Start by marking “Perfect Day (New Milton #1)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Day (New Milton #1)

Perfect Day

(New Milton #1)

First love conquers all in Perfect Day, a captivating contemporary male/male retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion.

Love doesn’t burn out just because the timing’s wrong. It grows. It never leaves.

When Joshua Newton, prodigal son of one of New Milton’s elite, fell in love with ambitious young actor Finn Callaghan, his world finally made sense. With every stolen moment,
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 187 pages
Published August 13th 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Day

Start your review of Perfect Day (New Milton #1)
Judith
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

There was one last perfect day.

Modern retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion

Well,this was a pleasant surprise.I'm always a bit nervous about reading something from an Author I haven't come across before but I'm so glad I requested this.I read it in about 24hours,I couldn't put it down once I started it.

Finn and Joshua were from different worlds when they fell in love one summer.They had their future mapped out-it was going to be perfect-until it wasn't-when their dreams ended just like
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Alfred Tennyson was such a fan of Austen's Persuasion, he famously exclaimed, "Show me the exact spot where Louisa Musgrove fell."

I'll do Tennyson one better and shout, "Show me the exact spot where Liz almost drowned!"

Who's Liz, you may ask? She's the woman Finn woos as revenge for Joshua leaving him eight years prior.

But let's back up: Josh and Finn met the summer they were 23 when Finn was working for Josh's father. Josh was upper-crust, wealthy, and played the piano beautifully. Finn had
☆ Todd
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it

As this story started out, in my opinion, it was freaking *PERFECT*. One to give even Anyta Sunday a run for her money in the feels and slow burn department.

I loved the MC's, I loved their story, and there wasn't a single thing that I would've changed.

AND THEN THE RAINS CAME...

Ugh, once Finn finally decided that he needed to get over himself and Josh was "The One" for him, that's when the fuckery began.
Josh ran away, Finn gave chase.

Finn walked away, Josh gave chase.

Josh ran away, Finn gave
Shile
Uh!

description

Don't mind me, It is me not the book. I believe maybe MM contemporary is not my thing.

The story is a retelling of Jane Austen's persuasion which i haven't read and i don't think i will. Maybe i will someday. Unnecessary miscommunication is my biggest pet peeves, and that was the main plot in this book.

The MCs spend 80% of the book tiptoeing around each other over something that could have been solved by just communicating.

The last 20% was rushed and tied up with a neat bow for me to
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I was going to whip up this really pretty review with graphics and squee my head off about how much I loved this book, how I devoured it but that shit takes time, y'know? And I'm chomping at the bit to get to "Love Around the Corner" so I'll leave this quote:

Suddenly, all he wanted was to touch him, No, not wanted, needed. He needed to touch him with a force he hadn't felt in years-like he couldn't breathe unless they were in each other's arms, like his hands couldn't still unless they were
Nazanin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, m-m
4.25 Stars

Love doesn’t burn out just because the timing’s wrong. It stays. Even when you don’t want it to, even when you try to deny it, it stays. It grows. It never leaves.

Perfect Day is a quick read and a second chance love story. It’s well-written with well-developed characters and contains flashbacks but not too much. You can feel every emotion, their love, happiness, and sadness. It’s a bit angsty, just the way I like! Both of them were so likable. Main characters aside, side characters
Ele
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ele by: Tess
Shelves: second-chance
-4.25 stars-
”This is the beginning, Josh. This is the beginning of everything for us.”

But of course it wasn’t. It was the end. It was the last golden hour of the last perfect day.”

What an amazing little gem that was! I’m very glad a friend recommended it or else it would have gone unnoticed.

My friends know that I’m a complete sucker for second chance stories. Perfect Day embodies everything I love about the trope:

-A breakup followed by years of separation.

-The “OMG I just saw you again after
Teal
Persuasion is my least favorite of Austen's novels, so I wasn't sure what I was in for with this modern-day m/m retelling. I do love a good second-chance romance, though, so decided it was worth a try.

There was an appropriate amount of suffering from the injuring party -- a crucial element for me, because I hate it when the reconciliation feels unearned. But Josh stewed in remorse to my heart's content. It would have been easy for this to devolve into a big old angst-fest, but, as the POV
Hollis
I had put off reading this story after reading another m/m retelling of PERSUASION which had released around the same time. I didn't quite love that one, but this one? Oh man. I had feels. I am soft and mushy.

PERSUASION is my favourite Austen, which is hilarious as I'm not a huge fan of second chance romance, but something about it just gets me. And this one did, too.

True, we are a little light on layers for the character development for both leads, but honestly? I don't even care. I felt these
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
This was enjoyable and cute. Especially if you are a Persuasion fan, which I am. It was fun reading how certain scenes and scenarios matched up with Persuasion. CAPTAIN WENTWORTH IS SO UNDERRATED! Was it the most amazing thing I’ve ever read? No. Is it a good lay by the pool read? Yes.

Like I said, fun and cute. I liked the characters though they were pretty two dimensional. Okay, really two delusional and forgettable. The more I think about it the more I’m like, “wait. I don’t even know these
Tess
5 stars

Modern m/m version of Persuasion! It's one of my favourite Austen novels and it's the ultimate second chance love story. This version captured everything I loved about Persuasion, and second chance romance in general. So beautifully written too.
Anyta Sunday
Amazingly atmospheric, and a wonderful slow burn (my favorite trope). Sweet and gentle, I loved Joshua.
CrabbyPatty
Ooh, I adored this story of second chances! Josh and Finn are young passionate lovers who plan to go away to California to start a new life together - Finn as an actor and Josh a concert violinist. But when the moment comes, Josh reneges and remains home with his dysfunctional family. Eight years later, they meet again when Finn's brother buys Josh's familial home in New Milton.

Malcolm writes so beautifully and emotionally of Josh's regret when he sees Finn again and finally realizes he threw
Caz
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-other, arc, aar, m-m
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Sally Malcolm’s first published m/m romance is a contemporary retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion (which regularly vies with Emma for first place in my ranking of Austen’s novels!) set in a sleepy New York seaside town. I admit I’m usually a bit wary of retellings of classic novels – especially when they’re great personal favourites – but I’ve known the author on and off for over a decade, I enjoy her writing and was confident that
Claire
The writing flows beautifully keeping you in the story with ease.
I loved both Josh and Finn.

My first book from this author.
Alisa

I loved this. I have a feeling this will end up on my Top 10 books of the year. This is a m/m retelling of Jane Austin's Persuasion. You do not have to have read that though to enjoy this. The author takes the bones of that story but modernizes it.

The prologue starts in the past where we see Josh and Finn happy and in love. When the rest of the book begins it is 8 years down the road. The two men have gone down different paths and they haven't seen each other again.

The majority of the story is
Chris, the Dalek King
This year might have had a lot of ups and downs, but so far it has also given me two queered Jane Austen retellings that have hit it out the park.

This one, a reimaging of Austen’s Persuasion, was thoroughly enjoyable, emotionally enthralling, and damn entertaining. I’ve always loved this particular book of Austen’s. It has an emotional gut-punch that is only really rivaled by Sense and Sensibility, for me, and I was freaking over the moon when I realized that Sally Malcolm was going to queer it
.Lili.
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing

-Second chance romance
-UST
-Feels: anger, resentment, longing, heartbreak, hope, love.

The writing was stellar!

Once started, I couldn't put down Perfect Day by Sally Malcolm.

4.5 Stars! Starting book 2 now!
Ann
You know those books with characters who are perfect for each other, but life happens, time happens and then they get a second chance and it hurts your heart, but also makes you ridiculously happy?

Yeah, that's this.
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

This was an emotional story, so much more than I was expecting. Finn and Josh were truly in love and it was unfortunate that they found each other when they were so young and just starting their lives. Josh was scared of the future and what it would do to Finn if Josh followed him out to Hollywood. And he was afraid of losing his family by coming out as gay and NOT doing what his father expected - going to college for an MBA.
Bev
AND from me.

The fact that I spent most of the story with that wet stuff in my eyes is irrelevant. This was a superb recreation of Jane Austen's Persuasion for us M/M addicts, so full of feels it sometimes hurt to read the story .

Josh's loneliness was an almost palpable thing and Finn was a complete swine to him at first, just to get revenge for the fact that 8 years ago Josh had had the decency to let him go, refusing to hold him or his acting career back. Josh's family?? Absolute arses, the
Bookreader87(Amanda)

The first few chapters in the beginning are told with Now and Then, which I liked, but after about chapter 4 it stays in the now. The then being the beginning of Joshua and Finn's relationship and the now being 8 years after the relationship ended. 8 years where feelings of hurt and anger still linger.

I liked the book for the most part but there was a heavy feeling of melancholy through out it. Josh's heartache was heavy and seeped through the pages. For me, it took too many pages for
Mike Oaks
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Story

With names like Josh and Finn you already know this story is going to be amazing. And it was. Every page kept me wanting more. Great characters and well written. Their lives may have taken a detour down different roads, but their love remained strong. Eventually they’ll figure out how to get to the same place. 4.75 for Drives.
Bibliophile
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read, especially if you're a fan of Jane Austen's Persuasion. Lots of angst, but that just made the reunion especially sweet. :)
Amazonaute
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was fuckin’ awful. I two starred it because the author can write, but everything about this was awful.

It reminded me of an m/f from about 40 years ago. Finn’s the man, and josh is the woman. Plug’m right in. All the (self imposed) torture!! All the angst! All the suffering! Finn is a douche because he’s hurt and josh is sweet passive and long suffering. And being a humble music teacher even though he is so talented . And they can’t communicate like adults, because they are both so hurt.
J1B
This book bills itself as a retelling of Jane Austin's Persuasion, but I don't remember Anne previously dating Sarah or Frederick having a line of boyfriends in his past. And this, folks, is a perfect example of pervasive and harmful heteronormativity. A true MM romance rendition of Austin's classic would feature gay main characters in a gay relationship, but for some reason that I will never understand, MM authors (and sorry, but almost entirely female authors) just CAN NOT shed the ...more
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
First 80% - perfect
Last 20% - frustrating & cheesy
Evie Drae
Well, this week’s read was a downright pleasure, folks. It wasn’t what I was expecting going in, yet I came out the other side thoroughly sated and filled with all the happiest of little sighs. Perfect Day by Sally Malcolm is a gender-bending retell of the classic Persuasion by Jane Austen. And, oh my heart, what a sweet and wonderful twist on that tale it was.

It didn’t march side-by-side with the plot of Persuasion, but it held true in all the areas that mattered most. Really, though, it’s
ButtonsMom2003
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous, wonderful story! 5+ stars.

This seems to be my year for reading books that retell stories by famous authors. Perfect Day is a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion and I LOVED it.

I must confess that I've never read any of Jane Austen's books but this is the second retelling of Persuasion that I've read recently. While I enjoyed the first one very much this one really hit me in the feels so hard! Perfect Day is also the first book I've read by Sally Malcolm and I was so happy to
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Undue Influence: A Persuasion Retelling
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Lights and Sirens (Emergency Services #2)
  • Better Not Pout
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • I Saw You First
  • 3 Dates
  • One Step Back
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
Sally Malcolm was bitten by the m/m romance bug in 2016 and hasn’t looked back. It’s fair to say she’s obsessed with the genre. She has four contemporary m/m romances out, set in the fictional Long Island seaside town of New Milton.

She's also the author of eight Stargate novels and novellas, including the hit "Apocalypse" trilogy. She has penned four Stargate audio dramas for Big Finish

New Milton (3 books)
  • Between the Lines (New Milton #2)
  • Twice Shy (New Milton #3)