Start by marking “Cast Long Shadows (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cast Long Shadows (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #2)

Cast Long Shadows

(Ghosts of the Shadow Market #2)

Matthew Fairchild is the Consul’s son and the golden-haired boy of the Nephilim. He has the love of his family and his parabatai James Herondale, and nothing to wish for, except excitement and artistry and beauty that do not seem to fit in with a warrior’s way of life. Matthew gets more than he bargained for at the Shadow Market, where he commits the greatest sin of his li ...more
Published May 8th 2018 by Shadow Market Enterprises, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Cast Long Shadows, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Marianne No, I don’t think so either. I think he was convinced when Papa told him he was named after his Great Aunt Matilda.

Start your review of Cast Long Shadows (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #2)
Emma Giordano
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars! I really enjoyed this novella. I've mentioned before that I sometimes don't enjoy Cassie Clare novellas as much as full novels, but I really loved this one!

CW: (view spoiler) I don't typically hide content warnings because I believe they should be easy to access for those who need them, but I feel this one is particularly spoilery and people should be able to choose whether or not they want to see it.

I felt the storyline of Brother Zachariah at the Shadow
Līga Sproģe
7/03/2018

Me, trying to remember all the family trees and relationships:

description

Me, when all of these series will finally be over, remembering how I first took "City of Bones" in my hands...

9/05/2018

Matthew, das gay!!

description

ha, i KNEW i won't be able to remember all Herondale-Lightwood-Fairchild-Carstairs lineage. But I had a feeling this was feelsy, u feel me? Like, if I'd reread Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy I could give this higher rating because I would actually know what is going on? But I had a fee
Melanie
“Old sins cast long shadows.”

Okay, I’m still hyped for The Last Hours though, but I think it is mostly for James Herondale, even though Matthew Fairchild is such a little sweetheart. I loved seeing him interact with Brother Zachariah, and loving him just because so many of his loved ones love him. I love that feeling, and I think that’s something in life that I experience a lot that books rarely depict. But in this short story takes place in London 1901, and we get to see Matthew dea
Kai
May 10, 2018 marked it as never-in-my-life  ·  review of another edition
Cassandra Clare's covers have never looked worse
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
*4.5 stars*
PUNCH ME IN THE HEART, WHY DON'T YOU?
Oh man, I'm so obsessed with these characters already! I NEED CHAIN OF GOLD RIGHT NOW!
Noha Badawi
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m so going to love The Last Hours
☆ Annie ☆
You know, sometimes, with Cassie's books whether they are big or small, you just need a moment to let everything sink in. To give your heart a break after seeing people you love so well and that you miss so much. To put your mind at ease after being teased for something that won't be here for quite some time. To slow your breathing. And to just return to reality. Cause you know, sometimes living in Cassie's worlds is just simply better and nothing really ever compares.
Cast Long Shadows is as m
Beth
3.5 Stars Maybe?

"I watched a secret almost destroy a man once, the finest man ever made. Such a secret is like keeping treasure in a tomb. Little by little, poison eats away at the gold. By the time the door is opened, there may be nothing left but dust."

I'm not going to lie, this isn't my favourite Cassandra Clare short story, I think especially after Son of the Dawn was so well done for such a short story. This time around not so much. Everyone who knows me, knows I'm absolute trash for anythi
Laura Herondale
*Spoilers ahead*

4.5*

Things I loved:
-Matthew Fairchild is the most precious thing
-His love for his father is so cute
-“Has no kind soul thought to inform you that your hairstyle is, to use the gentlest words available to me, ill-advised? A friend? Your papa? Does nobody care enough to prevent you from making a spectacle of yourself? Or are you simply too busy perpetrating acts of evil upon the innocent to bother about your unfortunate appearance?”
-Honestly the greatest insult
-Jem and Matthew at th
Carrie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cast Long Shadows by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan is the second novella in the young adult paranormal fantasy Ghosts of the Shadow Market series. This series is another companion set of novellas that are brief glimpses into events set in the Shadowhunter world of the Mortal Instruments series.

As much as I love Clare's entire Shadowhunter world I will admit that sometimes it gets a bit confusing when going back over 100 years and having some characters pop up that are similar to later c
Zoë ☆
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I couldn't help myself and bought the ebook.... And I don't regret it! I just love all of these characters! :) But I have to admit, I was kind of confused at the start about who was who's child and stuff, but I think I got it now XD Now we have to wait for another month... :P
Beenish
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cassandra-clare
Old Sins Cast Long Shadows
I read Chain of Gold and there was something I didn't understand which I do now after having read this short story. I'd suggest you people read this book before Chain of Gold.
I cannot tell just how much I love Matthew Fairchild
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
“This is why we are chosen warrior partners, because we share such a perfect bond of sympathy. Come to me, Jamie, that we might share a manly embrace.”

Oh, Matthew Fairchild how I adore you. And all the Herondale/Lightwood children. It feels wonderful to be going back this far. Seeing the children of characters that I grew to love so much.

I loved seeing Charlotte and Henry’s relationship. It has been years since I read The Infernal Devices but the image of them came back to me like it was yes
Cassandra
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Is that why you insist on carrying about enormous tomes everywhere you go, that you might visit violence upon innocent persons? Done to death by my best friend - my heart's brother - my own dear parabatai-"

I'm going to get this out of the way early: I went into this much more hesitant than the other short stories in the past. This is setting up for the fourth Shadowhunters series and I'm beginning to worry that I'm going to fall out of love with these books and this universe soon.

Suzanne
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is just something about Jem & Will together on a page that just does me in! Loved reading about Matthew (and of course James). The shadow market is not a good place for Matthew we learn very early (as early as possible in a short story lol). Still a good fix on some of the characters we love from these Shadowhunter series.

My quick and simple overall: quick, enjoyable little read.
Alexandra Elend Wolf
"Bad news comes like rain and good news like lighting, barely seen before a crash."

What a lovely, heartbreaking, warm read.

Contradicting much? Maybe, but in my defense, this tiny little snippet has the deepness and feeling of a much larger book.

In less than a hundred pages we are told this story that's captivating and plays with our heartstrings.

Matthew Fairchild is a very lively character, so full of life and innocence that it's difficult not to smile at him. Yet even in the sunnier of pl
Razan
Oh poor Matthew 😭
Maureen
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BIG OOF.
Iris
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any and all Shadowhunter fans out there
SO GOOD!!! These novellas are all INCREDIBLY PAINFUL, and I love it, and AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I fell in love with Matthew. He was such a lovely character, and I loved seeing how he went from this sweet innocent child to someone who was so hurt (I know, I'm mean.) (Honestly that just sounds super wrong, and not really like what I'm even trying to say, but... You probably know what I mean...).

He was wonderful, and I hope we get to see more of him in future books.

And also did I mention how much this stor
Diana (booksinarmor)
5/10/18
OKAY. OKAY. SO THIS BOOK BROKE ME.
I CRIED SO MUCH!
IloveMatthewsomuch.
I don't think anyone can understand, but like I don't understand how I can love a character so much after only 2 novellas. I do not condone Matthew's actions in any way, but at the same time I completely understand what he did. I ship him so much with Lucie, there friendship is so sweet and nice AND I REALLY HOPE IT BECOMES A FRIENDS TO LOVERS TROPE!

Also the ending Heronstairs scene UGH >HEART EYES<

OH AND THOMAS IS ADO
sam ☆
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella-read
A secret too long kept can kill a soul by inches. I watched a secret almost destroy a man once, the finest man ever made. Such a secret is like keeping treasure in a tomb. Little by little, poison eats away at the gold. By the time the door is opened, there may be nothing left but dust.

4/5⭐

I'm so happy to be able to read about some of my favorite characters again. Also I'm really intrigued by Matthew Fairchild's personality so I can't wait to see his character growth in the upcoming books!
✨ A ✨
I love Mathew Fairchild. review to come
Ana
All those TID feels rushing back! Oh, my heart…

How far? asked Jem.
Will smiled. ‘Need you ask? I will go with you as far as I possibly may.’”

Matthew Fairchild, with his cheerful, dramatic personality, was a great introduction to The Last Hours. The friendship between James and Matthew is just too precious. However, the entire incident with Henry and Charlotte… my heart broke for them, especially for Charlotte… And for Matthew, too, his doubts and fears will certainly deepen and affect him, not
Reem Ghabbany
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THESE SHORT STORIES SO MUCH
Shannon (leaninglights)
You know I CANNOT handle Jem/Will scenes! Gahhhh. I really need to reread TID... getting excited for TLH!
shirley ♡
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-bfs, 2020, fantasy, 2018
I decided to reread this story because since I read this story in 2018, Matthew Fairchild became my favorite—male—character in this series.

I love Matthew so much and I want for him is to be happy but that I know that in order for him to get a happy ending (if he does get it) he’s going to have to suffer a lot first.

I really can’t wait to read Chain of Gold in March. It’s my most anticipated book of the year and I’m really excited/scared to see what’s going to happen to my boy Matthew in the se
TheEuphoricZat
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's lovely to go back to all these characters that I love so much. We only got little of Matthew from shadowhunter academy.
I am happy that we get to see him again and also finally what happened to his mother
Maria
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carmen (Oh, the Book Feels!) Seda
I just love these characters so much.

• The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me, #5.5)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
  • Opal (The Raven Cycle, #4.5)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Assassin and the Healer (Throne of Glass, #0.2)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • Neon brothers
  • The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5)
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

Ghosts of the Shadow Market (1 books)
  • Ghosts of the Shadow Market