep 06, 2019 07:33AM

• The Siren and the Specter
  • The Boatman's Daughter
  • The Last Final Girl
  • The Remaking
Want a look at my newest book, The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires? Then enter now for an ARC giveaway. You could get your blood-soaked paws on one of these books before anyone else on your block!

Grady Hendrix is the author of the novels Horrorstör, about a haunted IKEA, and My Best Friend's Exorcism, which is like Beaches meets The Exorcist, only it's set in the Eighties.

He's also

Articles featuring this book

If you want a real scare, set aside your beloved horror classics—you know what darkness lurks within their pages, what chil...
“A girl with a guitar never has to apologize for anything.” 16 likes
“it is possible to be crazy and paranoid and totally insane and still be right. Maybe the problem with everyone is that the world has become so insane they’re not out of their minds enough to comprehend it.” 12 likes