Start by marking “Creature (Bureau, #3)” as Want to Read:
Creature (Bureau, #3)

Creature

(Bureau #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Alone in a cell and lacking memories of his past, John has no idea who—or what—he is.

Alone on the streets of 1950s Los Angeles, Harry has far too many memories of his painful past and feels simply resignation in facing his empty future.

When Harry is given a chance to achieve his only dream—to become an agent with the Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs—all he has to do is pr
Published May 7th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Creature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creature

Eugenia
***4.5 Stars***

Oh my, I think this is my favorite of the three Bureau stories so far!

Can you say zombies? I know what you’re thinking. You see, zombies aren’t my thing. Dead people are not sexy. Not my kink. So imagine my surprise when I’m blown away by a novella starring a zombie (creature) named John.

Yes, this book was dark, but not because of the “creature.” No, what make this book dark are the humans. It’s how they treat John, how they think of him. John isn’t the creature here.

Then we have
Kim
Apr 10, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Like the other Bureau books, this story can be read as a standalone. All my proceeds from this series go to Doctors Without Borders.

Sometimes I get in the mood for something a little dark, and this time I was in a bit of a noir frame of mind as well, so beginning the story in Los Angeles in 1953 made perfect sense. Similar to the other stories in the series, this one encompasses paranormal aspects and deals with the theme of what separates men from monsters.

Don't be afraid of the dark--there's l
Eli Easton
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yay! This book was a homerun for me. I was listening to an interminably long thriller and got bored with it. I wanted something quick and fun to blast through the book doldrums.  "Creature" was the right pick. I loved it.

Kim begins with a heartbreaking scene showing the "creature", John, in captivity. This immediately establishes empathy for him. I have a soft spot for underdog characters (versus perfect alpha males), and so I fell in love with John at once and had to see him get his happy.

He's
Elena
Beautiful, simply beautiful...

I hope you forgive me Kim Fielding, for sharing so many highlights, but your writing is just exquisite...
I think I love you! ;)

RTC when I'm more coherent than now... ;)

ETA: I am more coherent now... ;)

This story was yet again a win for me. But, no wonder, since it's Kim Fielding :D
In comparison to the first 2 books of the Bureau series, it was... sweeter? I think, that's a good word for John's story. Being a monster (a contemporary take on Frankenstein's creature
Lisazj1
4.5 stars, and my favorite of the Bureau tales so far! This one, more so even than the others, raises the question of what makes someone a monster, or human? It also showed a bit more clearly that The Bureau aren't exactly the good guys.

John has been in solitary confinement in a cell in the basement of The Bureau for so long, he doesn't remember who, or what, he is or how long he's been there. He's weak and wasted, his heart doesn't beat and he doesn't need to eat. But he remembers blue sky and
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Poignant, heartbreaking, but ultimately hopeful, Creature is loosely based on Frankenstein. John has love in him, "the likes of which you can scarcely imagine," and when it's nurtured, he soars.

This story begs the question of what it means to be a human, what it means to love. Harry's touch, his small acts of kindness, make John the man he's always been inside. And John saves Harry too.

The ending feels like a beginning.

Serena Yates
How do you define what a monster is? is the theme of this series. This third installment is set in an alternate reality in the 1950s where a motel room for the night costs eight dollars. Each of the stories so far has looked at the question of what makes someone a monster from a different angle. ‘Creature’ is the one I found most difficult to read, maybe because it is the most extreme case of a “monster” as defined by the Bureau of Trans-Species Affairs. To me there was nothing monstrous about t ...more
Kathleen
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really terrific addition to Kim Fielding’s Bureau series. Beautiful love story emulating the classic Frankenstein’s lonely monster. Set in Portland eight years after WWII. Very atmospheric and reflective of the era. Loved it.
Erica
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot. I've enjoyed this entire series so far. This one, though . . . Maybe it's just the well-developed atmosphere, but it just seemed really, really sad. I'm glad it all worked out in the end, but it made my heart hurt getting there.
Dee Wy
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-fantasy
Another excellent story in the series. I hope the author keeps them coming as I really love these quick reads. Lots of feels and happy endings. Exactly what I want to read.
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is the hint of a monster in all of us; that is one of the takeaways from Kim Fielding’s latest Bureau series release, Creature. I have to agree with the author on that point. Who among us has not done something, to either stranger or kin, that we didn’t regret later, some harsh or uncaring response that could most definitely qualify us as monsters of a sort? However, this novel not only deals with the metaphorical monster inside but a real life man who is the equivalent of a modern day Fra ...more
Gaia
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-faves
Oh my god, this book. I'm so overcome. Could be hormones, or just Ms. Fielding's beautiful writing, but I'm blinking away tears as I write this. It's emotionally charged, powerful and so, so very satisfying. I came to care deeply for Harry and John within a few pages of meeting them. My heart broke with them, soared when they shared their first kiss, shattered when their love seemed doomed to die a bloody death, and then was remade when...they found their HEA. Two flawed characters who are perfe ...more
Bibliophile
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. I'm a fan of this series. They always feel a tad short in my opinion, but they are packed-full of world-building, tell a compelling story, and feature creatures/characters that you want to root for. This one features a fun re-telling (of a sort) of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein which is an added bonus. Can be read as a standalone, but I still recommend starting with book 1. Recommended. :)
Skirmish
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tingle-tangle
Book Reaction: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Soundtrack: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Rating: 5 Stars - absolutely perfect
Ami

Heartbreaking in the beginning but ended sweetly. I liked the fact that the creature (monster) (view spoiler) because of love. What can I say, my romantic heart is comforted with the idea *laugh*

I wish Charles and Tanrael make an appearance though. I miss those two.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This was an incredibly touching story about a “creature” given life after death. John, as he named himself, is quite sentient and though his limbs don’t cooperate, his heart doesn’t beat, and he needs no food or water, he still seems human.

Early in the story when he was still in captivity, as he crawled back into his corner at night after having basked in the joy of a small ray of sunlight that came through his cell window during the day, he captured my heart and never let go. Oh my gosh, Kim Fi
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
5 Stars!

This was definitely my favorite of the three stories, which can be read as standalones. I fell in love with John from the first moment, my heart broke for him and all he'd gone through. He was so sweet and innocent and above all, grateful for whatever good thing that came his way, even the little bit of sunlight he got daily while he was still in his cell. *cuddles John* It took me longer to fall for Harry, but I loved that he made an effort to treat John as a person, when no one else ha
Laurel
This is the saddest thing I’ve read in a while.

John’s story really put me emotionally through the wringer. He’s called ‘it’...a creature and a monster, but he’s anything but.

What other hope do I have but you? And I do hope. I feel...My heart doesn’t beat, but it aches

John and Harry are so perfect for each one. They are two beautiful individuals who have been abused and are so very lonely, so why not get together and create their own happiness? I loved Harry’s kind and protective nature, which
Terri Jones
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Remarkable, strange, and desperately sweet. A perfect addition to this weird world Fielding invented. A love story to the monster.
Tully Vincent
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Hope it continues because I'm eager for the next one already.
Stephanie
I love that these stories are set in a historical (but not too far back) setting with the paranormal aspects. I could picture this filmed in a sort of "Dick Tracy" esque film. Noir meets today.

This also brings me back to the Mary Shelly Frankenstein film (I've not read the book, but I hear the film is the closest to the actual story). The monster was played by Robert DeNeiro and it was the best Frankenstein I've ever seen.

I felt so bad for John (the "monster" has named himself). I couldn't ima
Susana
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Louise Lyons
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I sat down to read this book and didn’t move until I reached the last page. I was instantly intrigued by the creature that is John. I wanted to know what he was and how he came into being. Ms Fielding’s portrayal of the creature is so moving that you can’t help but feel an instant sympathy for its/his suffering and long for something better for him.

When Harry is introduced, he appears to feel the same way as the reader, and his gentleness and kindness to John proves it. He hates what he has to d
Donna
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 00-lgbtq-read
I have found that most monsters are human... so it only makes sense that John was the least "monstrous" person in this story! Harry might not have begun this adventure with a clear path, but when it becomes apparent that John deserved a future? Harry was prepared to die for it! As for Townsend and Shaw? Sometimes it takes a good monster to hunt an evil monster!

I have enjoyed this series of short stories! They each appealed to me in a different way, but they all taught a life lesson that we all c
Sara (BookshelfSOS)
I really loved this little novella. It was such a refreshing read. It didn't get bogged down in too much plot or world-building. There was just enough detail and description to place the story in the mid-20th century West Coast setting. And despite the heavy themes and quite horrifying backstories of both main characters, this was still a sweet and heartfelt story about two good-hearted young men finding their own value and finding love with each other.

Just a simple falling-in-love story: it wa
Heather♥
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading about John's despair and loneliness in the beginning really hit me in the feels. My heart went out to him just trying to imagine that kind of day-to-day existence. Until Harry. And then to experience John's wide-eyed innocence and joy over every day things most people take for granted? Yep, more feels. And a little contemplation of life. I enjoyed this addition to the series and hope there will be more.
April Rock
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The monster is not the creature

This is a great tale, timeless, of the cruelty of humanity ,to those perceived to be less, different , ugly,or simply called monsters. The truth is often a question of cause and effect. this book references the classic Frankenstein, yet tells the tale uniquely its own. I'm. Hooked going to read the series.
Loves
May 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, mystery, paranormal, dnf
Again in the minority, apparently, but DNF at 45%. Couldn't connect with any of the characters and the pace of the plot was agonizingly slow for a novella. Besides, the author overused the shtick of childlike, naive paranormal MCs. It had worked in the past, when contrasted with an adult/cynical/complex/interesting MC; it did not work here. Maybe it was just one too many times for me.
kerryann williams
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome addition to a great series

This is a well written almost heart felt book, a story with a modern twist to an old tale. A love between a so called monster and a damaged man . I loved it .
Never wanted to put the book down and than it was done. Really hoping for another book to this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phone booth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite wor ...more

Bureau (3 books)
  • Corruption (Bureau, #1)
  • Clay White (Bureau, #2)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
  • You and Me, Always
    $14.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99