Start by marking “Bare Knuckle” as Want to Read:
Bare Knuckle

Bare Knuckle

WHEN A MAN WAS REDUCED to asking advice of a tomcat, it didn’t bode well for the state of his affairs. And yet, here Brian Riordan was doing exactly that.

So begins this prequel to the Exit Unicorns series, as we join the Riordan boys in the rough and tumble world of Belfast, Northern Ireland, during a summer of change and promise. Casey Riordan is on the cusp on manhood
Published May 1st 2018 by Starry Night Press

To ask other readers questions about Bare Knuckle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bare Knuckle

Start your review of Bare Knuckle
Hannah Alford
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Bare Knuckle is so incredibly immersive, especially with the excellent audiobook narration. I never expected to enjoy a book focused on an Irish teen boy getting sucked into an illegal bare knuckle fighting ring, but this is now one of my favorite books. I haven’t read Exit Unicorns (of which Bare Knuckle is a prequel) and the rest of the series but I’m going to start them today!

Special thanks to audiobook boom and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an h
Arlene
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again Cindy Brandner has come through with a wonderful story. This is a prequel to the Exit Unicorns series and provides information that fills out the story line. The author has become one of my favorites and I eagerly await each book. Without giving spoilers, it explains why Brian Riordan resumes the life he had given up for his children. This was something that had always puzzled me, but now it makes perfect sense and puts his character into sync with my idea of him.

I highly recommend t
Anne
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another beautifully written story giving some background to the characters who are so admirable from Cindy Brandner's Exit Unicorns series. The story is engrossing and enlightening and the characters written with wonderful depth and soul, far surpassing stereotype, although as Irish as can be. There is a lyrical feeling to the descriptions of the settings, and a wealth of information due to exemplary background research in all of this series. In Bare Knuckles, the personalities really shine. It ...more
Cassandra Strotheide
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although fighting is not a subject I would typically choose to read about it is a necessary element to the Irish struggle and to the nature of the people. This prequel to the original three books delves into the earlier lives of the Riordan family providing insight into these complex and much beloved characters. As with all of Cindy Brandner's books, I was left wanting more.
Shelly
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story of a father who is raising two sons alone in Ireland during difficult times. It’s a coming of age story for the eldest son Casey, who’s one of the main characters in the Exit Unicorn Series.
I’ve read this book several times already, but the narrator Gary Furlong, breaths life into the characters making them that much more real. This is one of those books that you definitely want to listen to in order to get the full effect with the Irish lilt making the story come alive!
Judith D. Stanford
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This book answered a lot of questions in my mind. Not really a short story, more a novella as a lot happens. It is good, honest look into young Casey and Pat when their da was still alive. We all know what happens but this explains the why of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cindy's way with words is even more prevalent here, the book is almost poetic.
Elizabeth J
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this series ❤️

Bradner has a delightful way with words, can't wait for more from her and these characters. Highly recommend for anyone, although probably should read at least the first Exit Unicorns for background.
Rita Boehm
More beautiful prose

Cindy Brandner is a true story teller, one who has the ability to create characters and paint word pictures that stay with you. I am eagerly awaiting her next book.
Leann
Wish it was longer

Cindy does a great job of dropping you right into the story without you feeling lost. I love her articulation and the picture that develops in my minds eye with it, just wish it wasn't so short.
Tani Garberg
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cindy’s books are so good and this short story fits in so well as a more in-depth look into some of the characters in her books. Its a quick read and sucks you in right away with drama and action. It makes you want to know what is going to happen next.
EileenNH
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

This is a work of Art. The sentences are very poetic. The characters are so well developed, that you would think that they would walk right off the page.
Jodie Marshall
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, but worth reading every word!

I love Cindy Brandner’s Exit Unicorn series, so any “extras” I can get are welcome! This book is short, sweet, and worth reading!
Sue
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I loved getting to know Brian Riordan better. I want more. =)
Debbie Dudley
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but a great read.

Cindy is a great story teller. Her characters become so very real and you can't help but to get caught up in their lives.
Jenna Prchal
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it!

I am a fan of all Cindy’s books. She has an amazing attention to detail that makes you feel like you are in Ireland in the time period.
SF Noyes
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't actually finish it. Bored
Geri
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fine book!

I loved having a bit more to read about these wonderful characters after finishing all 4 books. This one was grand as well!
Kathleen Kush
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!

So beautifully written, her writing is so wonderful I feel as if I'm there myself experiencing it. There ppl. are not just characters in a book,they feel like family I NEVER want to go away. I must get 'Spindrift' next and then wait anxiously for the next book.
Jen Webster
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have come to love the characters of this phenomenal series so much . Cindy’s writing is poetic. She is a true master storyteller. This is just a peek into the lives of the Riordan men one fateful summer long before Exit Unicorns and the events that shape their future. Such a wonderful story!! I absolutely loved it!!
Nalana
May 07, 2018
Laura Blake
May 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Die Fotografin - Am Anfang des Weges (Fotografinnen-Saga #1)
  • Out of the Mist: An Outer Banks Mystery
  • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl
  • Fast Lane
  • What the Wind Knows
  • Always Chloe and Other Stories
  • Pig Little Lies (Magic Market Mysteries #5)
  • The Valentine (The Wedding Pact #2.5)
  • The Moonlit Earth
  • Discretion (The Dumonts, #1)
  • Spells & Caramels Box Set Books #1-3 (Spells & Caramels #1-3)
  • One Child in Berlin
  • Shoot the Breeze (Detective Kate Rosetti Mystery #1)
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)

News & Interviews