Start by marking “The Colonial Post-Captain (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #1)” as Want to Read:
The Colonial Post-Captain (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #1)

The Colonial Post-Captain

(Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #1)

Captain Carlisle hails from Virginia, a loyal colony of the British Crown. As the clouds of war gather, Carlisle’s small frigate — Fury — is ordered to Toulon on a reconnaissance mission. If battling the
Published September 28th 2017 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about The Colonial Post-Captain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Colonial Post-Captain

Start your review of The Colonial Post-Captain (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #1)
HBalikov
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like almost everything about how author Durbin debuts this naval series:

---The setting:

“The Western Mediterranean, 1756. An uneasy peace is about to be shattered as France’s greatest living general prepares an invasion force in Toulon; but where is it bound?
Captain Carlisle hails from Virginia, a loyal colony of the British Crown. As the clouds of war gather, Carlisle’s small frigate — Fury — is ordered to Toulon on a reconnaissance mission.”

---The ties to American history of the period:

"He wo
Christopher Taylor
This is the first book in a series of novels about a sea captain for Great Britain, but there are a couple of twists which make it a bit more interesting.

First, the captain is American, from "the colonies" so he is almost entirely lacking in "interest" or connections with London society. Second, the setting is in the 1750s during the "seven years war" (French and Indian War to we Americans), instead of the Napoleonic wars which is the usual setting for sea novels.

This novel in particular covers
Paul
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cracking first novel by Chris Durbin which nicely sets up the reader for the intended series following the exploits of the two main protagonists, Carlisle, the Virginian (and so colonial) Post-Captain and Holbrooke, one of his junior officers. Set in the period some years before the French Revolutionary Wars, this makes a pleasant change from others in this genre as the historical events setting the scene for the story may be less familiar to the reader.

Chris develops the characters well and
Edoardo Albert
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In literary terms I have two guilty pleasures: military SF (ie. big guys usually wearing exosuits blasting aliens) and Napoleonic-era naval fiction. Add to that a third: naval fiction set during (and just before) the Seven Years' War, the global conflict between Britain and its allies, and France and her allies, that saw the British ascend to a place among the global powers. In naval terms, Chris Durbin's first novel telling the adventures of Captain Carlisle, a colonial American serving in His ...more
Alaric
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written novel that entertains and educates and a brilliant start to a series. Highly recommended.
James savana
Authentic and well crafted

Having cut my literary teeth on Horatio Hornblower and ventured into many other such tales it is inevitable that my benchmark is C.S. F. Most pale against the comparison. Captain Carlisle stands alongside Admiral Hornblower as a credible character revealing a credible tale. Holbrook is a bit less so but then he does stand a bit in Carlisle shadow. Well told, historically accurate and heartily recommended!
Trey Tudor
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ENJOYED IT IMMENSELY!

A fine read, the right mix of politics, battle, and yes, romance. Having read much from the Napoleonic Wars, this era of British Naval history was new to me. But with Mr. Durbin's skillful narration, I'm hooked. Eagerly starting the next book soon. Well done, sir!
Becky Stickley
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Fact-based British Naval Adventure Series Begins in the Seven Years War

Are you looking for an action-packed, fact-based British naval adventure with relatable characters that won’t leave you feeling depressed? Look no farther. Author Chris Durbin has chosen to set the series at the beginning of the Seven Years War (French & Indian War to Yanks). Captain Edward Carlisle is a rarity among British commissioned officers, a colonial from Virginia. This fact lends itself to all kinds of possibilit
Jaime Ponseti
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read for lovers of 18th Century Naval fiction

I have read most of the noted series of historical fiction set during the age of fighting sail. In my view, Mr. Durbin, with "The Colonial Post-Captain", has exceeded expectations. His characters are complex, sympathetic and well developed, including his incorporation of details and insights of some of the lower deck sailors. Also, this is the first series set this early when the hardscrabble traditions referenced in the many series set in t
Veljko
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well there is not much to tell. Not a especially good book in my opinion. Prose is fine but I never felt emersed in to the story. Also at times there would be extreme cases of "tell don't show" then in other the exactly opposite. Characters are mostly dull with very little development. I especially find Holbroke very boring so much that I often wanted to skim his povs, even though ironically he has most character development. Romance part of the book was rushed with little build up so it falls f ...more
Mike
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in an earlier period to most historical naval fiction this covers the 7 year war between Britain and France. Chris Durbin has managed to create an interesting story about an American born naval captain who is demeaned by his peers for being from what was then a British colony.

Wrapped around the tensions and, finally, open warfare in the western Mediterranean and the events that led to the shooting of Admiral Byng is a stirring tale of naval adventures, national and international politics an
Stephen
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly enjoyable naval yarn

This is a very entertaining introduction to Captain Carlisle, post-captain of HMS Fury, and midshipman George Holbrook. I was not really aware of the 7 years war previously and this has proven highly informative. Although Carlisle and Holbrook are fictional the central theme is historically accurate. I found the navigational terms somewhat baffling, but this did not detract from the tale which has a good pace and proved a real page turner. I shall read the next in th
Jeffery B.
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read and a good story

I really enjoyed this book by Chris Durbin. As a long time Patrick O’Brien fan, I’m always on the lookout for a good historical naval novel. Durbin delivers! His characters are well developed, he tells a good story, and weaves it all together following documented historical events. His work reads easily. He doesn’t weave his plots as thickly as O’Brien and you won’t find O’Brien’s use of period language, but Durbin’s work is good stuff. Nice job Mr Durbin! I’ll rea
Adam M Robinson
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good naval history novel

Interesting book of an English warship in the 1750s. Characters are well developed. The maritime terminology is sometimes difficult to. Perhaps a little more description would help. Kindle makes it easy to look up words. Wish there was more detail description of naval battles. They seem to have a lot of buildup and then it is over. Looking forward next in series
Joseph Lynch
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finish this first book Of Mr. Durbin's having previously read the other three adventures of Capt. Carlisle and Lt. Holbrooke. This one like the other three is well written and enjoyable. If I had read it first I definitely would have read is other adventures. The book like his others is well researched, well written and makes for an enjoyable read. I am looking forward to further adventures of the Capt. and Lt. along with his very capable and intrepid crew. ...more
gerry
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting accounting of battles on the Mediterranean Sea prior to the French and Indian war

The author knows his naval history and his focus on the developing characters of Carlisle and Holbrook is fascinating. The court marshall of Admiral Byng was quite a shock. The descriptions of the many boats and and their sailing techniques tells the reader that Mr. Durbin must be an avid and skilled sailor. If you love boats and history, you will probably enjoy this novel.
Grant E Moulton
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself caught up in the adventures of Carlisle and Holbrooke, possibly more than the more "heroic" Hornblower novels, which I really like. They are real men with real problems, but they grow and live up to the tasks set before them. The adventures keep me reading, allowing me to experience their day but they also tell me how lucky I am to be born in a day when I can read instead of experience their world. ...more
Robert W Jenkins
A Colonialist in the Royal Navy

Great ship handling, believable relationships and well written prose make this a real page turner. As the captain is from Virginia though I would believe he must have endured from the British upper class officers much disdain. The story though rings true and it is about a period that hasn't been written about much. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Bill K
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to continuing the series. This book is well written and appears to be well researched.

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and/or is interested in the the Napoleonic wars.the

Reminded me of Cornwell's Sharpe series.
Dave Becker
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. It's got really great technical writing, but still accessible by a land lubber like me. It's got a fantastic story - the characters are a little wooden, which is why it's 4 stars, not 5, but I suspect there is more development by Holbrooke and Carlisle in the coming volumes, which I will definitely read. ...more
Anthony King
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captain America.

Five stars for a great story , one that puts me in mind of Alexander Kent's Bolitho & Dudley Pope's Ramage series. Having FURY defeat a heavier opponent by raking her before boarding is classic 'wooden walls' strategy. So, praise indeed from a veteran, albeit an Army one!
Jes M
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll read book 2

If you've run out of Patrick O'Brien and are looking for his natural successor, you may just have found him. After book 2 I'll know for sure! Manages the O'Brien (and C J Sansom) gift of conjuring an atmosphere without throwing spurious adjectives all over the place. Most enjoyable and recommended.
DAVID K WALKER
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anchors a weigh for a new series

An excellent seafaring tale of a time normally ignored. Durbin has obviously researched very well. His writing style is well paced and makes me want to turn the pages to follow the adventures of the two main characters. I hope further books will follow in the series.
reader
Mar 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and decent story line

This is very reminiscent of hornblower placed in an earlier time period. It is well researched. Thw story is a bit predictable but in a familiar easy going way that still makes it interesting. Unfortunately it suffers a blindness toward Islam that is a bit unpalatable and certainly ahistorical.
Roland Eckert
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good

As a fan of novels set in the naval aspects of the Napoleon Wars this was a great read. A very good balance of naval warfare and human character development. I look forward to the continuation of thus series.
Gary A.
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

I enjoyed the development of the characters. The sea battles were vivid although at times a challenge to follow. Which makes them all the more exciting. Looking for more action by this new duo.
anthony heazell
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love honour and promotion, wow

It did enjoy the first of this series and am about to start book 2. Thankyou for so much navel experience without being too technical for a regualar at naval historical novels.
Alan  Main
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Proudly take your place among the great sea adventure writers, this is a cracking good read. Carlisle and Holbrooke can rightly stand alongside Bolitho, Hornblower and all the rest. Leaving off now to start book number 2.
T.S. Williams
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Age of Sail classic

A failing Officer, a brave but inexperienced Captain testing his metal, a crew that had long known peace.

All set to the background of an epic clash of empires.

Great yarn.
Larry Kurmel
Exciting new seafaring adventures. A gifted author, authentic descriptive ability, credible context of the history and gepgraphy, and spellbinding story line. I like the characters aswell. Good stuff!

• Perilous Shore (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #6)
  • Niagara Squadron (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventure #8)
  • Rocks and Shoals (The Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #7)
  • A Stormy Peace (Lieutenant Oliver Anson Book 4)
  • A Sloop of War (Alexander Clay Book 2)
  • In Northern Seas (Alexander Clay Series Book 7)
  • The Special Operations Flotilla
  • The Captain's Nephew (The Alexander Clay Series Book 1)
  • A Talent For Trouble
  • The Trojan Horse
  • The Normandy Privateer: A thrilling naval adventure with Lieutenant Oliver Anson
  • The Distant Ocean (Alexander Clay Series Book 5)
  • The Tempest
  • Agent Provocateur
  • A Man of No Country (Alexander Clay Series Book 4)
  • Vendetta
  • Strike the Red Flag: More thrilling naval warfare with Lieutenant Oliver Anson
  • Larcum Mudge (Alexander Clay Series Book 8)
Chris Durbin grew up in the seaside town of Porthcawl in South Wales. His first experience of sailing was as a sea cadet in the treacherous tideway of the Bristol Channel, and at the age of sixteen, he spent a week in a topsail schooner in the Southwest Approaches. He was a crew member on the Porthcawl lifeboat before joining the navy.

Chris spent twenty-four years as a warfare officer in the Royal

Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures (8 books)
  • The Leeward Islands Squadron (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #2)
  • The Jamaica Station (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #3)
  • Holbrooke's Tide (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #4)
  • The Cursed Fortress (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #5)
  • Perilous Shore (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #6)
  • Rocks and Shoals (The Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventures #7)
  • Niagara Squadron (Carlisle & Holbrooke Naval Adventure #8)

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...