Start by marking “Ritual (Jack Caffery #3)” as Want to Read:
Ritual (Jack Caffery #3)

Ritual

(Jack Caffery #3)

Nine feet under water, police diver Flea Marley closes her gloved fingers around a human hand. The fact that there’s no body attached is disturbing enough—until the discovery of the matching appendage a day later. Both hands have been freshly amputated, and there are indications that the victim was still alive when they were removed.

Newly seconded to the Major Crime Invest
Published September 15th 2008 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ritual, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
John M. Orr Very good questions .... I found the ending very unsatisfactory as it did not connect to the initiating premises. I have read the previous Caffrey…moreVery good questions .... I found the ending very unsatisfactory as it did not connect to the initiating premises. I have read the previous Caffrey books and liked them and I like the new female character in this story. The so called "Walking Man" added little except to add to the sense of self-absorption of the two protaganists. I wanted to scream at them "get over it".(less)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
One of the best things when it comes to reading is discovering new authors. I have wanted to read Mo Hayder's Jack Caffery series for a long time and now I have finally read the book three in the series. And, Ritual is a pretty awesome book, with a compelling story and interesting main characters.

I instantly came to like both Jack and Flea and I enjoyed getting to know them both in this book. Jack, new in Bristol, has come to the city looking for the Walking Man to ask him something. Flea has no
Vaso
Το τρίτο βιβλίο της σειράς με τον Τζακ Κάφερι, θα έλεγα ότι είναι πιο πολύ επικεντρωμένο στο να μας συστήσει τη Φλι Μάρλι και να μάθουμε το παρελθόν της, ενώ συγχρόνως εξελίσσεται κι η υπόθεση που ο επιθεωρητής έχει αναλάβει.
Το βιβλίο κυλάει γρήγορα, αλλά θεωρώ ότι δεν είχε την "ένταση" που περίμενα.
Mike (the Paladin)
I don't really know how I would classify this book when it comes right down to it. I mean there is an idea/plot for the story behind it all. That said the bulk of the book concerns everybody's emotional baggage.

The book opens with the promise of a mysterious story...once it gets around to actually opening...with a disembodied hand discovered in a deep murky pool of water where visibility is almost zero.

Our introduction to the book had been about one of the odd deep sinkhole pools of water in the
Dannii Elle
So for this review I think I'll keep it to the point and just repeat what I wrote in one of my status updates as I believe it aptly sums up this book:

African witchcraft, drug trips, dismemberment, prostitutes and deep-sea diving - what's not to love in this book?
Thanos
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Τρίτο βιβλίο της σειράς και θα πω ότι απογοητεύτηκα.

Τα πρώτα δύο βιβλία ήταν πολύ δυνατά και ήμουν σίγουρος ότι κάτι τέτοιο θα ίσχυε και εδώ. Ξεκινώντας λοιπόν διαπιστώνω πως κάτι δεν πάει καλά... Και τελικά έτσι συνέχισε μέχρι το τέλος. Απλά σε όλη τη διάρκεια κάτι δεν πήγαινε καλά.

Αρχικά, ήταν λες και έλειπε ένα βιβλίο μεταξύ από τη Σιωπή των δέντρων και την Τελετουργία. Αφού πολλές φορές αναρωτήθηκα μήπως έχω χάσει κάτι.

Έπειτα θεωρώ πως είχε πολλά άσχετα και ασύνδετα θέματα.

(view spoiler)
Bill
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I'm sorry to say that Ritual was a disappointment for me.

Mo Hayder hit two grand slams with Birdman and The Treatment. These were two crime thrillers that stood out from such a thickly saturated genre. Quite the feat for a new writer on the scene.
My gushing reviews on these:

What made these great was how successful she was at engaging the reader
in not only the storyline of the crimes at hand, but the personal struggle
Wayne Barrett

This third installment of the Jack Caffery series didn't nearly stand up to the hardcore quality of the first two. This was much less of a horror novel and much more a mystery. A mystery that wasn't so much a "who dunnit" as it was a "who cares".
Kendra
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really been on a Mo Hayder kick lately -- and I must be getting used to her, because this book didn't disturb me nearly as much as the other ones. Ritual is the third to feature Detective Jack Caffery, and this time Hayder has skipped ahead a few years, moved him out of London, and introduced a great new character, police diver Phoebe "Flea" Marley. The discovery of a pair of hands -- sans body -- kicks off an investigation that involves drug addicts and ancient rituals from Africa. As usua ...more
Siobhan
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I’m completely honest I did not enjoy Ritual as much as I enjoyed The Treatment. Don’t get me wrong it is another great book but I wasn’t pulled in as deep as I was in the second Jack Caffery novel.

As with the first two Jack Caffery novels, this is a book filled with twists and turns. The criminal aspect, as with The Treatment, was wonderful. It was a brilliant idea, a story you can really get into and feel creeped out by. In terms of the Jack side of the story I was somewhat tentative. At fi
Georgia
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Δείτε επίσης και στο Chill and read

Ένα δυνατό μυθιστόρημα από τη Mo Hayder που φέρνει την πραγματικότητα του υποκόσμου του Μπρίστολ, λίγο πιο κοντά μας!

Η Φλι Μάρλι, δύτης της αστυνομίας και επικεφαλής της ομάδας καταδύσεων, σε βάθος περίπου τριών μέτρων, κάτω από την πλωτή αποβάθρα του λιμανιού του Μπρίστολ, αγγίζει ένα χέρι. Ένα ανθρώπινο χέρι, μόνο του, χωρίς το σώμα κείτεται στο λιμάνι και κανείς δεν ξέρει πως βρέθηκε εκεί.

Ο επιθεωρητής Τζακ Κάφερι, που μόλις έχει πάρει μετάθεση από το Λονδίν
Natazzz
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery, crime

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think this book's so great. I found it very boring and very hard to get through. Reading it felt more like a task than a fun passtime. I tried, but I was unable to read this in its entirety.
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Το ότι αγαπώ τα αστυνομικά θρίλερ είναι γνωστό. Προσωπικά, τα προτιμώ από τα νουάρ μυθιστορήματα του είδους, καθώς είναι πιο σύγχρονο και αν κι εφόσον είναι καλογραμμένα και με ενδιαφέρουσα πλοκή, επιτυγχάνουν να παίξουν με το υποσυνείδητό μου και -ίσως- με κάποιες από τις προσωπικές μου φοβίες. Το ότι αγαπώ τη Mo Hayder είναι επίσης γνωστό, με την ίδια να μας έχει χαρίσει έντονες στιγμές φόβου, αγωνίας και αρρωστημένου ενθουσιασμού, χάρη στη μοναδική δυναμική και ρεαλιστικότητα της πένας της. ...more
The Wee Hen
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had the hardest time finishing this book. I only made myself read the whole thing because I made the mistake of BUYING it instead of getting it from the library and I am too cheap to not finish a book I buy. I didn't like one detective at all and the other I had a hard time feeling anything for. It's not like I only read cozies but this was just way too gruesome, vicious, nasty and horrible for me. Just more gore than I really need from a mystery. It barely even felt like it was set in the UK ...more
Janet
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading Birdman and The Treatment I was really disappointed with this one.

Jack Caffery has now relocated to Bristol for a fresh start and we meet police deep sea diver, Flea, a character that seems to have taken central stage pretty much. It was almost as if Caffery has taken a supportive role here as we learn an awful lot about Flea. In fact, it doesn't pick up anything at all about Jack's brother which was surprising, though maybe it does in later books, I don't know.

The story begins by
andrea
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Hmm. Okay I felt this was definitely a step away from the last Jack Caffery book, but I'm just not sure if it's a step forward, or simply just a step to the side.

First and foremost, I have to say Hayder writes really compelling mystery plots. I love the central plots of her books. I love her writing, I love her dialogue, and I love how unapologetically guttural she gets. My issues stem from her main characters that I just don't like.

Jack. Oh Jack. I really want to like you. I want to root for y
Cat
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2015
So far, my least favourite of the Jack Caffery series.

The stories starts with a hand being found at the Bristol harbour and soon we have Caffery investigating. Somehow he's left London and moved to the west. As the investigation goes on, and with the help of Sargeant Phoebe 'Flea' Marley, Caffery stumbles on a scheme of human body parts trafficking that is being used in connection traditional African medicine, also known as 'multi'.

Yes, there are the usual Hayder elements in this story. It is da
Krishna
Mo Hayder's return to the Jack Caffery series is a mixed bag. Definitely not on par with the hyper-gory Birdman or the disturbing The Treatment, it relocates Caffery to Bristol where along with a new soon-to-be recurring series character, police diver Flea Marley, he investigates the discovery of a severed human hand in the harbour.
The key problem is, the plot which is interesting though hardly outstanding hardly needs Caffery, who could have been substituted by any Detective. Marley's own bagg
Brenda
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As other reviewers have said, this is not Mo Hayder's best work. The first of the book went very slowly. I was confused often by the religious beliefs from Africa, the mystical things characters felt they were seeing, the deaths of Flea's parents, and her weird brother. The Walking Man seemed to come out of no where, and I think I missed something there. The story seemed to pick up when Flea and Caffery started to investigate together. In typical Hayder fashion, there were sick, twisted, creepy ...more
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Μπορεί να μην ήμουν στην κατάλληλη διάθεση για το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο, αλλά τα δύο πρώτα τα απόλαυσα περισσότερο ενώ σε αυτό διάβαζα τόσο απρόσεχτα που πέρασαν ολόκληρα κεφάλαια χωρίς να έχω πραγματικά προσέξει τι γίνεται... Θα έδινα 2 αστέρια, αλλά δίνω 3 γιατί θεωρώ ότι πρέπει να του δώσω άλλη μια ευκαιρία κάποια στιγμή....
John McDermott
By Mo Hayders' standards this was nowhere as shocking or as tense as the earlier books in the series. By "nowhere as shocking " , I mean it only contained scenes of victims having their limbs removed with a chainsaw while still alive !! That is quite tame for Mo !
Ritual was also slower paced than usual but I didn't mind that. Do expect a lot less Jack in this one as he has to share centre stage with a new character : Flea ; a police diver who could quite easily become a detective but chooses no
Rosa Dracos99
Tercer libro de la serie protagonizada por el inspector Jack Caffery, marcado desde la infancia por la desaparición no resuelta de su hermano, aunque siempre se sospechó que fue en manos de un pedófilo.
Son libros muy crudos, descarnados, con personajes tristes, oscuros y tramas muy truculentas.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Book Blurb:

Just after lunch on a Tuesday in April, nine feet under water, police diver Flea Marley closes her gloved fingers around a human hand. The fact that there's no body attached is disturbing enough. Yet more disturbing is the discovery, a day later, of the matching hand. Both have been recently amputated, and the indications are that the victim was still alive when they were removed.

DI Jack Caffery has been newly seconded to the Major Crime Investigation Unit in Bristol. He and Flea soon
Catherine
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-liked
I had high hopes for this book as it continues the character in the author's first 2 books (Birdman and The Treatment) which are some of my favorite all time reads.
This one started off well but the second half was not as compelling and it left me feeling frustrated re the lack of storyline to explain the details of the events between this book and the previous one.
As in the previous books the main character (DCI Jack Caffrey) has his own things going on which make a subplot to the current crime
Judi
Nov 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really poor Mo Hayder book that gets off to a tortuously slow start. The characters names are awful: Flea, Mossy and Skinny...seriously? I kept getting Skinny confused with Dobby, the house elf in Harry Potter. I'm not squeamish, but I admit I skipped over the entire sections where The Walking Man's describes his crime in lurid detail. I don't see the point that Ms. Hayder is trying to make, other than to shock, by going into such graphic detail. I liked Birdman a lot, but I can't say ...more
Shannon Hollinger
Mo Hayder never ceases to amaze me with her ability to push the boundaries, to make the reader uncomfortable yet still yearning for more, leaving them unable to put the book down as they lose themselves in the world she's created for them. A master of creepy and suspense, the pages ooze with sinisterness and, best of all, unpredictability.
Melanie O'Neill
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this some time ago but my husband is reading it at the moment and just had to say it's a fantastic book by a fantastic author.
Σταμάτης Λαδικός
Πλίνθοι και κέραμοι ατάκτως εριμμένοι. Το ρητό "μετριότης, μετριοτήτων, τα πάντα μετρίοτης" ταιριάζει γάντι εδώ,
Despoina
3,5
Richard
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is another excellent read, the third in the Jack Caffrey Policeman. The book clearly cemented Mo Hayder's status as she has gone on from strength to stregth. I really like the introduction here of two central characters, 'Flea' Marley and The Walking Man who various hold this plot together and look set to influence matters further. Marley is a counter-point to Caffrey and has an equally troubled background, indeed they are somewhat thrown together in this investigation and there is scope fo ...more
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • De Midasmoorden
  • Slip of the Knife (Paddy Meehan, #3)
  • Brother Grimm (Jan Fabel, #2)
  • In the Dark
  • Precious Blood
  • In the Moors (A Shaman Mystery, #1)
  • Pitbull (Deleu #9)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Tell No Tales (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #2)
  • Deadly Deceit (DCI Kate Daniels, #3)
  • The Price of Darkness (DI Joe Faraday, #8)
Mo Hayder left school at fifteen. She worked as a barmaid, security guard, film-maker, hostess in a Tokyo club, educational administrator and teacher of English as a foreign language in Asia. She has an MA in film from The American University in Washington DC and an MA in creative writing from Bath Spa University UK.

Mo lives in Bath with her daughter Lotte-Genevieve.

Series:
* Jack Caffery

Jack Caffery (7 books)
  • Birdman (Jack Caffery, #1)
  • The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2)
  • Skin (Jack Caffery, #4)
  • Gone (Jack Caffery, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Wolf (Jack Caffery, #7)