Start by marking “The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9)

The Guilty Dead

(Monkeewrench #9)

Gregory Norwood, wealthy businessman and close friend of Minnesota's leading candidate for Governor, is found dead on the first anniversary of his son's drug overdose. It seems clear to Detectives Gino and Magozzi that grief drove him to suicide.

Until they find the second body.

As the seemingly open-and-shut case becomes a murder enquiry, the detectives begin to delve into
Published September 11th 2018 by Crooked Lane Books (first published August 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Guilty Dead, please sign up.
Allison You don't NEED to, but I think it will be more enjoyable if you do. I also found the first three books the best of the series.

Kaceey
This is book nine of the highly popular Monkeewrench series. Rarely, if ever, have I jumped into a series midway. But the opportunity presented itself and I was generously offered a copy by the publisher. Yes, it was an offer I couldn’t refuse!

Stepping midway into a series can present several challenges. With this book, the character development was highly developed. So jumping in mid-stream I missed some of the background that might have helped me have a clearer understanding of the characters
Paromjit
Having read this Monkeewrench series from the beginning, I have a great deal of affection for it and I feel a great sense of comfort on approaching any addition to the series set in Minnesota. The diverse range of characters have become erstwhile friends that I look forward in great anticipation to meeting again. Minneapolis Detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth have an ease with each other born of their long relationship together, fuelling their often comedic banter with each other and other ...more
Diane S ☔
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Magozzi and Gino are called to the scene of a suspected suicide of a well known businessman. The Monkey wrench crew is working on new software which will greatly aid police departmens and other agencies to find out where acts of terrorism are being planned. Grace and Magozzi anxiously await the birth of their child, Grace now eight months pregnant. Of course things are not as simple as they appear, and soon everyone is up to their eyeballs in mayhem and madness.

I enjoy this series, all the c
Susanne  Strong
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4 Stars.

Gregory Norwood’s body is found on his sprawling estate. Though it first appears as though Norwood took his own life and Detectives Magozzi and Rolseth investigate his death at the request of his wife and daughter. When Magozzi and Rolseth look into the allegations, they find that Gregory Norwood’s death links to another body at the scene. Norwood’s son Trey died a year prior of what everyone thought was a drug overdose, though his father never believed it.

Suspicion ensues and the path
Carolyn
In this ninth instalment of the Monkeewrench series, the focus is less on the Monkeewrench team and more on Detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth, as they investigate the apparent suicide of a wealthy businessman and philanthropist, Gregory Norwood. Although Norwood's death occurs on the anniversary of his son Trey's death from an overdose, his wife and daughter don't believe he would have committed sucicide and there are some things at the scene that don't make sense. Leo and Gino soon find t ...more
Liz
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Book nine in a series is never a good place to start. But I had heard so many great reviews for this series, that when I was offered this book through netgalley, how could I resist?

First impressions. Wow, can Tracy paint a picture! His descriptions really sucked me in. And there’s more than a wee bit of dry wit here, too.

It did take me a little time to figure out who everyone was. But Tracy does a good job of giving you the connections and a bit of backstory for each of the players.

The topic
Maureen Carden
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, fbi, police, thriller
I will never lose my love for the Monkeewrench group of brilliant, paranoid-with good reason-computer maven misfits. I will never lose my admiration for Minneapolis homicide cops detective Leo Magozzi and Gino Roseth. So I am always delighted for a new book from P.J. Tracy,
The Guilty Dead is no exception.
Magozzi and Roseth have a suicide to investigate. Gregory Norwood has a number of excellent reasons to commit suicide; but since Norwood is a wealthy philanthropist who has been very generous t
Matt
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Crooked Lane
First and foremost, a large thank you to P.J. Tracy and Crooked Lane Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

A much different P.J. Tracy continues to evolve in the series after the death of the elder in the mother-daughter duo. Those who are familiar with the series will notice a higher intensity to the writing and a plot that seeks to delve deeper into the mystery and police procedural genres. After the death of his son a ye
Phrynne
I look forward to each new book in the Monkeewrench series - it is one of my most favourite crime series!

The Guilty Dead opens in a fairly complicated fashion with lots of characters popping up in apparently unrelated scenarios. Eventually of course it all comes together and leads to a massive and very tense climax which threatens the lives of some very important characters. The book was totally unputdownable at this stage.

There are many beautiful scenes between Maguzzi and Grace - I am sure the
Louise Wilson
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monkeewrench #9

Gregory Norwood, wealthy businessman and a close friend of Minnesota's leading candidate for Governor, is found dead on the anniversary of his sons drug overdose. It's seems clear to Detectives Gino and Magozzi that grief drove him to suicide.

It looks like an open and shut case on first inspection by Detectives Gino and Magozzi, that is until they notice that the left handed Gregory Norwood used his right hand to pull the trigger. They call on Grace MacBride, Monkeewrench's Softwa
Thomas
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
Thanks to Crooked Lane Books for sending me this eARC through NetGalley. This book is a well done thriller with one criminal identified early on. As the story unfolds, the reader learns the others. Minneapolis detectives Magozzi and Gino piece together a series of murders with help from the FBI and Monkeewrench, a software company. Magozzi's wife works for Monkeewrench and is very pregnant. There is a bittersweet ending that ties up the plot very well. This is book 9 in the series, but I
Linda Strong
I am telling you right now ... if you have not read any of the Monkeewrench series, you need to go right his minute and start at the very beginning of this wonderful series.

Monkeewrench is the name given to the software company founded by Grace MacBride and a team of members you will never forget. They are all geniuses when it comes to computers. How this group got together and forged a bond closer than any family is in the first books of the series.

Homicide Detective Leo Magozzi and his partner
♥Rachel♥
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth, homicide detectives of the Minnesota Police Department are called out for what they think is a routine sign-off on a suicide. The victim is Gregory Norwood a wealthy businessman on the one-year anniversary of his son’s overdose. The situation turns into anything but routine after reviewing the facts of the scene, and the discovery of another body. What they find is a tragic history and many twists.

At the same time the Monkeewrench team, a private cyber security/inv
Dee Arr
P. J. Tracy’s “The Guilty Dead” almost reads like it was two different books, or maybe three. Before it settled down, I was half-tempted to stop reading (though in the end, I am glad I continued).

Some of the things that bothered me about the story were small, but ultimately, many small things do add up, beginning with why there were so many characters with names that start with the letter G? We have Grace, Gloria, Gus, Gregory, Gino, Gary, and Gerry. While the chances of reader confusion increa
Maureen Carden
The Guilty Dead is no exception.
Sandy
Book #9 in this series opens with a deadly prologue you just know is going to come back to haunt you. Fast forward 1 year & a wealthy local philanthropist dies in questionable circumstances. When Minneapolis cops Leo Magozzi & Gino Rolseth get involved, the past returns as they proceed to dig into the life of Gregory Norwood, his family & close friends.

Over at Monkeewrench HQ Harley is contacted by Dahl, a frustrated FBI agent. He’s heard mutterings of a possible terrorist attack &am
Juli
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Guilty Dead is the 9th book in the Monkeewrench series. Gregory Norwood, a wealthy Minnesota businessman with political ties, is found dead of an apparent suicide on the one-year anniversary of his son's death by overdose. The police believe it's an open and shut case at first until they find another body at the scene. The case quickly escalates into a complex murder investigation. The local police are also dealing with terrorist threats related to tracking software being tested by the FBI. ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I don't want to be a Negative Nancy when it comes to books. However, this book just didn't turn out the be as good as I had hoped it to be. I have long wanted to read this series and with the latest published book, THE GUILTY DEAD did I finally take the plunge. I have this as a copy, but I decided to listen to the audioversion instead since then I could take the book with me to work...;)

I did think the book started off good, with murders looking like suicide. However, I had one big problem al
Lorraine Southern
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 9 of the Monkeewrench crime series, a series written by a mother-daughter writing duo and one I’ve been a huge fan of since book 1. This, however, was the first solo effort written by the daughter since the sad death of her mother back in 2016. All I can say is it’s just as fast-paced, gripping, suspenseful and tightly written as all its predecessors and it is indeed a fine and wonderful way to honor P.J
Myndi
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018
A year after the suicide of his troubled son, Gregory Norwood is found dead in his home of an apparent – but unlikely – suicide. While Detectives Gino and Magozzi investigate, the Monkeewrench team uses their latest technology to home in on suspected terrorist threats in the city. The investigation into Norwood’s death not only unravels family secrets but connects both family deaths to the tragedy the Monkeewrench team is working so hard to prevent.

Having started this series at book 7, I’m now t
Janet Newport
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for this arc.

I've loved the Monkeewrench Gang from book 1 in this 9 books to-date series. The 8th book was somewhat disappointing for me as it seemed to be missing some of the edginess and pacing.. As it was the first book following the death of one of the co-authors of the series, understandable and forgivable.

Some of that missing edginess has returned with this book. The pacing of the story was full-speed ahead.....I could feel the increasing pressure
Pat
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-books, 2018, series
4 stars

“The Guilty Dead” is Book #9 in the Monkeewrench series. When I first started reading this book, I felt I was revisiting old friends and catching up on what is going on in Minneapolis.

Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth are partners in the Homicide division of MPD. They are called to the scene of a suicide but this is no ordinary suicide. Gregory Norwood is a beloved Minneapolis philanthropist whose son died of an overdose and now seems to have committed suicide. But, the police want to investig
Chris Conley
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More like 10 stars for me. Tracy can find the nuggets of human joy and love in the most gruesome of tales. In many ways, this story hits many hot buttons but, at its heart, it is about the strength of friendship, honesty and love. I have always liked the gang at Monkeewrench but this has moved me way beyond like.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: look-4-next-bk

The first part of the book was a little slow and I was slow to get vested. It picked up as it went along although the ending felt like a bit of a let down.
Marty Fried
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
Thanks to NetGalley, I don't have to wait for this book to be published. I delayed reading the previous book to make the wait shorter, but now, I got to read both that one and now this new one.

The Monkeewrench series has become one of my favorites, and this one did not disappoint. As usual, the people make up a large part of the story, but the plot was really strong, too. And there is the usual humor in the banter and thoughts of the characters that make it so much fun to read. It was sad that s
Maranda
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
KIND OF A LOT GOING ON HERE!! We have a murder, a romance, a new baby, revenge, two police partners, another murder, a GEEK MONKEEWRENCH Intelligent Company and even more murders. Oh yeah and a BOMB! This is my first read in this series and now I need to make time to read the prior eight. Great characters by this author along with a thickening plot! "A copy of this book was provided by Crooked Lane Books via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion."
michelle
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minneapolis Detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth are called on a new case of Wealthy Businessman Gregory Norwood suspected suicide. He was found dead with a gun in his hand. It is the 1-year anniversary of his son’s Trey death from a Heroin overdose. Robert Zeller thinks that it was the guilt of what happened to Trey that killed him. But, when Magozzi and Rolseth start to investigate, they have found out that the gun was wiped clean, so it all adds up to murder.
The story also includes the Mon
Paul
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
The Guilty Dead – A Fast Paced Thriller

Who knew that Minnesota could be so interesting and exciting? Not often portrayed in crime thrillers but such a pleasant change from the usual places. The Guilty Dead is a fast- paced thriller with plenty of twists and turns and the occasional surprise. What I do like about female writers, there is always a decent body count.

Robert Norwood richer than God, business man, family man and close friend to a candidate for State Governor, is found dead. Apparently
Cheryl
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been quite a long while since I have read a Monkeewrench book. I used to read them pretty regularly. I don't know what happened as I did enjoy the books that I read. After finishing this book, I will make sure to not let long periods of time lapse between books. It was like I hadn't really left. Instantly, I was able to jump right into this book with no problems. The characters embraced me as did I to them.

Magozzi and Rolseth make good partners. They work very well together. Then, there
Play Book Tag: The Guilty Dead by P.J. Tracy - 4.5 stars 1 12 Dec 15, 2018 01:33PM
  • Suffer the Children (Gardiner and Renner #4)
  • Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3)
  • A Taste for Vengeance (Bruno, Chief of Police, #11)
  • Under Cold Stone (Constable Molly Smith #7)
  • Desolation Mountain (Cork O'Connor #17)
  • Dead Man Running (Alex McKnight, #11)
  • The Coal Black Asphalt Tomb (Berger and Mitry, #10)
  • White River Burning (Dave Gurney #6)
  • The Oracle Code (Thomas Lourds, #4)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • Flashover (Georgia Skeehan, #2)
  • Queen Anne's Lace (China Bayles #26)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • No Such Creature
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • The Time to Kill (Carter Blake, #3)
  • Fighting Chance (Gregor Demarkian, #29)
  • The Drowning Man (Wind River Reservation, #12)
PJ Tracy is the pseudonym of mother-daughter writing duo P.J. and Traci Lambrecht, winners of the Anthony, Barry, Gumshoe, and Minnesota Book Awards. Their eight novels, MONKEEWRENCH, LIVE BAIT, DEAD RUN, SNOW BLIND, SHOOT TO THRILL, OFF THE GRID, THE SIXTH IDEA, and NOTHING STAYS BURIED have become national and international bestsellers. PJ passed away in December 2016, but Traci continues to wri ...more

Monkeewrench (10 books)
  • Monkeewrench (Monkeewrench, #1)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench, #3)
  • Snow Blind (Monkeewrench, #4)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench, #5)
  • Off the Grid (Monkeewrench, #6)
  • The Sixth Idea (Monkeewrench, #7)
  • Nothing Stays Buried (Monkeewrench, #8)
  • Ice Cold Heart