Start by marking “Go Home, Afton (Afton Morrison, #1)” as Want to Read:
Go Home, Afton (Afton Morrison, #1)

Go Home, Afton

(The Afton Morrison Series #1)

We all wear masks, and Afton Morrison is no exception.

A small-town librarian with a dark side, Afton, twenty-six, has suppressed violent impulses her entire adult life. Impulses that demand she commit murder.

Blending her urges with reason, Afton stalks a known sexual predator, intending to kill him. But her plan, inspired by true crime and hatched with meticulous care, is
Published June 25th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Go Home, Afton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Home, Afton

Start your review of Go Home, Afton (Afton Morrison, #1)
Dash fan
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4☆ A Deliciously Dark Thriller

Go Home, Afton is a short story, the first part of a series and wow Does it pack a punch for such a short story.

One of my favourite tv series is Dexter. This really reminds me of Dexter. Except the main character is a librarian and not a blood splatter analysis. However she does have a thirst for blood.
However not just anyone's blood only those who have wronged.

One person in particular! A serial rapist and she is determined to succeed!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading th
Linda Strong

Meet Afton Morrison. She's a female psychopathic vegetarian librarian who has a thirst for violence and craves the thought of taking a human life. She also has a pet goldfish.

She knows the difference between right and wrong; she just chooses to draw the line differently than most people. She talks to an imaginary version of herself ..... and someone she calls "The Man In The Shadows' who seems to be following her. The thing is .. she doesn't know if he's real or not.

Afton is certainly a unique k
Cheryl
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who woulda thought a story about a female psychopathic vegetarian librarian with a fractured personality could be so compelling? There's just something that resonates about the character - maybe it's society's obsession with serial killers, or the fact that, in this case, if you have an overwhelming compunction to kill people you may as well put it to good use and get rid of the dregs of society. Maybe it's our need to see justice served and a thirst for vengeance, but whatever it is, it makes f ...more
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
This is a weird thing to say but, I have never identified so much with a potential serial killer! I say “potential” as Afton has yet to kill anyone. She has fantasized about the perfect kill for most of her adult life, and the time has come.

You would think that a librarian who secretly wants to murder people wouldn’t be someone that I would look at and say, “Girl, I totally understand!” but, I DO!

She made me laugh,

“Neil scratched his head. “What’s a lepra-she?”

“It’s—”

Sweatpants raised her hand t
Robyn
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Afton Morrison thinks she might be a psychopath. Although, maybe not a true psychopath because she still has a conscience. Murderous thoughts have been running through her head and she can’t seem to stop the craving to kill someone. Just the thought of all the blood and gore gets her excited. She has never killed before and does not want to kill just anyone. Her first kill has to be of someone who surely will not be missed and that the world will be better off without. She thinks she has found t ...more
Jessica Belmont
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Go Home, Afton is one of these most thrilling novellas I have ever had a chance to read. It is so different, from the point of view of Afton, a girl with dark desires and how she chooses to justify them.

While reading this book, I felt torn because part of me says, you really shouldn't love Afton, but I really do. She is such an interesting and unique character. She has a wonderfully sarcastic attitude, a dark desire to kill, but
Shalini
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been hearing good things about the Author Brent Jones and his serial thriller book Afton Morrison series . So when I got the opportunity to buy this book, I took it on and read through it in a single sitting.

I like vengeance being wrecked on a man when he shatters the life of a woman. This is what I get from this book, the need for revenge burning bright in me as in Afton from the get-go. The book starts with a bang, with the main character Afton surveilling Kenneth as she is sure he is
Dianne
And you thought a librarian was just a librarian, the prim and proper lady who reads at story time, one of the few people left who understands the Dewey Decimal system, didn’t you?

Meet Afton Morrison, librarian by day, vigilante by night. But will the world be a better place after she delivers her special brand of “justice” on a sexual predator? Will she even get the chance or will this dark anti-heroine find herself becoming the hunted by a mysterious figure from her past?

GO HOME, AFTON by Bren
ABookwormWithWine
⭐ / 5

Man I really hate to do this but I have to mark this one as a DNF. Some people will love it, but the comparison to Dexter now annoys me, and there was nothing I liked about the main character (whereas I love Dexter).

This one is just not my cup of tea sadly and I'm putting it down at page 67.
Shanannigans
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-crime
This is quite the powerhouse for a novella and the perfect hook for a series!

Ahh, the female version of Dexter! A character readers can strangely identify with. After all, she’s a fellow bookworm. A bookworm who lusts for violence but knows what’s right and what’s wrong. So what does she do? She hunts a suspected predator. A monster she knows has committed heinous crimes but hasn’t been convicted. The only problem is that she isn’t the only one hunting.

I’ve been following Brent Jones’ writing fo
Donna
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m finding myself at a loss as to how to write this review. I’ve been stewing all day about how to write a review that does this fabulous little serial thriller justice, but doesn’t rewrite the gist of the whole book...which is easy to do when reviewing a book like this. But I think the way I feel about it is that if you read the book knowing as much as I did going into it, then you will enjoy it like I did. And I really enjoyed it!! I would suggest, in fact, that you NOT read all the long revi ...more
Misty's Book Space
I want to thank the author and R&R Book Tours for providing me with a copy to review.

This novella is the first book in a four part series and it’s a great start to a series. It’s fast paced and there’s surprisingly a lot going on in such a short amount of pages.

Afton is the main character and she is a children’s librarian who just so happens to be a psychopath. While she is kind of deranged at a certain point you can’t help but start to feel sorry for her. Brent Jones did a great job at building
Hobart
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
I have some potentially, slightly spoilerly thoughts in paragraph #9. Feel free to skip that, to help, I'll write my conclusion first and then add that on as a post-script of sorts. Deal? Okay here we go:

I learned over time that the murderess without blood on her hands has a lot in common with a heroin-addicted streetwalker. Both crave a fix, and both are willing to do just about anything to get one. And the longer
Laura Henderson
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! This book is reminiscent of a female version of Dexter Morgan. The main character to this novel was so intriguing! It was interesting to read her emotions and to see her animus come out and how she reacted to her inner self. The tension in this book was so thick you could cut it with a knife. The emotions driving Afton to pick her victim was so gut wrenching to learn. You truly understand why she became the way she did. (sorry folks no spoilers, have to read it to ...more
Josette Thomas
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An awesome thrill ride of suspense and revenge. Afton is not sure if she is a psychopath or not (I would think people that ask if they are, are not.), she puts up a well constructed wall to keep others at bay and she has a caring side that she does not want others to find out. As the reader, you follow Afton as she tries to decide what is right and what is wrong. As you get to know her, you start to question if her decisions might be okay and if not, why? I look forward to reading the other book ...more
ashley  lloyd spanton
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on citygirlscapes.com.

When I was asked to read and review Go Home, Afton by Brent Jones, I was immediately intrigued by the idea of a psychopathic librarian. If that wasn’t someone I wanted to read about, I don’t know who is. But I wasn’t prepared for this addicting little read and now that it’s done, I’m not sure what to do with myself.

Go Home Afton is a short novella that is part 1 of a 4 part series. That is to say, it flies by super quick and leaves you on a cliffhanger wai
Catherine Bukowski
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a quick and suspenseful read. I read through it in one sitting because it just kept me hooked. My book tour post will be up on Monday for this book. I can't wait for the next book in this series...I need to know more.
Kevin Dowson
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
You know, this was heading for a four star review all the way, right until the end.

Afton is bloody weird. An introverted librarian, wannabe serial killer and almost certainly schizophrenic, with a stalker who may be real or imaginary. But she is so likeable, and you can easily see things from her perspective.

The problem for me is I took this book as a stand alone first in a series. As you get to the end, however, it unfolds that this is not the case, rather it is part one of a continuing story.
Isabel (The Reader & The Chef)
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can also find this review at The Reader and the Chef. Huge thanks to Kate Tilton's Author Services for providing a copy in exchange of my honest opinion!

Go Home, Afton was an interesting book/novella, it's fast-paced and easy to read. I don't normally read Thrillers, but I am lately trying to read books out of my comfort zone and I am glad I made that choice with this book! It was a short read and it only took me a couple of hours to finish and it left me wishing to read more.

What I Like:

Aft
Brent Jones
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Afton Morrison, 26, is a small-town children's librarian. She's also a disturbed vigilante murderess, in pursuit of a violent sexual predator.
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
***Trigger Warning: sexual assault, moments of physical violence graphicness (few and far, but there)

Go Home, Afton by Brent Jones is a tense suspense novel told from the point of view of Afton, an introverted young woman working as a children's librarian at the local Wakefield library. But Afton harbours a dark secret. Deep down, this mild-mannered, if snarky woman has a drive to kill. While she hasn't yet, the craving is getting stronger, urged on by a fragment of self she calls Animus, a visu
Andrea
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Something Different. And not in the way some people use the word different as a veiled complaint or insult. I mean actually refreshingly different. At first glance at the back cover I thought this was going to be another female version of Dexter. Not so. Go Home Afton is its own animal.

Afton is a complex character with some good qualities and some bad. Okay a lot of bad, but it's clear to me that she is suffering because of the bi-polarity of her psyche. Just as Afton is torn by this condition,
Lara Renn
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 3-stars
Afton Morrison is a small-town children’s librarian, who spends her days reading books and her nights plotting the perfect murder. With nothing but her imagined consciousness and a man hiding in the shadows to keep her company, she’ll have to work fast if she wants to catch her target.
Go Home, Afton spans around a week, beginning immediately in the action as the reader follows Afton spying on a violent sexual predator. I was instantly drawn into the storyline, and curious as how events would un
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Afton Morrison has a carefully crafted identity, a vegetarian librarian who reads to children with a pet goldfish called Twinkie but underneath all she can think about is murder, these impulses come in the form of the evil twin in her mind Animus.

While stalking her first victim, Kenneth Pritchard, a serial rapist who has been let go due to lack of evidence she feels a presence, a man in the shadows. Suddenly Afton is no longer the badass vigilante but the prey in a dangerous game.

This book is th
Kate
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Afton Morrison is certainly not a classic local small-town librarian.

No, in Brent Jones’ serial thriller Afton Morrison Series, which begins with Go Home, Afton, your stereotypical squirrelly, harmless bookworm, is instead a vengeful and psychopathic… heroine.

That’s right: Heroine. A past incident in her life has her survivorship — do not call it victimhood! — impulses on overdrive, and with the persuasion of a voice inside her head (that seems to have manifested into an actual imaginary psycho
Amanda
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Afton Morrison has suppressed some dark and violent impulses her whole life. Her inner voice, now more of less takes the shape of Afton herself sometimes named 'Animus' and urges her to kill a known but not convincted sexual predator. Afton works in a library and had dinner every week with her brother. It's hard to kill someone when you've never done so...and when there's someone in the shadows watching your every move.

As you all know, I just reviewed the first book in the Dexter series so I was
Chris Bailey
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
CBailey31

Before I even read this book I was excited, I mean who does not want to read about a librarian murderer? The book started off really quick and within the first few pages your mind was racing. It did not take that long for me to start to like the main character Afton. Afton is the person who says things that most people would never dare say out loud and this made me laugh. It kind of reminded me of myself, having been told many a time that I don't seem to have a filter. I really did like
Jessica
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to Smith Publicity for the free advanced copy in exchange for my honest review

With this being a shorter novel, I don't want to give away too much. Afton returned to her hometown to take a job at their local library. On the surface, she looks like your average 26 year old that's a little rough around the edges. However, this librarian has a secret dark side and blood lust. This comes out in Animus. Animus is what she calls her dark side, her other half that manifests into a twin on she ca
Lynda Dickson
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 17+
Shelves: adult
Afton is a children’s librarian with a secret. In her spare time, she stalks “someone the world’s better off without” with the intention of killing him. But someone is watching her, too. Who is The Man in Shadows who seems to be following her? And what dark secret from her past is Afton hiding?

Afton Morrison is a female Dexter Morgan, right down to her Dark Passenger, Animus Afton, the manifestation of her darkest desires. However, she has yet to perform her first kill. She is a complex characte
Jessica Bronder
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Afton Morrison is a small town librarian that hates kids, especially their parents, and has the desire to kill. She is drawn to kill but she wants to make it matter. So, she chooses Kenneth Pritchard, a serial rapist that seems to always get away with the crime. But there is more to this story. She has a snarky alter ego that seems to want to kill discriminately and The Man in the Shadows who seems to be someone that is going to get her caught before her first kill.

I first met Afton in Brent Jon
« previous 1 3 next »

• False Memory (False #1)
  • In The Blood of Justice: (Anonymous Series Book 1)
  • Lost Girls: The Maine Murders (50 States of Murder, #1)
  • Love You Dead (Roy Grace, #12)
  • The Brink
  • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
  • One Lost Soul (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #1)
  • Aggravated Momentum
  • Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper Trilogy (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1-3)
  • Before You Sleep
  • Bury Your Past (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #2)
  • Genesis
  • When I Die I'm Going to Heaven 'Cause I've Spent My Time in Hell: A Memoir of My Year As an Army Nurse in Vietnam
  • In Between (Katie Parker Productions, #1)
  • See You Soon
  • Casket Cache (Spencer Funeral Home Niagara Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • It's Been Waiting for You (Where Evil Lies Book 1)
  • Dark Vow
From bad checks to bathroom graffiti, Brent Jones has always been drawn to writing. He won a national creative writing competition at the age of fourteen, although he can’t recall what the story was about.

Jones writes from his home in Fort Erie, Canada. He’s happily married, a bearded cyclist, a mediocre guitarist, and the proud owner of two dogs with a God complex. Subscribe to his newsletter (Au

The Afton Morrison Series (4 books)
  • See You Soon, Afton (Afton Morrison, #2)
  • Nice Try, Afton (Afton Morrison, #3)
  • Time's Up, Afton (Afton Morrison, #4)